What's the difference between causation and correlation?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 05:59 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;72553 wrote:
"I doubt that 'trying and failing' will do the trick. After all, many times we try to do something, fail at it, and yet - for whatever reasons - do not conclude "I can't do it." (It happened to me recently. I was trying to install a new pump on a dishwasher and was having no success, indeed I was failing miserably. I stopped for a while, tried again, and succeeded.) I am absolutely convinced that there is no phenomenological, introspective, felt (call it what you will) difference whatsoever between failing to do something which is possible (e.g. installing a dishwasher pump) and failing to do something which necessitarians call 'nomically impossible', e.g. flapping my arms and flying.

What do I feel when I find that I repeatedly fail to do something? Disappointment, remorse, anger, sadness, annoyance, irritability, fury, etc. Do I experience (physical or nomological) impossibility? Not that I can tell. I would not know how to recognize it if I did. I can experience that I have not done what I wanted; that I have tried especially hard; etc. But I do not see that I have experienced that I cannot do it. I may say, "I can't do it." But I have not experienced anything more than failure." -Norman Swartz

What evidence do you have that we experience something more than failure?

You really think you don't know it is physically impossible for you (or any human) to jump 300 feet in the air? How about 1,000 feet? It is not, of course, only experiencing failure. It is what we know about human physiology, and the force of gravity, that supports our knowledge that we cannot jump that distance. It is the failure which indicates why it is physically impossible. Of course, trying and failing is a good way of confirming (if we need to do so) that we cannot do something, but it need not be how we know it.

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 06:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72568 wrote:
You really think you don't know it is physically impossible for you (or any human) to jump 300 feet in the air? How about 1,000 feet? It is not, of course, only experiencing failure. It is what we know about human physiology, and the force of gravity, that supports our knowledge that we cannot jump that distance.

I don't know that it's impossible. I only know that I've never seen it happen.

kennethamy;72568 wrote:
It is the failure which indicates why it is physically impossible

Presumably, you would claim we fail at things that aren't physically impossible. How do you tell the difference then?

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:42 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;72582 wrote:
I don't know that it's impossible. I only know that I've never seen it happen.

Presumably, you would claim we fail at things that aren't physically impossible. How do you tell the difference then?

You don't know enough about the human body to know it is impossible to jump 1,000 feet into the air? That is unbelievably sad. But, of course, I don't believe that.

Of course we fail to do things that are physically impossible to do. Difference between what and what? I wouldn't even bother to try to jump 1,000 feet into the air, since it would be crazy to try. What if you came across a man, and you were told he was trying to jump 1,000 feet into the air. You would think he was either kidding or crazy. Wouldn't you. You know it is (physically) impossible for a human being to do such a thing.

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:53 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72594 wrote:
You don't know enough about the human body to know it is impossible to jump 1,000 feet into the air? That is unbelievably sad.

The only thing that's sad is your lack of argument and the growing list of fallacies that you're engaging in. I suggest you read up on these topics and get back to me when you've got an argument instead of this "gosh golly gee" routine of incredulity.

I don't expect deep philosophical issues to be intuitive to your common sense view of the world nor care if they are.

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 07:55 pm
@kennethamy,
Well, I'm wrong? I'm convinced. Humor aside, I still don't understand and I still have hopes you'll help me understand. Why is it pragmatic or useful to apply pressure to the brake pedal if you believe that the outcome the event is random? I don't see how you can say, "pushing on the brake pedal before stopped my car therefore I think it will again", since it is that logic that is exactly what you arguing against.

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:10 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;72597 wrote:
Well, I'm wrong? I'm convinced.

I gave you as much argument as you gave me with your "I disagree" comment. You didn't explain why you disagree so I'm not going to bother explaining why you're wrong. *shrug*

Ultracrepidarian;72597 wrote:
I don't see how you can say, "pushing on the brake pedal before stopped my car therefore I think it will again", since it is that logic that is exactly what you arguing against.

Randomness doesn't mean that the next result will be different from the previous. That's a common misconception of people that haven't studied randomness.

I'm not arguing against regularities.

ACB

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:11 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;72553 wrote:
What evidence do you have that we experience something more than failure?

You may wish to install a dishwasher pump. You may also have a strong wish to fly by flapping your arms. Yet, whereas you might attempt several times to do the former, you would (I think) be unlikely to attempt the latter even once. Why?

Or you may be told (e.g. by your employer) to perform these two actions. As you repeatedly tried to do so, you would experience failure. But I am sure you would experience something more in the case of the flying attempt - a sense of futility, absurdity, and time-wasting. (I know I would.) That is a "phenomenological, introspective, felt" difference, isn't it?

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:13 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
"Presumably, you would claim we fail at things that aren't physically impossible. How do you tell the difference then?" - Satan

By learning the difference of course. Are you seriously asking how we have decided that jumping a 1000 feet straight up is impossible while fixing some instrument around the house only "feels impossible" i.e. frustrating? I know that this is what you are asking, but are you serious? The answer is by learning the difference. That is something which you are claiming is philosophically misguided because we can never know the difference because there is no such difference i.e. what was true yesterday might not be true today and every once in a while we should try jumping one thousand feet in the air, or turning to a frog by clapping our shoes together or making money grow on trees. Drinking a case of wine without becoming intoxicated etc etc

---------- Post added at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Satan;72599 wrote:
Randomness doesn't mean that the next result will be different from the previous. That's a common misconception of people that haven't studied randomness.

I'm not arguing against regularities.

Sigh. Random means you have no idea what pushing the brakes will accomplish. So while it might lead to a stopped car as it did yesterday, it might not. It might lead to any number of things. It is random.

So I ask again, why do you believe it will stop your car when it is random? Why believe the car will stop? It might accelerate. It might spontaneously combust. I don't see how you can say, "I believe it will stop because that is what it has been doing," when that is the logic that you arguing against.

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:22 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;72601 wrote:
"Presumably, you would claim we fail at things that aren't physically impossible. How do you tell the difference then?" - Satan

By learning the difference of course. Are you seriously asking how we have decided that jumping a 1000 feet straight up is impossible while fixing some instrument around the house only "feels impossible" i.e. frustrating? I know that this is what you are asking, but are you serious? The answer is by learning the difference. That is something which you are claiming is philosophically misguided because we can never know the difference because there is no such difference i.e. what was true yesterday might not be true today and every once in a while we should try jumping one thousand feet in the air, or turning to a frog by clapping our shoes together or making money grow on trees. Drinking a case of wine without becoming intoxicated etc etc

Just because it's useful to believe X doesn't mean that X is true.

Here's a test for you:

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/6290/whichoneisrandom.png

Here are two groups of 100 coin tosses. Let's see if you can tell me which of these was generated by a human and which was generated randomly by flipping a coin.

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:35 pm
@Satan phil,
I appended my previous post, do you see?

As for this "test" - One of the two is fictional, one is the factual recording of 100 flips. The factual record was made by a person, while the fictional one was made by a person who just marked the paper as he liked?

No, I can't tell the difference. I have one for you now. I have dealt out a sequence of playing cards. Can you describe to me the order in which they were dealt by suit? I'll get you started. It goes Spade, Diamond, Spade, Heart...This is more fun than talking.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

I'm holding a common household object in my hand. Anyone care to take a guess?

ACB

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:37 pm
@Satan phil,
I'd guess that A is the random one. B looks suspicious because there are no long runs of consecutive heads or tails.

But it's not all heads or tails in A, is it?

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:38 pm
@Ultracrepidarian,
Ultracrepidarian;72604 wrote:
I appended my previous post, do you see?

As for this "test" - One of the two is fictional, one is the factual recording of 100 flips. The factual record was made by a person, while the fictional one was made by a person who just marked the paper as he liked?

No, I can't tell the difference. I have one for you now. I have dealt out a sequence of playing cards. Can you describe to me the order in which they were dealt by suit? I'll get you started. It goes Spade, Diamond, Spade, Heart...This is more fun than talking.

It seems you aren't prepared to take this seriously so I won't bother wasting my time. If/when you are prepared to at least guess which is random and explain your reasoning behind your guess, we can continue.

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

ACB;72606 wrote:
I'd guess that A is the random one. B looks suspicious because there are no long runs of consecutive heads or tails.

But it's not all heads or tails in A, is it?

A is indeed the random one. It's also only 100 coin flips. Though if you notice even in 100 coin flips there was still a series of 7 heads in a row. If you blow up this 100 flips to a cosmic scale then you can imagine a million years going by with nothing but heads. For someone to experience that happening they would excitedly claim that it couldn't possibly be random. That's my point. Thanks for allowing me to make it.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:52 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;72596 wrote:
The only thing that's sad is your lack of argument and the growing list of fallacies that you're engaging in. I suggest you read up on these topics and get back to me when you've got an argument instead of this "gosh golly gee" routine of incredulity.

I don't expect deep philosophical issues to be intuitive to your common sense view of the world nor care if they are.

I suugest you ask a physiologist (if you dare) whether it is physiologically possible to leap 1,000 feet into the air, and see what he says.

"There is nothing that is not absurd that some philosopher has not said it". Cicero.

I don't know whether you are a philosopher, but you are certainly saying something absurd. If you really think that it is possible for a human being to leap 1,000 feet into the air, then what would you not think?

But, I expect that you simply refuse to distinguish between logically impossible, and physically impossible, since it would (you think) shatter some theory you have. Don't you really think there is a difference between logical impossibility and physical impossibility. Why? Do you really think that the only impossibility is logical impossibility? Actually, that is what the Rationalists like Spinoza held, and Hume attacked this view. He certainly did not believe it. In fact, he called it, Spinoza's "hideous hypothesis".

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 08:59 pm
@kennethamy,
I can't help it that I understand the difference between possibility and probability.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:09 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;72613 wrote:
I can't help it that I understand the difference between possibility and probability.

What has that to do with it? Some physical possibilities are probable, and some are improbable. But some logically possible physical events are just physically impossible, which means, as I already pointed out, that they are inconsistent with laws of nature. All improbable events are logically possible and physically possible. For all improbable events are consistent with laws of nature. And no impossible events are.

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:12 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;72618 wrote:
What has that to do with it? Some physical possibilities are probable, and some are improbable. But some logically possible physical events are just physically impossible, which means, as I already pointed out, that they are inconsistent with laws of nature. All improbable events are logically possible and physically possible. For all improbable events are consistent with laws of nature. And no impossible events are.

An event that has never happened before is rare, not impossible. There is no way to make the leap from rare to impossible by observation.

ACB

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:34 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;72607 wrote:
A is indeed the random one. It's also only 100 coin flips. Though if you notice even in 100 coin flips there was still a series of 7 heads in a row. If you blow up this 100 flips to a cosmic scale then you can imagine a million years going by with nothing but heads. For someone to experience that happening they would excitedly claim that it couldn't possibly be random. That's my point. Thanks for allowing me to make it.

But that argument gives you no grounds whatever for assuming that the future will resemble the past. Even if you happened to be living in that million-year period of heads, you could be just coming to the end of it. And why should you assume that you are living in that million-year period, rather than in the billions of years in which heads and tails are roughly 50-50? If you answer "Well, look at all those regularities", you are presupposing that there is no other explanation for those regularities. You are then using the "million years of heads" argument to conclude that there need be no other explanation. But you have presupposed that. So you are begging the question.

In other words, you seem to be saying:

(a) There is no evidence of causation; all events are random.
(b) I observe many regularities.
(c) Because of (a), these regularities must be due to chance.
(d) So I must be living in a period of lengthy chance regularities.
(e) This is a sufficient explanation for the observed regularities.
(f) There is therefore no reason to invoke causation.
(g) Therefore, there is no evidence of causation; all events are random.

Seems like a circular argument.

kennethamy

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:35 pm
@Satan phil,
Satan;72619 wrote:
An event that has never happened before is rare, not impossible. There is no way to make the leap from rare to impossible by observation.

Well it is by observation that we confirm physical laws, and if an event is inconsistent with physical laws then that event is physically impossible. So, we can know that an event is physically impossible by observation.

Ultracrepidarian

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 09:36 pm
@Satan phil,
"It seems you aren't prepared to take this seriously so I won't bother wasting my time. If/when you are prepared to at least guess which is random and explain your reasoning behind your guess, we can continue."

There you said it again. Random. What on Earth do you mean? One was made by recording the actual flips and another was what? - made by a person as he/she liked? A computer? A computer that decided what to record based on the flips of a coin?

Wait, I get it. Is this some kind of trick question?

Sigh. They are both random. I can not predict the result of a coin flip, nor can I tell the difference between the records of coin flips and a person filling out a record based on coin flips i.e. whim.

You want me to guess. I'm wasting your time. Au Contraire and other French expressions. Good Day, mate. As they say in Australia.

Satan phil

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2009 10:25 pm
@ACB,
ACB;72623 wrote:
In other words, you seem to be saying:

More like:

1. Regularities can exist even within randomness.
2. Regularities are not evidence of causation.
3. There is no evidence of causation.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:40:49