What's the difference between causation and correlation?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 12:29 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;69815 wrote:
The price of tea in China continues to cause my bike to rust.
Exposure to the elements continues to cause my bike to rust.

All the members in my household wake up around the same time.
By waking up, I cause everyone else in my household to wake up at around the same time.

What has any of this to do with it?

Neil D

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 01:11 pm
@kennethamy,
I read a little about this outside of the forum yesterday. It seems this has been an ongoing issue for some time now. With no definite solution.

In summary, from what i read, It seems there are no true causes, only strong and weak correlations.

I Thought about this yesterday, when i was grilling...a bumblebee got a little too close and I gave it a swift backhand, and it bounced off my house...it was pretty much deadish after that. I thought, is there any kind of correlation here, or were my actions a definite cause of this pulverized Bee laying on the ground.

Maybe one day i will look at this differently, but if this is not a case for cause then maybe what i read is right, there is no cause.

This seems like a bunch of semantic jibberish, but I am not alone because it seems nobody here has a grip on it either...although some maybe understand it better than I. I apologize for any ignorance on my part.

Zetetic11235

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 01:35 pm
@Neil D,
Neil,

The idea is this: An event happens right after some other event, for example: The bumble bee bounced off your hand after your hand hit it. Now as far as practicality goes, your hand hitting the bee caused the bee to go in the direction that your hand was going in due to transference of force. In reality, all we have is a description of the events that occurred.

Causation means that we can eliminate the possibility that the separate events could stand without the others or that some other event could proceed the given event(other possible causes), that is; maybe the bee could fly into the wall without the transference of force, maybe it could happen without any other variables present. Maybe an undetected force from the sun made the bee hit the wall.

The deeper point is that all we know is that certain events coincide, and that is all we know. To say that it is necessarily so is inductive, that is; its based only on the idea that because it happened every time before now, it will happen again. This holds no water, there is no reason to believe that it will happen again, that the bee won't just stand still(or even better, just pass through your hand), beyond past experience. This is a far cry from logical necessity.

Because of this, I contend that it is correct to view correlational patterns(as science does) without the tellic fallacy(the assumption that there is some logical necessity that makes us certain that an event must happen in a given way due to certain events).

Satan phil

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 02:12 pm
@Satan phil,
Also, we should keep in mind the anthropic principle and remember that our biology depends on certain strong correlations or as Hume called them, "regularities of nature". Without these regularities that we experience, we would not experience anything at all. So, we should not be surprised that we do, in fact, experience them.

Aedes

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 02:44 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;69735 wrote:
Is it fair to say that the light switch SWITCHES the light between on and off? You SEE the light switch SWITCHING. Agree or disagree?

On a side note, you test the difference by controlling the variables.
And if you have built the system you have designed the causal relationship. But of course a true curmudgeon could claim that this isn't even proof enough, because the underlying principles of electrical potential and current must be explained and this infinitely regresses to ultimate causality. And a different curmudgeon could argue that all you've proved is the reliability of this correlation of circumstances. For instance, it's remarkable that a change in the light's state is always preceded by a change in the switch's position -- though it may be that it's the light that's responsible and it's retroactively changing the position of the switch.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 03:10 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;69926 wrote:
And if you have built the system you have designed the causal relationship. But of course a true curmudgeon could claim that this isn't even proof enough, because the underlying principles of electrical potential and current must be explained and this infinitely regresses to ultimate causality. And a different curmudgeon could argue that all you've proved is the reliability of this correlation of circumstances. For instance, it's remarkable that a change in the light's state is always preceded by a change in the switch's position -- though it may be that it's the light that's responsible and it's retroactively changing the position of the switch.

I don't know whether they are curmudgeons, but I would call them both unreasonable, although perhaps the first more than the second. The fact that someone can claim this or that does not make what is claimed reasonable. What would be the argument, for instance, for the claim that unless everything is explained, nothing is explained, which is what the first is saying?

Zetetic11235

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 03:32 pm
@kennethamy,
Ken has a point. If X causes Y and somehow we know that, it doesn't matter what causes X, insofar as we are looking for what directly causes Y. The problem lies more in direct cause, as if you cannot show a causal relationship between two events, then how would the infinite regression of causality even come into play?

kennethamy

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:58 pm
@Neil D,
Neil;69915 wrote:
I read a little about this outside of the forum yesterday. It seems this has been an ongoing issue for some time now. With no definite solution.

In summary, from what i read, It seems there are no true causes, only strong and weak correlations.

You mean that even when we find out why the correlations are what they are, we have only correlations? For instance, a get an axe, and I chop off your foot. So there is a correlation between your foot coming off and my chopping it off with an axe. But we do not understand why, when we chop your foot, the foot comes off, because it is only a correlation. Is that right? Just checking.

Neil D

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 07:37 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;69723 wrote:
We know that those attributes are present together, claiming that molecular structure is what causes hardness is not a necessary claim. It suffices to say that molecular density ect. is always present with hardness so that if one is present, it is in general safe to assume the other.

I can't claim that nothing causes the rock to be hard nor can I claim that I know precisely what does at a totally fundamental level, I can only observe the relational patterns that occur and draw practical conclusions/predictions.

If this is causation:"that X is always present with Y and nothing else is necessarily present(and X is more fundamental than Y) means that X causes Y", then I agree that it is fine to say that the molecular structure of the rock causes it to be hard.

However, this does presuppose that there is no presently undetected Z(or ignores the possibility until the Z is detected and explored). That is fine, as it is more practical and sensible to only take into account what is known, however; it is important to keep the possibility of Z in the back of our minds, recognizing that causality is not an absolute known.

Aedes

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:03 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;69939 wrote:
Ken has a point. If X causes Y and somehow we know that, it doesn't matter what causes X, insofar as we are looking for what directly causes Y.
That's exactly right. This is the perennial error of philosophical types who think that science is meaningless without knowing the ultimate cause, like God or something.

If I prove that marble is metamorphosized limestone, the scientific demonstration of this point stands on its own whether or not I know the nature of limestone, the nature of its cause, etc all the way back to the first cause.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 PM ----------

Neil;69987 wrote:
But on the other hand, we know that limestone (and marble) are made out of calcium carbonate molecules, and to divide these molecules any further (i.e. into atoms or subatomic particles) means that you've 100% lost their specificity for limestone. For a rock made from a pure chemical, be it carbon for diamonds, calcium carbonate for limestone, silica for sandstone, whatever, the molecule is the final point of division that still has the properties of the object being studied.

ACB

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:35 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;69919 wrote:
Causation means that we can eliminate the possibility that the separate events could stand without the others or that some other event could proceed the given event(other possible causes).

But surely it is a fallacy to say "We cannot prove that X causes Y, therefore X does not cause Y". Or "We cannot prove that causation exists, therefore causation does not exist".

And if induction is philosophically unsound, I want to know why it usually works.

Neil D

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:26 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;69992 wrote:

But on the other hand, we know that limestone (and marble) are made out of calcium carbonate molecules, and to divide these molecules any further (i.e. into atoms or subatomic particles) means that you've 100% lost their specificity for limestone. For a rock made from a pure chemical, be it carbon for diamonds, calcium carbonate for limestone, silica for sandstone, whatever, the molecule is the final point of division that still has the properties of the object being studied.

Well, then doesnt it follow that if the unknown variable is not required in defining a rock, and that it is solely the molecules that define the properties of a rock, and since hardness is a property. The molecules are in fact what causes a rock to be hard.

Does this not establish a true cause?

Aedes

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:30 pm
@Neil D,
Neil;70008 wrote:
Well, then doesnt it follow that if the unknown variable is not required in defining a rock, and that it is solely the molecules that define the properties of a rock, and since hardness is a property. The molecules are in fact what causes a rock to be hard.

Does this not establish a true cause?
Not if one asks the question why do these molecules cause the rock to be hard? You have to make your resolution even lower (i.e. more macroscopic) to address that question.

For example, elemental carbon occurs in two forms -- graphite and diamond. One is soft and opaque, and the other is extremely hard and transparent. So it's not simply the properties of elemental carbon alone, but rather the different ways in which they can be bound together. This is also true of liquid, solid, and gaseous H2O, in which it's not just the nature of this molecule alone that can provide the answer.

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:01 am
@kennethamy,
While we're talking about curmudgeons, one might say that causality or correlation can apply only to unique sets of phenomena, as no phenomena ever truly recur; i.e. a 'thing' is defined in terms of its environment, the environment really is the world, the entire world is never the same (not yet anyway, we'll put aside the idea of infinite contraction-expansion, eternal recurrence, etc.), never recurs, and so a thing only ever exists in a single, unique moment. When we say that some thing, such a rock in a field, existed for some period of time, we are either gradually changing a precise definition so that it matches the object it defines, or using a definition that is not so precise as to account for the changes in the thing during that period. All definitions are imprecise to some extent, because everything could have an infinitely complex definition, due to having an infinite number of relations to other things and an infinite number of qualities.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:08 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;70032 wrote:
While we're talking about curmudgeons, one might say that causality or correlation can apply only to unique sets of phenomena, as no phenomena ever truly recur;

If you mean that the numerically same (identical) phenomenon cannot reoccur, then, of course, for what is different cannot be exactly the same. But, that is just true by definition. Nothing to write home about. "The same" does not mean "identical". But why would anyone think that it does?

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 AM ----------

Aedes;70009 wrote:
Not if one asks the question why do these molecules cause the rock to be hard? You have to make your resolution even lower (i.e. more macroscopic) to address that question.

For example, elemental carbon occurs in two forms -- graphite and diamond. One is soft and opaque, and the other is extremely hard and transparent. So it's not simply the properties of elemental carbon alone, but rather the different ways in which they can be bound together. This is also true of liquid, solid, and gaseous H2O, in which it's not just the nature of this molecule alone that can provide the answer.

But you agree that there is a cause, or explanation of the phenomenon, and that is what is at issue. Isn't that true? It isn't an accident that the rock is hard.

Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 01:56 am
@ACB,
ACB;69997 wrote:
But surely it is a fallacy to say "We cannot prove that X causes Y, therefore X does not cause Y". Or "We cannot prove that causation exists, therefore causation does not exist".

Sure it is, thats why I never said anything like that. You seem to be having trouble sorting out what I am saying.

I'm saying that causation is not possible to establish or verify to a 100% logical certainty(which in no way means that it doesn't exist), but rather, it doesn't matter. We can only establish strong correlation unless we are speaking about a tautology or logical necessity.

ACB;69997 wrote:
And if induction is philosophically unsound, I want to know why it usually works.

I don't know, no one can answer that. Why is anything the way it is? We can't answer Why, we have enough trouble with How and What. If you want to know what the problem is with induction, here it is: There is no logical reason to think that something that happened before will happen again (because its a logical possibility, but not a logical necessity), only a practical one.

Ken,
The problem with your take is that you are answering a non-practical concern, the metaphysical problem of causality, with a practical leap used in scientific practice. The correct method when dealing with the metaphysical problem is to recognize that it is possibly inconsequential. Now the question boils down to whether this is or is not the case. If it is the case that it is consequential, it would seem more reasonable to consider only the more logically sound idea of strong correlation; if it is not, then the argument is pointless.

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 05:56 am
@Zetetic11235,
"There is no logical reason to think that something that happened before will happen again (because its a logical possibility, but not a logical necessity), only a practical one."

Why do you think that?

Let us take an example. That the sun has come up every day for as long as you can remember. That, in fact, you believe it to have risen every day for a matter of billions of years. That is no logical reason to think it will happen again? Just exactly what kind of evidence about the sun do we have to have to logically think it will come up again tomorrow?

ACB

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:30 am
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;70038 wrote:
I'm saying that causation is not possible to establish or verify to a 100% logical certainty (which in no way means that it doesn't exist).

OK, I agree. But logical necessities are tautologies, and don't tell us anything about the world. The question should be: Does causation actually exist? Can it be established beyond reasonable doubt? Is it rational to believe in it?

Quote:
If you want to know what the problem is with induction, here it is: There is no logical reason to think that something that happened before will happen again (because its a logical possibility, but not a logical necessity), only a practical one.

But why is the lack of a logical reason a problem? Since the practical reason is extremely strong, it should weigh very heavily in favour of causation, for philosophers as well as scientists. "Can we know for certain that causation exists?" (answer: no) is an epistemological question. "Does causation in fact exist?" is a separate, metaphysical, question.

memester

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:15 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;69777 wrote:

E.g. John notices that whenever X happens, Y always follows. After years of study and consistent empiric observation, John concludes that X causes Y. However, a few decades later, John II discovers that in rare instances when C is nearby, X does not cause Y, and also that sometimes Y appears without X. New observations are made, new processes are discovered, and the objects involved are defined more specifically, and so the relationship between X and Y becomes a correlation. Because all phenomena are infinitely complex, we can with equal reason level the charge of post hoc propter hoc error against any causal relationship; i.e. any claim that X causes Y will eventually be invalidated by the discovery of new aspects to X or Y, which reveal that the relationship is not so simple, and that C or Q are in fact involved in a more complex causation: and so on ad infinitum.
this is what I got from reading Bertrand Russell's explanation too. We might think that acid rain causes fish to have difficulty, putting the blame on pH change, but then if we find later, that if the fishes' chloride channels ( I'm just making this up ) are not affected for some reason or other, then the pH change doesn't exert that effect any more. It's now to do with chloride channels, and pH change is just one of the changes that may indirectly "cause" the effect.

So we get "closer and closer" ( by our way of thinking) , in an never-ending approach to percieving reality. There never was a cause/effect relationship, but noticing that if the rain is acid, fish die...that's good enough for now Smile It's "the cause".

We might even try to be more specific, and say that atmospheric CO2 is "behind" the acid rain ( it makes carbonic acid ) and thus behind the fish death..but then again, CO2 might go back into the atmosphere, and then we think it was the sulphuric acid, not carbonic acid.
In this case, being less specific is actually being "less wrong".

To me it becomes a struggle to be less wrong, rather than a struggle to be closer to the truth

Zetetic11235

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 11:26 am
@ACB,
ACB;70082 wrote:
OK, I agree. But logical necessities are tautologies, and don't tell us anything about the world.

Mathematical theories are tautologies that arise out of certain axioms. Strangely, I do not know if the Goldbach conjecture is true, but if it is shown to be tautological( a logical consequence of the axioms of number theory), then I have gained knowledge.

ACB;70082 wrote:
But why is the lack of a logical reason a problem? Since the practical reason is extremely strong, it should weigh very heavily in favour of causation, for philosophers as well as scientists. "Can we know for certain that causation exists?" (answer: no) is an epistemological question. "Does causation in fact exist?" is a separate, metaphysical, question.

If we can't know, wouldn't it be best to apply Occham's razor and disregard the idea? The question is whether the causal line of thinking is necessary or if we can just speak of patterns of correlation.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:46:09