numbers vs. words

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:53 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136027 wrote:
That was exactly my first thought. But have you read Quine's arguments?

Yes, about natural kinds. We discovered that there were mammals, we did not invent that classification. And we discovered that whales are mammals and they are not fish. It was an error to believe that whales are fish just because they had the superficial aspects of fish. Similarly in the case of porpoises. I think that is right, don't you?

Ahab

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136030 wrote:
Yes, about natural kinds. We discovered that there were mammals, we did not invent that classification. And we discovered that whales are mammals and they are not fish. It was an error to believe that whales are fish just because they had the superficial aspects of fish. Similarly in the case of porpoises. I think that is right, don't you?

Thanks for specifying Quine's argument. Since I think that ultimately language is arbirtrary and not beholden to reality, I find little reason for accepting the concept of natural kinds.

Of course, the needs and interests of science are to classify things in accordance with what is perceived to be reality.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 12:12 PM ----------

Zetherin;136027 wrote:
That was exactly my first thought. But have you read Quine's arguments?

Kennethamy mentioned the natural kinds concept. Are there other reasons Quine had for not thinking that classification is ultimately arbitrary: that we set up rules for classifying things because of our needs and interests?

fast

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:39 pm
@Ahab,
[QUOTE=Ahab;136018]We could have chosen to number all planetary objects in pairs. That would mean that Mercury and Venus would be considered as one (the first pair), Earth and Mars as two (the second pair), etc. Although this sort of way of classifying the spatial relationships of the planets does not at first glance appear usefu, it is not too difficult to think of scenarios in which it could have arisen. [/QUOTE]The referent of the term, "three" is what it is, and even should it have ever been the case that we never discovered it, it would remain what it is; after all, truth is independent of knowledge.

What you have just suggested is the invention of a completely different numbering system with numerals that not only have different meanings but different referents as well. There are multiple ways to describe the world around us.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 02:44 pm
@cws910,
Ahab wrote:
Kennethamy mentioned the natural kinds concept. Are there other reasons Quine had for not thinking that classification is ultimately arbitrary: that we set up rules for classifying things because of our needs and interests?

I am referring to the link that was posted by ughaibu on the last page. Did you read that argument?

Ahab

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:51 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136061 wrote:
I am referring to the link that was posted by ughaibu on the last page. Did you read that argument?

No. Sorry, but I take the view that if a poster thinks an argument applies to the discussion at hand, they should at least be able to provide a brief summary of it themselves in their own words rather than just pointing to a link.

If I think your summary of Quine's argument has some merit then I will take the time to read the full argument later on.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 03:34 PM ----------

fast;136057 wrote:
The referent of the term, "three" is what it is, and even should it have ever been the case that we never discovered it, it would remain what it is;

That would only be true if the referent of "three" is a mind-independent entity, like a planet is But our concept of numbers is different than our concept of substances like planets.
And after all we do refer to things that are not mind-independent: like the rules of a game, or the laws of our country, or a poem.
Mathematical propositions are rules. Saying the number three is a mind-independent entity that we discover is like saying a Pawn is a mind-independent entity that we have discovered.
I would suggest that it is better to ask how we use the word "three" rather than ask what entity the word "three" stands for. That way you can reach a better understanding of the word "three" and avoid pointless speculations about the ontology of the number three.

Quote:

after all, truth is independent of knowledge.

So? That doesn't support your view that there is a mind-independent entity that we call "three".

I guess you can stipulate that a referent is a mind-independent entity that we refer to and then say that the referent of "three" is the number three and so that means we had to discover three because, being mind-independent, it enjoys independent existence just like other substances that we have discovered. But that is creating entities by stipulation. Not a very reliable way for determining what entities actually do exist.

Quote:

What you have just suggested is the invention of a completely different numbering system with numerals that not only have different meanings but different referents as well

Yes, I invented a different numbering system. And it differs from the invented numbering system we use.

Quote:

There are multiple ways to describe the world around us.

Well, that is one of the points I am trying to make here.

And we usually do not assume that a description of the world around us is a mind-independent entity. So why should we assume that of a number like three when we use it in a description of the planetary system we inhabit?

ughaibu

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 07:43 pm
@Ahab,
Ahab;136093 wrote:
No. Sorry, but I take the view that if a poster thinks an argument applies to the discussion at hand, they should at least be able to provide a brief summary of it themselves in their own words rather than just pointing to a link.
I hope this isn't meant to be a story concerning my behaviour.

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:48 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;135914 wrote:
I don't mean to imply you are wrong, but what makes you say this? Where does the number three exist in the world to be considered a referent?

I love that you picked the number 3. Also you make a great point. In my opinion, this question leads to fundamental ontology. Man can at the very least must think of unity, some kind of unity. From this unity, he invents a positional notation system. "3" is the name of a logorhtm, not a pure number, for every number system is based on a core number whose name is contingent. Wittgenstein proves this in the TLP. What is number? 190 proof concept. But what is the 200 proof something that generates concept? A transcendental faculty, methinks.....

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 09:50 PM ----------

Ahab;136093 wrote:

That would only be true if the referent of "three" is a mind-independent entity, like a planet is But our concept of numbers is different than our concept of substances like planets.

You make a good point. I completely agree that 3 is a logrthm, an instruction for game application. But unity is a spontaneous generation of the mind. And at the foundation of all our math and logic, and also our speech. Unity and negation are the only factors needed to create the most complicated math. The rest is shorthand instructions. Amazing, but true. "pi" is also a logorthm as no number can truly be irrational, but only a non-terminating logorthm at best, for logorthm is rational.

Ahab

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:47 am
@ughaibu,
ughaibu;136252 wrote:
I hope this isn't meant to be a story concerning my behaviour.

No. Sorry for that implication.
I don't at all object to links being placed to help provide information, as you did. But if a poster tells me that I need to follow a link because it invalidates or disproves a point or claim I was making without at least giving me an idea of why it invalidates or disproves my claim, I don't often follow their advice.

ughaibu

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:54 am
@Ahab,
Ahab;136450 wrote:
No. Sorry for that implication.
I don't at all object to links being placed to help provide information, as you did. But if a poster tells me that I need to follow a link because it invalidates or disproves a point or claim I was making without at least giving me an idea of why it invalidates or disproves my claim, I don't often follow their advice.
Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 07:58 am
@Ahab,
Ahab;136036 wrote:
Thanks for specifying Quine's argument. Since I think that ultimately language is arbirtrary and not beholden to reality, I find little reason for accepting the concept of natural kinds.

Of course, the needs and interests of science are to classify things in accordance with what is perceived to be reality.

---------- Post added 03-04-2010 at 12:12 PM ----------

Even if language were arbitrary (and I do think you mean conventional, not arbitrary), why would that show there were no natural kinds? If language is conventional, that doesn't show there are no chairs and tables, does it?

Of course, language is a series of conventions. There is nothing about chairs that force us to call them, "chairs". After all, the French do not call them, "chairs", they call them, "chaises". But why should that fact mean there are no chairs? And why should the fact that language is conventional mean that there are no natural kinds?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 08:49 am
@cws910,
Ahab wrote:

But if a poster tells me that I need to follow a link because it invalidates or disproves a point or claim I was making without at least giving me an idea of why it invalidates or disproves my claim, I don't often follow their advice.

But who told you that the link invalidates or disproves a claim you've made? I was merely asking if you read the argument so we all could discuss it here (I'm personally having trouble even understanding it). If you would be so kind as to refer back to the last couple pages, you would see that the claims you've made I agree with. And I thought I voiced so.

Ahab

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:04 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;136463 wrote:
But who told you that the link invalidates or disproves a claim you've made? I was merely asking if you read the argument so we all could discuss it here (I'm personally having trouble even understanding it). If you would be so kind as to refer back to the last couple pages, you would see that the claims you've made I agree with. And I thought I voiced so.

Sorry for misunderstanding you. Will try and take a close look at the site later today.

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:08 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136452 wrote:
Even if language were arbitrary (and I do think you mean conventional, not arbitrary), why would that show there were no natural kinds? If language is conventional, that doesn't show there are no chairs and tables, does it?

Of course, language is a series of conventions. There is nothing about chairs that force us to call them, "chairs". After all, the French do not call them, "chairs", they call them, "chaises". But why should that fact mean there are no chairs? And why should the fact that language is conventional mean that there are no natural kinds?

Language is a series of forms presented in a conventional way so as to best communicate the message, which is truth..

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:13 am
@Fido,
Fido;136472 wrote:
Language is a series of forms presented in a conventional way so as to best communicate the message, which is truth..

What truth does the sentence, "What time is it?" communicate?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:20 am
@Ahab,
Ahab;136468 wrote:
Sorry for misunderstanding you. Will try and take a close look at the site later today.

Not your fault, I wasn't clear enough.

Anyway, I'd really like it if someone wrote a summary on that argument posted (like Ahab suggested).

---------- Post added 03-05-2010 at 10:21 AM ----------

kennethamy;136473 wrote:

Well if you someone asks you "What time is it?", perhaps it communicates that you have a watch on!

Ahab

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:24 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136452 wrote:

There may well be different conceptions of 'natural kind' that I am not aware of. But the one I find fault with is the conception that it is the real essence of a thing that determines the meaning of the natural kind name. That science discovers the real meaning of a word rather than the meaning being stipulated.

I think it an illusion that science can discover the real meaning of words like 'gold' or 'water'. The meaning of a word is determined by convention not by discovery. However, a discovery may be elevated into convention by agreement on a new rule for using a word. We place a high value on scientific discovery in our culture, so such an elevation is quite common.

Certainly I agree with you that we could have called a chair a "horse" instead of a "chair". In the same way, we could have called the Pawns in chess "Peasants" instead. But it is the rules we determine for the use of "horse" and "peasent" that are relevant here. Not simply using a different combination of letters for naming something.

Fido

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:30 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;136473 wrote:

That it is time to buy a watch???

I haven't got the time or the inclination to write you a book, but given that time is one of those parameters that help us make sense of all reality, I, or anyone could write you a book on the subject and harldy dent the surface...

Clearly, in question, time is treated as an object, though as one always in flux, important to both, and so a form in common... Would you like more???

fast

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:37 am
@Ahab,
[QUOTE=Ahab;136093]That would only be true if the referent of "three" is a mind-independent entity, like a planet is But our concept of numbers is different than our concept of substances like planets. [/QUOTE]I think I have good handle on the distinction between a concept and what a concept is a concept of. For example, my concept of Earth is one thing, and what my concept is a concept of, namely, Earth--aka the referent of the term, "Earth" is another thing. One is a mental entity, and the other is not. One's existence depends on my existence whereas the other does not.

Just as we can distinguish between 1) a concept and 2) what a concept is a concept of for concrete objects, so too ought we be able to do so for abstract objects. I'm not absolutely positive on the following note, but I think maybe the term, "abstract" is ambiguous. For example, consider the difference between my concept of class versus class. Keep in mind that the former is a concept thus a mental entity (abstract, in one sense), but the latter (what the concept is a concept of), or class, is also abstract (but in a different sense). I believe my concept of my cat was not around before me, nor do I believe that my concept of my cat will be around after i'm gone, heaven forbid, so I don't think my concepts are abstract, as we generally think of abstract entities, but my concepts are nevertheless abstract in that they are mental entities.

The way I see it is that I have a concept of the number three, and that is mind dependent (or abstract in one sense), but "three" refers not to my concept of the number three (as "my concept of the number three" refers to that) but instead refers to the number three (which is not abstract in that same sense but abstract in the other sense), as the number three is a class, and a class is a not abstract in the mind dependent sense.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 09:44 am
@cws910,
fast wrote:

The way I see it is that I have a concept of the number three, and that is mind dependent (or abstract in one sense), but "three" refers not to my concept of the number three (as "my concept of the number three" refers to that) but instead refers to the number three (which is not abstract in that same sense but abstract in the other sense), as the number three is a class, and a class is a not abstract in the mind dependent sense.

What about words like "good", "delicious", "comforting"?

What is the referent of "delicious"? Is it simply my meatloaf, because I consider my meatloaf to be delicious? That is, does it refer to what I consider delicious? Does delicious refer to anything? If not, does it fail to refer, or does it not even attempt to refer at all?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 5 Mar, 2010 10:39 am
@Ahab,
Ahab;136480 wrote:
There may well be different conceptions of 'natural kind' that I am not aware of. But the one I find fault with is the conception that it is the real essence of a thing that determines the meaning of the natural kind name. That science discovers the real meaning of a word rather than the meaning being stipulated.

I think it an illusion that science can discover the real meaning of words like 'gold' or 'water'. The meaning of a word is determined by convention not by discovery. However, a discovery may be elevated into convention by agreement on a new rule for using a word. We place a high value on scientific discovery in our culture, so such an elevation is quite common.

Certainly I agree with you that we could have called a chair a "horse" instead of a "chair". In the same way, we could have called the Pawns in chess "Peasants" instead. But it is the rules we determine for the use of "horse" and "peasent" that are relevant here. Not simply using a different combination of letters for naming something.

No one, I think, has said that science discovers the "real meaning" of words. I don't think I would understand that view. But I do think that science can make discoveries about the nature of water. Isn't the discovery that each molecule of water consists of one molecule of hydrogen and two of oxygen, a discovery? So that, for instance, were we to come across a substance that looked like water, and we called it "water" but it turned out not to have the chemical composition of water, that the substance would not be water? That is certainly true of "fool's gold" or iron pyrite. See the film, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre for the scene in which some think that iron pyrite is gold.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:46:59