What's the difference between causation and correlation?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:36 pm
@ACB,
ACB;73031 wrote:
Not all customs involve sound judgment. Many conventions of personal or social behaviour are due to mere force of habit or the desire to conform with other people. Some customs may be useless, or positively harmful. So why is it sound judgment to believe in induction? What factor makes it so? Can you elaborate, please.

Because that is an example of what sound judgment is. What would the words, "sound judgment" refer to if not to that kind of thing? It is like asking why green is the color of grass in the summertime. The answer is because that is what that color is called in English.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:45 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan wrote:
Sour grapes. You're agreeing with me but then at the same time saying so what?

Agreed, so what? But that doesn't make me wrong. Does it?

Why are you so caught up with being "wrong"?

And, if it's a "so what" question, why did you bother arguing the distinction in the first place? You seemed adamant about all of this a few pages ago...

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:46 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;73089 wrote:
What would the words, "sound judgment" refer to if not to that kind of thing?

That's an argument from ignorance. You should avoid asking questions that go along the lines of "if I'm not right then why?" and expecting that your being right is taken as the default until proven otherwise. Incredulity is not a substitute for an argument.

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:48 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;73082 wrote:
Sour grapes. You're agreeing with me but then at the same time saying so what?
It's easy to skeptically smash any domain of knowledge for not having access to the absolute.

But no one cares about the absolute.

So tell me why I as a real person living in the real world should care about the contention that I can't predict tomorrow based on today, when for practical purposes it gets me by just fine.

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:52 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;73091 wrote:
Why are you so caught up with being "wrong"?

And, if it's a "so what" question, why did you bother arguing the distinction in the first place? You seemed adamant about all of this a few pages ago...

Are you interested in the current topic or are you in interested in my personal motivations... Very well, since the topic has now turned to discussing me personally, I guess I should defend myself.

I value the truth. If I'm wrong, I want to know so I can learn. Besides, most philosophy questions are "so what" questions. I do think they're important in some respects but I'm not about to sit here and try to convince others they should think the same way. Obviously, understanding the fine distinction between different theories of causation isn't required to get out of bed and put food in your stomach. If that's your attitude then why are you on these forums in the first place?

Another question is, if my claim is suddenly so obvious and unimportant, why did it take dozens of pages to acknowledge that? It wasn't so unimportant when people were making post after post after post. In all, it seems kind of cheap to switch the topic from "are you right or wrong" to "who cares if you are right or wrong".

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Aedes;73093 wrote:
It's easy to skeptically smash any domain of knowledge for not having access to the absolute.

But no one cares about the absolute.

So tell me why I as a real person living in the real world should care about the contention that I can't predict tomorrow based on today, when for practical purposes it gets me by just fine.

Why should I care if you care? If you don't care then stop derailing the topic. If you don't care then go away. It's as simple as that.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:53 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;73092 wrote:
That's an argument from ignorance. You should avoid asking questions that go along the lines of "if I'm not right then why?" and expecting that your being right is taken as the default until proven otherwise. Incredulity is not a substitute for an argument.

Not at all. All I said is that what is referred to by "sound judgment" in English is exactly just that kind of thing about the brakes. If that kind of thing is not sound judgment, then nothing is sound judgment. Just as, if the color of grass in the summertime is not green, then nothing is green. And, of course, since something is green, it follows that the color of grass in the summertime is green. And, exactly in the same way, since that kind of thing with the brakes is not sound judgment, then nothing is sound judgment. But since something is sound judgment, that kind of thing with the brakes is sound judgment. Modus Tollens

By the way, there is nothing wrong with the question, "If I am not right, then why....?" For instance, "If I am not right about the witness lying, then why does he look so uncomfortable, and why is his manner so hesitant?" Or, "If I am not write about Joe being ignorant of logic, then why is it that Joe does not understand the difference between truth and validity?" All the question, "If I am not right about Q, then why is P true?" means is, "If P is true, then Q is true". Nothing to do with arguments from ignorance at all.

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:56 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;73098 wrote:
Not at all. All I said is that what is referred to by "sound judgment" in English is exactly just that kind of thing about the brakes. If that kind of thing is not sound judgment, then nothing is sound judgment.

That doesn't explain what distinguishes it as a sound judgement. All I see are a bunch of assertions with no argumentation.

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:59 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;73096 wrote:
I value the truth.
Wait -- I thought we couldn't predict anything? Shouldn't the truth remain true tomorrow?

Zetetic11235

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 12:59 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan, I have taken up a position on the issue you wanted to debate. You should critique my reply, as I think we still have some points of disagreement (no big surprise if we do, better philosophers than ourselves disagree on this as well).

The post is that big one on pg 26

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:02 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;73101 wrote:
Wait -- I thought we couldn't predict anything? Shouldn't the truth remain true tomorrow?

I have no idea what you're talking about. It seems you think this is the place for some kind of tit for tat bickering contest but as a moderator you should know better. Please don't reply to me with "zingers" devoid of philosophical content.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:06 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;73099 wrote:
That doesn't explain what distinguishes it as a sound judgement. All I see are a bunch of assertions with no argumentation.

If I say that green is the color of summergrass because that is the color we call "green" in English, then isn't that an argument? And if I say that sound judgment is the kind of thing we call hitting the brakes to make the car stop in English, so hitting the brakes to make the car stop is sound judgment, why isn't that an argument?

Zetherin

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:06 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan wrote:
Are you interested in the current topic or are you in interested in my personal motivations... Very well, since the topic has now turned to discussing me personally, I guess I should defend myself.

I'm interested in the reason you were contesting my brake example so adamantly. I'm not attacking you personally at all, I'm simply trying to understand your point. I'm trying to understanding why you had to note Hume and throw wikipedia pages at me telling me I'm committing a logical fallacy if you agree that inductive reasoning is useful, and as Aedes noted, even essential to most creatures!

Quote:
Another question is, if my claim is suddenly so obvious and unimportant, why did it take dozens of pages to acknowledge that? It wasn't so unimportant when people were making post after post after post. In all, it seems kind of cheap to switch the topic from "are you right or wrong" to "who cares if you are right or wrong".

I was trying to understand your reasoning for having contested my brake example. Your reasoning was what I found important and is why I kept posting. Not to mention, I didn't clearly understand your position at first (as noted about 2 pages ago). Theaetetus clarified, and now I understand the position completely. I just don't understand the reasoning for fighting for the distinction so adamantly. Ok, it's "non-rational"... where do we go from here?

You're not wrong, Satan, relax. It's not always about being wrong or right. We're just having a discussion, and I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:08 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;72953 wrote:
Satan; I don't know why you sent me that link, the Stanfordsite is generally MUCH better.

Not really. The other article was written by Norman Swartz and he's the most important person that's written on this topic. If you haven't defeated his arguments then you haven't defeated any arguments (AFAIC).

Zetetic11235;72953 wrote:
I think that is is necesarily true that science cannot ever be totaly complete, because it is adaptive.

I'm worried because you are talking about science. The laws of nature are not the laws of science. Even if the laws of science will always be incomplete and inaccurate, that doesn't matter with the discussion of natural laws. You haven't really said anything that hits on the topic.

The question we're asking is, are the laws of nature descriptive or prescriptive? Here's our two options:

1. Is it a law of nature that nothing can accelerate faster than light because nothing accelerates faster than light?

2. Does nothing accelerate faster than light because it is a law of nature that nothing can accelerate faster than light?

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Zetherin;73105 wrote:
I'm trying to understanding why you had to note Hume and throw wikipedia pages at me telling me I'm committing a logical fallacy if you agree that inductive reasoning is useful, and as Aedes noted, even essential to most creatures!

Because useful does not equal true. I also pointed out that it was unavoidable in practical life before Aedes joined the discussion.

Zetherin;73105 wrote:
You're not wrong, Satan, relax. It's not always about being wrong or right. We're just having a discussion, and I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

As I said, it matters to me. If I'm wrong, I demand to know so I can stop being wrong.

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:29 pm
@Satan phil,
It's not empty bickering. Just a page or two before you were assailing the rest of us with the impossibility of truth, at least as predicted by prior experience. And now you reveal that said truth is actually what you're after. Care to reconcile the two?

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 01:43 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;73114 wrote:
It's not empty bickering. Just a page or two before you were assailing the rest of us with the impossibility of truth, at least as predicted by prior experience. And now you reveal that said truth is actually what you're after. Care to reconcile the two?

As Vico puts it, "we know what we make". We make logical systems. We make truth. We don't make the universe.

Aedes

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 02:48 pm
@Satan phil,
A very good answer, and I agree.

I'd just submit that we approach truth through experience and observation. We can never say what WILL happen, but we can say what is likely.

bananabuddha

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:03 pm
@Aedes,
Causation and correlation are two completely different things. You can either mix them up or keep them separate. This computer is on right now because I pressed the "ON" button, but it is actually on right now because it is plugged in and the power supply is intact.

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:09 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;73131 wrote:
A very good answer, and I agree.

I'd just submit that we approach truth through experience and observation. We can never say what WILL happen, but we can say what is likely.

I'd qualify that by saying that we can predict which of two events is more likely given past observations along with certain pragmatic assumptions.

Zetherin

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:20 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;73136 wrote:
I'd qualify that by saying that we can predict which of two events is more likely given past observations along with certain pragmatic assumptions.

And your point initially was that, despite this, we can't say inductive reasoning is "true". Correct?

I hope you're now aware that how you just ended this was the extent of my position earlier, in a nutshell.

Satan phil

Reply Sun 28 Jun, 2009 03:35 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;73138 wrote:
And your point initially was that, despite this, we can't say inductive reasoning is "true". Correct?

Correct. It's a mistake to think inductive reasoning or by extension, science, deals with truth.

Quote:

Cause and Effect

Statistics allows you to verify an implication, A implies B, and this naturally leads to the prediction that if you draw more samples from the same distribution, you will continue to observe B or not A in future data.

A statement about causation makes a much bolder prediction. The statement X causes Y suggests that even if you intervene so as to change the distribution, you will observe either Y or not X in samples drawn from the new distribution.

"Even when you change something, you cannot remove the effect without removing the cause."

Like most other scientific hypotheses, such statements about causation cannot be proved, only disproved. If we strangle the rooster and the sun comes up anyway, we have disproved the hypothesis that rooster-crowing causes the dawn.

Zetherin;73138 wrote:
I hope you're now aware that how you just ended this was the extent of my position earlier, in a nutshell.

Well I'm glad we agree then.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 11:38:42