Consciousness As Reaction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 11:06 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Everybody, Smile

This is just an opinion. A strange one at that because I have not often seen somebody agree and deny the same theory in one sentence.

Arjen,Smile

Could you explain the above statement, we all put forward our opinions do we not, the nature of the medium. This seems somewhat passive aggresive in nature. Seeing as it is to my post you take acception to, try dealing with it first hand.Smile Edit: You have added to your original post. Your statement about my referal to Aristotle is incorrect, though I admire the man, there was no such reference. First cause is what they often state as neccessity to understanding reality, many call it god.Smile

Arjen

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 11:21 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,Smile

Could you explain the above statement, we all put forward our opinions do we not, the nature of the medium. This seems somewhat passive aggresive in nature. Seeing as it is to my post you take acception to, try dealing with it first hand.Smile

Boagie, Smile

It is because you state so boldy that the first mover is a myth. There are many who would disagree. The thoughtline in itself is also very important in discovering what is taking place. Saying such things seems to me to be counterproductive in this case.

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 11:29 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Boagie, Smile

It is because you state so boldy that the first mover is a myth. There are many who would disagree. The thoughtline in itself is also very important in discovering what is taking place. Saying such things seems to me to be counterproductive in this case.

Arjen,Smile

I disagree! If you wish to place god into your equation, join the very large lineup around the cosmic corner.Smile

de budding

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 11:49 am
@boagie,
The first cause is the big bang... is it not?

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 12:04 pm
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
The first cause is the big bang... is it not?

de budding,Smile

That is in dispute.Smile even at that, there is nothing to say that the big bang was the begining to everything.

de budding

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 12:21 pm
@boagie,
Ok, but I was still taught that it is not possible that the universe is infinite so my first cause is still the start of matter, time and energy.

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 12:30 pm
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
Ok, but I was still taught that it is not possible that the universe is infinite so my first cause is still the start of matter, time and energy.

de budding,Smile

One theory is of an oscillating universe, which is essentially a universe of perpetual motion --no beginning no end. There is also no reason to believe this is the only universe.Smile Actually, this is all taking place on the outside of an empty pop-can lying in some gutter somewhere--just kidding---lol!!

Arjen

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 01:33 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,Smile

I disagree! If you wish to place god into your equation, join the very large lineup around the cosmic corner.Smile

Boagie, Smile

The first mover is not necessarily about "God". It is about something which has started a causal chain reaction. When one start reasoning in causal ways (as I am pretty sure you do) a logical reasoning is to see what lies in the beginning or in the end thereof. Try to view "God" in a relative way, just like the scientific "God": "Big Bang". Both are erely words for something we do not understand. It does not matter what name we give it. "God", "Big Bang", "Nothing" or even "Apeiron".

ANyway, try not to let your personal definitions of a word hold you back in trying to understand what somebody else means. In this lies a form of "creation", which is allowed to exist through the absence of definitions.

Well, I have rambled on enough for now I think.

Smile

nameless

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 01:45 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Nameless,Smile
Action as apposed to reaction, action is a god like deed, indicating dishonestly of full autonomy.

Are you saying that we, as people, in your opinion, never actually (honestly) 'act', but are completely 'limited' to 'reacting'? Buy "dishonesty of full autonomy" (if we have partial 'autonomy'... autonomous of/from what?... wouldn't 'partial' allow for 'some' acts?) are you refering to an individual, (believing the illusion that he is) seperate and disconnected from all that is, autonomous? Why the qualifier "full"? And how is it 'dishonesty' if the 'actor/reactor' honestly thinks/believes he is autonomous?

Quote:
Reaction on the other hand acknowledges your relation to everything in existence.

Sooo, nothing in the universes 'acts', everything 'reacts', implying that 'free-will/choice/deliberate behavior' is not actually possible, from your perspective?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 01:53 pm
@nameless,
Quote:
Sooo, nothing in the universes 'acts', everything 'reacts', implying that 'free-will/choice/deliberate behavior' is not actually possible, from your perspective?

I'm not sure boagie's position demands that he give up hope for freewill, choice, or deliberate behavior.

If someone hits me in the face, and I hit them back, I reacted. But it was still my choice to return the blow.

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 02:41 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Are you saying that we, as people, in your opinion, never actually (honestly) 'act', but are completely 'limited' to 'reacting'? Buy "dishonesty of full autonomy" (if we have partial 'autonomy'... autonomous of/from what?... wouldn't 'partial' allow for 'some' acts?) are you refering to an individual, (believing the illusion that he is) seperate and disconnected from all that is, autonomous? Why the qualifier "full"? And how is it 'dishonesty' if the 'actor/reactor' honestly thinks/believes he is autonomous?

Nameless,Smile

Yes you are completely limited to reaction, it is your function as the subject object relation, there is no such thing as autonomy, there is no such thing as freewill, there are but choices in the way you might react, for as stated earlier, even inacton/non-reaction to an object or situtation is by defination a reaction. Reality is relational, reaction is the engine that drives the relational nature of all reality. It is dishonest, or perhaps ignorant, for anyone to claim autonomy, autonomy from what it is fair to ask, autonomy from the context of nature, the context of reality, it can be nothing but wishful thinking, though as I stated earlier, it is not even desirable nonsense, it is simply nonsense. Trying to touch on all your points, deliberate behaviour, yes, there is deliberate behaviour in deciding upon the choice between reactions, but even action is a reaction to intent, which is a reaction to a condition or situtation. There is no cause and effect, it is all reaction. That we can dwell on a little more as the thread develops. Did I miss anything, let me know if I have.Smile

Arjen

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 10:49 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Nameless,Smile

Yes you are completely limited to reaction, it is your function as the subject object relation, there is no such thing as autonomy, there is no such thing as freewill, there are but choices in the way you might react, for as stated earlier, even inacton/non-reaction to an object or situtation is by defination a reaction. Reality is relational, reaction is the engine that drives the relational nature of all reality. It is dishonest, or perhaps ignorant, for anyone to claim autonomy, autonomy from what it is fair to ask, autonomy from the context of nature, the context of reality, it can be nothing but wishful thinking, though as I stated earlier, it is not even desirable nonsense, it is simply nonsense. Trying to touch on all your points, deliberate behaviour, yes, there is deliberate behaviour in deciding upon the choice between reactions, but even action is a reaction to intent, which is a reaction to a condition or situtation. There is no cause and effect, it is all reaction. That we can dwell on a little more as the thread develops. Did I miss anything, let me know if I have.Smile

Boagie, this is merely because humans have physical properties. There are more parts to humans. These are not causal. If that were not true, try to explain denial, creation, etc. etc.

boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 12:15 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Boagie, this is merely because humans have physical properties. There are more parts to humans. These are not causal. If that were not true, try to explain denial, creation, etc. etc.

Arjen,Smile

The large green round squares taste the best--lol!! Really Arjen, what on earth does your post mean.:rolleyes: It really is not necessarily about humans, its about the reality of nature Wink and/or the nature of reality.:eek: If you have a question, I shall try to accommodate with an adequate reply.

Arjen

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 01:58 am
@boagie,
Boagie, I had posted the remark because I want you to question your view on the matter. The reason I did is because we cannot accurately say what "nature" (a.k.a.) "God" is like in reality. We can, however, be sure that human ontology (reflected in epistemology) necessarily reflects a part of "nature", since we are a part of it. So, since humans can "create" in the sense that "inspired" arts exist, since every human "springs out of nothing" (so to speak), "existence" must have some grounds to exist or be created (because time has an influence on it and so it does not exist outside of time) necessity dictates another part of the whole both in beings and in "creation" as a whole.

I often argue that both are the same, but I think that will be too much for now. Perhaps I should create a topic on "everything". What do you think?

de budding

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 02:11 am
@Arjen,
Arjen,
I'm a little confused with the use of 'nature' and 'god' in your post...
do you mean nature as 'the material world' and god as 'creator'?
And yeh I'd like to talk about eeeverything! Very Happy
Dan.

Arjen

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 05:03 am
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
Arjen,
I'm a little confused with the use of 'nature' and 'god' in your post...
do you mean nature as 'the material world' and god as 'creator'?
And yeh I'd like to talk about eeeverything! Very Happy
Dan.

In this case I ment that "nature" and "God" are the same and mean "everything". I am using this pantheistic approach because I think This is Boagie's view on things.

I will see about that topic on "everything".

boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 06:52 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
Boagie, I had posted the remark because I want you to question your view on the matter. The reason I did is because we cannot accurately say what "nature" (a.k.a.) "God" is like in reality. We can, however, be sure that human ontology (reflected in epistemology) necessarily reflects a part of "nature", since we are a part of it. So, since humans can "create" in the sense that "inspired" arts exist, since every human "springs out of nothing" (so to speak), "existence" must have some grounds to exist or be created (because time has an influence on it and so it does not exist outside of time) necessity dictates another part of the whole both in beings and in "creation" as a whole.

I often argue that both are the same, but I think that will be too much for now. Perhaps I should create a topic on "everything". What do you think?

Arjen,Smile

Actually, it is not that difficult to grasp, most people accept the theory of cause and effect in its utter simplicity, Cause bumps into something and effects it. This realy does not explain much, and is more like a place holder for who might come along and be willing to think about it. The fact that subject and object are the basis of apparent reality, and the fact that they cannot be separated is the first hint at the nature of reality. After one realizes the nihilistic truth that the physical world is devoid of all meaning in the absence of a subject it begins to fine tune your idea of nature, the only thing left standing after the nihilistic realization is the fact that, all of reality is relational, so, in the presence of change, of transformation, what is happening, it is reaction, reaction is the drive engine of all relational reality.

boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 07:07 am
@Arjen,
Arjen wrote:
In this case I ment that "nature" and "God" are the same and mean "everything". I am using this pantheistic approach because I think This is Boagie's view on things.

I will see about that topic on "everything".

Arjen,Smile

I only think in Pantheistic terms in the sense that I believe the universe to be an open system, the view of a totality is not our perspective, but perhaps this impersonal, this elemental totality, is our creator:) as the thing-in-itself, the totality, our name is legion,as totality.

Arjen

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 10:57 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Arjen,Smile

Actually, it is not that difficult to grasp, most people accept the theory of cause and effect in its utter simplicity, Cause bumps into something and effects it. This realy does not explain much, and is more like a place holder for who might come along and be willing to think about it. The fact that subject and object are the basis of apparent reality, and the fact that they cannot be separated is the first hint at the nature of reality. After one realizes the nihilistic truth that the physical world is devoid of all meaning in the absence of a subject it begins to fine tune your idea of nature, the only thing left standing after the nihilistic realization is the fact that, all of reality is relational, so, in the presence of change, of transformation, what is happening, it is reaction, reaction is the drive engine of all relational reality.

Boagie, I am going to try a last time to get this through to you. The way you are reasoning refutes itself. It refutes itself because you speak of causality. To every little action comes a re-action. If indeed this would be true one must ask oneself what exactly started the chain-reaction. To this you reply: nothing. That would, however, presume that matter is not bound to time and space.

The reason I am saying that is because causality exists if and only if something is facilitated by space and time. Causality cannot exist without it. Seeing as objects need space and time to exist all objects are necessarily subject to causality. Because of these facts one is forced to think of a causal chain-reaction.

A way out of this loop is to realise that teh possibility exists that "creation" is a continuous process, which exists outside the realm of causality; space and time. That leads us to Kant's transcendental again.

boagie wrote:
Arjen,Smile

I only think in Pantheistic terms in the sense that I believe the universe to be an open system, the view of a totality is not our perspective, but perhaps this impersonal, this elemental totality, is our creator:) as the thing-in-itself, the totality, our name is legion,as totality.

In Lak'ech - I am another Yourself!

boagie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2008 11:25 am
@Arjen,
Arjen:)

I fear you protest to much, if you believe in the first cause, tell me how it came to be, and, seeing as being itself is relational, if first cause was a something/actual it is only something due to its relational nature of a combined duality. If you wish to question something I have stated do not present a course for one and all to take, ask your question directly and I shall do my best to answer it accurately and honestly-----no home study courses!!Sad Obsurity does not equal enlightenment.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:14:18