Define "being"

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fairbanks

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 05:21 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
At present I have begun to read Being and Time just past the hammer you mention.

Sincere condolences. Smile

Richardgrant

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:43 pm
@Fairbanks,
We live in a thought wave mirror imaged universe, which is our consciousness or being. All actions in Nature are extenstions from zero to zero and back again to zero. All are balanced simultaneously and sequentionially. This is a zero universe of plus and minus zero which never exceeds the zero of the ONE Light from which it seemingly sprang as multiplicity

Holiday20310401

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 10:22 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richard, I'd really like to understand what you mean here, so I just need to know what you mean by plus and minus 0. Do you mean like " +/- 0 "?Smile

Because I don't understand how zero can act as a value to change the potentiality of any resultant value being positive or negative? :perplexed:

Richardgrant

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:45 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 wrote:
Richard, I'd really like to understand what you mean here, so I just need to know what you mean by plus and minus 0. Do you mean like " +/- 0 "?Smile

Because I don't understand how zero can act as a value to change the potentiality of any resultant value being positive or negative? :perplexed:

To explain the Oneness of creation there are no words that are suitable to fully explain the unseen, which is pure consciousness. This the zero universe, the cause of all creation. As I open up to who I am I realize this body of Richard is only a reflection of the One mind. This body of Richards is a vehicle to express the one mind of the creator, which is expressed in duallity, the plus and minus - the inbreath and out breath. Walter Russell uses many books to explain how creation works which sits well with me, and I apply these teaching in my every day living which in turn gives me very good quality of life without any illnesses

Paracelsus

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 03:39 am
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;31719 wrote:
Sincere condolences. Smile

Yes well the same could be said for Derrida, personally I would recommend Deleuze for any metaphysical affliction.

Fairbanks

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:01 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
I would recommend Deleuze for any metaphysical affliction.

Smile
Derrida is like an old friend. Good stuff. I have a sample of Deleuze's work I picked up at the 50 cent bin, might take another look later. Just inventoried my library. Four shelves read if not comprehended, ten shelves to go. Little of this is in the original language, most is translated into a form of English. This book knowledge will come in handy some day said my neighbor Don Quixote, although Socrates would not approve.

Paracelsus

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:26 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;31814 wrote:
Smile
Derrida is like an old friend. Good stuff. I have a sample of Deleuze's work I picked up at the 50 cent bin, might take another look later. Just inventoried my library. Four shelves read if not comprehended, ten shelves to go. Little of this is in the original language, most is translated into a form of English. This book knowledge will come in handy some day said my neighbor Don Quixote, although Socrates would not approve.

Thread Digression, while one can engage in discursive practice at University and with other like minds, knowledge is primarily transfered though the Logos. And you would know that Derrida decried this tyranny of the written word. But this is the world we live in and re Deleuze I have read a lot and it has brought me to the conclusion that if one is serious about philosophy, then you will recognise that is a practical too, albeit a multi functioning one and not just some form of intellectualism. After all why do this? What is the motivation to know what Being is? Anyway I digress so back to Being then.

Fairbanks

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 03:13 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
. . . knowledge is primarily transfered though the Logos. And you would know that Derrida decried this tyranny of the written word. But this is the world we live in and re Deleuze I have read a lot and it has brought me to the conclusion that if one is serious about philosophy, then you will recognise that is a practical too, albeit a multi functioning one and not just some form of intellectualism. After all why do this? What is the motivation to know what Being is? Anyway I digress so back to Being then.

Smile
The logos is divine, that is, the direct word of the gods who didn't use writing but speak or spoke directly to the poets. Writing is not an aid to memory or discourse but an impediment. That is Ammon's advice to Thoth the inventor of writing. Little did Ammon know that we would have Internet forums. Little did Socrates know that his words would be written after all. Define 'Being?' Can't. If we define it it isn't Being.

Paracelsus

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 04:54 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;31865 wrote:
Smile
Define 'Being?' Can't. If we define it it isn't Being.

Sorry don't agree with this line of reasoning. If the human condition is to be studied, examined discussed and written upon then there arises a common consensus about what being is and what its principals, aspects components ect are. But there are divergent opinions as to what being is I think the confusion arrises at times due to the fact that for some when we define being we also appear to be defining existence by default which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

For arguments sake 'Being is the that is of the human condition while existence is the What is of that Being.'

And if we define something that does not imply that it has no room for extension does it?

Fairbanks

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 05:47 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
. . . For arguments sake 'Being is the that is of the human condition while existence is the What is of that Being.'

And if we define something that does not imply that it has no room for extension does it?

Smile
What about things that aren't human, such as, to pick one, a tree. Being or existence?
How about a painting of a tree, or a poem about a tree (Joyce Kilmer, been there, seen the placque and the window and the tree). Being or existence?
How about Being itself. What is the being of Being.
If we define something we have to define it with something and that something would have being, so being would have to come before definition.

Paracelsus

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2008 06:39 pm
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;32439 wrote:
Smile
What about things that aren't human, such as, to pick one, a tree. Being or existence?
How about a painting of a tree, or a poem about a tree (Joyce Kilmer, been there, seen the placque and the window and the tree). Being or existence?
How about Being itself. What is the being of Being.
If we define something we have to define it with something and that something would have being, so being would have to come before definition.

I admit that your correct about one thing and that is to define one thing it has to be in relation to another.Hence Heiidegger defining being as being in relation the world, which is quite vast and also being in the now, sorry I dont subscribe to his idea of time mine is linked to Bergson and Deleuze in terms of duration.

But seeing as you have picked the creative arts painting, poetry these are creative activities conducted by individuals in reaction to either their own being or the events of the world in which they live think Picasso and Guernica as a work of art which had its genesis as a reaction to an act of barbarity.

And to move back to Being that is the topic under investigation and or speculation as to what constitutes it what its qualities are, how is it expressed isnt that the point that Being does not have closure it can't be one specific thing.

Are you talking about states and if so what type of state?

OctoberMist

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 02:12 am
@saiboimushi,
saiboimushi said:

Quote:

What is "being"? Can one answer this question without a tautology? And if not, why?

Excellent question. Thank you for posting it, Saiboimushi. Smile

I would define being this way:

The experience of being mentally present* in each moment of one's existence.

(* - "present" - Mentally existing in real time in each moment of one's reality without being dragged into mentally-triggering phases of emotional / intellectual memory and being able to process the events of one's reality in real time.]

Fairbanks

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:30 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
I admit that your correct about one thing and that is to define one thing it has to be in relation to another.Hence Heiidegger defining being as being in relation the world, which is quite vast and also being in the now, sorry I dont subscribe to his idea of time mine is linked to Bergson and Deleuze in terms of duration.

But seeing as you have picked the creative arts painting, poetry these are creative activities conducted by individuals in reaction to either their own being or the events of the world in which they live think Picasso and Guernica as a work of art which had its genesis as a reaction to an act of barbarity.

And to move back to Being that is the topic under investigation and or speculation as to what constitutes it what its qualities are, how is it expressed isnt that the point that Being does not have closure it can't be one specific thing.

Are you talking about states and if so what type of state?

Smile
I might talk about the state later. To follow Bergson and Deleuze we go to Whitehead. I began with William James, which is immediately Psychology, which led to Bergson, Deleuze, Husserl, and Whitehead. Self is very intricate but ultimately an unknown outside philosophy. I am with Plato on art and creativity.

Fairbanks

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:36 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
saiboimushi said:

Excellent question. Thank you for posting it, Saiboimushi. Smile

I would define being this way:

The experience of being mentally present* in each moment of one's existence.

(* - "present" - Mentally existing in real time in each moment of one's reality without being dragged into mentally-triggering phases of emotional / intellectual memory and being able to process the events of one's reality in real time.]

Smile
We can't be 'here' 'now'. We are here only in reflection, some time past, and in anticipation, some time future. The 'present' is merely the infinitesimal gap between past and future, too small for us to inhabit. The universe exists only now, and we, while part of the universe, exist now but have being outside 'now'.

Paracelsus

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:45 am
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;32550 wrote:
Smile
I am with Plato on art and creativity.

So was Stalin for that matter.:eek:

Fairbanks

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:20 pm
@Paracelsus,
Paracelsus wrote:
So was Stalin for that matter.:eek:

:rolleyes:
Stalin was the world's greatest scientist and mimeograph operator, neither an artist nor a philosopher.

Richardgrant

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:57 pm
@Fairbanks,
Being is pure consciousness, which is all there is, the I AM of all creation. It is the only thing that is real, nothing real is ever created, the material world is all a reflection of being, and can only exist in the here and now, no past or future, eternity is now

Fairbanks

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 03:11 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant wrote:
Being is pure consciousness, which is all there is, the I AM of all creation. It is the only thing that is real, nothing real is ever created, the material world is all a reflection of being, and can only exist in the here and now, no past or future, eternity is now

Smile
Sounds like Husserl.
Tends to be over in the psychology camp as much as the philosophy camp. Where would the consciousness be located?

Paracelsus

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:56 am
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;32745 wrote:
:rolleyes:
Stalin was the world's greatest scientist and mimeograph operator, neither an artist nor a philosopher.

That may be the case but sadly he adopted the logic and rhetoric of Plato as he tried to make the arts conform to his specific vision of what art and is and how it should function in society.

Paracelsus

Reply Wed 12 Nov, 2008 01:58 am
@Fairbanks,
Fairbanks;32762 wrote:
Smile
Sounds like Husserl.
Tends to be over in the psychology camp as much as the philosophy camp. Where would the consciousness be located?

The Brain? The Mind? Or is the mind a full body impediment to understanding?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 01:37:18