numbers vs. words

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Ahab

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:46 am
@fast,
fast;136482 wrote:
I think I have good handle on the distinction between a concept and what a concept is a concept of. For example, my concept of Earth is one thing, and what my concept is a concept of, namely, Earth--aka the referent of the term, "Earth" is another thing. One is a mental entity, and the other is not. One's existence depends on my existence whereas the other does not.

Just as we can distinguish between 1) a concept and 2) what a concept is a concept of for concrete objects, so too ought we be able to do so for abstract objects. I'm not absolutely positive on the following note, but I think maybe the term, "abstract" is ambiguous. For example, consider the difference between my concept of class versus class. Keep in mind that the former is a concept thus a mental entity (abstract, in one sense), but the latter (what the concept is a concept of), or class, is also abstract (but in a different sense). I believe my concept of my cat was not around before me, nor do I believe that my concept of my cat will be around after i'm gone, heaven forbid, so I don't think my concepts are abstract, as we generally think of abstract entities, but my concepts are nevertheless abstract in that they are mental entities.

The way I see it is that I have a concept of the number three, and that is mind dependent (or abstract in one sense), but "three" refers not to my concept of the number three (as "my concept of the number three" refers to that) but instead refers to the number three (which is not abstract in that same sense but abstract in the other sense), as the number three is a class, and a class is a not abstract in the mind dependent sense.

I will try and make time later for a little more detailed reply. But one quick point:
Certainly the names of the substances we encounter in the world around us are referring terms. If someone wants to know where they can buy a particular substance like a cat, we can direct them to a pet store which we know has some very nice cats.
But simply because we use the names of substances to refer to an entity doesn't entail that the name of a number should be treated in the same way. Perhaps the rule for words naming abstracta are different? I think they are. That is why I suggest that if a philosopher wants a better understanding of words like "three" or "number" that they look to its use rather than begin by enquiring what sort of entity these words are referring to.

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 11:20 am
@Ahab,
[QUOTE=Ahab;136501]I will try and make time later for a little more detailed reply. But one quick point: [/quote]
Ahab;136501 wrote:

Certainly the names of the substances we encounter in the world around us are referring terms. If someone wants to know where they can buy a particular substance like a cat, we can direct them to a pet store which we know has some very nice cats.
But simply because we use the names of substances to refer to an entity doesn't entail that the name of a number should be treated in the same way. Perhaps the rule for words naming abstracta are different? I think they are. That is why I suggest that if a philosopher wants a better understanding of words like "three" or "number" that they look to its use rather than begin by enquiring what sort of entity these words are referring to.

Two things.

One, we use words. We can use words to refer. But, do not confuse the fact that we use words with the other fact that words refer. I can use the word "cat" and refer to a cat, but I can also (and oddly) use the word, "cat" and refer to a dog, but no matter how I use (or misuse) the term, the term "cat" continues to refer to the class of all cats despite how well I succeed or fail in using the term. The point I'm making is to not lose sight of the fact there is a difference between our using a term to refer to something and what that word itself refers to.

Two, all words have meaning, but not all words have referents. We need to remain vigilant not to confuse the meaning of word with the referent of a word. If you're interested in understanding what a word means, then you should be interested in how words are collectively used by fluent speakers of a language, but if you're interested in knowing whether or not a term is 1) a referring term that fails to refer, 2) a referring term that succeeds in referring, or 3) a non-referring term, then you should be more interested in whether something can (and if so, does) exist (whether concrete or abstract) that instantiates the term.

I think the term "my concept of my cat" is a referring term, and I think the term, "my cat" is a referring term, and I think the term, "cat" is a referring term. The referent to the term, "my cat" is obviously concrete, but careful we should be when comparing the other two. The term, "cat" refers to the class of all cats, and classes are independent of the mind, but the referent of the term, "my concept of my cat" is mind-dependent, yet there are some that would hold that the referent to both terms are abstract, but I'm thinking to do think so is to equivocate the term, "abstract." Neither have spatial predicates, and only one has a temporal predicate.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:19 pm
@cws910,
fast wrote:
and classes are independent of the mind

I still can't wrap my head around why that is always the case. The class of animals, mammals, is independent of the mind. But what about, for instance, the class called 'classics' (good, old movies)?

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136533 wrote:
I still can't wrap my head around why that is always the case. The class of animals, mammals, is independent of the mind. But what about, for instance, the class called 'classics' (good, old movies)?

The class of all pencils, the class pencil, had no particulars that belonged to the class during a time when there were no people. The class of all classics, the classics class, had no particulars that belonged to the class during a time when there were no people.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 12:58 pm
@fast,
fast;136534 wrote:
The class of all pencils, the class pencil, had no particulars that belonged to the class during a time when there were no people. The class of all classics, the classics class, had no particulars that belonged to the class during a time when there were no people.

But you're saying the class of threes did have particulars that belonged to the class during a time when there were no people?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:03 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136533 wrote:

Classes may be independent of the mind, but some classifications are, of course, not natural kinds, but conventional kinds, as you point out.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:07 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136546 wrote:
Classes may be independent of the mind, but some classifications are, of course, not natural kinds, but conventional kinds, as you point out.

And what makes you think the classes of numbers are of the natural kind? A subscription to the Quine argument?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:16 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136548 wrote:
And what makes you think the classes of numbers are of the natural kind? A subscription to the Quine argument?

That's different. I don't know as I do think so. I think there are natural kinds, but not whether numbers are. I suspect they are.

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:18 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136542 wrote:
But you're saying the class of threes did have particulars that belonged to the class during a time when there were no people?
Which are triples, which is yet another class (or group).

Number ... three ... triple ... tree1, tree2, tree3.
Class ... class ... class ... not a class, not a class, not a class.

(I think)

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:24 pm
@fast,
fast;136559 wrote:
Which are triples, which is yet another class (or group).

Number ... three ... triple ... tree1, tree2, tree3.
Class ... class ... class ... not a class, not a class, not a class.

(I think)

You think the classes number, three, and triple, are mind independent?

Why?

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:37 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;136564]You think the classes number, three, and triple, are mind independent?[/quote]
Zetherin;136564 wrote:

Why?
Because they are non-spatiotemporal. They exist, in that they have properties, but they are without location and non-temporal--not to be confused with eternal.

Our concept of the number three (and remember, our concepts are not classes) is also without location [although it's said (but only said) to be located in the mind]; however, our concepts are not non-temporal. Some form (as we learn in childhood development) at a very young age, and other concepts are formed later on.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 01:50 pm
@fast,
fast;136571 wrote:
Because they are non-spatiotemporal. They exist, in that they have properties, but they are without location and non-temporal--not to be confused with eternal.

Our concept of the number three (and remember, our concepts are not classes) is also without location [although it's said (but only said) to be located in the mind]; however, our concepts are not non-temporal. Some form (as we learn in childhood development) at a very young age, and other concepts are formed later on.

And how is this different than the class of classics, which you already said:

Quote:

The class of all classics, the classics class, had no particulars that belonged to the class during a time when there were no people.

There were no particulars which belonged to the class of numbers during a time when there were no people, either. Isn't that right? If you think there was, where is the proof of this?

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136577 wrote:
And how is this different than the class of classics, which you already said:

There were no particulars which belonged to the class of numbers during a time when there were no people, either. Isn't that right? If you think there was, where is the proof of this?

You forget that a particular number is itself a class.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:01 pm
@fast,
fast;136580 wrote:
You forget that a particular number is itself a class.

No classes of numbers exist without humans.

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:04 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136581 wrote:
No classes of numbers exist without humans.
The existence of classes are human independent.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:08 pm
@fast,
fast;136583 wrote:
The existence of classes are human independent.

Not all classes, no. The class of classics, for instance, is not human independent.

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:24 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;136586]Not all classes, no. The class of classics, for instance, is not human independent.[/QUOTE]
All classes are human independent. Some particulars may or may not be human dependent, but all classes are human independent. There are an infinite number of classes for every system that Ahab could ever dream of.

The class of all pencils (the pencil class) is non-spatiotemporal, so the fact particular pencils were not invented until after there were people changes nothing about the fact no particular pencils belonged to the class of all pencils prior to the existence of humans.

You seem to think that the classes that house human dependent particulars exist only once the particulars do, but we need to remember that classes are non-spatiotemporal and as such do not pop into existence at particular times. I'm not saying that the pencil class existed during the time of dinosaurs, and the only reason I'm not saying it is because they are not within time. To say they are eternal is false. To say they are non-temporal is true.

Ahab

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:26 pm
@fast,
fast;136521 wrote:

Two things.

One, we use words. We can use words to refer. But, do not confuse the fact that we use words with the other fact that words refer. I can use the word "cat" and refer to a cat, but I can also (and oddly) use the word, "cat" and refer to a dog, but no matter how I use (or misuse) the term, the term "cat" continues to refer to the class of all cats despite how well I succeed or fail in using the term. The point I'm making is to not lose sight of the fact there is a difference between our using a term to refer to something and what that word itself refers to.

If I were to use the word "cat" to refer to a dog that may be an indication that I don't know the meaning of "cat" - I don't understand how to use that word correctly. Of course one also needs to know the context in which I made such a reference in order to be completely sure that I don't know the meaning of the word "cat". Perhaps I am using "cat" as a name or nickname for my dog because I find it funny to do so. And in all other uses of the word I comply with conventional usage.
Or we might call an old person a "child" or "youngster" because of his behavior. It is easy to explain such variant usage.
But that doesn't change the fact that there is a rule for determining what things a word itself may be correctly used to refer to. That is just another rule for its use.

Quote:

Two, all words have meaning, but not all words have referents. We need to remain vigilant not to confuse the meaning of word with the referent of a word. If you're interested in understanding what a word means, then you should be interested in how words are collectively used by fluent speakers of a language, but if you're interested in knowing whether or not a term is 1) a referring term that fails to refer, 2) a referring term that succeeds in referring, or 3) a non-referring term, then you should be more interested in whether something can (and if so, does) exist (whether concrete or abstract) that instantiates the term.

The meaning of a word is the rule or rules for its use. One of those rules would stipulate what it is a word can correctly be used to refer to, if a word is used to refer to something. If I want to know the meaning of "cat", someone can point at a picture of a cat and say, "That is what a cat looks like" or point to a cat sitting on the mat and say, "That is a cat sitting on the mat." . They can only do that because they know that one of the rules for the use of the word "cat" is to refer to that particular kind of mammal that is portrayed in the picture or is sitting on the mat.
Your concept of what is necessary for a word to refer or fail to refer appears to me to be a theory of reference. But I don't believe it accords with standard usage.
As to determing what entities may or may not exist. I believe that is the task of the scientist and not the philosopher. Although the philosopher can be of aid to the scientist by helping to clarify our common concepts. And certainly a person could be both a philosopher and a scientist.

Quote:

I think the term "my concept of my cat" is a referring term, and I think the term, "my cat" is a referring term, and I think the term, "cat" is a referring term. The referent to the term, "my cat" is obviously concrete, but careful we should be when comparing the other two. The term, "cat" refers to the class of all cats, and classes are independent of the mind, but the referent of the term, "my concept of my cat" is mind-dependent, yet there are some that would hold that the referent to both terms are abstract, but I'm thinking to do think so is to equivocate the term, "abstract." Neither have spatial predicates, and only one has a temporal predicate.

All of the particular cats that are included in the class we call "cat" are mind-independent in the sense that there would still be those particular substances in the world even if human beings were to go extnct or if there never had been humans. But there is no entity "cat" conceived as a class that is mind-independent. Systems of classification are not mind-independent.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:27 pm
@cws910,
fast wrote:

I'm not saying that the pencil class existed during the time of dinosaurs, and the only reason I'm not saying it is because they are not within time. To say they are eternal is false. To say they are non-temporal is true.

I am sorry, but this is not clear to me. You say that classes are human independent, you say that classes are not eternal, you say classes do not pop into existence at particular times, but then you note a particular time and say you do not know if X class existed at this time. I suppose I do not know what "non-temporal" means.

I think classes do pop into existence; we can create them. It's what seems the most reasonable, since the term "classic" is subjective in nature.

Ahab wrote:
Systems of classification are not mind-independent.

He is saying that classes are what somehow exist in a non-temporal and non-spatial way. But I agree with you: Aren't classes simply classificiations of what exist?

Ahab

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 02:44 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136596 wrote:

He is saying that classes are what somehow exist in a non-temporal and non-spatial way. But I agree with you: Aren't classes simply classificiations of what exist?

I think so. Our biological classifications of species, genus, etc. is certainly man-made. It meets our need to organize the complex variety of living substances we encounter in this world. That classification system has changed over time.

As far as I understand it, to say that something is non-temporal or non-spatial means we should not treat it as we would an entity in this world. And those entities enjoy independent existence. I don't understand how anything like numbers, or concepts or classes which are part of our system of representation, language, can be considered to be mind-independent.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 01:51:22