Consciousness As Reaction

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:15 am
@simon phil,
Simon,Smile

This is the human conditon, in the consciousness of the day. It is what Nietzsche fortold of, the day of Nihilistic reality, life is the focal point of reality, there is but one meaning standing after Nihilism is realized, and that is, that all of reality is relational, and that reaction/consciousness is the bases of all relations.

Khethil

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:19 am
@simon phil,
Nice discussion.

Its rather amazing how the notion that we're purely "reactive" strikes such a chord of discontent. I believe I see (and accept as correct) this notion since, but its definition, I cannot do anything which does not involve any other factors or elements (which would then put it in the realm of reactionism).

Hehe, almost feels like a self-professed/self-defined truth (an assertion whose constituent elements constrain/lead to only one conclusion, and is therefore of spurious value since it decides itself). Nonetheless...

I wouldn't equate acceptance of this notion to "everything's set in stone". Although I may react next Tuesday morning to an event, that event hasn't occurred (nor has many of its dependent factors, not yet). Cause and effect isn't linear; it is a tree with innumerable branches and tributaries that cross, collide and influence - most not visible to me. Or - perhaps a better way of putting it might be: I am on this path, I will hit a point 2 miles up where I'll make a reaction to a set of circumstances. Those circumstances are not yet staged. Thus, my reaction to that point can't really be said to be 'set in stone' - at least not yet. At that point? Sure... I could buy that, but there's an element of chaos/randomness we're not taking into account here (nope, not going there! :p )

... I think I just felt something in my head go *pop*. Time for asprin

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:38 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Nice discussion.

Its rather amazing how the notion that we're purely "reactive" strikes such a chord of discontent. I believe I see (and accept as correct) this notion since, but its definition, I cannot do anything which does not involve any other factors or elements (which would then put it in the realm of reactionism).

Hehe, almost feels like a self-professed/self-defined truth (an assertion whose constituent elements constrain/lead to only one conclusion, and is therefore of spurious value since it decides itself). Nonetheless...

I wouldn't equate acceptance of this notion to "everything's set in stone". Although I may react next Tuesday morning to an event, that event hasn't occurred (nor has many of its dependent factors, not yet). Cause and effect isn't linear; it is a tree with innumerable branches and tributaries that cross, collide and influence - most not visible to me. Or - perhaps a better way of putting it might be: I am on this path, I will hit a point 2 miles up where I'll make a reaction to a set of circumstances. Those circumstances are not yet staged. Thus, my reaction to that point can't really be said to be 'set in stone' - at least not yet. At that point? Sure... I could buy that, but there's an element of chaos/randomness we're not taking into account here (nope, not going there! :p )

... I think I just felt something in my head go *pop*. Time for asprin

Khethil,Smile

You can argue about the complexity of all reality but, if you are not reactiing in this very moment----------you sir, are dead.

simon phil

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:55 am
@boagie,
Supposing we're all just reactions. Aspects. Small pieces in a giant form, composed of smaller shapes, moving down to curves at the lowest form. When nothing is left but the greater whole, with no names for the parts... a giant tree of pathways and flows, what name do we give it? If all envionments are part of it, and all reactions occur within it and there is nothing else, if it reacts and all reactions are of it's own making, what would we call it? If there is nothing but it, then do we call it consciousness, or is the ever unreachable consciousness forbidden because that which may demonstrate consciousness must be subject to the greater whole?

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:23 am
@simon phil,
simon wrote:
Supposing we're all just reactions. Aspects. Small pieces in a giant form, composed of smaller shapes, moving down to curves at the lowest form. When nothing is left but the greater whole, with no names for the parts... a giant tree of pathways and flows, what name do we give it? If all envionments are part of it, and all reactions occur within it and there is nothing else, if it reacts and all reactions are of it's own making, what would we call it? If there is nothing but it, then do we call it consciousness, or is the ever unreachable consciousness forbidden because that which may demonstrate consciousness must be subject to the greater whole?

Simon,Smile

You certainly know how to clarify, that is where awe comes in, my blowing wonder. Again, Welcome on board, you are a delightful new addition.Smile

de budding

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:17 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:

the day of Nihilistic reality, life is the focal point of reality, there is but one meaning standing after Nihilism is realized, and that is, that all of reality is relational

Is reality relational in the sense that everything is made up of values and these values are all related by us to a perceived scale?

Dan.

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:19 am
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
Is reality relational in the sense that everything is made up of values and these values are all related by us to a perceived scale?

Dan.

Hi de budding!!Smile

Subject and object are relational, that covers all reality. The perceived or unperceived scale, is your own being, your own biology.

simon phil

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:21 am
@de budding,
Thanks - appreciated!

de budding

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:57 am
@simon phil,
'Subject and object are relational, that covers all reality'

Well it's really Object and Object are realtional then... how are they relational?
By the constant of values?

Dan,

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:10 am
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
'Subject and object are relational, that covers all reality' quote
Well it's really Object and Object are realtional then... how are they relational?
By the constant of values? Dan,

de budding,Smile

Well, we could argue what reality would be without us, that would be an object to object reality. However our reality is subjective reality based on the relation of subject and object. For us then there would be nothing, not even that, for the statement of nothing is an evaluation, which would not be possiable if we did not exist. No the reality we can be cognizant of is the time honoured subject to object reality. Keep in mind that, apparent reality is a biological readout.

de budding

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:36 am
@boagie,
I think we need two terms, reality which applies to the biological reality of subject - object. And actuality, the real reality of object-object that exists after we are gone.

Actuality is what needs exploring through our external relationship to it and the external relationship can be pin pointed by looking at how our sensual equipment operates as an analogue which interprets/distorts/converts actuality into reality...

reality seems to simply refer to our eyes and all our senses seem to end up exploring objects by visual scales/representations of object values, we let the illusion of sight distort our perception.

And I think all that after reading Arjen's blog Very Happy.

Dan

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:47 am
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
I think we need two terms, reality which applies to the biological reality of subject - object. And actuality, the real reality of object-object that exists after we are gone.

Actuality is what needs exploring through our external relationship to it and the external relationship can be pin pointed by looking at how our sensual equipment operates as an analogue which interprets/distorts/converts actuality into reality...

reality seems to simply refer to our eyes and all our senses seem to end up exploring objects by visual scales/representations of object values, we let the illusion of sight distort our perception.

And I think all that after reading Arjen's blog Very Happy.Dan

de budding,Smile

If your intent is to percieve ultimate reality without your given senses, good luck, ultimate reality in the absence of a subject/consciousness./awareness would be meaningless.Wink

Khethil

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:58 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Khethil,Smile

You can argue about the complexity of all reality but, if you are not reactiing in this very moment----------you sir, are dead.

Didn't dispute that... like... at all Smile

boagie

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:15 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Didn't dispute that... like... at all Smile

Khethil,Smile

Yes, ok, my apology. Yes there is a bewildering assortment of choices available to one, and even historical happenings and situtations that influence ones choices, also antisapation for what may not be in the future. The one thing set in stone is you will react, even inaction to the considered object or situtation is by defination a reaction. So, not going to go there, that is up to you.Wink as long as you are aware, it is a reaction.

de budding

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 01:04 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
de budding,Smile

If your intent is to percieve ultimate reality without your given senses, good luck, ultimate reality in the absence of a subject/consciousness./awareness would be meaningless.Wink

I don't want to percieve ultimate reality, just explore it with my mind- feels like thE right thing since we are the only animals capable of doing so. I think a lot of answers are atainable in this area as well as a lot of explinations.

But I see your point, and thanks for clarifying things Boagie, Smile

Dan.

nameless

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 01:08 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Khethil,Smile

Yes, ok, my apology. Yes there is a bewildering assortment of choices available to one, and even historical happenings and situtations that influence ones choices, also antisapation for what may not be in the future. The one thing set in stone is you will react, even inaction to the considered object or situtation is by defination a reaction. So, not going to go there, that is up to you.Wink as long as you are aware, it is a reaction.

Hey boagie, whats the difference, if there is any, between an 'action' and a 'reaction'?

de budding

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 03:37 am
@nameless,
seems to me like action is initiation while reaction is participation in the stage set by the action.

Dan.

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:24 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Hey boagie, whats the difference, if there is any, between an 'action' and a 'reaction'?

Nameless,Smile

Action as apposed to reaction, action is a god like deed, indicating dishonestly of full autonomy. Reaction on the other hand acknowledges your relation to everything in existence.

boagie

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 08:29 am
@de budding,
de_budding wrote:
seems to me like action is initiation while reaction is participation in the stage set by the action. Dan.

Hi de budding!!

:)First cause is a myth, reality is relational in its nature, reaction is the means of the transformation of forms into new relations.

Arjen

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 11:00 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Hi de budding!!

:)First cause is a myth, reality is relational in its nature, reaction is the means of the transformation of forms into new relations.

Everybody, Smile

This is just an opinion. A strange one at that because I have not often seen somebody agree and deny the same theory in one sentence.

My personal opinion in this matter is that a first cause would presuppose a linear (and finite) time. I do not think things exist as such. It is more likely that this "cause" is still "causing" and that it is perfect harmony with what it caused. Aristotle (the philosopher Boagie is referring to) called the cause potentiality and the caused actuality. But I think a third factor is needed to serve as a quantifier of sorts.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 11:09:27