The classical question: What is?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 08:24 am
@Ichthus91,
To get back to the issue: if unicorns and mermaids do not exist, doesn't that show that it is not true that everything exists?

nameless

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 02:30 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;66184 wrote:
To get back to the issue: if unicorns and mermaids do not exist, doesn't that show that it is not true that everything exists?

While your statement is 'logically correct' (in and of itself, in isolation) if I accept your 'if', it demonstrates the severe limitations of logic based on unexamined and unsupported assumptions.
Nor do your 'discriminations' reach beyond a subset of the complete and UNREFUTED and UNREFUTABLE fact that everything exists in it's context. This has been repeated as nauseum and you refuse to understand the siple concept due, no doubt, to your 'belief' in your own 'subset', making that, for oyu, the 'complete set', which it is not. This isn't about 'beliefs' and ego, it is the most simple of logic. But, as we keep going round and round the same conversation, i'm just going to duck out. What is the point of my repeating myself if you refuse to understand the simple concept.
Get back to me if you ever find any 'refutation' to what I have offered as the complete set. I'd wager that it will never happen! And repeating your subset is no refutation to the complete set of 'everything exists in/as context'!
It gets so tiresome... 'mermaids' and 'unicorns' exist in sculpture, your imagination, your 'argument', literature, your thoughts, in song... They exist in all sorts of contexts.
That there are 'other' contexts in which they appear to not exist is trivial, irrelevent, as, ultimately, all context is one.
I can't make it simpler to understand or more clear than that.
Not everyone can digest the food for thought that I offer. That's fine, but constant repetition gets boring. So...
happy trails...

kennethamy

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:20 pm
@nameless,
nameless;66230 wrote:
While your statement is 'logically correct' (in and of itself, in isolation) if I accept your 'if', it demonstrates the severe limitations of logic based on unexamined and unsupported assumptions.
Nor do your 'discriminations' reach beyond a subset of the complete and UNREFUTED and UNREFUTABLE fact that everything exists in it's context. This has been repeated as nauseum and you refuse to understand the siple concept due, no doubt, to your 'belief' in your own 'subset', making that, for oyu, the 'complete set', which it is not. This isn't about 'beliefs' and ego, it is the most simple of logic. But, as we keep going round and round the same conversation, i'm just going to duck out. What is the point of my repeating myself if you refuse to understand the simple concept.
Get back to me if you ever find any 'refutation' to what I have offered as the complete set. I'd wager that it will never happen! And repeating your subset is no refutation to the complete set of 'everything exists in/as context'!
It gets so tiresome... 'mermaids' and 'unicorns' exist in sculpture, your imagination, your 'argument', literature, your thoughts, in song... They exist in all sorts of contexts.
That there are 'other' contexts in which they appear to not exist is trivial, irrelevent, as, ultimately, all context is one.
I can't make it simpler to understand or more clear than that.
Not everyone can digest the food for thought that I offer. That's fine, but constant repetition gets boring. So...
happy trails...

It is of course true that there are songs about mermaids, and sculptures of mermaids, and I can imagine mermaids, and I can argue about mermaids, and so on. But, of course that doesn't mean that there are any mermaids. Statues of mermaids are not mermaids, nor is what I imagine when I imagine mermaids itself a mermaid. There are no mermaids, but if there were, mermaids would be creatures with a woman's upper body, and the lower body of a fish. There are no such creatures, of course, but there are statues of such creatures, and painting of such creatures. But you don't really believe, do you, that the statue of a mermaid is a mermaid, or that the picture of a mermaid is a mermaid? Do you? Do you? Even my grandchildren can distinguish between pictures and statues of something, and that something. And they are quite young.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 09:02 pm
@Ichthus91,
Yes I agree. I think that the key thing in determining this question is distinguishing truth from falsehood, what really is from what we just think is, and so on. It is obvious that humans have an almost infinite capacity for self-deception and delusion, so this is not just a theoretical question.

Anyway, in response to the earlier question about "properties of X', I have read up on what the analytical philosopherssay on it but don't find it very illuminating. (Maybe I don't understand it.) But I proposed a different approach, which is that whatever exists is (1) composed of parts (2) begins and ends in time and (3) is distinguishable from other existing things. I am trying to think of any existing thing that does not satisfy these requirements. In other words, everything that exists is contingent.

Now you can say, well what about objects of the imagination? What about mathematical entities, such as number, or scientific laws? By this definition, these don't exist. To which I would say - quite so. They don't exist, yet they are real. Now this distinction was recognized, I think, in scholastic philosophy. And I think it tells us something about the nature of existence.

nameless

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 05:34 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;66259 wrote:
It is of course true that there are songs about mermaids, and sculptures of mermaids, and I can imagine mermaids, and I can argue about mermaids, and so on. But, of course that doesn't mean that there are any mermaids. Statues of mermaids are not mermaids, nor is what I imagine when I imagine mermaids itself a mermaid. There are no mermaids, but if there were, mermaids would be creatures with a woman's upper body, and the lower body of a fish. There are no such creatures, of course, but there are statues of such creatures, and painting of such creatures. But you don't really believe, do you, that the statue of a mermaid is a mermaid, or that the picture of a mermaid is a mermaid? Do you? Do you? Even my grandchildren can distinguish between pictures and statues of something, and that something. And they are quite young.

I'm sorry, but we're going around in circles.
It seems obvious that you do not, cannot, or will not understand the concept of 'context'.
If you did, you would understand the simple irrefutable 'truth' of what i'm saying, and this 'go-round' would be at an end.
I guess that I cannot help your understanding after all.
Perhaps there'll be an 'epiphany' sometime...
It really doesn't matter, anyway.
peace
nameless out

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 09:15 am
@nameless,
nameless;66333 wrote:
I'm sorry, but we're going around in circles.
It seems obvious that you do not, cannot, or will not understand the concept of 'context'.
If you did, you would understand the simple irrefutable 'truth' of what i'm saying, and this 'go-round' would be at an end.
I guess that I cannot help your understanding after all.
Perhaps there'll be an 'epiphany' sometime...
It really doesn't matter, anyway.
peace
nameless out

If someone made a sculpture of you, would that be you? Of course not. Whatever the context, the sculpture would not be you. Now, suppose you did not exist and never existed, but that someone imagined you, and made a sculpture of you. Would that sculpture be you?

Why should a representation of X not be the same as X when X itself exists. But a representation of X, be X, when X itself does not exist, or never existed.
Does that make sense?

If there were mermaids (suppose) then a statue of a mermaid would not be a mermaid. So, why if there are no mermaids, would a statue of a mermaid be a mermaid?

It makes no sense.

nameless

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 02:58 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
If there were mermaids (suppose) then a statue of a mermaid would not be a mermaid.

Yes it would, it would be a 'mermaid' of the 'statue' subset. The sum-total of all subsets comprise the complete set of 'mermaids (that) exist'.

Quote:
So, why if there are no mermaids, would a statue of a mermaid be a mermaid?

There exist 'humans'.
'Humans' are the 'complete set'.
'Black' humans and 'Chinese' humans and 'caucasion' humans, and 'whiney' humans, and 'intelligent' humans, etc... are all 'subsets' within the complete set of "there exist humans'.
The complete set contains all existing humans.
To make 'distinctions' (black, white, red...), such as by asserting that Chinese are not quite humans while only albinos are, are 'subsets' based on Perspectival 'thought'.
You seem to 'discriminate' between 'existing' in the context of 'thought', and 'existing' in some other context. Like making the 'distinction' of the 'substance' of dreams while 'sleeping' and the 'substance' of so-called 'waking reality'.
You make distinctions in the context; 'out there' vs 'in here'. That one context of existence is acceptable abd another context is not.
Such distinctions are 'subset' within the complete set of 'all context is Universe', is One.
There are many 'features' (us) of the One Context/Universe.
So, as I see it, everything 'is' that is perceived (there is not anything that exists that is not perceived!), whether hamburgers or whimsical thoughts or dreams or galaxies. All exist, all are as they are. No, a 'statue' of a 'mermaid' is not a (distinction time) living and swimming fleshly 'mermaid', but I never claimed such. The 'set' is that 'mermaids exist in context'. The 'context covers all of your possible distinctions, all subsets such as 'mermaid 'statue', mermaid poem, mermaid tattoo, etc... All would be 'subsets' of the complete set of all existing (contextual) 'mermaids'.
The 'context' of a 'flesh and blood mermaid' is in 'thoughts'

kennethamy;66363 wrote:
It makes no sense.

My friend, not everything makes sense to everyone, that is Perspective. Thats fine, though, as something that makes sense to you would be found to be meaningless to another.
All together we are the complete picture of the Universe, both sense and nonsense and...
Peace

jeeprs

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 04:55 pm
@Ichthus91,
It seems that Nameless' depiction of existence is not useful for discriminating between things that actually exist and things that are merely conjecture or speculation.

It is in a sense true that fictional characters (such as mermaids) 'exist' in a 'fictional realm' which you and I and other members of the culture will understand and can discuss. But surely they 'exist' in a separate way to actual existents? Surely the existence of mermaids is of a different nature to the existence of blue whales and white pointers? If you deny this there is no grounds to distinguish the real and the imaginary.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 05:32 pm
@nameless,
nameless;66438 wrote:
Yes it would, it would be a 'mermaid' of the 'statue' subset. The sum-total of all subsets comprise the complete set of 'mermaids (that) exist'.

A mermaid of the "statue subset" is, in plain English, a statue of a mermaid. There is a story about Abraham Lincoln, who once asked his son, Todd, the question, "If a dog's tail is called "a leg", then how many legs does a dog have. Todd promptly answered, "Five legs". But Lincoln replied, "Wrong. The dog has only four legs. Calling a dog's tail does not make it a leg". And, of course, the statue of a mermaid is not a mermaid. And calling it "a mermaid" or as you so, "a mermaid of the statue subset" does not make it a mermaid, either. It is still, just a mermaid statue. Whatever you call it.

nameless

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 07:42 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;66455 wrote:
A mermaid...

I don't know whether you are 'deliberately' refusing to understand what i am saying, or the concept is just so alien to you that there is no point of commonality upon which to craft an understanding.
If you ever actually achieve understanding, you needn't 'adopt' or 'believe' what you simply 'understand'.
It is said that "if you don't understand (and able to 'defend') at least three different interpretations/theories/Perspectives of your 'field', that you haven't any understanding worth mentioning".
You don't have to understand.
You don't have to 'believe'.
It's all been said, and I'm all out of words.
You've worn me out.
The seeds are planted and I'd love to be the fly on the wall when they sprout and bear fruit.
Peace
nameless out

kennethamy

Reply Thu 4 Jun, 2009 08:40 am
@nameless,
nameless;66464 wrote:
I don't know whether you are 'deliberately' refusing to understand what i am saying, or the concept is just so alien to you that there is no point of commonality upon which to craft an understanding.
If you ever actually achieve understanding, you needn't 'adopt' or 'believe' what you simply 'understand'.
It is said that "if you don't understand (and able to 'defend') at least three different interpretations/theories/Perspectives of your 'field', that you haven't any understanding worth mentioning".
You don't have to understand.
You don't have to 'believe'.
It's all been said, and I'm all out of words.
You've worn me out.
The seeds are planted and I'd love to be the fly on the wall when they sprout and bear fruit.
Peace
nameless out

Have you any particular objection to what I said? You don't think, do you, that if someone made a statue of you, or painted a picture of you, and if you suddenly vanished, that statue or picture would be you, so that you had not really vanished, do you? Whether or not you exist, a representation of you is not you. I can't imagine why you would think that is controversial.

ACB

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 07:41 am
@kennethamy,
Can we agree on the following?

1. Living mermaids are one type of thing. As a matter of objective fact (as kennethamy would say), or from our perspective (as nameless would say), this type of thing is not a component of the world.

2. Thoughts of living mermaids are another type of thing. Subject to the above qualifications, this type is a component of the world.

3. Statues of mermaids and thoughts of statues of mermaids are two further types, both of which are components of the world.

4. All of the above types are subsets of a set M, which is itself a subset of 'Everything' (the universal set). If I understand Nameless correctly, he would call M 'the set of mermaids', whilst kennethamy would need a different term for it ('the set of mermaid things' perhaps), as he wishes to confine the term 'mermaid' to actual living mermaids.

5. Everything in set M exists, but the members of its different subsets exist in different ways (e.g. thoughts of living mermaids exist as thoughts; statues of mermaids exist as statues).

It seems to me that the disagreement largely boils down to a linguistic point, i.e. how one defines 'mermaid'.

richrf

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 01:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;63566 wrote:
The answer is obvious. Everything. Of course, as someone added, we need to get down to details. There are "ships, and sails, and sealing wax, and cabbages, and kings". But everything exists, and nothing does not exist.

One frame of thought is that everything that exists is always changing so at the same time it does not exist. Clever the way the universe works. Love the paradoxes it poses.

Rich

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

patchouli;65908 wrote:
Sounds like some of the break down in earlier discussion is happening over the definition of existence.

Does the mere concept of an object (a mermaid in a dream) establish the object's existence? i.e. Does anything that can be imagined exist?

The answers would solve the "everything/nothing exists" disagreement, right? Feel free to comment.

Yes, that is how I feel. For me, if it is something that I can talk about, then it exists. But knowing that it is also changing, I better be fast, otherwise what exists will no longer exist. Such as this forum thread. Smile

Of course, anyone can take an different viewpoint, as long as we both understand what we are talking about. For example, if existence depends upon the consensus of two or more people seeing something, then that is fine. However, I bet you, that the two people who claim to see the same thing, because they are viewing it from a different perspective, will not agree on what is existing. :-) So the disagreement continues. I think Heraclitus nailed it. Conflict begats change and change begats conflict.

Rich

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

kennethamy;65294 wrote:
I don't think it is the case that most people believe the world is flat, do you? Certainly not people who have had any education. But, even if that were true, that does not mean that they should stick with that belief. And I wrote not that they do have that belief, but even if they do, they ought not to have that belief, since it has been shown to be false. Just glance at satellite picture of Earth, for one piece of evidence.

Most people agree that the earth is round, and that is not true either. I think it is rather irregular shaped with slightly flattened out areas. Or whatever. What do most people really believe and does it matter? I guess it matters, maybe, if you like to be with the majority.

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 06:21 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67431 wrote:
One frame of thought is that everything that exists is always changing so at the same time it does not exist. Clever the way the universe works. Love the paradoxes it poses.

Most people agree that the earth is round, and that is not true either. I think it is rather irregular shaped with slightly flattened out areas. Or whatever. What do most people really believe and does it matter? I guess it matters, maybe, if you like to be with the majority.

Rich

From the proposition that something is always changing, it does not follow that it does not exist. Indeed, if it did not exist, then how could it also change? So, although I am sorry to disappoint you, there is no paradox.

When people say that Earth is round they are, of course, speaking loosely, and in a certain context. Just as people say that Italy is shaped like a boot, and that France is hexagonal. And, of course given the context all three propositions are true. Just not, exactly true. Just as when I ask someone how tall he is, and he says, five feet and nine inches, and he is a 20th of an inch over that, his answer is true, given the context.

richrf

Reply Mon 8 Jun, 2009 11:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;67523 wrote:
From the proposition that something is always changing, it does not follow that it does not exist. Indeed, if it did not exist, then how could it also change? So, although I am sorry to disappoint you, there is no paradox.

What exists if it is no longer there the moment you observe it. It has changed into something else. Sort of a play on the Heisenberg principle. You may say I exist. But what is it that you say exists. I've just changed into something else. Well, you may say, something is there. But what? The Dao De Jing says, that that which is the Dao (everything) cannot be named. Makes sense to me. Everything else is in flux and exists and does not exist, in the same instance, because of this.

Quote:
When people say that Earth is round they are, of course, speaking loosely, and in a certain context. Just as people say that Italy is shaped like a boot, and that France is hexagonal. And, of course given the context all three propositions are true. Just not, exactly true. Just as when I ask someone how tall he is, and he says, five feet and nine inches, and he is a 20th of an inch over that, his answer is true, given the context.
Not exactly true? Now we are getting somewhere. Smile

You say it is this, and I say it is that. You say it is "me", but you have changed into something else, so me is kind of me, but a little different. What existed instantaneously changed into something different. It is constantly changing.

Approximately true. Not exactly true. I like the ring of that. Everything that is true is kind of true. Smile

Rich

kennethamy

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:13 pm
@richrf,
richrf;67602 wrote:
What exists if it is no longer there the moment you observe it. It has changed into something else. Sort of a play on the Heisenberg principle. You may say I exist. But what is it that you say exists. I've just changed into something else. Well, you may say, something is there. But what? The Dao De Jing says, that that which is the Dao (everything) cannot be named. Makes sense to me. Everything else is in flux and exists and does not exist, in the same instance, because of this.

Not exactly true? Now we are getting somewhere. Smile

You say it is this, and I say it is that. You say it is "me", but you have changed into something else, so me is kind of me, but a little different. What existed instantaneously changed into something different. It is constantly changing.

Approximately true. Not exactly true. I like the ring of that. Everything that is true is kind of true. Smile

Rich

Not at all. The pear I had yesterday, and the pear I have today, are the very same pear although the one I have today is riper than the one I had yesterday. What would make you think it is a different pear? And I am the very same person as the person in that photograph taken three years ago. As I pointed out in the earlier post, something could not change unless it remained the same, for then, there would be nothing that changed.

Yes, there are approximate truths, but then, there are also exact truths. Indeed, since "approximate truth" means, "not exact truth" how could there even be approximate truths unless there were exact truths. Just as there is counterfeit money, but unless there is genuine money, how could there be counterfeit money? There couldn't. So, although 11 dollars and 99 cents is approximately 12 dollars, 11 dollars and 100 cents is exactly 12 dollars. So it is "kind of true" that 11 dollars and 99 cents, is 12 dollars; but it is (exactly) true that 11 dollars and 100 cents equals 12 dollars. See the difference?

richrf

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:45 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;67830 wrote:
Not at all. The pear I had yesterday, and the pear I have today, are the very same pear although the one I have today is riper than the one I had yesterday.

Do you see the contradiction/paradox? Same and different in the same sentence.

Quote:
What would make you think it is a different pear?

You just articulated one difference. There are many, many others. Shape, smell, color, etc.

Quote:
And I am the very same person as the person in that photograph taken three years ago.

I doubt it. My guess is that you act much differently, know many more things, and are of different shape and color. But I have to take your word for it for now. If you can put one of your friends on the forum, they might reveal otherwise.

Quote:
As I pointed out in the earlier post, something could not change unless it remained the same, for then, there would be nothing that changed.

There lies the paradox. Is a photon a wave or a particle. Well it all depends upon how it is observed. Can it be both at the same time?

Quote:
Yes, there are approximate truths, but then, there are also exact truths. Indeed, since "approximate truth" means, "not exact truth" how could there even be approximate truths unless there were exact truths.

Well, I think that you will find that most everything you think is true is definitely subject to interpretation and consensus with someone else. Others are not so clear cut, but at some point, it will become clear with the vagueness lies. Lack of specificity seems to be implicit in the universe. However, let me have your best Truthful idea. The one that you are most proud of. It will be interesting to hear.

Quote:
Just as there is counterfeit money, but unless there is genuine money, how could there be counterfeit money?

There are Truths for you which are not True for me. Both exist simultaneously. I say there are no Truths and you say there are. You see, it is all there, both sides. [/QUOTE]

kennethamy

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 10:23 am
@richrf,
richrf;67861 wrote:
Do you see the contradiction/paradox? Same and different in the same sentence.

There are Truths for you which are not True for me. Both exist simultaneously. I say there are no Truths and you say there are. You see, it is all there, both sides.
[/QUOTE]

The confusion lies in two different meanings of the word, "same" (and, therefore, the word, "different")

Meaning 1. Numerically the same, or, "one and the same". Or, "identical". X and Y are numerically the same; let me give you an example. Mark Twain and Samuel L. Clemens are numerically the same person. They are identical. That means, every property of Mark Twain is also a property of Samuel Clemens, and every property of Sam Clemens is a property of Mark Twain's. They both have exactly the same properties. This is called "quantitative sameness".

Meaning 2. Qualitatively the same. X and Y have the same properties, but there are two objects, X and Y. So, for instance, suppose I have a dollar bill, and you have a dollar bill. Those are two bills, so they are quantitatively different (not the same). but they have the same qualities. Both green, both a picture of Washington, etc.

Now, the photo of me as a three year old, and a photo of me, taken yesterday, are two photos of the very same person (meaning 1-identical). But of course, the same person in one photo is much younger than the person in the second photo. The person in the second photo is much taller than the person in the first photo. The persons in the two photos are, then qualitatively not the same. (Meaning 2).

So, the "paradox" is no longer a paradox, since the person in the photo can be both the same, and not the same (different). For, the person can be the same in the quantitative sense of "same" (identical), and not the same (or different) in the qualitative sense.

So, there is really no problem. As soon as the two senses of "same" are distinguished, we can see how a person can be the same in one sense of the word, but not in the other sense.

The phrase, "truth for you" and "truth for me" just mean, "you believe it is true" and , "I believe it is true". So it is possible, of course, for something to be a "truth for me", but "not a truth for you", since it is possible for you to believe something is true, and (at the same time) for me to believe that same something is not true (or false). So here we are not talking about truths, but about beliefs, which are two different kinds of things. But when it comes to truths (and not beliefs) of course, the same thing cannot be both true and not true. That would be a contradiction. So, all you need do is to see that the same proposition can be true for you (you believe it is true) and not true for me (I don't believe it is true); but that doesn't mean that the same proposition can be both true and not true.

So, with that distinction under our belts, we see there is also no problem in this case either.

richrf

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:30 pm
@kennethamy,
Hi,

Everything in this world appears in opposites. Something can be both True and NOT TRUE. True for you but not True for me. I can live with that. If you have to have it true for me, in order to put order into you life, you will just have to bear with me until it becomes true for me, and you will then have to hope that it stays true for me, otherwise your life will be again thrown into turmoil. Smile

Rich

jeeprs

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:39 pm
@Ichthus91,
Quote:
Something can be both true and NOT TRUE

I have learned that this is the subject of the study of dialethia. There is a philosopher from Melbourne University, Graham Priest, who specialises in it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 07:09:22