Consciousness As Reaction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

de budding

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:12 pm
@boagie,
Quote:
A way out of this loop is to realise that teh possibility exists that "creation" is a continuous process, which exists outside the realm of causality; space and time. That leads us to Kant's transcendental again.

Can you elaborate? or point me in the direction of some related material please. Smile
Dan.

boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:12 pm
@de budding,
A way out of this loop is to realise that teh possibility exists that "creation" is a continuous process, which exists outside the realm of causality; space and time. That leads us to Kant's transcendental again."

de budding.Smile

:)Creation is on going, and it is called evolutionary biology, and its entirely reactionary and relational in its nature, the physical world being that which our biologies react/adapt to, and in a less than obvious way our biologies are reacted to by changing of the basic chemistry of the atmosphere, which in turn once again, life will react to, and so it goes on and on.

boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 09:49 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Allow me to pauze for a moment then. Are we agreed on the consciousness and self-consciousness as relating to first and second order logic?

Arjen,

:mad:No we are not agreed, and I did not indicate that I was going become a student of yours, a little presumptuous on your part. What questions or statements do you have about the stated premise, straightforwardly. If you insist in staying in obsurity then do not respond to my posts, your wasting your time and mine.Sad

nameless

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 12:35 am
@boagie,
boagie;15002 wrote:
Trying to touch on all your points, deliberate behaviour, yes, there is deliberate behaviour in deciding upon the choice between reactions

Now your getting a bit.. obtuse? How can ("there is no such thing as freewill,") yet ("there are but choices in the way you might react"). The nature of 'choice' implies the 'freedom' to make that informed 'choice'. And if you are making a considered 'choice' then that also implies 'action'. But I can see how you can attribute 'reaction', to some extent, even to the 'thought processes' relating to the 'choice'.
One cannot have 'reaction', anyway, without there being likewise 'action'; one implies the other.
"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective." -Book of Fudd (6:6:6)

Quote:
, but even action is a reaction to intent,

Seems like a stretch, but I can see your intent

Quote:
There is no cause and effect, it is all reaction.

Can't be. If there is 'reaction', there must, logically, be 'action'; it is definitional, context. Thats been my experience in every universe that I have observed. There are no one sided coins.

Quote:
That we can dwell on a little more as the thread develops. Did I miss anything, let me know if I have.Smile

If you like, though, I think that I see where you are comming from...
Peace

boagie

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 07:31 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Now your getting a bit.. obtuse? How can ("there is no such thing as freewill,") yet ("there are but choices in the way you might react"). The nature of 'choice' implies the 'freedom' to make that informed 'choice'. And if you are making a considered 'choice' then that also implies 'action'. But I can see how you can attribute 'reaction', to some extent, even to the 'thought processes' relating to the 'choice'.
One cannot have 'reaction', anyway, without there being likewise 'action'; one implies the other.
"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective." -Book of Fudd (6:6:6)
Seems like a stretch, but I can see your intent

Can't be. If there is 'reaction', there must, logically, be 'action'; it is definitional, context. Thats been my experience in every universe that I have observed. There are no one sided coins.

If you like, though, I think that I see where you are comming from...
Peace

"Can't be. If there is 'reaction', there must, logically, be 'action'; it is definitional, context. Thats been my experience in every universe that I have observed. There are no one sided coins." nameless

nameless:)

:)Yes it is a definitional context, as contexts tend to be, but only if the context is linear cause and effect. One still might speculate forever about a first cause, but it is as intangiable as concrete knowledge of any particular divinity------"I care not for Zeus, let him do as he will!"--Prometheus Unbound-----liver anyone!!

:)Nameless, if your defination of freewill holds under the reality that the subject does not have the ability NOT to react, that the subject does not enjoy autonomy from context, yet you still believe in this freewill because there are lots of choices? Freewill is autonomy or it is nothing, and it is, nothing.

de budding

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 09:07 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,

:mad:No we are not agreed, and I did not indicate that I was going become a student of yours, a little presumptuous on your part. What questions or statements do you have about the stated premise, straightforwardly. If you insist in staying in obsurity then do not respond to my posts, your wasting your time and mine.Sad

Mind your tongue boagie. Smile

Arjen

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 12:43 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen:)

I fear you protest to much, if you believe in the first cause, tell me how it came to be, and, seeing as being itself is relational, if first cause was a something/actual it is only something due to its relational nature of a combined duality. If you wish to question something I have stated do not present a course for one and all to take, ask your question directly and I shall do my best to answer it accurately and honestly-----no home study courses!!Sad Obsurity does not equal enlightenment.

Boagie,

I do not think you understood my post. I pointed towards the "point" where your causal theory refutes itself:

For your theory to be plasible the physical reality cannot be causal. However, it is inside the realm of space and time and therefore causal. That is where the theory refutes itself and that is how people came to the thought of a first mover.

I never said I think that theory is true. I do commend the theory for its realisation that things cannot exist as reaction alone; instead of merely ignoring that. I hope you see that you answering a question from your present opinion on the matter is not what I am after.

In the post you are replying to (in the quoted post) I have presented a theory outstepping present theories on this matter, which solves all problems on a religious, scientific and philosophical scale. Perhaps you should read it again and try to understand why I am asking you to reconsider your present opinions on the matter.

p.s. I have been very straightforward and have explained all that needs explaining in a few simple sentences. Perhaps a few questions from your side can clarify things for you?

boagie

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 01:29 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Boagie,

I do not think you understood my post. I pointed towards the "point" where your causal theory refutes itself:

For your theory to be plasible the physical reality cannot be causal. However, it is inside the realm of space and time and therefore causal. That is where the theory refutes itself and that is how people came to the thought of a first mover.

I never said I think that theory is true. I do commend the theory for its realisation that things cannot exist as reaction alone; instead of merely ignoring that. I hope you see that you answering a question from your present opinion on the matter is not what I am after.

In the post you are replying to (in the quoted post) I have presented a theory outstepping present theories on this matter, which solves all problems on a religious, scientific and philosophical scale. Perhaps you should read it again and try to understand why I am asking you to reconsider your present opinions on the matter.

p.s. I have been very straightforward and have explained all that needs explaining in a few simple sentences. Perhaps a few questions from your side can clarify things for you?

Arjen,Smile

:)The premise as presented by me is anything but causal, for that you have the long established cause and effect. You may be able to infer cause, example first cause, to get the convenient causual ball rolling so it can bump into something and thus begin the world with its effect, in fact, you can do nothing but infer this first cause. At anyrate we are faced with what is, and does it look like a cause effect world or does it look like a world of relational reality.

For my theory to be plausible you state, it must be casual, that is not really a new stance, cause and effect fit the bill nicely. Any theory which you might come up with is going to involve time and space, when you find one the does not, take it to the bank. Just prove to me, as matter of factly, as you infer, that there is indeed a first cause. If you have come up with a theory that out strips all present knowledge of the day and deals with all possiable complaints that might possiably arise, take it to a scientific journal man, what is a first rate genious like you doing here??

Smile"In the post you are replying to (in the quoted post) I have presented a theory outstepping present theories on this matter, which solves all problems on a religious, scientific and philosophical scale. Perhaps you should read it again and try to understand why I am asking you to reconsider your present opinions on the matter."

Arjen, It is best that we nolonger communicate with each other, I am sure you have peers, I am just not one of them. Good Luck! boagie:D

Arjen

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2008 01:59 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,Smile

:)The premise as presented by me is anything but causal, for that you have the long established cause and effect. You may be able to infer cause, example first cause, to get the convenient causual ball rolling so it can bump into something and thus begin the world with its effect, in fact, you can do nothing but infer this first cause. At anyrate we are faced with what is, and does it look like a cause effect world or does it look like a world of relational reality.

For my theory to be plausible you state, it must be casual, that is not really a new stance, cause and effect fit the bill nicely. Any theory which you might come up with is going to involve time and space, when you find one the does not, take it to the bank. Just prove to me, as matter of factly, as you infer, that there is indeed a first cause. If you have come up with a theory that out strips all present knowledge of the day and deals with all possiable complaints that might possiably arise, take it to a scientific journal man, what is a first rate genious like you doing here??

I joined because I wanted to get some serious discussions going, but it appears that I am mostly talking to myself.

Quote:

Arjen, It is best that we nolonger communicate with each other, I am sure you have peers, I am just not one of them. Good Luck! boagie:D

I noticed. I am sorry you are unwilling to re-examine your thoughts. That makes you stuck and not growing. That is the only difference between us. When you are willing to re-examine your own thoughts, I am always willing to discuss things.

nameless

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 03:15 am
@boagie,
boagie;15119 wrote:
nameless wrote:
"Can't be. If there is 'reaction', there must, logically, be 'action'; it is definitional, context. Thats been my experience in every universe that I have observed. There are no one sided coins." nameless

nameless:)

:)Yes it is a definitional context, as contexts tend to be, but only if the context is linear cause and effect.

Context = Definition.
Not so. There is no 'cause and effect' the 'concepts' (of 'action' and 'reaction') are mutually arising. Balanced. Coins are not created one side at a time. Can't be.

Quote:
One still might speculate forever about a first cause, but it is as intangiable

Perhaps intangible, but that 'action' is 'here' along with 'reaction' nontheless. And it is fairly perspectival that much of what you dismiss as 'reaction' can also be seen, from other perspectives, as 'action'. Just as correctly.

Quote:
:)Nameless, if your defination of freewill holds under the reality

It is not a 'reality' (but for you, perhaps) merely by your assertion. Your statement would be more 'rational' if you stated something like, "... holds under my theory of..."

Quote:
that the subject does not have the ability NOT to react,

I don't understand why you are arguing with me. I understand your perspective, I do not ascribe to it. Are you trying to understand mine or are you attempting 'conversion'? I can

Quote:
that the subject does not enjoy autonomy from context

I don't posit any 'autonomy' at all.

Quote:
, yet you still believe in this freewill because there are lots of choices? Freewill is autonomy or it is nothing, and it is, nothing.

Have you read nothing that I have written here? Me 'believe' in anything? Hardly! Much less 'free-will'!
You are the one that mentioned 'choices'. By definition, 'choice' implies some sort of 'freedom' to 'choose'. You are saying that there is no implication of 'free-will' in the making of any 'choice'? If so, then there are no 'choices' of any sort.

And at no point have I read anything here by you defining or relating 'Consciousness' as having anything to do with your 'all is reaction' thing. 'Consciousness' doesn't 'do' anything, neither 'acts' nor 'reacts'. I doubt that you can build the case...
Peace

boagie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 06:43 am
@nameless,
Nameless,Smile

:)Do tell me more, actually if they have done this, it is a step up the ladder, it is not that cause and effect as simplistic as it is, is false, it is more like it is a holding concept, awaiting someone who might consider actually thinking about it. It does seems apparent, that in chemistry mutual reaction is the ticket, thus the transformational power is in the constitution of the ingredients/elements not in the one as cause. If I bake a cake, are all the ingredients causes, indeed it seems its all cause, all cause one effect--the cake. What of how these elemental causes/ ingredients relate to one another. I know you get the drift:eek: Part to part, part to the whole, and the whole to each of its parts--there is a whole lot'a shakin goin on!!

:)Certainly apparent reality is dependent on consciousness. I am unsure of this same statement relative to ultimate reality, but, perhaps their concerns are of, the apparent nature. Just a thought, what would ultimate reality be relative too? Apparent reality is relative to one's biology, subtract that biology and there could be nothing, without its interpretation through something.

"Obsolete!
Science has taken the clumsy and erroneous notion of a 'temporally linear' notion of 'cause and effect' and 'redefined' it as the 'mutual (synchronously) arising of two aspects of One event'!" quote

:)Please elaborate on the flaws of a relational perspective, it, it would seem to me, would not depend upon the linear notion of cause and effect, in fact that is the real point, even as crude as cause and effect is, even here you need consider the relational nature of the elements involved.

nameless

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 03:21 pm
@boagie,
boagie;15224 wrote:
Nameless,Smile

:)Do tell me more, actually if they have done this, it is a step up the ladder, it is not that cause and effect as simplistic as it is, is false,

The notion of c&e is 'correct' from certain perspectives. It is not 'correct' ('false'/obsolete) from the perspective of cutting edge science.

Quote:
it is more like it is a holding concept, awaiting someone who might consider actually thinking about it.

It is the 'evidence' of our senses. Not a 'holding concept' but 'apparently' correct. We accept what we 'see' without much thought in a 'counterintuitional' direction. Why? Because we 'identify' with our concepts. Ego kicks in and we now must 'defend' (emotionally) what we 'know' to be 'real'...

Quote:
It does seems apparent, that in chemistry mutual reaction is the ticket, thus the transformational power is in the constitution of the ingredients/elements not in the one as cause.

Even 'transformation' is a concept derived from the 'appearances' of our sensory info. One moment it is 'this', another moment, it is 'that'. No 'transformation but in appearance (like movies).

Quote:
If I bake a cake, are all the ingredients causes, indeed it seems its all cause, all cause one effect--the cake.

One moment, there is a universe with you standing over a bowl of ingredients. Another moment finds your hand with the spoon in it a bit closer to the bowl. Another 'static' universe/moment has your hand closer to the bowl. Another universe/moment has the spoon in the bowl with the ingredients slightly stirred. Another (quantumly discrete) moment/universe... etc...
The brain filters out the 'empty gulfs between the 'universes' and imagines 'motion, like a movie.

Quote:
What of how these elemental causes/ ingredients relate to one another.

They 'relate' to one another by/in our brains that seek patterns and relationships (where they may not otherwise 'exist'). That is Perspective.

Quote:
I know you get the drift:eek: Part to part, part to the whole, and the whole to each of its parts--there is a whole lot'a shakin goin on!!

'Relationship' is 'Perspectival' at best. In any one static moment/universe, everything is 'related' is that the particular moment/universe is one complete whole, One. That is the first 'Oneness' of the 'enlightened'. The individual universe of the moment can best be seen as a complete 'tapestry', rather than a 'movie'. Complete in the sense that if any one tiniest 'thread' is removed or added, the entire universe/moment must be likewise different. Yet we imagine that we can 'do something by independent will' and not necessarily alter the entire universe. Aren't we powerful! Ego!

Quote:
Certainly apparent reality is dependent on consciousness.

I would agree, but I don't think that we are having the same meanings here. We are Perspectives of Consciousness on Mind. So, in that context, any apparent 'reality' that we observe as Perspective is one and the same with Consciousness/Mind.

Quote:
I am unsure of this same statement relative to ultimate reality, but, perhaps their concerns are of, the apparent nature. Just a thought, what would ultimate reality be relative too?

My understanding is that 'Reality/Truth' is not relative to anything. The Vedic definition strikes me as excellent (almost, as words are not the beast, but 'pointers');
"Reality must rigidly adhere to that which is in an unchanging state of universal permanence."
There can be no context/relativity. And, hence, no concepts. Hence the admonition in religious circles against 'images/concepts' (even in the mind) being idolatry. Holding the 'image' of 'God' being 'Love' is idolatry. That puts the 'God' into relative context in the 'created realm'.

Quote:
Apparent reality is relative to one's biology, subtract that biology and there could be nothing, without its interpretation through something.

If, by 'biology' you are indicating 'ego', a sense of individual personhood, with brain et al, then yes, I'd agree. 'Reality' with a small "r", appearances. There is 'nothing' but by our 'seeing'/perspective. 'Interpretation is a generally spurious thought activity. Thought being the (toxic) 'waste matter' of a properly functioning brain. It gets much more 'credibility' and egoic identification than it deserves.

"Obsolete!
Science has taken the clumsy and erroneous notion of a 'temporally linear' notion of 'cause and effect' and 'redefined' it as the 'mutual (synchronously) arising of two aspects of One event'!" quote

Quote:
Please elaborate on the flaws of a relational perspective,

The only 'flaws' in a 'relational perspective' would be in 'believing' that the particular perspective reflects the true basic nature of existence or 'Reality/Truth'. It is the perceived 'duality'/relationships' that we can discern anything to be our reality. Without the limitations of individual perspective, the 'undifferentiated potential' of Mind cannot be discerned (as all possibility is 'there' as potential). Limited perspective 'differentiates' (ignores, cannot see, most, but the bit that it can be aware of 'becomes' our universes.

Peace

boagie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 05:15 pm
@nameless,
Nameless,Smile

So, your theory is that it is not cause and effect, nor is it a relational world out there. Yours is a freeze frame moment as ultimate reality, the apparence of anything occurring is just illusion. Is this freeze frame reality then a close system, I would assume it must be a closed system, as nothing is really happening. Yours is a most unusual Persepective, actually consciousness is quite an adequate term for the reality you describe, reality basically being the relation between subject[consciousness] and object. I would assume the dialogue is at an end about this topic of a relational reality, certainly in this form of reality you are bent on, there is indeed, no activity, Smile no reaction, no relations and no cause or effect.:rolleyes:

nameless

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 07:59 pm
@boagie,
boagie;15556 wrote:
Nameless,Smile
So, your theory is that it is not cause and effect, nor is it a relational world out there.

I'm going to respond in the name of accuracy. I'm going to read the above sentence as "So, is it your theory...?" As a question rather than as a statement. The 'statement' aspect, though, demands clarification...
No, 'cause and effect' is mere appearances from particular perspectives, not the true basic nature of existence.
Yes, everything in existence is 'relative/contextual/definitional'.

Quote:
Yours is a freeze frame moment as ultimate reality,

No. Existence is a bunch of 'freeze frame' moments ('snapshots' of Mind by Perspective), existing simultaneously.

Quote:
the apparence of anything occurring is just illusion.

Yes. 'Linear motion' (-ing) is an 'appearance' of/in certain Perspectives, not others. It is not the 'true basic nature of existence'.

Quote:
Is this freeze frame reality then a close system, I would assume it must be a closed system, as nothing is really happening.

Not quite getting your meaning of a 'closed system'. For one (Planck)'moment', all quantumly discrete 'moments' that comprise all that is or ever can be existence, are Now! Here! Simultaneously!
Anything else is 'appearances'.

Quote:
Yours is a most unusual Persepective, actually consciousness is quite an adequate term for the reality you describe, reality basically being the relation between subject[consciousness] and object.

I would say that 'existence' is the 'relationship' of Consciousness, through Perspectives (us) with Mind/undifferentiated potential. We as Perspective, 'actuate' all potential, every moment that we perceive.
I don't think that I would go so far as to even try to distinguish between Mind and Consciousness, much less than to label either of them as such. Can one call a 'mental image' an 'object'? Or that with no context/existence/definition/concept a 'subject'?

I like the definition of 'Reality' found in the Vedas;
"Reality must rigidly adhere to that which is in an unchanging state of universal permanence."
'Perfect symmetry' comes to mind...
(Only the limiting factors inherent in Perspective can 'make anything' (existence) from some'thing' that is perfectly symmetrical.)

Quote:
I would assume the dialogue is at an end about this topic of a relational reality, certainly in this form of reality you are bent on,

If you like.
I can talk all about your 'relative reality' if you like, just a minor adjustment od Perspective is all that is needed. I don't have to 'believe' what I say for it to be lucid and rational.
I'm not 'bent' on anything.
"I live my Perspective (existence) and my Perspective lives me." -Book of Fudd (1:23)

Quote:
there is indeed, no activity, Smile no reaction, no relations and no cause or effect.:rolleyes:

Ever hear what happened to the monk who kept rolling his eyes whenever he came upon something that he didn't fully understand?

boagie

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2008 09:37 pm
@nameless,
Nameless,Smile

I do not doubt a good deal of what you have said, I am well aware there is a difference between apparent reality and that of ultimate reality. To say you have a working knowledge of ultimate reality I think stretches credibility somewhat. Kant called it, the thing-in-itself, Schopenhauer, the will, but these are just make shift metaphors for the unknown, it was unknown to these fellows and I think it is still unknown. If you feel discussing the topic, consciousness as reaction in an utterly relational world, requires you dummying down, then I do not believe either of us would enjoy the dialogue.

Smile"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man." -Thomas Jefferson

nameless

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 01:18 am
@boagie,
boagie;15570 wrote:
To say you have a working knowledge of ultimate reality I think stretches credibility somewhat.

No sh!t, man! Where have I claimed that? Those words would have never left my fingers, as I find them an absurdity. There is nor can be any 'working knowledge' of an ultimate 'Reality'. The best we can do is our Perspective.

Quote:
Kant called it, the thing-in-itself, Schopenhauer, the will, but these are just make shift metaphors for the unknown, it was unknown to these fellows and I think it is still unknown.

Unknown because they are unsupportable fantasies.

Quote:
If you feel discussing the topic, consciousness as reaction in an utterly relational world, requires you dummying down, then I do not believe either of us would enjoy the dialogue.

No no no! I can discuss anything that i can 'conceive'! it is simply a matter of comming from/understanding that particular Perspective.
No Perspective is incorrect. I don't have to 'claim' or accept every reasonable (or unreasonable) perspective from which I might examine (or discuss) something as 'my own', but it has nothing to do with 'dumbing down'. I can simplify terms for clarity's sake, but I find the notion of 'dumbing down' to be rude, condescending and egotestical!
It has been wisely said that "if one is not familiar with at least two or three perspectives on the subject at hand, he really knows nothing of it." That doesn't mean that you must 'believe' any of them.
*__-
I cannot discuss "consciousness as reaction" because we have a fundamental and fatal (to conversation) disparity of definition. I, from this perspective, cannot conceive of Consciousness as anything. So, from here, I bid you happy discussions.. See you in another topic. Thanks for the discussion and the opportunity to have to think a bit.
Peace

boagie

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 09:44 am
@nameless,
Nameless,Smile

That was the difficulty from the outset then, if you had stated you could not discuss the topic as listed, "Consciousness As Reaction", or simply did not respond knowing you would not be on topic, there would be no problem. I was frustrated at the topic not really being address. I assumed you had something against disscussing the topic and weather you intended it or no it came across,[ granted perhaps do to my misunderstanding of what was going on] that you felt it beneath you. It would seem I am not the only one guilty of misjudgement here. peace

boagie

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 12:16 pm
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Allow me to pauze for a moment then. Are we agreed on the consciousness and self-consciousness as relating to first and second order logic?

Arjen,Smile

:)That would be up to you to extrapolate from the topic, it is unlikely anyone viewing the thread would know what this first and second order of logic is, it is part of your personal theory--no?

nameless

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:27 am
@boagie,
boagie;15861 wrote:
peace

And to you, my friend

boagie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 10:08 am
@nameless,
Hi Everyone!!Smile

:)So, the only consciousness you are familar with is your own, and you assume a great deal about others in order to conclude they are applying the same process to acheive the same results, the concept of cause and effect raises its ugly head.

:)The physical world dictates that you are a reactive creature, no ifs, ands or buts, you are what is the more temporal and what is less a presence than the physical world as a whole. You could not be more directed and controlled, from your circadian rhythms, to your passions and impluses, you have only one king to bow to and that is the physical world. Even as humanity rejoices of its superiority over nature, the gods roll with laughter and beg you leave their presence so they might regain their composure. All I ask is, tell me of one instance of human action----context inclusive:rolleyes:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:19:14