What's the difference between causation and correlation?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

ACB

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:15 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;74185 wrote:
I'm not quite sure what we're trying to get at here. How are we to claim that constituent particles do not logically follow from anything? Are we speaking of a certain constituent particle, or only of the constituent particles we're now aware of? Later on, we could find that the constituent particles we're now aware of could logically follow from other things (perhaps other particles), couldn't we?

But most importantly, I don't understand our topic of discussion - could you please clarify?

What I meant was that the regularities of the consituent particles do not logically follow from anything. The argument is set out in detail in the last paragraph of post #328.

The point of this is as follows. It had been argued in this thread that there is no need to invoke causation, because even strong correlations can be regarded as purely chance (random) events. I, together with Ultracrepidarian (see e.g. posts #201 and 205), found this highly implausible, because of the vast number of regularities in the universe that would have to be accounted for by pure chance. There was also the problem that the pragmatic belief in the future validity of induction could not be justified.

Now, if (as Zetetic11235 claims) only the regularities of fundamental particles have to be accounted for by chance, and everything else follows logically from there, the role of "luck" is considerably reduced, since the number of different types of fundamental particles is presumably very small compared to all the different types of objects and events in the universe. So, although the problem of induction remains, it is considerably restricted.

I just wanted to know if anyone (after carefully reading the relevant posts) had any counter-arguments.

Satan phil

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 11:16 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74263 wrote:
So taking a cue from that, "possibility" would be just logical possibility. But "real possibility" would be physical possibility.

We know some things are logically impossible i.e. contradictions but what things are physically impossible? How do you tell the difference between something that never happens and something that is physically impossible? How do you even know there is a difference?

If we limit ourselves to observation and don't simply go based on gut feelings then we should admit that it's impossible to observe that something is impossible. That's because impossible things also look exactly like things that simply never happen.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

ACB;74274 wrote:
WI, together with Ultracrepidarian (see e.g. posts #201 and 205), found this highly implausible, because of the vast number of regularities in the universe that would have to be accounted for by pure chance. There was also the problem that the pragmatic belief in the future validity of induction could not be justified.

I've already countered this successfully so I'm not sure why it's still being discussed.

You cannot establish that something is physically implausible a priori. You can only say "based on what I've observed so far, I predict that I will observe/not observe X". Please go back to my examples with the coin tosses. There's absolutely no rational reason to eschew "chance" as implausible. Every electron in the universe has the exact same charge, that would be one of those fundamental regularities and that's an extremely large coincidence.

There is no detectable difference between things that happen contingently (pure chance) or things that happen necessarily.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 11:59 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;74360 wrote:
We know some things are logically impossible i.e. contradictions but what things are physically impossible? How do you tell the difference between something that never happens and something that is physically impossible? How do you even know there is a difference?

If we limit ourselves to observation and don't simply go based on gut feelings then we should admit that it's impossible to observe that something is impossible. That's because impossible things also look exactly like things that simply never happen.

---------- Post added at 12:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

I've already countered this successfully so I'm not sure why it's still being discussed.

You cannot establish that something is physically implausible a priori. You can only say "based on what I've observed so far, I predict that I will observe/not observe X". Please go back to my examples with the coin tosses. There's absolutely no rational reason to eschew "chance" as implausible. Every electron in the universe has the exact same charge, that would be one of those fundamental regularities and that's an extremely large coincidence.

There is no detectable difference between things that happen contingently (pure chance) or things that happen necessarily.

I know that some events that never happen are inconsistent with natural law, and, therefore, can't happen. I have never observed a virgin birth, but I know that virgins cannot conceive, and that it is infinitely more probable that if someone believed he observed a virgin birth, that he was deceived, than that the laws of nature had been violated. The wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. Who said such a wise thing? Why, it was David Hume!

ACB

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:46 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;74360 wrote:
You can only say "based on what I've observed so far, I predict that I will observe/not observe X".

But how are past observations relevant in predicting the future? If everything is (or might be) due to chance, there is absolutely no reason to suppose that what has "worked" up to now will continue to do so.

Quote:
Every electron in the universe has the exact same charge, that would be one of those fundamental regularities and that's an extremely large coincidence.

How do you know that every electron has the same charge, when only a tiny proportion of them have been observed? What justifies such a generalisation, if there is no logical necessity for it? If someone tossed a coin 1,000 times, and you knew only that (a) the tosses were fair, and (b) the first 100 had all come up heads, would you assume that the other 900 had also come up heads? That is the analogy.

Satan phil

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 05:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74363 wrote:
I know that some events that never happen are inconsistent with natural law, and, therefore, can't happen.

How do you know this? Why do you refuse to explain yourself? If you're going to just keep stating your convictions without any kind of defense of them then we aren't going to make much headway.

---------- Post added 07-02-2009 at 07:19 PM ----------

ACB;74405 wrote:
But how are past observations relevant in predicting the future? If everything is (or might be) due to chance, there is absolutely no reason to suppose that what has "worked" up to now will continue to do so.

We've already covered this. There's no rational reason to believe that. I was simply stating that even under the irrational assumption that the future will resemble the past, we can't claim that somethings are impossible. Just because somethings never happen doesn't mean they can't happen. Sure, we have never seen a block of ice turn into a giraffe and may never see that but that doesn't give us justification for saying that such things can't happen. How could it?

ACB;74405 wrote:
How do you know that every electron has the same charge, when only a tiny proportion of them have been observed? What justifies such a generalisation, if there is no logical necessity for it? If someone tossed a coin 1,000 times, and you knew only that (a) the tosses were fair, and (b) the first 100 had all come up heads, would you assume that the other 900 had also come up heads? That is the analogy.

All electrons, that we've observed, have the exact same charge. That's still an extremely large coincidence. I thought the part in bold was implied but I will be more explicit in the future.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:31 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;74409 wrote:
How do you know this? Why do you refuse to explain yourself? If you're going to just keep stating your convictions without any kind of defense of them then we aren't going to make much headway.

---------- Post added 07-02-2009 at 07:19 PM ----------

We've already covered this. There's no rational reason to believe that. I was simply stating that even under the irrational assumption that the future will resemble the past, we can't claim that somethings are impossible. Just because somethings never happen doesn't mean they can't happen. Sure, we have never seen a block of ice turn into a giraffe and may never see that but that doesn't give us justification for saying that such things can't happen. How could it?

All electrons, that we've observed, have the exact same charge. That's still an extremely large coincidence. I thought the part in bold was implied but I will be more explicit in the future.

Why do you think it is a coincidence? A coincidence as contrasted with what? The notion of coincidence has meaning only in contrast with what is not a coincidence. Just as the notion of counterfeit money has meaning only in contrast with non-counterfeit, or genuine money. How could all money be counterfeit? How could all events be coincidences?

Just imagine someone saying, "I lopped off his head, and, what do you know, he died! What a coincidence!" That would be taken as a gruesome joke; not a philosophical remark.

Hume told us that causes are not necessary connections. And that is right. His negative thesis was true. But then he (and you) go overboard and deny that there is any connection between cause and effect. That is his positive thesis, along with all that associationist stuff to explain (causally, mind you?) why we only think there is a connection.

ACB

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:25 pm
@kennethamy,
Satan - Can you please clarify your views about prediction. If there is no way of distinguishing likely from unlikely future events (as that would require induction), is it insane to predict anything?

Satan phil

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 11:18 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74627 wrote:
How could all money be counterfeit? How could all events be coincidences?

How could all humans be mortal?

kennethamy;74627 wrote:
But then he (and you) go overboard and deny that there is any connection between cause and effect.

I deny that there is any evidence of physical necessity. Do you have some? No, you don't.

---------- Post added 07-04-2009 at 12:20 AM ----------

ACB;74658 wrote:
Satan - Can you please clarify your views about prediction. If there is no way of distinguishing likely from unlikely future events (as that would require induction), is it insane to predict anything?

Insane? As in psychopathic? No, just not based on rationality but rather convention.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 11:57 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;74709 wrote:
How could all humans be mortal?

I deny that there is any evidence of physical necessity. Do you have some? No, you don't.

---------- Post added 07-04-2009 at 12:20 AM ----------

Insane? As in psychopathic? No, just not based on rationality but rather convention.

All humans are mortal, but we know what it would be like for there to be an immortal human being. Could you tell me that it would be like for there to be what you deny there is, namely causal connection. What is it that there is not?

Do I have evidence of physical necessity? Yes, I do. When an event is subsumed under a law of nature, that is evidence of physical necessity. If I know, for instance, that if the pencil I now hold in my hand, were an electron (which it is not) then it would be charged, I know that the correlation between being an electron and being charged, is not just a coincidence, but a physical necessity. On the other hand, although it happens that all the coins in my pocket are pennies, I also know that if this coin on the table, which is a nickle, were in my pocket, it would not be a penny. It would still be a nickle. Therefore, it is only a coincidence that all the coins in my pocket are pennies, and there is only a correlation, and not a causal connection, between a coin being in my pocket, and being a penny.

nameless

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:04 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;68880 wrote:
What's the difference between causation and correlation?

'Causality' is thought interpreting the direct perception of (a linearly, sequentially perceived) 'correlation/context'/pattern...!

Satan phil

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:09 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74715 wrote:
What is it that there is not?

kennethamy;74715 wrote:
Do I have evidence of physical necessity?

Clearly, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

kennethamy;74715 wrote:
When an event is subsumed under a law of nature, that is evidence of physical necessity.

No it's not. Why would it be?

parker pyne

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:10 am
@Satan phil,
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/correlation.png

I couldn't resist!

kennethamy

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 07:31 am
@Satan phil,
Satan;74717 wrote:
Clearly, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

No it's not. Why would it be?

No, I really do not know what you are talking about. You deny there is physical necessity, but the only kind of necessity you seem to recognize is logical necessity. So, what is it you are denying exists? If I refuse to carry any coins in my pocket except pennies, then if all the coins in my pocket are pennies, there is an explanation for why that is so. But if it just turns out that all the coins in my pocket are pennies, then that there is a correlation between a coin being in my pocket, and its being a penny, is accidental. In the first case, we know why all the coins in my pocket are pennies; in the second we do not. But you don't recognize this distinction. So, is there any difference between the two cases as far as you are concerned?

Satan phil

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 09:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74757 wrote:
You deny there is physical necessity, but the only kind of necessity you seem to recognize is logical necessity. So, what is it you are denying exists?

How can you be serious? You tell me what I'm denying and then immediately ask me what I'm denying. :perplexed:

ACB

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 02:54 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74757 wrote:
No, I really do not know what you are talking about. You deny there is physical necessity, but the only kind of necessity you seem to recognize is logical necessity. So, what is it you are denying exists?

Certainty, I suppose. He is equating physical necessity with certainty.

Quote:
If I refuse to carry any coins in my pocket except pennies, then if all the coins in my pocket are pennies, there is an explanation for why that is so. But if it just turns out that all the coins in my pocket are pennies, then that there is a correlation between a coin being in my pocket, and its being a penny, is accidental. In the first case, we know why all the coins in my pocket are pennies; in the second we do not. But you don't recognize this distinction. So, is there any difference between the two cases as far as you are concerned?

Someone who denies causation could distinguish between the two cases by calling the first a strong correlation and the second a weak correlation. I myself think there is a significant difference between them, as I am interested in probability - a vital concept in both science and everyday life. Satan prefers to concentrate on possibility (either a thing can conceivably happen or it cannot).

If you believe in physical necessity, there must be a grey area at the scale where classical laws mostly hold sway but are subject to occasional disruption by quantum effects.

Satan phil

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:11 pm
@ACB,
ACB;74813 wrote:
Certainty, I suppose. He is equating physical necessity with certainty.

Thank you but I can speak for myself. I'm waiting for him to ask an intelligible question before I venture any further. He already knows what I'm denying, physical necessity. He already knows what physical necessity is since he's claiming it does exist and I've defined it myself as well.

Satan wrote:
A relationship between two events whereby the second event occurs as a necessary consequence of the first event

kennethamy

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:09 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;74823 wrote:
Thank you but I can speak for myself. I'm waiting for him to ask an intelligible question before I venture any further. He already knows what I'm denying, physical necessity. He already knows what physical necessity is since he's claiming it does exist and I've defined it myself as well.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you mean by, "necessary consequence", since all you recognize is logical necessity. And I certainly do not mean that by "hysical necessity". So you are wrong to think I know what you are denying exists.

Satan phil

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74846 wrote:
Unfortunately, I have no idea what you mean by, "necessary consequence", since all you recognize is logical necessity.

What does it matter what I "recognize"?

You've asserted that physical necessity exists. I claim it does not. The end.

Don't suddenly feign ignorance over the topic.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 07:11 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;74849 wrote:
What does it matter what I "recognize"?

You've asserted that physical necessity exists. I claim it does not. The end.

Don't suddenly feign ignorance over the topic.

I am not feigning ignorance. Why do you deny there is a difference between my "penny" examples? In one we know why all the coins in my pocket are pennies. In the second there is no cause. It is just coincidence. There is a difference, how do you explain the difference. Do we not know the cause in both?

Satan phil

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:08 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74859 wrote:
I am not feigning ignorance. Why do you deny there is a difference between my "penny" examples? In one we know why all the coins in my pocket are pennies. In the second there is no cause. It is just coincidence. There is a difference, how do you explain the difference. Do we not know the cause in both?

What does that have to do with physical necessity? How does that explain why you should have pennies instead of diamonds? All we know is that we have never seen such things happen.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:40:14