The Difference Between Causality and Determinism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:22 am
@prothero,
ACB wrote:

Yes, I do have another reason. I am arguing that your decision, although voluntary, was caused by your brain state at that moment. Given that brain state, you could not have done otherwise. You were not compelled to go to the restaurant against your will, but you were physically caused (or compelled) to want to go. The physical state of your brain was a sufficient reason for your decision.

If I were to bend my legs and jump, would I not be jumping because my legs were bent? In other words, it appears as though you believe that because my brain is operating in a certain manner when I make a choice, I am not making a choice. That seems incredibly odd to me. Of course it's going to be operating in a certain manner - do you believe you can make choice without your brain? What would me making a choice without any brain activity look like?

I propose that if we were speaking of any other creature capable of rational choice, we would not run into the problem this discussion has: Mystifying the ability to make choice. Throughout the hundreds of lab tests with rats, where we document their ability to choose which path to go down, we never see someone asking: "Well, are you sure the rats are actually making a choice?! Are you sure it's not just their brain state?!".

So, I ask you: What do you think making a choice is? What would have to occur for us to be actually making a choice?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:29 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117269 wrote:
If I were to bend my legs and jump, would I not be jumping because my legs were bent? In other words, it appears as though you believe that because my brain is operating in a certain manner when I make a choice, I am not making a choice. That seems incredibly odd to me. Of course it's going to be operating in a certain manner - do you believe you can make choice without your brain? What would me making a choice without any brain activity look like?

I propose that if we were speaking of any other creature capable of rational choice, we would not run into the problem this discussion has: Mystifying the ability to make choice. Throughout the hundreds of lab tests with rats, where we document their ability to choose which path to go down, we never see someone asking: "Well, are you sure the rats are actually making a choice?! Are you sure it's not just their brain state?!".

So, I ask you: What do you think making a choice is? What would have to occur for us to be actually making a choice?

He may think that only choices made of my own free will are "real" choices. And since he believes that all choices are caused, and all causes compel, and what is compelled is not something I do of my own free will, he concludes that no choices are "real" choices. The false premise there is that all causes compel.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117271 wrote:
He may think that only choices made of my own free will are "real" choices. And since he believes that all choices are caused, and all causes compel, and what is compelled is not something I do of my own free will, he concludes that no choices are "real" choices. The false premise there is that all causes compel.

I think you are right. The problem is the belief that all causes compel.

I think it is a mystifying of what making a choice is. It is not simply an acting on a thought process, to him. It is something which can only be attained with no boundaries, not hinderences, no causes. He believes that if the firing of my neurons are what cause my choice, that I am now not making a choice - as you note, he believes the cause compels me. But of course there has to be a cause to my choice. And this is why I ask what would a choice look like without any cause, without any brain activity? Well, it wouldn't be a choice at all, would it?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 10:06 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117278 wrote:
I think you are right. The problem is the belief that all causes compel.

I think it is a mystifying of what making a choice is. It is not simply an acting on a thought process, to him. It is something which can only be attained with no boundaries, not hinderences, no causes. He believes that if the firing of my neurons are what cause my choice, that I am now not making a choice - as you note, he believes the cause compels me. But of course there has to be a cause to my choice. And this is why I ask what would a choice look like without any cause, without any brain activity? Well, it wouldn't be a choice at all, would it?

Or rather, there would be no choice. Since, if determinism is true, then every event has some cause.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 11:38 am
@kennethamy,
We act based on a "Gravitational" order of need...

The funny thing on this is that you people are defending the de arranged idea that 2+2 might have a different quotient than 4, or worse, several outcomes...

Best Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

Zetherin

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:13 pm
@prothero,
Fil. Albuquerque wrote:

The funny thing on this is that you people are defending the de arranged idea that 2+2 might have a different quotient than 4, or worse, several outcomes...

Wait, what group of people do you believe are defending that? I don't quite understand who your post is directed to. And don't you mean sum of 4? A quotient is the result of division, not addition.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:19 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117312 wrote:
We act based on a "Gravitational" order of need...

Best Regards>FILIPE DE ALBUQUERQUE

No one said there was no cause.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 12:21 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117327 wrote:
Wait, what group of people do you believe are defending that? I don't quite understand who your post is directed to. And don't you mean sum of 4? A quotient is the result of division, not addition.

Correct on both... :bigsmile:
---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 01:32 PM ----------
kennethamy;117328 wrote:
No one said there was no cause.

kenneth,(if I may) CAUSE leads to CONSEQUENCE !!! (no way around that)

---------- Post added 01-05-2010 at 01:48 PM ----------

20 years more on the road and Physics will crawl back 100 years...witch is not bad at all...final fantasy time is over or coming to an end.

ACB

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 03:14 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Kennethamy and Zetherin - You have made various statements in reply to my posts, but I am having difficulty in putting them all together to form a coherent picture. It is like a jigsaw puzzle with ill-fitting and/or missing pieces. I am not even quite sure whether you are fully in agreement with each other. So let me ask some specific questions:

1. Please re-read the OP. Do you accept prothero's distinction between (strong) determinism and (weak) causality? The former excludes chaos theory and quantum mechanics (and is therefore presumably false), while the latter includes them. Note that this is a different matter from the distinction between "hard" and "soft" determinism. As prothero pointed out in post #5, the OP did not concern the question of free will.

2. Do physical laws (plus indeterminacies if applicable) entirely explain our choices and actions?

3. I am puzzled by your claim that not all causes compel. By this you seem to mean that the cause (or joint causes) of a human choice were not sufficient to make that choice inevitable. Is that what you are saying? If so, it seems to violate the Principle of Sufficient Reason.

4. Regarding kennethamy's restaurant example, I ask again: Why did you agree to your friend's suggestion? What was the cause of your acceptance? (Never mind whether causes compel.)

5. If "hard" determinism is as absurd as you seem to think, how do you account for the fact that it is a serious philosophical position?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 05:29 pm
@ACB,
ACB;117404 wrote:
Kennethamy and Zetherin - You have made various statements in reply to my posts, but I am having difficulty in putting them all together to form a coherent picture. It is like a jigsaw puzzle with ill-fitting and/or missing pieces. I am not even quite sure whether you are fully in agreement with each other. So let me ask some specific questions:

1. Please re-read the OP. Do you accept prothero's distinction between (strong) determinism and (weak) causality? The former excludes chaos theory and quantum mechanics (and is therefore presumably false), while the latter includes them. Note that this is a different matter from the distinction between "hard" and "soft" determinism. As prothero pointed out in post #5, the OP did not concern the question of free will.

2. Do physical laws (plus indeterminacies if applicable) entirely explain our choices and actions?

3. I am puzzled by your claim that not all causes compel. By this you seem to mean that the cause (or joint causes) of a human choice were not sufficient to make that choice inevitable. Is that what you are saying? If so, it seems to violate the Principle of Sufficient Reason.

4. Regarding kennethamy's restaurant example, I ask again: Why did you agree to your friend's suggestion? What was the cause of your acceptance? (Never mind whether causes compel.)

5. If "hard" determinism is as absurd as you seem to think, how do you account for the fact that it is a serious philosophical position?

1. To the best of my scant knowledge, quantum physicists hold that indeterminism is true at the micro-level. So that is what I believe too. Whether this affects the macro-level of behavior, I have no idea.

2. I do not know what you mean by "entirely explain".

3. I don't mean by "compel","inevitable". Why would you think I do? "inevitable" means unavoidable. I could have avoided going to the restaurant. I did not have to go. It was only a suggestion. I mean by "compel" either constrain or restrain contrary to what the person compelled does not want, or wants, to do. Isn't that what the English term, "compel" means? That was what caused me to follow his suggestion. What would you have thought did so?

4. I agreed to my friend's suggestion (in this hypothetical example) because I respect his judgment about food, and about his knowing what I would like.

5. I don't think hard determinism is absurd. I think it is false because I don't believe that determinism is incompatible with free will. That is, I think they are compatible.

ACB

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 06:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117278 wrote:

If you are arguing that:

(a) the experience of making a choice is an epiphenomenon of mechanical processes going on in your brain; and

(b) those processes are entirely caused by physical laws acting on the antecedent conditions (allowing for any indeterminacy required by chaos theory and quantum theory),

then, if you want to refer to the feeling of being free to choose as "free will", I have no dispute. But I think many people's idea of free will is of something metaphysical or purely mental, and not reducible to physical (mechanical) processes.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 06:45 pm
@ACB,
ACB;117447 wrote:
If you are arguing that:

(a) the experience of making a choice is an epiphenomenon of mechanical processes going on in your brain; and

(b) those processes are entirely caused by physical laws acting on the antecedent conditions (allowing for any indeterminacy required by chaos theory and quantum theory),

then, if you want to refer to the feeling of being free to choose as "free will", I have no dispute. But I think many people's idea of free will is of something metaphysical or purely mental, and not reducible to physical (mechanical) processes.

Well, it appears as though we have no dispute, then.

I cannot imagine a metaphysical free will, as I have no idea what that means. I believe that, without my brain, I would not be able to make choices. And, I believe the phenomenon which is my consciousness is a result of activity in my brain, whatever that activity may be. And, I do not think I would be conscious if I did not have a brain, and I do not think that I would be able to make choices without being conscious. So, my choice-making ability has to be reducible to something physical, even if to truly understand it we must reach for further understanding in quantum mechanics.

What would having metaphysical free will mean? As in, I, supernaturally, make choices? Does this have something to do with a notion of God?

Also, what is the difference between my feeling as though I am able to make a choice and then making that choice, and actually being able to make a choice? How would you distinguish the two? Or would you? You seem like you would since you state: "then, if you want to refer to the feeling of being free to choose as "free will", I have no dispute".

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:05 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;117448 wrote:
Well, it appears as though we have no dispute, then.

I cannot imagine a metaphysical free will, as I have no idea what that means. I believe that, without my brain, I would not be able to make choices. And, I believe the phenomenon which is my consciousness is a result of activity in my brain, whatever that activity may be. And, I do not think I would be conscious if I did not have a brain, and I do not think that I would be able to make choices without being conscious. So, my choice-making ability has to be reducible to something physical, even if to truly understand it we must reach for further understanding in quantum mechanics.

What would having metaphysical free will mean? As in, I, supernaturally, make choices? Does this have something to do with a notion of God?

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 07:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117450 wrote:

The view that people who think that there is free will think that human actions and choices either have no cause, or are caused by some mysterious metaphysical event is understandable (since that has been an important part of the history of the issue) but we can all agree that view is bankrupt and clearly should be discarded. But, then, no one who uses the term expression, "I did it of my own free will" (or cognate expressions) means the bankrupt notion. What is meant when that expression is ordinarily used is that the action or the choice was not compelled, so the agent did it "of his own free will". To say that I did something of my own free will is not to say of it that it has some mysterious cause. It is to deny that its cause was a compelling cause. It is not deny that I was either constrained or retrained from doing as I pleased. Now, where the traditional and discardable idea of free will as a kind of mysterious cause of action, or the denial that the action was caused, meets my description of what is ordinarily meant by "free will" as a denial of compulsion, is when somebody insists that all causation is compulsion. And it is that belief that has to be addressed if the compatibilist view of free will (that free action is consistent with caused action) is to be argued for.

I hope the above makes matters clearer, or, at least, shows what the issue is.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:10 pm
@kennethamy,

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:13 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117470 wrote:

Yes. What makes no sense is the major issue. But what makes sense is a minor issue. So it goes with some philosophy. What has it to do with politics?

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:22 pm
@prothero,
"Politics"..."Diplomacy"...Conciliating the common sense thinking with some big important and so it seams also inaccessible questions...remember the book ?
- "BULLSHIT" !
(no offence meant, as I regard you, to the average, as a fairly superior intellect)

kennethamy

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:37 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil. Albuquerque;117478 wrote:
"Politics"..."Diplomacy"...Conciliating the common sense thinking with some big important and so it seams also inaccessible questions...remember the book ?
- "BULLSHIT" !
(no offence meant, as I regard you, to the average, as a fairly superior intellect)

I am utterly overwhelmed. I don't understand your first paragraph. What is wrong with commonsense? Maybe questions are inaccessible because of the lack of commonsense. There used to be a television show called, "I Love a Mystery". You would have just adored it! God forbid that we should actually try to give sensible answers to philosophical questions! It would offend the gods of obscurity.

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 08:43 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117496 wrote:
I am utterly overwhelmed. I don't understand your first paragraph. What is wrong with commonsense? Maybe questions are inaccessible because of the lack of commonsense. There used to be a television show called, "I Love a Mystery". You would have just adored it! God forbid that we should actually try to give sensible answers to philosophical questions! It would offend the gods of obscurity.

ACB

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2010 09:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;117464 wrote:
Now, where the traditional and discardable idea of free will as a kind of mysterious cause of action, or the denial that the action was caused, meets my description of what is ordinarily meant by "free will" as a denial of compulsion, is when somebody insists that all causation is compulsion. And it is that belief that has to be addressed if the compatibilist view of free will (that free action is consistent with caused action) is to be argued for.

I think this is just a matter of words. It depends how one defines "free" and "compulsion". But now that I understand how you are using these words, I agree with you and Zetherin. Smile

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:55:02