Do numbers exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

hue-man

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:32 am
@prothero,
prothero;85077 wrote:
I am afraid you are an empirical materialist and I am more a rational idealist.
What we will have here is "failure to communicate" due to profound differences in our underlying metaphysical assumptions about "reality" and "existence".

If you are in the garden with an amorous prospect I suggest you do not express your feelings in terms of neurons, chemical neurotransmitters, PET scans and Skinner's behaviorism.

I still maintain that the fact that the universe is rational, ordered and predictable and expressible in mathematical terms is a philosophical or metaphysical problem worth pondering rather than dismissing.

Idealism is dead, and for good reason, too. When you say amorous, I'm assuming you mean a significant other. Well I am an empirical materialist, but your interpretation of my perspective on life and beauty is very skewed. I value beauty and love in the same way that you do, but I also know how to classify things according to their relationship to the universe and reality. It's called logical clarification of thought.

salima

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:32 am
@vectorcube,
you mean like 'one is the loneliest number....?

prothero

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:18 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;85138 wrote:
Idealism is dead, and for good reason, too. When you say amorous, I'm assuming you mean a significant other. Well I am an empirical materialist, but your interpretation of my perspective on life and beauty is very skewed. I value beauty and love in the same way that you do, but I also know how to classify things according to their relationship to the universe and reality. It's called logical clarification of thought.

My apologies, I am sure you do.

The point would be more that the things you do value (love, truth, beauty, the good) what Kierkegaard would call subjective truths you classify as not "real" having no "existence".

The things which have little value to you rocks and other material objects do "exist" and are "real" objective truths.

It is called "materialism" not necessarily "logical clarification of thought".

I have a broader notion of both reality and existence and in truth so do you.

hue-man

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:26 am
@prothero,
prothero;85143 wrote:
My apologies, I am sure you do.

The point would be more that the things you do value (love, truth, beauty, the good) what Kierkegaard would call subjective truths you classify as not "real" having no "existence".

The things which have little value to you rocks and other material objects do "exist" and are "real" objective truths.

It is called "materialism" not necessarily "logical clarification of thought".

I have a broader notion of both reality and existence and in truth so do you.

Idealists believe that ideas and concepts make up reality. I wouldn't call that a broader notion; it's just another form of monism.

I wasn't necessarily saying that materialism was about the logical clarification of thought. I was saying that my categorization of things as objects or subjects was due to my desire to logically clarify my thoughts.

I'm not devaluing subjective ideas and concepts. I'm simply saying that they exist only as abstractions, not as objects.

prothero

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:01 am
@vectorcube,
OK, let try this

Numbers have coherence, they are the result of logic and reason.
Numbers have correspondence, all natural laws are expressed in numerical form.
Numbers have consensus, universally taught and correct results universally accepted.
Numbers have all the properties of truth.
Does truth exist?

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:59 am
@prothero,
Can I be an empirical immaterialist idealist?

Yes numbers have coherence, that's why its a useful logical system.

Numbers correspond to all natural laws as expressed in their numeric form. How circular is that?? Not to mention, such laws may not be so orderly if we didn't adopt a logical system that was orderly to begin with. Plenty of constants are irrational.

Why does it matter if numbers are universally taught?

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 11:09 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;85091 wrote:
But I say that the nature they were raised in was rational from the outset.
Nature may have some internal system about it, but the system of reason used by humans does not perfectly correspond to it -- our reason is uniquely human, and this is why scientific discovery has refined how we think about nature. It was perfectly "rational" for Aristotle to intuit that heavenly bodies moved in circles and earthly bodies in straight lines. But he was wrong -- his own reasoning was inconsistent with nature.

jeeprs;85091 wrote:
Mathematics is not 'just a language' and neither maths nor language work by 'corresponding to objects of perception'.
Math is abstracted out of sense experience, and has been abstractly systematized. I wouldn't belittle it as "just a language", but there is no basis to say that it has some independent reality or existence. We use math to describe natural phenomena. We can think abstractly, so we can also now use this system without specific reference.

hue-man

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 12:51 pm
@prothero,
prothero;85154 wrote:
OK, let try this

Numbers have consensus, universally taught and correct results universally accepted.
Does truth exist?

Mathematics is axiomatic, which is why it yields universally correct results when done correctly. As I've said before, truth exists only as a concept or an abstraction. What is real about truth are the objects that truth refers to, and the same goes for mathematics.

vectorcube

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 01:15 pm
@prothero,
prothero;85154 wrote:
OK, let try this

Does truth exist?

:brickwall:

Is that an argument of some sort?

---------- Post added 08-23-2009 at 02:21 PM ----------

hue-man;85146 wrote:

I'm not devaluing subjective ideas and concepts. I'm simply saying that they exist only as abstractions, not as objects.

Not entirely so. Numbers cannot be an abstraction of anything. What does an infinite set an abstraction of?

---------- Post added 08-23-2009 at 02:33 PM ----------

Aedes;85160 wrote:
Nature may have some internal system about it, but the system of reason used by humans does not perfectly correspond to it -- our reason is uniquely human, and this is why scientific discovery has refined how we think about nature. It was perfectly "rational" for Aristotle to intuit that heavenly bodies moved in circles and earthly bodies in straight lines. But he was wrong -- his own reasoning was inconsistent with nature.

Well, people are smart enough to built tv, and microwave. I think people ought to have gotten something right.

Quote:

Math is abstracted out of sense experience,

abstract from what?

prothero

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:00 pm
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;85171 wrote:
:brickwall:
Is that an argument of some sort?

Well a lot of people might be more favorable towards or attracted to the metaphysical notion of "truth".

Some would still say "truth" does not "exist" or is not "real" but there is more relutance to dismiss the notion that there is such a thing as "truth" and that possession of it is a good. Especially since both philosophers and scientists claim to be engaged in pursuit of the "truth"

In discussions of "what is truth" the usual definitions involve truth as consistency, or coherence(for philosophers), or correspondence (for scientists) or perhaps the weakest form truth as consensus (for politicians and religious leaders)

Whatever your definition for "truth", (mathematics would seem to meet all the proposed definitions). So it would seem to me (weak though my intellect might be) that if one thinks truth "exists" so do "numbers"

Anyway it is all semantics about how one defines "reality" and "existence". No one can deny the power of mathematics to model and allow prediction of the behavior of the natural world.

Classically rationalism versus empiricism hinges on the notion that knowledge can be developed a priori independent of sense perception experience. That is not to say that every rational formulation is also "true" or corresponds to the "real" world but some of them do. Several great ideas have been developed through thought experiments and only empirically verified later.

---------- Post added 08-23-2009 at 05:02 PM ----------

salima;85139 wrote:
you mean like 'one is the loneliest number....?

If I were a number, I would be feeling pretty abandoned about now.
I do not "exist". I am not "real".
Wait a second, where would you be in your pursuit of truth and scientific knowledge without me.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:28 pm
@vectorcube,
My argument is that what exists and what real are not the same. I am saying that our rationality and the rational activity of consciousness (= the soul) is the foundation of reality.

Reality is beyond the division between subjective and objective because it must include both. Empiricists attempt to define in such a way that it only includes the objective.

Aedes argument is that all our notions are derived from experience of what exists. However philosophers cannot demonstrate that mathematics is founded in empirical experience of the world. Some essential part of it must always exist 'a priori'. However the basis of Aedes objection is really religious in nature, because he believes (like I suspect everyone else on this forum) that everything must be explicable with reference to evolution. Because evolution has become your religion.

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 08:01 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;85215 wrote:
Aedes argument is that all our notions are derived from experience of what exists. However philosophers cannot demonstrate that mathematics is founded in empirical experience of the world.
You don't need to be a philosopher to know that there is no such thing as a human who has not had empirical experience. And you don't need to be a philosopher to know that a child has years of concrete sensory experience before developing the capacity for abstract thought.

jeeprs;85215 wrote:
Some essential part of it must always exist 'a priori'.
We would never apprehend abstract math without first learning to count on our fingers. Abstract flights of fancy and creativity don't somehow get codified as a priori unless you happen to live in Kant's world of self-celebration.

jeeprs;85215 wrote:
However the basis of Aedes objection is really religious in nature, because he believes that everything must be explicable with reference to evolution. Because evolution has become your religion.
Glad you know me so well, but you're completely, utterly, and totally wrong. Thanks for trying. :brickwall:

prothero;85061 wrote:
That may be, but somehow my notion is that mathematics, like reason and logic, are hardwired into our experience (indeed into nature itself).
The potential for mathematical, rational, and logical thought may be hardwired, but that's a statement about what our brains can do and not what nature consists in. And until we can find a nonhuman brain to corroborate us, all we've got is our brains' perspective.

prothero;85061 wrote:
Somewhat in the same way that Hume suggests causality is a universal notion and Kant suggests that time and space are intrinsic mental features. They are not dependent on experience.
And they're both missing the obvious staring them in the face. There is no one living outside time and space. There is no one living in a world without cause and effects. And causality is a cognitive milestone that babies develop during their first year of life as a result of doing things and watching the result -- anyone who has had a child knows that at a certain point they begin to understand that when they do things they elicit a predictable response.

jeeprs;85091 wrote:
But I say that the nature they were raised in was rational from the outset.
Rational is a judgement made by rational thinkers. There is no way to honestly say that this is an unbiased claim about the intrinsic fundamentals of nature. Nature simply is what it is. We use rationality to make sense of it.

vectorcube;85171 wrote:
Well, people are smart enough to built tv, and microwave. I think people ought to have gotten something right.
You think they did that by sitting around thinking until the idea popped into their heads? Or did they build upon scientific research and engineering?

vectorcube;85171 wrote:
abstract from what?
The fact that we look at the world and see quantities. We see one rock or two rocks or three rocks. We count on our fingers. We enumerate, add, and subtract. Multiplication is simply a shorthand for addition, and division is the reciprocal of multiplication. Numbers as abstract concepts came out of this world experience. And I'm still waiting for the 18th century rationalists to point out the person who invented mathematics without ever having had sense experience.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:07 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;85232 wrote:
You don't need to be a philosopher to know that there is no such thing as a human who has not had empirical experience. And you don't need to be a philosopher to know that a child has years of concrete sensory experience before developing the capacity for abstract thought.

This still does nothing to prove that the basis of mathematics is empirical. A creature has years of concrete sensory experience and never develops abstract thought. A child has the capacity to learn because humans have the innate ability to do so.

I am inclined to think that the account given by empricists of the nature of human intelligence is no longer even coherent. In their eagerness to deny the possibility of anything 'metaphysical' in their account of the functioning of the human intelligence, and instead account for it 'in terms of what is really here' (i.e. material reality), they must deny that the human mind possesses innate ideas which reflect that innate rationality of the cosmos and instead provide an account of intelligence solely with reference to adaptive behaviours.

If rationality and mathematical ability were explainable only with reference to natural selection, then the only judgement we are justified in making about their efficacy would be that they have helped us to survive - which is, of course, tautological (i.e. 'they are true, because we have used them to survive; we have survived, therefore they must be true').

There would be no intrinsic reason why we should expect that any of the predictive abilities that rationality provides should actually reveal truth. And in fact if we are to believe that all of our faculties are merely due to the accretion of incremental changes through millenia of evolution, how could we expect to have any idea of truth that is not merely local, instrumental and immediately verifiable? How is it that Einstein can make predictions about the behaviour of objects that have never been sighted that turn out to be true decades after they were comiitted to paper? At the very least, one must conclude that we have developed abilities far and beyond those that can just be explained with reference to 'adapation', in which case, the fact of evolution itself does not provide a basis for the ability.

From a reviewof Dawkins The God Delusion by Alvin Plantinga:

"Since we have been cobbled together by (unguided) evolution, it is unlikely, he (Dawkins) thinks, that our view of the world is overall accurate; natural selection is interested in adaptive behavior, not in true belief. ...Like most naturalists, Dawkins is a materialist about human beings: human persons are material objects; they are not immaterial selves or souls or substances joined to a body, and they don't contain any immaterial substance as a part. From this point of view, our beliefs would be dependent on neurophysiology, and (no doubt) a belief would just be a neurological structure of some complex kind. Now the neurophysiology on which our beliefs depend will doubtless be adaptive; but why think for a moment that the beliefs dependent on or caused by that neurophysiology will be mostly true? Why think our cognitive faculties are reliable?"

I think, pragmatically, most scientists understand that the basis of rationality and mathematics is just a given. They cannot be explained, but can be used to extraordinary effect for all kinds of purposes. It just takes a little humility - an attribute that Dawkins for one seems to be entirely devoid of. Our ability to be rational has evolved, but the rational nature of the universe has always existed. And to say this is to say no more than any philosopher - as distinct from scientist - would say up until about the 18th century: I am a rational soul in an intelligible universe. This is not a 'dogmatic assertion of unjustified faith'. It is a reasonable judgement about the nature of existence made on the basis of our experience. The attempt to deny it undermines not only religion, but also most of metaphysics, and, I believe, the very basis of science itself.

Aedes

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:25 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;85243 wrote:
This still does nothing to prove that the basis of mathematics is empirical.
The basis of mathematics is abstract numbers. The basis of abstract numbers is quantification. The basis of quantification is empirical.

And even if this argument isn't 100% airtight, it's a world better than the proposition that ANYTHING a human does or thinks is entirely divorced from experience.

jeeprs;85243 wrote:
A creature has years of concrete sensory experience and never develops abstract thought. A child has the capacity to learn because humans have the innate ability to do so.
MOST humans have an innate ability to do so. A human with a biologically damaged brain may not. It stands to reason that there is a biological determinant that gives us the capacity for complex, abstract thought, because such a capacity can easily be taken away with a head injury.

jeeprs;85243 wrote:
I am inclined to think that the account given by empricists of the nature of human intelligence is no longer even coherent.
I'm not arguing on their behalf. They were idealists too, and our understanding of human cognitive development has changed quite a bit in the intervening 300 years.

jeeprs;85243 wrote:
If rationality and mathematical ability were explainable only with reference to natural selection...
I don't recall having made that argument, and for that matter I think it's irrelevant to this discussion how we came to be abstract thinkers. The fact of the matter is that abstract thought only develops within a mind that is already full of empirical, sensory experience -- and you have no basis to argue the contrary. In other words, all human abstraction is both informed by and contaminated with experience, because there is no other possibility of how we come to think abstractly.

jeeprs;85243 wrote:
And in fact if we are to believe that all of our faculties are merely due to the accretion of incremental changes through millenia of evolution.
Again, how we came to think abstractly is incidental. I'll stipulate for this argument that God created the human brain. It makes no difference.

vectorcube

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 09:28 pm
@prothero,
prothero;85202 wrote:

Whatever your definition for "truth", (mathematics would seem to meet all the proposed definitions). So it would seem to me (weak though my intellect might be) that if one thinks truth "exists" so do "numbers"

Classically rationalism versus empiricism hinges on the notion that knowledge can be developed a priori independent of sense perception experience. That is not to say that every rational formulation is also "true" or corresponds to the "real" world but some of them do. Several great ideas have been developed through thought experiments and only empirically verified later.

No problem if you don ` t know the matter. Start with what you know, and argue from there. It is also good to read books on the matter, because no one is smart enough to figure out everything for himself.

I agree with you that is nice to think about numbers as being mind independent. There is however the problem of how we account for knowledge of mathematical objects. This is not at all trival, because entire party line is divided according to it in modern analytic philosophy. I suggest Amazon.com: Thinking about Mathematics: The Philosophy of Mathematics (9780192893062): Stewart Shapiro: Books.

---------- Post added 08-23-2009 at 10:35 PM ----------

jeeprs;85215 wrote:
My argument is that what exists and what real are not the same. I am saying that our rationality and the rational activity of consciousness (= the soul) is the foundation of reality.

Reality is beyond the division between subjective and objective because it must include both. Empiricists attempt to define in such a way that it only includes the objective.

Aedes argument is that all our notions are derived from experience of what exists. However philosophers cannot demonstrate that mathematics is founded in empirical experience of the world. Some essential part of it must always exist 'a priori'. However the basis of Aedes objection is really religious in nature, because he believes (like I suspect everyone else on this forum) that everything must be explicable with reference to evolution. Because evolution has become your religion.

Good idea to start with a distinction between ideas, but bad idea to not give any motivations for it. Why the distinction?

Objective, and subjective are epistemic notions( related to how we know something), thus, they cannot have anything to do with reality at all.

---------- Post added 08-23-2009 at 10:44 PM ----------

Aedes wrote:

You think they did that by sitting around thinking until the idea popped into their heads? Or did they build upon scientific research and engineering?

Not so simple. When you talk about science, you are talking about scientific theory. The problem is the classic realist/antirealist debate in the philosophy of science. The basic equation is do we have justification for the stuff we postulate in modern physics that accounts for what we see. The anti-realist argue that scientific theory are instruments for predicting, and it really does not tell us the truth. The realist say the oppose.

---------- Post added 08-23-2009 at 10:55 PM ----------

Quote:

The fact that we look at the world and see quantities. We see one rock or two rocks or three rocks. We count on our fingers. We enumerate, add, and subtract. Multiplication is simply a shorthand for addition, and division is the reciprocal of multiplication. Numbers as abstract concepts came out of this world experience. And I'm still waiting for the 18th century rationalists to point out the person who invented mathematics without ever having had sense experience

Not so simple. It is a standard line to think of numbers as an "abstract of" something, but what? Numbers have properties, and in general, if something has properties, then it exist. Modern philosophy say numbers are "abstract objects". They have no causal interaction with physical matter, but they still exist. The party line is divided between platonist, and the nominalist.

jeeprs

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 10:03 pm
@vectorcube,
Well, I should respond by qualifying that statement I made re Aedes position being 'religious in nature' - I accept that I jumped to a conclusion in that regard and withdraw the suggestion with regards to his contribution to the discussion.

However I do maintain that in the modern world, evolution has been elevated to the status of religion insofar as it is held to be a complete explanation of human nature. But perhaps I am shadow-boxing with Dawkins here, I tend to do that a lot.:bigsmile:

I will return to this discussion a bit later, I have to work...

jeeprs

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 02:04 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;85250 wrote:
Good idea to start with a distinction between ideas, but bad idea to not give any motivations for it. Why the distinction?

Objective, and subjective are epistemic notions (related to how we know something), thus, they cannot have anything to do with reality at all.

Re the first point, was mentioned in an earlier post.

Re the second point, this may well be true, but how many times do you hear the word 'objective' used in such a way that it means 'true in reality'. Something that is 'objectively so' is in fact just 'so'. And I am questioning that.

ACB

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:16 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;85250 wrote:

It is a standard line to think of numbers as an "abstract of" something, but what? Numbers have properties, and in general, if something has properties, then it exist. Modern philosophy say numbers are "abstract objects". They have no causal interaction with physical matter, but they still exist. The party line is divided between platonist, and the nominalist.

Isn't this just playing with words? Does the question of whether numbers 'exist' have any substance, or is it merely a matter of personal attitude? How could the question ever be satisfactorily resolved, and is it even meaningful? Does anything important depend on it? Ultimately, does it matter?

Aedes

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:51 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;85250 wrote:
Numbers have properties, and in general, if something has properties, then it exist.
The CONCEPT exists. That's different than saying the NUMBER exists.

The abstract notions of 1 and 2 denote concepts, and their properties are tautological:

2 is twice 1

1 is half 2

vectorcube;85250 wrote:
They have no causal interaction with physical matter, but they still exist.
Then you have a different sense of what "exists" than I do.

I have a concept of unicorns:
Do they exist the same way that numbers do?
Do they exist the same way that horses do?

vectorcube;85250 wrote:
The party line is divided between platonist, and the nominalist.
Nominalism is water under the bridge, and platonism is a LOT of water under the bridge.

My position is that we first need to understand the difference between what's in our heads versus out in the world. In other words, let's try to come to grips with numbers and mathematics as cognitive phenomena.

juri006

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:21 pm
@vectorcube,
no, numbers don't exist!

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 02:05:27