Fate and Free Will - My thoughts (please critique)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

click here

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 02:05 pm
@xris,
xris;65372 wrote:
If some physical need, like the volcano has needs, inhabits my body i am a slave to its necessities because i exist in this frail body.I am by a certain degree subject to demands, temptations, weaknesses.I cant imaging neurons firing away in my head and them controlling my actions.I control them, i direct them by my subtle human ability.A car will work without my interference but its direction is my decision, not its.If it requires a soul or a mind separate from brain to explain this free will then thats what it is.I'm not a hard drive, i have the will to determine my fate.Ive heard all the arguments and i defy their reasoning.

Oh really you control the neurons firing in your brain? What part of you controls them? You speak vaguely about your 'subtle human ability'.

xris wrote:
Why cant you believe in a soul without a belief in a god?

Well that would depend on how you define 'soul'. If you define it as an illusion and a man created 'self' then within your view it is not mutually exclusive.

But if you wish to think of 'soul' as that which you control your decisions with you run into some SERIOUS problems. You simply can not refute them at all, in the end you must simply throw your hands up and say you just don't know and hide behind your agnosticism.

Altheia

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 08:08 pm
@click here,
click here;65369 wrote:
It seems to me as though many people whom hold atheist views but are into "quantum mechanics" use it as some sort of linch pin. As though, "hey maybe we do have free will, we don't know what causes the 'random' collapse of the wave function' so there is hope!" :perplexed:

What was the point?

Xris, you can believe in a soul without a belief in a god, but the point is that in the end it is still a belief, and has nothing to do with reason... Surely then you can say you've "heard all the arguments and defy their reasoning", since you reduce free will itself to a belief.

Is what I wrote in my previous posts unclear? Nobody is actually answering...

xris

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 04:55 am
@Altheia,
Everything in life is belief, belief in science,belief in scriptures,belief in experiences.Yes i do believe in a soul and it does not make my agnostic view incredible or a shield to hide behind.I believe by logical manner there is enough evidence for a an individuals identity to exist without this earthly body.It is partly by personal experience and by others recalled experiences to me.You may say that belief depends on credible evidence but what is credible?

Altheia

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 06:35 am
@xris,
xris;65521 wrote:
Everything in life is belief, belief in science,belief in scriptures,belief in experiences.Yes i do believe in a soul and it does not make my agnostic view incredible or a shield to hide behind.I believe by logical manner there is enough evidence for a an individuals identity to exist without this earthly body.It is partly by personal experience and by others recalled experiences to me.You may say that belief depends on credible evidence but what is credible?

You totally have a point and I agree as for the general ideas: however, if you believe as you say by logical manner (which we all do, even the most rational scientists, since axioms are by definition admitted and cannot be demonstrated), then it means you can at least explain, if not demonstrate, through reasoning, what your conception of the soul is. Experience is individual, reason universal, and that is why philosophy is based on reason no matter how much it is also based on experience too, of course (what isn't anyways?). What I mean is that believing that 2+2=4 does not have the same degree of probability as believing in Santa Claus, because the first one is reasonable. So anyways, could you explicit yourself? I am more than interested, but saying "It is partly by personal experience and by others recalled experiences to me." just isn't enough.

xris

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:10 am
@Altheia,
Alètheia;65533 wrote:
You totally have a point and I agree as for the general ideas: however, if you believe as you say by logical manner (which we all do, even the most rational scientists, since axioms are by definition admitted and cannot be demonstrated), then it means you can at least explain, if not demonstrate, through reasoning, what your conception of the soul is. Experience is individual, reason universal, and that is why philosophy is based on reason no matter how much it is also based on experience too, of course (what isn't anyways?). What I mean is that believing that 2+2=4 does not have the same degree of probability as believing in Santa Claus, because the first one is reasonable. So anyways, could you explicit yourself? I am more than interested, but saying "It is partly by personal experience and by others recalled experiences to me." just isn't enough.
I appreciate its not enough but knowledge of this nature does not always come from scholarly endeavour.We cant assume everything in life is so clearly identified.Firstly you must make an assumption that not everyone who thinks so is delusional or has ulterior motives.Not everything can be scrutinized by scientific methods and a certain amount of faith in human experience must be one of them.
If one person can give you an example say of distant viewing what could you infer from that experience? Im not assuming its possible mind..

kennethamy

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:33 am
@xris,
xris;65521 wrote:

But aren't some beliefs better supported by the evidence than are others? And aren't some beliefs contrary to the evidence? Just to say that everything is a belief is to ignore the difference among beliefs in regard to whether we have, and how much evidence we have for different beliefs. And, isn't that what is important. Not to distinguish among beliefs in regard to evidence for them is to run the risk of being gullible and an easy mark for all kinds of superstition, and gimcrackery. We owe it to ourselves to have respect for rationality and evidence, don't we? And I am sure that you, yourself, distinguish among those beliefs you are willing to accept, and those you reject or are skeptical of.

What is credible evidence? Evidence which comes from reliable sources, and from personal experience. How do we know what are reliable sources? Past experience, and understanding. Credentialed sources.

xris

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:32 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65561 wrote:
But aren't some beliefs better supported by the evidence than are others? And aren't some beliefs contrary to the evidence? Just to say that everything is a belief is to ignore the difference among beliefs in regard to whether we have, and how much evidence we have for different beliefs. And, isn't that what is important. Not to distinguish among beliefs in regard to evidence for them is to run the risk of being gullible and an easy mark for all kinds of superstition, and gimcrackery. We owe it to ourselves to have respect for rationality and evidence, don't we? And I am sure that you, yourself, distinguish among those beliefs you are willing to accept, and those you reject or are skeptical of.

What is credible evidence? Evidence which comes from reliable sources, and from personal experience. How do we know what are reliable sources? Past experience, and understanding. Credentialed sources.
Thats up to the individual and he or she must regard that others may not have the same experiences.Im far from gullible and i do scrutinise my own beliefs with objective criticism.I did not entertain the idea the idea entertained me.Some experiences force you to reconsider your views and beliefs.The only thing i can really ever say, are you really really sure.I find life has the habit of telling us we dont know much at all.

Holiday20310401

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 07:15 pm
@xris,
Aletheia, I'm sorry I haven't been able to clarify sooner.
When we're speaking of free will, I'm assuming free will is about control over our own actions and destiny blah blah blah. The problem with this is that in order for us to actually have free will, our consciousness actually has to be controlling our actions. Being aware of oneself must affect in some way (definitely not 'all' ways) the actions we make.

Some people automatically assume that just because we have the hard problem of consciousness that consciousness is there for the sake of our free will. There is no causal link between our 'feeling' that we are in control of our actions and our actual ability to control our actions. (By 'we' I mean consciousness).

Considering the fact that consciousness is not really something tangible, consciousness is widely viewed as emergent from a system. (don't let new mysterianism fool you, all that is needed to explain consciousness is the system of the body; brain, nerves, and all... leave the soul out of it because it is simply too subjective an interpretation of what's going on).

If our body, our subconscious/unconscious processes are what drives our actions like so much research suggests, where consciousness is only an emergent mishap (the hard problem of consciousness labels 'mishap' as the problem because consciousness is left without a why), then what of free will? What does it mean?

The remainder of what free will means is left to how we only 'feel' in control of our actions.

In terms of fate, on a classical/macro scale of the system (which is perfectly reasonable for neural networks), there is inevitably determinism. If we can mathematically determined, or if there is some algorithm to model the future course of events, then that's deterministic enough for me.

So in a way, there is fate. One problem though, is if chaos theory seems practical and relevant, that could mean there is an infinite amount of information. I don't know what would have to happen to model information in that sense, but that means in the classical world, there would always be a really small uncertainty. I don't know if this uncertainty can just be neglected on macro scales.

But you see, determinism does not really conflict with free will, it simply reduces free will to what is perhaps not too idealistic?

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 05:13 am
@Holiday20310401,
Why does the whole of the debate depend on determinism? when it to is questionable.The quantum experiments don't confirm this,if that was the case everything written would be a direct result of the BB.The BB is in itself a contentious issue for the creation debate.You cant have an evolutionary story reliant on chance events and a determinist theory dependant on one event causing everything else.The idea that the BB caused every minute event, describes a story that creationist would love to agree with.If you have a creation you must have a creator and then you must have more than we can ever dream of.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 09:23 am
@xris,
xris;65576 wrote:
Thats up to the individual and he or she must regard that others may not have the same experiences.Im far from gullible and i do scrutinise my own beliefs with objective criticism.I did not entertain the idea the idea entertained me.Some experiences force you to reconsider your views and beliefs.The only thing i can really ever say, are you really really sure.I find life has the habit of telling us we dont know much at all.

Sorry, I cannot tell what your point is in this post.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Holiday20310401;65626 wrote:

The remainder of what free will means is left to how we only 'feel' in control of our actions.

Sometimes people may feel that it is up to them what they do (that is what I understand by, "in control" of one's actions) and it is not up to them what they do. For instance, people who have been hypnotized and are acting under the influence of post-hypnotic suggestion, or, more commonly, people who are drunk, but in denial, and think they are in control of how they drive. But, are you saying that all of our actions are like that? That is pretty implausible, don't you think? When I choose vanilla rather than chocolate ice-cream, not only to I feel the choice is up to me, but I have no good reason to think that it is not up to me, so far as I can tell. Why would you think it is not up to me whether I choose vanilla or chocolate?

click here

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 10:10 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65664 wrote:

Sometimes people may feel that it is up to them what they do (that is what I understand by, "in control" of one's actions) and it is not up to them what they do. For instance, people who have been hypnotized and are acting under the influence of post-hypnotic suggestion, or, more commonly, people who are drunk, but in denial, and think they are in control of how they drive. But, are you saying that all of our actions are like that? That is pretty implausible, don't you think? When I choose vanilla rather than chocolate ice-cream, not only to I feel the choice is up to me, but I have no good reason to think that it is not up to me, so far as I can tell. Why would you think it is not up to me whether I choose vanilla or chocolate?

How is an avalanches path that is tumbles any different then which ice cream flavor you choose? Does the avalanche choose where it falls? Surely not, its path is directed by what it is made up of and what it interacts with physically.

A human being, is an assortment of molecules, the molecules that compose their body (relates to what makes up the avalanche) is directed by past effects (relates to what the avalanche flows over.)

The avalanche has no immaterial essence that can direct the avalanche to fall any differently then it will by following the laws of physics. It's path is determined by its make up and its surroundings, there is no ability to change or defy any of that.

A human is simply a very complex avalanche. You choose vanilla simply because your neurons fired in that pattern. Now lets say me writing this has influenced you to try and 'defy' that choice well then my writing of this has been the cause which effected largely your choice next time around of chocolate. The molecules which make up your brain are so complexly organized that they trigger your brain to think that you have made the decision that you have made.

Of course I don't believe any of the junk I just said, I'm just trying to explain how by your presuppositions have no other choice (pun intended) then to choose determinism and reject free will as nothing other then a very complex illusion placed upon your brain by its complex design.

This also seems a little absurd to you right? That is one more reason why I believe in a God!

If you don't want to believe in Him fine, but at least own up to your own views and stop trying to argue something that is mutually exclusive for your world view.

kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 10:19 am
@click here,
click here;65667 wrote:
How is an avalanches path that is tumbles any different then which ice cream flavor you choose? Does the avalanche choose where it falls? Surely not, its path is directed by what it is made up of and what it interacts with physically.

I can't even imagine what it would mean for an avalanche to choose anything. Only people can choose (or not choose) anything. To talk about avalanches choosing is like talking about the square root of minus 1 being purple (or not being purple). It makes no sense to talk that way. But it certainly makes sense to talk of people choosing (or not choosing). What makes you say that human beings are complex avalanches? I think you must be making joke. People are not avalanches at all, so how could they be complex avalanches? (What those who philosophize won't say!)

click here

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 10:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65668 wrote:
I can't even imagine what it would mean for an avalanche to choose anything. Only people can choose (or not choose) anything. To talk about avalanches choosing is like talking about the square root of minus 1 being purple (or not being purple). It makes no sense to talk that way. But it certainly makes sense to talk of people choosing (or not choosing). What makes you say that human beings are complex avalanches? I think you must be making joke. People are not avalanches at all, so how could they be complex avalanches? (What those who philosophize won't say!)

Define your ability to: "choose"

You have a word to describe an illusion buddy. Does it make sense to say "sunrise"? No, but we know what someone means when they say it, it is just a word that defines an illusion.

We are not avalanches, its called an analogy. Can I ask how old you are?

kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 10:54 am
@click here,
click here;65669 wrote:
Define your ability to: "choose"

You have a word to describe an illusion buddy. Does it make sense to say "sunrise"? No, but we know what someone means when they say it, it is just a word that defines an illusion.

We are not avalanches, its called an analogy. Can I ask how old you are?

A human is simply a very complex avalanche

You did write that, didn't you? If it is a metaphor or similie (which is presumably what you mean by, "analogy") then how is a person like an avalanche?

I'll so even better. This is from a reliable dictionary: (Merriam-Webster).

1 a: to select freely and after consideration <choose a career> b: to decide on especially by vote : elect 2 a: to have a preference for b: decide <chose to go by train>intransitive verb1: to make a selection <finding it hard to choose>2: to take an alternative -used after cannot and usually followed by but<when earth is so kind, men cannot choose but be happy - J. A. Froude>

Although, since you are probably a native speaker of English, and choose is a common term in English, you really should know what it means. It is not necessary, by the way, to be able to define a term, in order to know what it means.

Of course it makes sense to say, "sunrise". The newspapers use that term everyday to tell you when the Sun is expected to rise that day. Anyway, how could the word not make sense when we know what it means?

Maybe choosing is an "illusion", but don't you think you ought to argue for that view, rather than simply assert it. What is illusory about choosing? I chose to get married, and I chose my wife, and lots of other things.

click here

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 11:39 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65670 wrote:
A human is simply a very complex avalanche

You did write that, didn't you? If it is a metaphor or similie (which is presumably what you mean by, "analogy") then how is a person like an avalanche?

I'll so even better. This is from a reliable dictionary: (Merriam-Webster).

1 a: to select freely and after consideration <choose a career> b: to decide on especially by vote : elect 2 a: to have a preference for b: decide <chose to go by train>intransitive verb1: to make a selection <finding it hard to choose>2: to take an alternative -used after cannot and usually followed by but<when earth is so kind, men cannot choose but be happy - J. A. Froude>

Although, since you are probably a native speaker of English, and choose is a common term in English, you really should know what it means. It is not necessary, by the way, to be able to define a term, in order to know what it means.

Of course it makes sense to say, "sunrise". The newspapers use that term everyday to tell you when the Sun is expected to rise that day. Anyway, how could the word not make sense when we know what it means?

Maybe choosing is an "illusion", but don't you think you ought to argue for that view, rather than simply assert it. What is illusory about choosing? I chose to get married, and I chose my wife, and lots of other things.

An avalanche is made of only molecules and a person is only made of molecules. There is no ability to alter the motions that are caused my previous causes. Read my post again and I already related the avalanches make up to a human.

I can give you a definition for a lot of things that don't exist.

What happens in your brain when you 'choose' something?

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65664 wrote:
Sorry, I cannot tell what your point is in this post.

Xris was just providing some wisdom, take it for what you will. Just because he believes in God doesn't mean you have to be condoning everything he says.

kennethamy;65664 wrote:

I am not saying that we are at a disadvantage for not having free will. All of our actions are not purely (if at all) orientated by our consciousness. When you decide you want chocolate ice cream over vanilla, we can't assume this immaterial consciousness has much if anything to do with making the decision just because awareness of our decision makes us 'feel' in control of it. What makes up consciousness that can contribute to any material efforts to the decision making process, which is really just that, material. Like Click Here said, the firing of neurons.

And Click Here, you say this is absurd (that's what I gathered anyways), yet absurd is such a subjective interpretation of what goes on in the environment to be assuming this objective divinity exists. Absurdity is a point of view, it's not the point of view of what is absurd. There is plenty of research that says consciousness is not the decision making process.

God exists because of moral aims, and what is the moral aim in believing in God here?

Likewise, existential nihilism does not require there to be free will in actuality or lack of determinism

kennethamy

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:59 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;65679 wrote:

I am not saying that we are at a disadvantage for not having free will. All of our actions are not purely (if at all) orientated by our consciousness. When you decide you want chocolate ice cream over vanilla, we can't assume this immaterial consciousness has much if anything to do with making the decision just because awareness of our decision makes us 'feel' in control of it. What makes up consciousness that can contribute to any material efforts to the decision making process, which is really just that, material. Like Click Here said, the firing of neurons.

But I don't see how what you say here has anything to do with whether it is up to me whether I have vanilla or chocolate ice-cream. I am not, so far as I can tell, assuming anything about consciousness, material or not. Why is it not up to me whether I have one flavor of ice-cream or another? Never mind the neurons.

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

click here;65673 wrote:
An avalanche is made of only molecules and a person is only made of molecules. There is no ability to alter the motions that are caused my previous causes. Read my post again and I already related the avalanches make up to a human.

I can give you a definition for a lot of things that don't exist.

What happens in your brain when you 'choose' something?

You think that because bananas are made up only of molecules, and peersons are made up only of molecules that persons are bananas, too? Why not? In fact, since avalanches are made up of molecules, and bananas are too, avalanches must be bananas.

I can define words that don't refer to anything that exists. So what? But sunrises exist. You can see them (if it is not too cloudy) every morning.

You'll have to ask a physiologist what happens in my brain when I choose. I suppose there is some neural firing. But what has that to do with it, since if the choice is the firing of neurons, and the choice is up to me, then the firing of neurons is up to me.

Holiday20310401

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 01:27 pm
@kennethamy,
Well you'd be better off with a neurologist probably.

It is up to you to make the decision, but let it be known your consciousness may not have anything to do with it. So depending on how you define 'you' then sure, whatever. 'You' are in as much control of the decision you make as you are of being in control of the firing of certain synapses, and all the other bodily functions.

Let's say 'you' choose you want to move your hand. Why did you suddenly want to? Did this desire just spring out from nowhere? No. The environmental conditions presented themselves where there was a reason to move your hand that your body recognized. You consciousness has nothing to do with the recognition, it simply is your awareness of your 'desire'. And as such, your body will respond accordingly.

Consciousness doesn't need to be part of the mechanism for decision making. If 'you' were not aware of any reason to move your hand, your body still is, and will still react the same way.

What is left of 'you' is simply a blob of matter organized complexly.

click here

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:44 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;65685 wrote:
You think that because bananas are made up only of molecules, and peersons are made up only of molecules that persons are bananas, too? Why not? In fact, since avalanches are made up of molecules, and bananas are too, avalanches must be bananas.

I can define words that don't refer to anything that exists. So what? But sunrises exist. You can see them (if it is not too cloudy) every morning.

You'll have to ask a physiologist what happens in my brain when I choose. I suppose there is some neural firing. But what has that to do with it, since if the choice is the firing of neurons, and the choice is up to me, then the firing of neurons is up to me.

No I am saying that an avalanche is like a person in that it has no such thing as consciousness as you define it as well as yourself.

So you choose which neurons to fire? What part of your brain tells which neurons to fire?

xris

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 02:47 pm
@click here,
Sorry Click but are you saying that his decissions are predetermined?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 04:47:18