What is Free Will?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

fast

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 12:34 pm
@fast,
I want to drive, but I don't want to take the drivers test, but I'm told that there will be negative consequences for driving without a license, so even though I don't want to take the test, I will because I want to drive more than I don't want to take the test. I took the test. Did I take the test of my own free will?

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 04:01 pm
@fast,
I think perfect Free Will is a myth, an impossible ideal. After all, we are social animals with needs and fears. But "freedom" is more complicated. So many definitions out there.

Camerama

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 05:23 pm
@kennethamy,
Free Will to me is freedom to choose in the face of an alternative

fast

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:27 am
@fast,
Free will is the ability to do what we want to do.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 08:35 am
@fast,
fast;113563 wrote:
I want to drive, but I don't want to take the drivers test, but I'm told that there will be negative consequences for driving without a license, so even though I don't want to take the test, I will because I want to drive more than I don't want to take the test. I took the test. Did I take the test of my own free will?

Of course not. You did not want to take the test.

---------- Post added 12-23-2009 at 09:36 AM ----------

Reconstructo;113602 wrote:
I think perfect Free Will is a myth, an impossible ideal. After all, we are social animals with needs and fears. But "freedom" is more complicated. So many definitions out there.

No one claimed that there was "perfect" free will (whatever that would be).

fast

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:03 am
@kennethamy,
[QUOTE=kennethamy;113751]Of course not. You did not want to take the test.[/QUOTE]I agree with you of course, as it seems clear that a necessary condition of doing something of my own free will is that I want to do it.

This example seems awkward though. Imagine the response I would get by claiming that I took the test but did not do so of my own free will. There is no law that says I must take the driver's test, and no one other than myself made the choice to take the test. I wasn't even compelled to take the test. The government would have been content with me never taking it so long as I didn't drive. There were only consequences for driving if I didn't take the test.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:07 am
@fast,
fast;113763 wrote:
I agree with you of course, as it seems clear that a necessary condition of doing something of my own free will is that I want to do it.

This example seems awkward though. Imagine the response I would get by claiming that I took the test but did not do so of my own free will. There is no law that says I must take the driver's test, and no one other than myself made the choice to take the test. I wasn't even compelled to take the test. The government would have been content with me never taking it so long as I didn't drive. There were only consequences for driving if I didn't take the test.

But you were compelled to take the test if you wanted to drive. And the fact that you may not have been compelled drive (if true) does not mean that you were not compelled to take the test if you wanted to drive.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:11 am
@fast,
fast;113763 wrote:

Don't convolute the matter; what you just said could be applied to almost anything - we often have the ability to choose otherwise, but that isn't the point. You were right the first time around: Free will is doing what we want to do. And because you took the driver's test unwillingly, you did not take the driver's test on your own free will. Remember, as we keep noting, being compelled does not necessarily mean that you only had one option.

memester

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:29 am
@Zetherin,
and we might also remember that a claim of being compelled by a slight breeze, to plunge a knife into someone's chest, is not such a great excuse.

how ridiculous are the claims to be ? Your Honour, but I wanted some extra money. And I was compelled to kill him. The breeze blew in that drection, the knife went in, and then he no longer had no use for the money, so that thought compelled me to take it.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:37 am
@memester,
memester;113772 wrote:
and we might also remember that a claim of being compelled by a slight breeze, to plunge a knife into someone's chest, is not such a great excuse.

Yes, you are correct. As kennethamy noted earlier there's a correlation between the level of the compeller and the quality of the excuse; the greater the compeller, the better the excuse.

memester

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:41 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113775 wrote:
Yes, you are correct. As kennethamy noted earlier there's a correlation between the level of the compeller and the quality of the excuse; the greater the compeller, the better the excuse.
And isn't that where the "overwhelming" bit comes in ?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:53 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113775 wrote:

I don't think I said that. The worse thing you do, the better the excuse had better be, maybe.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 09:58 am
@kennethamy,
memester wrote:
And isn't that where the "overwhelming" bit comes in ?

Right!

kennethamy;113779 wrote:
I don't think I said that. The worse thing you do, the better the excuse had better be, maybe.

Well, you said:

kennethamy wrote:

I think we can learn a lot about free will from studying excuses. The better the excuse, the less the degree of freedom.

Which pretty much equates to, the better the excuse, the greater the compeller. At least, that's how I interpreted "the less the degree of freedom".

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:05 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113780 wrote:
Right!

Well, you said:

Which pretty much equates to, the better the excuse, the greater the compeller. At least, that's how I interpreted "the less the degree of freedom".

To tell you the truth, I don't know what I meant by that. The worse what you did was, the more you need an excuse, and the better excuse you need. How is that? Excuses are attempts to show that what you did, you did not do freely (at least to some extent).

Zetherin

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;113785 wrote:
To tell you the truth, I don't know what I meant by that. The worse what you did was, the more you need an excuse, and the better excuse you need. How is that? Excuses are attempts to show that what you did, you did not do freely (at least to some extent).

Yeah, what I said was vague. I meant that if you're overwhelmingly compelled, you probably have a better excuse for doing what you did (showing that you did not do it freely).

No, this doesn't sound right.

Because I could be overwhelmingly compelled, and still have a horrible excuse. For instance, I could be overwhelmingly compelled by a certain medication to commit some act. But, my excuse may be horrible since I was not prescribed to that medication, and more, I stole it from a friend!

fast

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:16 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113775 wrote:

A slight breeze would not compel us to do such a thing, nor would a strong and forceful wind. Theoretically, I suppose a strong and forceful wind could cause us to do such a thing.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:18 am
@fast,
fast;113788 wrote:
A slight breeze would not compel us to do such a thing. Theoretically, I suppose a slight breeze could cause us to do such a thing.

Hm. If a breeze caused me to stab someone, couldn't we say the breeze compelled me to stab that person? In this case I had only one option, but I did not want to stab that person.

What sorts of things can compel, and what sorts of things cannot compel? And what does my knowing I am compelled have to do with it?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:20 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113787 wrote:
Yeah, what I said was vague. I meant that if you're overwhelmingly compelled, you probably have a better excuse for doing what you did (showing that you did not do it freely).

Because I could be overwhelmingly compelled, and still have a horrible excuse. For instance, I could be compelled, by a certain medication, to commit some act. But, my excuse may be horrible since I was not prescribed that medication and actually stole it from a friend!

Yes. Your not being able to help what you did is an excellent excuse. So is ignorance of what you were doing. I don't see how you came by that medicine matters to whether you you could not help what you did. That, of course, may lessen the power of your excuse to get you off the hook. It is just like killing someone when driving drunk. It is allowed that you did not kill intentionally. But you are punished for killing even if it was not intentional, since you should not have driven when drunk. Manslaughter, not murder.

---------- Post added 12-23-2009 at 11:25 AM ----------

Zetherin;113789 wrote:
Hm. If a breeze caused me to stab someone, couldn't we say the breeze compelled me to stab that person? In this case I had only one option, but I did not want to stab that person.

What sorts of things can compel, and what sorts of things cannot compel? And what does my knowing I am compelled have to do with it?

What compels is partly an empirical question. But Aristotle in discussing this question in Book III of the Nichomachean Ethics (a marvelous discussion) observes that there are some things which no person should allow himself to be compelled to do. Like betraying his country (City) or his family. Not even under torture.

memester

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:54 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113787 wrote:

Because I could be overwhelmingly compelled, and still have a horrible excuse. For instance, I could be overwhelmingly compelled by a certain medication to commit some act. But, my excuse may be horrible since I was not prescribed to that medication, and more, I stole it from a friend!
The problem you are encountering is that you are failing to stop at correct cause. You are groping back unjustifiably.

fast

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2009 10:55 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;113789 wrote:
Hm. If a breeze caused me to stab someone, couldn't we say the breeze compelled me to stab that person?
We cannot infer that you were compelled by the fact there was a cause.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:39:22