Do numbers exist?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

vectorcube

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:13 am
@Theages,
Theages;83661 wrote:
I respectfully suggest that it is literally impossible to prove a negative existential claim, so your "there might be" is completely vacuous. I am completely confident that it is not the case that there are angels in heaven.

I claim there are not white m&m in the box. I can conceivably find out that there are no white m&m in the box by inspection.

I don` t know what you are eating but angels do exist in heaven, unless we mean something different by angels and heaven.

Theages

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:59 am
@vectorcube,
vectorcube;83966 wrote:
angels do exist in heaven

Okay, go to heaven, find an angel, and get back to me.

vectorcube

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:08 am
@Theages,
Theages;83973 wrote:
Okay, go to heaven, find an angel, and get back to me.

That` s it? That `s your refutation? Maybe you should take your advice.

Theages

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:18 am
@vectorcube,
What refutation? You made an existential claim, so the burden of proof is on you. And what advice are you talking about?

vectorcube

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:39 am
@Theages,
Theages;83978 wrote:
What refutation? You made an existential claim, so the burden of proof is on you. And what advice are you talking about?

Read it again. I said there are no white m&m in the box. How is this an existential claim?

Maybe you have mind angels in heaven. Nice thing about it is that i never said heaven exist.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:00 am
@vectorcube,
Tell me how we got from 'numbers' to 'angels'.

Wasn't this why they had the Reformation?

ACB

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:54 am
@jeeprs,
1. If numbers exist, do they exist before any person or computer has conceived or represented them? Do we discover prime numbers, or do we generate them by means of pre-existing rules?

2. If numbers only exist in our minds, do we need a clear mental image of their magnitude in order to claim that they exist? When mathematicians use special notation to represent particular unimaginably large numbers, are they really conceiving or showing those numbers, or are they just displaying a few symbols and nothing more?

jeeprs

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 06:12 am
@vectorcube,
I say numbers are real regardless of whether they are perceived or not. The relationships that are expressed by numerical symbols have obtained since the moment of creation.

They are not, however, evident, until the intelligence develops to perceive them. So they don't exist in the same way that material objects exist.

---------- Post added 08-18-2009 at 10:15 PM ----------

this is why they are a problem for empirical philosophy - because they don't exist in the same way as an object, and yet they are also not simply a product of mental operations.

Theages

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:02 am
@jeeprs,
vectorcube;83980 wrote:
Read it again. I said there are no white m&m in the box. How is this an existential claim?

An existential claim is one that has to do with the existence of something. "There are no what M&Ms in the box." The "there are" ("il y a", "es gibt", etc) makes it existential.

Quote:
Maybe you have mind angels in heaven. Nice thing about it is that i never said heaven exist.

If heaven doesn't exist, then it is not the case that there are heaven in angels. QED.

jeeprs;83984 wrote:
Tell me how we got from 'numbers' to 'angels'

The argument prompting this thread relies upon the statement "There are four prime numbers between 10 and 20." This is an existential claim. Someone suggested that this existential claim is as meaningless as a religious existential claim like "There are angels in heaven." I responded that the claim about numbers carries more weight and is not the same, but then someone else said that there might really be angels.

Exebeche

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 02:40 pm
@salima,
Exebeche wrote:
No matter what kind of formal system you use, the same rules appear in all of the systems.

Theages;83643 wrote:
That's not true. See e.g. An Introduction to Non-Classical Logic: From If to Is

Too bad, i was curious about a further explanation, but this is only an advertise for a book.
It doesn't explane what you mean.

Theages;83643 wrote:
Can you say with any confidence "It is not the case that there are four prime numbers between 10 and 20"? I certainly can't. Most people would think that someone would have to be ignorant or insane to assert that.

Most people would think that someone who assumes the earth is not the center of the universe would have to be ignorant or insane to assert that.
At least this is the kind of argument Galileo Galilei was confronted with when he was taken to the trial.
Do you really not see the mistake you make?
It's totally ok to say you have a preassumption that your deduction is based upon.
This will make your deduction true for all cases in which your preassumption is true.
But you can not use this deduction as a proof for your preassumption to be true.
That's circular reasoning.

salima;83668 wrote:

then what is logic? is it another formal system? other formal systems are subject to logic? has the human mind designed logic or is it inherent in the working of the mind? isnt it in fact a faculty of the mind?

The question what is logic, definitely takes us deep into the rabbit hole.
What i can already say is: No, logic is not another formal system.
Logic deals with formal systems. Predicate logic tries to express the rules of logic in formal systems.
Logic is about the principles a system is based upon.
When we regard the universe as a system we observe the logic of everything, thus universal principles.
However we can also talk about the logic of something very particular.
Let's say a hand pulley block. To explain the principle a hand pulley block is based upon, you will have to describe it's logical structure.
Each system can have it's own logic.
Each different language for example is based on its own logic. Grammar is the formal system that describes it. Grammar however describes the logic of this particular artificial system, valid only for this particular language.
As another example, for playing a game like chess, you will have to learn the rules (principles). Normally after playing a few games a player will recognize the immanent logic of the game from observing how the rules and elements are intertwined in action.
So every system can have its own logic that may have nothing to do with predicate logic which tries to describe the universal principles applicable to all natural systems (and which is almost always referred to by the word logic).
In other words the logic of a system depends on how the system is arranged, how its constituents relate to each other and how the relations of the system's constituents affect the progression of the system's behaviour.

ACB

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:03 pm
@Theages,
Theages;84026 wrote:
The argument prompting this thread relies upon the statement "There are four prime numbers between 10 and 20." This is an existential claim. Someone suggested that this existential claim is as meaningless as a religious existential claim like "There are angels in heaven." I responded that the claim about numbers carries more weight and is not the same, but then someone else said that there might really be angels.

There are four prime numbers between 10 and 20; therefore prime numbers exist; therefore numbers exist. It is, however, reasonable to ask: "In what sense do they exist?" Maybe that would have been a better initial question.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:17 pm
@vectorcube,
Exebeche is correct - to ask 'what is logic' or 'what is number' are very difficult questions indeed. Philosophy of mathematics is very difficult subject and there is not even any consensus where to start. But what interests me, and something I think is important, is to acknowledge that the very basis of our rationality is so close at hand, and yet so elusive. I think it should give us a sense of humility, which is conspicuous by its absence in many moderns.

Theages

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:39 pm
@ACB,
Exebeche;84132 wrote:
Too bad, i was curious about a further explanation, but this is only an advertise for a book.
It doesn't explane what you mean.

I don't need to explain anything. I asked you to explain something, and the only attempt you made was to say something about logic that is completely inaccurate. I'm not "advertising" for that book, it's a standard in the field.

ACB;84143 wrote:
It is, however, reasonable to ask: "In what sense do they exist?" Maybe that would have been a better initial question.

I agree with you 100% here. However, it is not reasonable to say "Look, a circular argument, I'm so smart!" when the author explicitly anticipated that criticism and addressed it. If there were more reading comprehension ability and less arrogance around here, we could talk about your question.

Exebeche

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 03:59 pm
@Theages,
Theages;84162 wrote:
I don't need to explain anything. I asked you to explain something, and the only attempt you made was to say something about logic that is completely inaccurate. I'm not "advertising" for that book, it's a standard in the field.

I agree with you 100% here. However, it is not reasonable to say "Look, a circular argument, I'm so smart!" when the author explicitly anticipated that criticism and addressed it. If there were more reading comprehension ability and less arrogance around here, we could talk about your question.

Have you just seen the book or have you read it?
You talk about 'reading comprehension ability'.
If you had such you would have lead my critics into a contradiction long ago.
If this book is standard, it should be peanuts for you to explain why there is no circular reasoning.
I am still waiting for this explanation.
Your reproach of arrogance is really boring.
I think you have the book in your bookshelf, but you have never really understood it.

Theages

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:10 pm
@Exebeche,
Exebeche;84168 wrote:

If this book is standard, it should be peanuts for you to explain why there is no circular reasoning.

Perhaps you've forgotten why I recommended it. Here's what you said:

Quote:
No matter what kind of formal system you use, the same rules appear in all of the systems.

This is completely false. Completely false. That's why you should check out that book. You have a narrow view of what logic is and how it works. It's a broader field than you seem to think.

None of this has anything to do with your circularity objection, which both I and Peter Smith have already addressed.

Exebeche

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:39 pm
@Theages,
Theages;84169 wrote:
None of this has anything to do with your circularity objection, which both I and Peter Smith have already addressed.

Where was that post of your friend Peter Smith that i missed?

Theages

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 04:48 pm
@vectorcube,
Uh, the OP? I don't know why you're asking, you mentioned him by name earlier.

Exebeche

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 05:38 pm
@Theages,
Theages;84169 wrote:

Oh, i thought you and your friend Peter Smith had already adressed it.

---------- Post added 08-19-2009 at 02:02 AM ----------

Exebeche;84168 wrote:
Have you just seen the book or have you read it?
You talk about 'reading comprehension ability'.
If you had such you would have lead my critics into a contradiction long ago.
I am still waiting for this explanation.
Your reproach of arrogance is really boring.
I think you have the book in your bookshelf, but you have never really understood it.

Oh by the way..
Since you still couldn't provide any answer i guess i was wrong.
You don't have it in your bookshelf.
You haven't even read a single page of it.

Theages

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 10:35 pm
@Exebeche,
Well, enjoy being wrong about the nature of logic. Apparently there's nothing I can do to fix that.

Kielicious

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:00 pm
@Theages,
Theages;84260 wrote:
Well, enjoy being wrong about the nature of logic. Apparently there's nothing I can do to fix that.

You didnt answer his question. You said he was wrong, he asked why, and you linksling a book that he cant even access to read himself. If you understand why he is wrong then you should be able to present an argument in your own words.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/17/2024 at 08:59:09