The classical question: What is?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

nameless

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:31 pm
@FatherDefiance,
FatherDefiance;64195 wrote:
No, I dont. Because pure empirical evidence is not something we can rely on...

Thought you might like the following;

Quote:
Logic trumps empiricism, and so does praxeology.
If someone came up to you and said, "I just observed something that is A and not A at the same time," you wouldn't chuck out logic. You'd probably think the person was crazy, or look for some basic error in their assumptions (e.g. an fallacy of equivocation, one of their A's is not really identical to the other.)
Enough of such study and we find the new and larger world/universe that QM has opened for business.

If someone told you that they saw water running uphill, you wouldn't say, "Oh well, the law of gravity doesn't hold." Again, you'd look for errors in assumptions related to the law of gravity. Was it an optical illusion? Was energy added (a hand pump?) Did it occur in a space capsule? Similarly, if someone says a rise in price, of apples, gold, iPods, or labor, didn't result in lowering sales, you don't chuck out the praxeological law that people prefer more to less. You look for assumptions that don't hold. Was it really ceterus paribus, or unconsidered factors effect it?
The assumptions of empiricism are refuted in the findings of QM.

Personally, I think it's all a matter of Perspective. *__-

Lost phil

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 08:15 pm
@nameless,
I like the perspective aspect. Especially since i think our own perspective is all we will ever have.

nameless

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 09:29 pm
@Lost phil,
Lost;64482 wrote:
I like the perspective aspect. Especially since i think our own perspective is all we will ever have.

Conscious Perspective, it's what we are!

kennethamy

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:53 pm
@Lost phil,
Lost wrote:

Isn't the point of science to go beyond our personal perspective to objectivity? My perspective may be a flat Earth, but thanks to science, I now believe, and know, that Earth is round.

nameless

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 10:19 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65034 wrote:
Isn't the point of science to go beyond our personal perspective to objectivity?

No it is not.
'Objectivity' is a fantasy;

In The Tao of Physics, Fritjof Capra, said in 1982:
“I now believe that the world view of mystical tradition is the best and most appropriate philosophical background for the theories of modern science.”

David Bohm, Wholeness and the Implicate Order, 69;
“even if one supposes that the physically significant variables actually exist with sharply defined values (as is demanded by classical mechanics) then we could never measure them simultaneously, for the interaction between the observing apparatus and what is observed always involves an exchange of one or more indivisible and uncontrollably fluctuating quanta.” (Large nail in the coffin of 'classical physics!)

Furthermore, in quantum physics the observer participates in the system of observation to such an extent that the system cannot be viewed as independent. That meant, at least in the quantum context, au revoir to the Cartesian notion of an external universe, independent of cognition. Most significantly, it had been discovered that the energy we call an electron may become manifest both as a wave and as a particle, depending on the measuring conditions.

In the famous (idealized) two-slit experiment, we are asked to imagine a wall seen from above, with two holes spaced apart. In front of the wall is an electron gun and behind it, a detector. When a single electron is aimed at the wall, the pattern displayed on the detector indicates wave interference. This extraordinary phenomenon suggests that the electron has gone through both holes at once, in the form or function of a wave, and interfered with itself.
The electron “knows” that both holes are open. Yet, if observed, an electron is seen to go through one hole or the other, and is registered on the detector as a particle. It is as though the electron experiences or even creates a parallel world in which it is in two places at once—a process that can never be observed directly, for the moment an attempt is made to do so, the wave function immediately collapses. The particle “knows” it is being watched! It also behaves as if it knows what other particles are doing. [SIZE="3"]In this context, objective knowledge of a supposed material world is simply impossible.[/SIZE]

kennethamy

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 06:23 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
No it is not.
'Objectivity' is a fantasy;

In The Tao of Physics, Fritjof Capra, said in 1982:
"I now believe that the world view of mystical tradition is the best and most appropriate philosophical background for the theories of modern science."

David Bohm, Wholeness and the Implicate Order, 69;
"even if one supposes that the physically significant variables actually exist with sharply defined values (as is demanded by classical mechanics) then we could never measure them simultaneously, for the interaction between the observing apparatus and what is observed always involves an exchange of one or more indivisible and uncontrollably fluctuating quanta." (Large nail in the coffin of 'classical physics!)

Furthermore, in quantum physics the observer participates in the system of observation to such an extent that the system cannot be viewed as independent. That meant, at least in the quantum context, au revoir to the Cartesian notion of an external universe, independent of cognition. Most significantly, it had been discovered that the energy we call an electron may become manifest both as a wave and as a particle, depending on the measuring conditions.

In the famous (idealized) two-slit experiment, we are asked to imagine a wall seen from above, with two holes spaced apart. In front of the wall is an electron gun and behind it, a detector. When a single electron is aimed at the wall, the pattern displayed on the detector indicates wave interference. This extraordinary phenomenon suggests that the electron has gone through both holes at once, in the form or function of a wave, and interfered with itself.
The electron "knows" that both holes are open. Yet, if observed, an electron is seen to go through one hole or the other, and is registered on the detector as a particle. It is as though the electron experiences or even creates a parallel world in which it is in two places at once-a process that can never be observed directly, for the moment an attempt is made to do so, the wave function immediately collapses. The particle "knows" it is being watched! It also behaves as if it knows what other particles are doing. In this context, objective knowledge of a supposed material world is simply impossible.

So each of us should stick with his personal perspective that Earth is flat, and not mind what science tells us? Or that the Sun is a small yellow ball not far above my head, and forget about all this enormous star nonsense astronomy tells us?

It really does not follow from the premises the (complete) objective knowledge of a material world is impossible, that we should remain with our subjective beliefs (whatever they are). This would be the black or white fallacy, since it might be (and is) possible to gain degrees of objectivity which would still be much superior to our subjective beliefs. Three quarters of a loaf is a lot better than none.

nameless

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 12:15 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65085 wrote:
So each of us should stick with his personal perspective that Earth is flat, and not mind what science tells us?

Generally, this seems to be the case.

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
-Maxwell Planck

Quote:
It really does not follow from the premises the (complete) objective knowledge of a material world is impossible, that we should remain with our subjective beliefs (whatever they are).

There is no such thing as 'objective'. It is a 'belief' for which there is no evidence. Ultimately there is no real 'subject/object' distinction, but by Perspective/'belief'.
All premises considered, it certainly does.
If you have any evidence to the contrary, present it.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:54 pm
@nameless,
nameless;65119 wrote:
Generally, this seems to be the case.

A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
-Maxwell Planck

There is no such thing as 'objective'. It is a 'belief' for which there is no evidence. Ultimately there is no real 'subject/object' distinction, but by Perspective/'belief'.
All premises considered, it certainly does.
If you have any evidence to the contrary, present it.

I don't think it is the case that most people believe the world is flat, do you? Certainly not people who have had any education. But, even if that were true, that does not mean that they should stick with that belief. And I wrote not that they do have that belief, but even if they do, they ought not to have that belief, since it has been shown to be false. Just glance at satellite picture of Earth, for one piece of evidence.

nameless

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 02:02 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65294 wrote:
I don't think it is the case that most people believe the world is flat, do you?

I once heard the question; "I don't think it is the case that most people believe the world rides on a turtle, do you? Certainly not people who have had any education. Now we know it's flat, and attached to the sky vault, like the sun!"
Odd how that (general) conversation pops up every few years...
(If you could access your 'read-between-the-lines' feature, you would have an easier time understanding what I'm talking about.)

Quote:
But, even if that were true, that does not mean that they should stick with that belief.

Sorry, I have difficulty with your language.
First, I do not advocate any 'beliefs', whatsoever.
Second, nothing is the same from moment to moment.
Third, I do not advocate 'belief' in (the vanity of) 'free-will/choice'. What is, is!
Fourth, there are no (vain) 'shoulds' in 'this' world. What is, is!
Which, in 'this' world, renders the question 'meaningless'.

Quote:
And I wrote not that they do have that belief, but even if they do, they ought not to have that belief,

What vanity is this that you would assume to decide what is or is not appropriate for another Perspective to perceive. Sorry, but the Universe is complete already. It doesn't need your assistence. But, we'll keep your number in our database and if we ever need another god, we'll give you a call...
Gee, I wonder who's saying that same thing about you and your beliefs?

Quote:
since it has been shown to be false.

Ahhhh, Perspective. We all see the elephant from unique 'angles', and you are attempting to 'prove' that the trunk that I perceive is 'false' because it doesn't appear like the tree-like thigh before you?
I find all Perspectives to be true features of the complete Universe. Even egoPerspectives (thank Dog!)...
'Everyone' sees the evidence/Universe from 'his own' unique Perspective. There is no one-size-fits-all "been shown to be false".
"'True' and 'false' is in the ego of the beholder."

Quote:
Just glance at satellite picture of Earth, for one piece of evidence.

[CENTER]Yup,
looks like a beautiful
coin!
Like a turquoise,
set in the ebony of
night...[/CENTER]

kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 11:07 am
@nameless,
nameless;65342 wrote:
I once heard the question; "I don't think it is the case that most people believe the world rides on a turtle, do you? Certainly not people who have had any education. Now we know it's flat, and attached to the sky vault, like the sun!"
Odd how that (general) conversation pops up every few years...
(If you could access your 'read-between-the-lines' feature, you would have an easier time understanding what I'm talking about.)

Sorry, I have difficulty with your language.
First, I do not advocate any 'beliefs', whatsoever.
Second, nothing is the same from moment to moment.
Third, I do not advocate 'belief' in (the vanity of) 'free-will/choice'. What is, is!
Fourth, there are no (vain) 'shoulds' in 'this' world. What is, is!
Which, in 'this' world, renders the question 'meaningless'.

What vanity is this that you would assume to decide what is or is not appropriate for another Perspective to perceive. Sorry, but the Universe is complete already. It doesn't need your assistence. But, we'll keep your number in our database and if we ever need another god, we'll give you a call...
Gee, I wonder who's saying that same thing about you and your beliefs?

Ahhhh, Perspective. We all see the elephant from unique 'angles', and you are attempting to 'prove' that the trunk that I perceive is 'false' because it doesn't appear like the tree-like thigh before you?
I find all Perspectives to be true features of the complete Universe. Even egoPerspectives (thank Dog!)...
'Everyone' sees the evidence/Universe from 'his own' unique Perspective. There is no one-size-fits-all "been shown to be false".
"'True' and 'false' is in the ego of the beholder."

[CENTER]Yup,
looks like a beautiful
coin!
Like a turquoise,
set in the ebony of
night...[/CENTER]

From the fact that people make mistakes (and if I were to follow your line of reasoning, I could not even know that people make mistakes) it does not follow whenever I believe something, that I am making a mistake, only that I might be making a mistake. And, neither does it follow what I cannot know that I have made a mistaken so I can correct it. Perspectivism (if that is what it is called) is cute, but clearly false, and ultimately a total confusion. I suppose you think that perspectivism is true, or at least it is false? Of course, as someone once remarked about a view like perspectivism, not only is it not true, it is not even false".

But, of course, I am under the impression that you think that this kind of conversation we are engaging in is something we can talk seriously about, and not flippantly, as it it were all a big joke. And I suspect I am mistaken about that.

nameless

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:22 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65671 wrote:
as someone once remarked about a view like perspectivism, not only is it not true, it is not even false".

First, there is no such philosophy called "perspectivism". Is that your attempt to conveniently classify and dismiss? Create a straw-man and offer some (possible) obscure quote that is both moronic and irrelevent?
Like those 'isms', eh?
Well this isn't one. These are 'my' (independently arrived at) thoughts that I offer, not some 'ism'.
And I sincerely doubt your quote. And even if your quote is relating to "a view like perspectivism", whatever that might mean, it's trivial and irrelevent to the conversation.

What I have offered about Perspective is irrefutable (so far, and you merely demonstrate that point), and your 'possible comments' by someone about a view "like" something that I have offered, is totally lame and irrelevent. You seem to want so hard to argue and deny, for some reason(?), that you are blinded to possibly understanding anything that (differs from your own thoughts) I might offer. Well, what I offer is food for thought, and it seems that you are already 'sated' with your own. Whatever...

Quote:
But, of course, I am under the impression that you think that this kind of conversation we are engaging in is something we can talk seriously about, and not flippantly, as it it were all a big joke. And I suspect I am mistaken about that.

Humor is one good means of teaching (when someone is capable of being taught), and tends to lighten that which can be taken too seriously and thereby obstructing 'free thought'.
Again, if you don't like my apples, don't shake my tree.
Peace

kennethamy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:08 pm
@nameless,
nameless;65740 wrote:
First, there is no such philosophy called "perspectivism". Is that your attempt to conveniently classify and dismiss? Create a straw-man and offer some (possible) obscure quote that is both moronic and irrelevent?
Like those 'isms', eh?

Perspectivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I hope this helps.

patchouli phil

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 07:28 pm
@Ichthus91,
Sounds like some of the break down in earlier discussion is happening over the definition of existence.

Does the mere concept of an object (a mermaid in a dream) establish the object's existence? i.e. Does anything that can be imagined exist?

The answers would solve the "everything/nothing exists" disagreement, right? Feel free to comment.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 10:00 pm
@patchouli phil,
patchouli;65908 wrote:
Sounds like some of the break down in earlier discussion is happening over the definition of existence.

Does the mere concept of an object (a mermaid in a dream) establish the object's existence? i.e. Does anything that can be imagined exist?

The answers would solve the "everything/nothing exists" disagreement, right? Feel free to comment.

How would there be any reason to suppose that just because we have the concept of a mermaid, that there are mermaids? Why would anyone believe such a thing? Such a view would clearly establish for once and for all that atheism is false.

nameless

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 02:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65862 wrote:

Well, there was nothing in the philosophical Dictionary.
Go figure.
I do not completely agree with your quoted 'category'. Whatever Nietzsche came up with, I came up with my own independently, and it only matches partially.
For instance I don't necessarily agree with the following;
this implies that no way of seeing the world can be taken as definitively "true", but does not necessarily propose that all perspectives are equally valid.

Although similarities exist, I do not accept your relegation to some preconceivd box for your cognitive ease.
My words stand or fall on their own merit.
If you are such that you must 'categorize/departmentalize', thats your thing, not mine.
My 'understandings' are independent of all 'schools' and prestanding edifices.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

patchouli;65908 wrote:

Yes!
Everything exists (in context)!
(Existence is context.)
That is the complete 'set'.
Any 'distinctions' made are arbitrarily Perspectival, and 'subsets' within the 'set' that everything exists!

jeeprs

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 04:07 am
@Ichthus91,
Here is a Platonist take on it (according to my rudimentary understanding):

The word 'exist' is derived from 'ex' meaning apart from or outside; 'ist' = to be. To exist is to be this as distinct from that.

Also, all existing things are composed of parts and begin and end in time.

(In this argument, figments of your imagination do not exist.)

As distinct from 'existing things', there are fundamentals such as 'form and number'. Form and number do not exist in themselves, but without form and number, nothing would exist as everything would be chaotic.

While individual existents come and go, the forms which they take, and the 'ratio' by which they exist, precede their existence. It is not possible to determine the origin or antecedents of these forms. They are woven into the fabric of the cosmos.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:48 am
@nameless,
nameless;65926 wrote:
Well, there was nothing in the philosophical Dictionary.
Go figure.
I do not completely agree with your quoted 'category'. Whatever Nietzsche came up with, I came up with my own independently, and it only matches partially.
For instance I don't necessarily agree with the following;
this implies that no way of seeing the world can be taken as definitively "true", but does not necessarily propose that all perspectives are equally valid.

Although similarities exist, I do not accept your relegation to some preconceivd box for your cognitive ease.
My words stand or fall on their own merit.
If you are such that you must 'categorize/departmentalize', thats your thing, not mine.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 AM ----------

Yes!
Everything exists (in context)!
(Existence is context.)
That is the complete 'set'.
Any 'distinctions' made are arbitrarily Perspectival, and 'subsets' within the 'set' that everything exists!

I suppose you do distinguish between girls and boys, don't you? You cannot think unless you "categorize". The categories, of course, do not have to be built of steel. They may all of them be revisable, and replaced by better cateqories. But categories we must have. Otherwise, you could not even let me know that you were opposed to categories. In fact, you would not know it yourself.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:55 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;65944 wrote:

The word 'exist' is derived from 'ex' meaning apart from or outside; 'ist' = to be. To exist is to be this as distinct from that.

As distinct from 'existing things', there are fundamentals such as 'form and number'. Form and number do not exist in themselves, but without form and number, nothing would exist as everything would be chaotic.

While individual existents come and go, the forms which they take, and the 'ratio' by which they exist, precede their existence. It is not possible to determine the origin or antecedents of these forms. They are woven into the fabric of the cosmos.

Doesn't "X exists" just mean that those properties which X is supposed to have are the properties of something; and "X does not exist" means, that the properties that X is supposed to have, are not the properties of anything?

So, for example:

"Dogs exist" means that the properties that dogs are supposed to have are the properties of something (namely dogs). And, unicorns do not exist, means, that the properties that unicorns are supposed to have are not the properties of anything. What else could, "x exists" mean?

nameless

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 12:53 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;65944 wrote:

Too bad Plato (as well as the Buddha and others) didn't have the benefit of QM to 'inform' his nonsense.
As I said, all distinctions, and there are many, are subsets of the one complete set of "everything exists" (in context).

jeeprs

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 05:50 pm
@Ichthus91,
amazing they survived at all, without the benefit of your transcendent wisdom....

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:51:55