Is omniscience compatible with human freedom?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:07 pm
@ACB,
ACB;107621 wrote:
No, not for an omniscient being. If it is possible to know them, then God does know them. But if they don't exist, it's not possible to know them, so he can't.

Well yes, of course. If there are facts, then necessarily, God knows of them. But then what? Certainly not that they necessarily had to be facts.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:19 pm
@kennethamy,
Sometimes I feel like we're actually wrestling with language, not with eachother...

fast

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:21 pm
@kennethamy,
Notice the placement of the modal operator, "necessarily" in the following sentences:

1) Necessarily, if you are married, then you have a spouse.
2) If you are married, then necessarily, you have a spouse.

What is necessary is everything that follows the modal operator, so notice that the scope of the modal operator in the first sentence is greater than it is in the second sentence. What is necessary in the first sentence is, "if you are married, then you have a spouse," and that is a necessary truth. What is (purportedly) necessary in the second sentence is, "you have a spouse," but that (though perhaps true) is not a necessary truth but instead a contingent truth. Sentence one is true, but sentence two is false.

People confuse the two and think that sentence number two is true because sentence number one is true, but that is an error in reasoning and therefore a fallacy, and since it's an error of reasoning with modalities, it has come to be known as the modal fallacy.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 02:28 pm
@fast,
fast;107634 wrote:
Notice the placement of the modal operator, "necessarily" in the following sentences:

What is necessary is everything that follows the modal operator, so notice that the scope of the modal operator in the first sentence is greater than it is the second sentence. What is necessary in the first sentence is, "if you are married, then you have a spouse," and that is a necessary truth. What is (purportedly) necessary in the second sentence is, "you have a spouse," but that (though perhaps true) is not a necessary truth but instead a contingent truth. Sentence one is true, but sentence two is false.

People confuse the two and think that sentence number two is true because sentence number one is true, but that is an error in reasoning and therefore a fallacy, and since it's an error of reasoning with modalities, it has come to be known as the modal fallacy.

I was not aware that where the "necessarily" is placed, necessarily matters (I say necessarily matters, because I can think of cases where it could matter). To me, both of those sentences read identically. And I think this is often how people speak. I could see someone speaking each sentence and meaning the same thing.

So, is the modal fallacy really pointing out an error in reasoning, or an error in language? In my case, I was confused as I didn't know that the placement of "necessarily" changed the meaning of the sentence, and in my ordinary use of language, I've never made such a distinction. It makes me think that modal operators, in the English language, aren't clarified enough.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 07:00 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;107633 wrote:
Sometimes I feel like we're actually wrestling with language, not with eachother...

"Philosophy is a constant battle against the bewitchment of the intelligent by language". Wittgenstein

---------- Post added 12-02-2009 at 08:14 PM ----------

Zetherin;107636 wrote:
I was not aware that where the "necessarily" is placed, necessarily matters (I say necessarily matters, because I can think of cases where it could matter). To me, both of those sentences read identically. And I think this is often how people speak. I could see someone speaking each sentence and meaning the same thing.

So, is the modal fallacy really pointing out an error in reasoning, or an error in language? In my case, I was confused as I didn't know that the placement of "necessarily" changed the meaning of the sentence, and in my ordinary use of language, I've never made such a distinction. It makes me think that modal operators, in the English language, aren't clarified enough.

As I wrote, to hold that if you know that p is true, then necessarily p is true, implies that it is possible to know only necessary truths. But to hold that necessarily, if you know that p is true, then p is true, is not to imply that it is possible to know only necessary truths. So those statements must be different, since one can be true when the other is false. And, indeed, the first is false, and the second is true.

As Emil keeps pointing out, in this case, English (natural language) is misleading, and modal logic is clarifying. Modal logic gives us what is sometimes called, "a perspicuous representation" of the logical form behind the linguistic appearances. It is just another case of appearance versus reality; this time, linguistic appearance versus linguistic reality. Noam Chomsky, the famous linguist, calls this the difference between surface grammar, and deep grammar.

To quote Wittgenstein once more, "Philosophy is a constant battle against the bewitchment of the intellect by language".

Emil

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2009 06:41 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;107328 wrote:
If God's knowing is certain, as God's knowing is infallible, how is this a no? I must do what God knows, as what he knows is certain. And with this logic, the answer to your question here:

is yes.

I actually meant I slipped into an irrelevance.

It's hard to know what you mean when you don't formalize here. These "must"'s can be interpreted two ways (at least).

salima

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 01:48 pm
@fast,
fast;107634 wrote:

What is necessary is everything that follows the modal operator, so notice that the scope of the modal operator in the first sentence is greater than it is in the second sentence. What is necessary in the first sentence is, "if you are married, then you have a spouse," and that is a necessary truth. What is (purportedly) necessary in the second sentence is, "you have a spouse," but that (though perhaps true) is not a necessary truth but instead a contingent truth. Sentence one is true, but sentence two is false.

people would think that sentence two is true because otherwise what does it mean? that if you are married you dont necessarily have to have a spouse?
you cant say 2 is false-you can only say that it is false that 2 is necessarily true!
what i dont understand is why use the word necessarily at all?

there seem to be two ways of using language...to me, using the word necessarily is a more poetic or aesthetic way of wording the sentence, and might be meant only to imply a shade of meaning such as the words 'of course' or 'certainly' would add. but essentially it would not be a limit or condition placed on the other words in the sentence. in fact, why did i just use the word 'essentially'?

in that case, people need to specify whether or not they are using words as they are defined in 'formal logic' or common everyday use. this happens all the time on the forum. there are some people who are so well versed in the definitions and use of words in formal logic that they arent able to understand a person who is speaking in layman's terms any more.

Emil

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:07 pm
@salima,
salima;110270 wrote:
people would think that sentence two is true because otherwise what does it mean? that if you are married you dont necessarily have to have a spouse?
you cant say 2 is false-you can only say that it is false that 2 is necessarily true!
what i dont understand is why use the word necessarily at all?

there seem to be two ways of using language...to me, using the word necessarily is a more poetic or aesthetic way of wording the sentence, and might be meant only to imply a shade of meaning such as the words 'of course' or 'certainly' would add. but essentially it would not be a limit or condition placed on the other words in the sentence. in fact, why did i just use the word 'essentially'?

in that case, people need to specify whether or not they are using words as they are defined in 'formal logic' or common everyday use. this happens all the time on the forum. there are some people who are so well versed in the definitions and use of words in formal logic that they arent able to understand a person who is speaking in layman's terms any more.

A strict interpretation of (2) yields a falsity. But we ordinarily use (2)-alike sentences when we mean (1). The modal fallacy is when we confuse them such as in many arguments against the possibility of free will and omniscience. I have no seen an argument yet that does not commit this fallacy.

□(P→Q)
P→□Q

Of course, this is hardly understandable if you don't know logic, especially propositional logic.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:14 pm
@kennethamy,
Emil, I'm a fan of propositional logic. I do, however, think it bumps against its limits at time. For instance, "the church is the bride of Christ." <__This is a sublime metaphorical statement, and metaphor is associated with rhetoric. I feel that logic has sold out emotional depth and wisdom (a term that is itself to hazy for logic), for gains in clarity and persuasiveness. Logic is perfect on its home court. But the big questions of life dwarf the capacities of a logic that turns its back on metaphor and an organically holistic view of language as it used by passionate beings for whom truth is only a means --excepting those for whom "truth" is a symbol of transcendence or God.Smile

with respect,
recon

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:26 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;110281 wrote:
Emil, I'm a fan of propositional logic. I do, however, think it bumps against its limits at time. For instance, "the church is the bride of Christ." <__This is a sublime metaphorical statement,
recon

What has that to do with the modal fallacy, and the error of thinking that omniscient is incompatible with free will?

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:31 pm
@salima,
salima;110270 wrote:

Salima makes a good point. I respect both logic and figurative language. I criticize logic not for its successes but for its transgressions into territory it is not equipped to deal with.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:54 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;110290 wrote:
Salima makes a good point. I respect both logic and figurative language. I criticize logic not for its successes but for its transgressions into territory it is not equipped to deal with.

What makes you think this is part of that territory? The logic is quite clear. Omniscience is not logically incompatible with free will.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:57 pm
@kennethamy,
Actually, I think omniscience and free-will are a difficult match. I suspect the case made for either side will lean more on rhetoric than logic. I also suspect that most have emotional reasons for choosing one side or the other. Smile

kennethamy

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 02:59 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;110303 wrote:
Actually, I think omniscience and free-will are a difficult match. I suspect the case made for either side will lean more on rhetoric than logic. I also suspect that most have emotional reasons for choosing one side or the other. Smile

What does "difficult match" mean? Are they compatible or not. Clearly knowing what someone will do is compatible with his doing it freely, since it can be known that he will freely do it.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:03 pm
@kennethamy,
The problem is predestination. If God knows the future, how does this square with man acting freely in the present? I think it's a difficult issue.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:08 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;110308 wrote:
The problem is predestination. If God knows the future, how does this square with man acting freely in the present? I think it's a difficult issue.

Because, even if God knows, how does this prevent someone from freely choosing? God can simply know that I freely chose something. God's knowing doesn't take away my freedom, it just means my freedom is known by God.

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:15 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;110310 wrote:
Because, even if God knows, how does this prevent someone from freely choosing? God can simply know that I freely chose something. God's knowing doesn't take away my freedom, it just means my freedom is known by God.

I respect your opinion. Still, long long ago I was religious in the traditional sense, and the problem of free will and omniscience helped corrode my faith.

The bible (at times) suggests that the majority of human beings end up in hell. Why would a majority choose the wrong path? Or why would 50 percent choose the wrong path? As soon as we subtract the contingent influences that a just God presumably allows for in his calculations, what is left of this concept Free Will? And what can we make of a God who knowingly creates beings that will for the most part suffer eternally?

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:20 pm
@kennethamy,
Reconstructo wrote:
I respect your opinion. Still, long long ago I was religious in the traditional sense, and the problem of free will and omniscience help corrode my faith.

I'm not sure this is a matter of opinion. How would God's knowing prevent you from freely doing something?

Quote:

The bible (at times) suggests that the majority of human beings end up in hell. Why would a majority choose the wrong path? Or why would 50 percent choose the wrong path? As soon as we subtract the contingent influences that a just God presumably allow for, what is left of this concept Free Will? And what can we make of a God who knowing creates beings that will for the most part suffer eternally?

But none of this has to do with what we're talking about here.

ACB

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;110306 wrote:
What does "difficult match" mean? Are they compatible or not. Clearly knowing what someone will do is compatible with his doing it freely, since it can be known that he will freely do it.

But, as has been pointed out before, it is far from clear that being certain what someone will do is compatible with his doing it freely. I am still pondering this question. I suppose it depends what one means by "freely".

If there exists a future fact that God has always known, then it must always have been an existent fact, otherwise God could not have known it. In that case, it must always have been a settled matter, so it is hard to see in what sense it could be regarded as contingent. So if there is a future human action that God knows with certainty, it could be argued that the action is necessary, and hence not free.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 03:32 pm
@kennethamy,
ACB wrote:

If there exists a future fact that God has always known, then it must always have been an existent fact, otherwise God could not have known it. In that case, it must always have been a settled matter, so it is hard to see in what sense it could be regarded as contingent. So if there is a future human action that God knows with certainty, it could be argued that the action is necessary, and hence not free.

God's certainty would not make the action necessary; it would not change my motives for that future action, or whether I had the freedom to do said action.
[INDENT]Scenario A: Let's assume that God knows that I will be under heavy influence from a powerful medication and that I will break a bottle. All of this was against my own will, and I was nearly unconscious of my action; my action were compelled. God knows this with certainty.

Scenario B: Let's also assume that I consciously chose to order Chinese food instead of Thai food tonight from my favorite restaurant. This was a conscious choice, to which I had the freedom in choosing; this was not a compelled action. God also knows this with certainty.
[/INDENT]God's knowing does not mean 1.) I wasn't compelled to break the bottle because of the drugs, or 2.) I didn't have the freedom to choose Chinese over Thai that night.

God's omniscience simply means God knows all of my actions, whether I freely choose them or not.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 07:22:05