Fate and Free Will - My thoughts (please critique)

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Fate and Free Will - My thoughts (please critique)

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Fri 23 Jan, 2009 02:27 am
I'm not actually sure if I have this in the right category on this site...

I wish to explain how I view fate and free will. I haven't read anything on the topic myself though from high school I remember my 10th grade English teacher once giving us an assignment to explain whether we believed in free will or fate. I was the only kid in the class that didn't pick one or the other. I tried to explain my reasoning but wasn't able to put it into words well. It made sense to me but I couldn't explain it. It's been 2 years now and I just thought I'd toss up some ideas to now try and explain were I'm coming from. Again I don't know what the popular thought is on the topic so please remember that when reading what I've written so simply replying saying "that's what so and so refuted" or "that idea is 100's of years old" I'm not saying I'm expecting that my ideas are to be anything new. Though I wish to put them down before being influenced by reading about what other say on the topic.

Let's define some stuff real quick. I grabbed these definitions off of Dictionary.com

Fate: something that unavoidably befalls a person.
Free will: free and independent choice; voluntary decision
Freedom: (my definition) the ability to partake in things not restrained by makers of the law.

So this is how I see it. I would say that every living thing on earth has free will. When I say that I say that they can choose to make their own decisions that their isn't if you will a marionette type force that makes them do things that they do not wish to do. This does not exclude people put into life threatening situations where someone points a gun to their head and says "do this or I will kill you" I think some would say that that is an act that at that situation would show that free will does not encompass all decisions at all times. Though I would say that just by the way that what the offender worded his phrase to you it is evident that there are at least 2 choices. Simplistically there are 2 choices. 1. Do as he says. 2. Do not do as he says. The victim is the one that makes those choices thus an act of free will. Now he is limited to 2 simplistic choices but the way in which the victim acts while completing those choices can also vary even more to an infinite degree of options. Even if the offender takes a hold of the victim and man handles the person into completing their desires the victim still has the options of whether or not to resist or to comply. Again he has an infinite amount of ways in which he can play out those 2 options. So I would say that this example of a lack of free will is an awful refutation because it is no different then when someone goes through life making all of their daily choices. Yes there is a difference in that the act intervenes with your freedom as a person that is enforced by the government but that is different then free will. You may disagree and I will give this example. You are driving down the road and someone cuts you off and you have to slam on the brakes to keep from colliding with them. No one wishes for someone to cut them off while driving so it's safe to say that it is a negative action directed at you. That negative action may have not been something that you wanted but you wouldn't go so far as to say that my free will was violated by him cutting me off impeding me entirely from maintaining my current speed as I so desired. It would have been impossible for the victim to have maintained their current speed as they so desired. If they did not choose to slow down then they would have rammed into the back of the car and their current speed would have been decreased. [which it would have to be since the only way to make contact with the car is if the driver behind accelerates or the driver in front is decelerating] Either way the instantaneous speed before collision is less then the instantaneous speed after the collision. Of course if the victim slams on the brakes he is slowing down. So its safe to say that his desire of continuing forward without slowing down has been violated. Now back to free will. Is the violation of his desire to continue forward without impedance a violation of his free will. No, his desires and freedom to do as he pleases with in the laws of the government are simply desires. The law does not forbid people to participate in sports. Though someone paralyzed is not able to on their own power participate in sports that does not mean that they don't desire to participate. Let's say that a paralyzed person desires to participate in sports there is nothing stopping them from doing so other then an unavoidable situation that is not able to be circumnavigated. So someones free will is to be restrained by unchangeable forces. Example: Lots of children wish to fly yet it is physically impossible. Being physically impossible is the unchangeable force. I relate this back to the driver his desires are bound by the actions of those around him. Also I will relate this to someone physically being forced into a displeasing act. They do not desire it, though unless they can change the situation so that it is avoidable then it is an unavoidable situation that can not be overcome. So the persons simplistic definition of free will as a freedom is violated but it is only that freedom. So the person who is having their freedom violated in a certain situation does not also have their free will also violated in that situation because free will is not part of that situation. Meaning their free will is neither violated nor observed. In the situation where the child desires to fly you would not say that their free will was violated or observed because their free will is not even present in situations where a decision can not be made with at least 2 options. So in no situation is their ever a violation of free will. Now to tie fate into things.

Fate, repeating the definition again is "something that unavoidably befalls a person" I'm not sure I entirely like that definition because it does not speak the opposite of free will. Is fate merely all unavoidable occurrences? If so then when the person was cut off above while driving they were fated to be cut off yet that doesn't interfere with their free will, that interferes with their freedom. So if fate is merely those unavoidable circumstances then you can easily have free will and fate in the same world as they do not interact at any time on any level. Following that definition you could define free will as the lack of fate. Though I'm not going to talk in depth upon that interpretation of the definition I'm going to talk more about what I have heard others say about what fate is. Some say things like "you were fated to marry that person" by that they mean you could not have chosen other wise. Though the issue with disproving them you run into is that you did already make that decision so you can't say "well your wrong because I won't marry her\him" since you already did. So the person making the statement has an advantage over you whether or not they know or intend to have it. They say it as if they know the future though the future has now become the past so they are simply stating that about the situation. Someone could say "you were fated to do that" about everything that you have done in your past without running into any trouble or so they think because you have already done it. Could you have chosen other wise back when you proposed to said person? Of course you could have their was no force that forced you to complete the act without your say in the matter. If you had chosen other wise the universe would not have exploded, imploded or ceased to exist. That decision would have been your fate. So something does not become fate until you have decided it. I think you can view free will as all things in the future and fate as all things in the past. Fate = History, Free will = Future. How can I say this? Well lets look at an example. When an author has completed a fictitious book and we'll say he has agreed not to update the book with a new printing with changes. (I can't think of an example where a author that published a fictitious book then reprinted with the main character having different qualities for example) Once the book is completed whomever reads the book will always read the same story. The characters in the story will always do the same acts. Though before a reader first finishes the book they do not know what decisions the characters will make nor do the characters in the book know their future. Yet the author knows that by the end of the book exactly what decisions would be made. From the characters point of view he has free choices. Yes he doesn't really have free choices because the author made those choices for him. In a real life example there is no actual author. Even the person making the decisions is not their own author per say because they do not know the decisions that they will make in the future. Though its not hard to say that after the decision has been made that you can't document that decision. It happens all the time in history books where past decisions are put into words. So in a real life example we know that at the end of our life we could write a biography of what we did. Since we can do that we know that there will one day be a time when the decisions in the past have been made. The book may have not been physically written yet though that doesn't mean that it doesn't theoretically exist. Many things can theoretically exist. An invention that has not been invented yet. Even before the idea has been thought up we can be sure that as long as it does not go against laws of nature then without even knowing what the invention is we can safely say that it is a possibility and could definitely be a reality. But it will only be one reality. You can't say that the inventor invented the wrong thing. He invented what he invented. He may have been trying different things to invent one thing and by accident found something else to lead him to another invention but that then is part of the process. Lets say that the reader of this believes in a being that is all knowing. The reader will never be able to do anything that the all knowing being will not foresee. Sometimes when I was little I would play little games where I would be walking straight then go to make a right turn but quickly switch to make a left turn and joke that I had fooled my future. Then I would quickly realize that the entire act of thinking about changing your future heading one way then turning to head the other was all part of my future. The all knowing being will have foreseen that attempt to "change your future" though that attempt wasn't even in the least bit successful in changing the future. It was the future you just didn't know it yet though the all knowing being did. So you can not change the future. You are merely living out what you are already going to do, though since you don't already know it you can't avoid doing it. If time travel were a possibility then it would kill my whole explanation because the person would be able to know their future and since they know their future then they could change it though if they could change it then they didn't actually know their future... blah blah blah yeah good old paradoxes. So we are presupposing that time travel is impossible though I'm not going to philosophically prove that because I don't feel that most believe that time travel is possible. So fate is unavoidable in the sense that you can not choose differently then you are going to choose because you don't know how you will choose though what you do choose is your fate and always is.

So in quick summary. Everyone has the free will to choose to do as they please and the decisions that they make are if you must their "fate".

So as I said earlier in even simpler terms.

Fate = Historical decisions
Free will = Future decisions

I think the problem is that most people view both as matters of future decisions.

What do you think of my arguments or analogies? Do you think I view all angles and answer any issues that would disprove what I say? After reading things over myself it all seems jumbled and messy though I wouldn't know where to start on fixing it up other then rewriting everything.

Thanks for reading! :bigsmile:

kennethamy

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 10:35 am
@click here,
A merchant in Baghdad sends his servant to the marketplace for provisions. Shortly, the servant comes home white and trembling and tells him that in the marketplace he was jostled by a woman, whom he recognized as Death, and she made a threatening gesture. Borrowing the merchant's horse, he flees at top speed to Samarra, a distance of about 75 miles (125 km), where he believes Death will not find him. The merchant then goes to the marketplace and finds Death, and asks why she made the threatening gesture. She replies, "That was not a threatening gesture, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra." (Somerset Maugham).

hammersklavier

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
@click here,
kennethamy, what's the parable supposed to prove? Is it saying that fate guides our decisions in such a way as to make free will impossible? Or is it saying the course of our actions (via free will) determine fate? (I believe that is click here's argument.) The parable offers logical validation to both suppositions.

BrightNoon

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:40 am
@hammersklavier,
The world is mechanistic in that it occurs in a certain manner and not in another. Every 'decision' could be predicted because it is a function of physical activities, albeit incomphrensibly complex ones. That said, we seem to have free will. In my opinion, there is no such thing as free will in the sense that we have idealized it; we cannot do other than we do. However, there is certainly the feeling of free will.

So the simple question, "Do we have free will" cannot be answered in a meaingful way, because the term "free will" has no meaning. It is an imaginary thing. How can we say that we do or do not have something which does not exist? It means nothing. If we adopt a new understanding of the term, defining it as the feeling, the appearance of "free will", then the answer is "Yes, we do have free will."

Bones-O

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 09:46 am
@click here,
Well, let us say that a neighbour drops a five pound/dollar/euro/whatever note. We are presented with possible (as opposed to potential) courses of action: We might alert the neighbour to their carelessness; We might pick up the fiver and keep it for ourselves.

If God had not granted us free will, the latter would generally not be an option (we'll grant that God has the power to will us to do wrong, but let's assume this is an exception to the rule). Thus we would have only one possible course and no decision.

If the Universe time-evolves in a deterministic way, then whichever of the two possibilities is settled upon was predestined (by starting conditions, the exact system, the form of the propagator) to settle upon that decision: that is, by specifying all of the exact parameters of all contributing factors, one would in principle be able to determine our actions (assume a non-QM limit, so no HUP problems). This is why I rejected the idea of 'potential' courses.

However, of these contributing factors is necessarily the number of possible courses. If my options are limited to A and B due to referred will (or lack of free will), I cannot choose C. However C might be the precise course settled upon deterministically [edit]: in the absence of an external will.

So I would argue that free will is alive and well, and I'm not even religious. The terming of it 'free will' is undeniably archaic, but its meaning is comprehensible and its validity assured even in a Godless, deterministic Universe: the ability to maximise our possibilities, as opposed to having our possibilities limited by an external will. Hypnosis, for instance, may severely infringe upon free will. Moreover, free will and fate are not incompatible: in fact, in a deterministic Universe, free will necessarily contributes to eventual outcomes.

xris

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 11:34 am
@Bones-O,
Firstly you have to take god out of the equation as he is unknown to us..secondly we have to admit that the future is foreseeable..lastly, its a matter of faith whether you believe you have a soul that can determine your path.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 12:43 pm
@hammersklavier,
hammersklavier wrote:
kennethamy, what's the parable supposed to prove? Is it saying that fate guides our decisions in such a way as to make free will impossible? Or is it saying the course of our actions (via free will) determine fate? (I believe that is click here's argument.) The parable offers logical validation to both suppositions.

I don't think it is supposed to prove anything. It is supposed to illustrate, though, what fatalism is. The servant tries to avoid his fate (Death) but whatever he does, he cannot do so. So, fatalism is the doctrine that nothing that a person can do, can avoid what will happen, and so, human beings are impotent. The question is whether that is true. and whether we don't have evidence that people can do things to avoid what will happen. And, of course, we do. If a soldier dons his flack jacket, that is because he believes that doing so will help protect him, and that it is more likely he will avoid injury if he does so than if he neglects to do so. And, of course, there is a lot of evidence that is true. Statistically speaking, taking precautionary measures to avoid injury is effective. Don't you agree? So, it looks as if there is a lot of evidence that fatalism is false.

Bones-O

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 06:48 pm
@click here,
None of that is surely evidence that fatalism is false. Just because you can imagine a future in which the solider didn't wear a flak jacket and was shot, doesn't mean that this future was writ and in ensuring that he does wear one means he has 'changed' the future. A fatalist viewpoint would demand that said soldier was always going to have worn the jacket. Or if he doesn't wear it, that he was always going to not wear it. Whichever outcome occurs, that was the outcome that was inevitable. That's fatalism.

xris

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 04:56 am
@Bones-O,
Ive always thought the future was not written till i dreamt the lottery numbers, I did not take it seriously by the way to my cost,and it made me rethink my beliefs...I had to try and come to terms with my dilemma. I now see the future just like a train journey.If you can imagine getting on a train , we make all types of decisions while on that train but certain events are out of our control such as the stations it stops at, the food for sale, the people we meet.We have limited paths but we can choose how we respond within those confines.Every examination asks certain questions for us to answer and we answer in life to our chosen route and hopefully learn..

click here

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:21 am
@Bones-O,
I think that maybe my ideas are sort of fatalistic but not like the harsh examples that are thrown forth about it. Those involve logical issues with time travel. Like in the above example. "death" knew ahead of time what the servant would do. and the reader thinks "well it hasn't happened yet though we know that it will happen." the problem is that we can't know that it will happen yet because of a time travel issue. secondly as I said in my OP if the servant knew what would happen then they would choose not to go to Sammara and death would have been wrong in foretelling the future.

my lean towards fatalism i guess is that you merely choose that which you will end up having chosen once you look back at your past.

Bones-O! wrote:
Well, let us say that a neighbour drops a five pound/dollar/euro/whatever note. We are presented with possible (as opposed to potential) courses of action: We might alert the neighbour to their carelessness; We might pick up the fiver and keep it for ourselves.

If God had not granted us free will, the latter would generally not be an option (we'll grant that God has the power to will us to do wrong, but let's assume this is an exception to the rule). Thus we would have only one possible course and no decision.

If the Universe time-evolves in a deterministic way, then whichever of the two possibilities is settled upon was predestined (by starting conditions, the exact system, the form of the propagator) to settle upon that decision: that is, by specifying all of the exact parameters of all contributing factors, one would in principle be able to determine our actions (assume a non-QM limit, so no HUP problems). This is why I rejected the idea of 'potential' courses.

However, of these contributing factors is necessarily the number of possible courses. If my options are limited to A and B due to referred will (or lack of free will), I cannot choose C. However C might be the precise course settled upon deterministically [edit]: in the absence of an external will.

So I would argue that free will is alive and well, and I'm not even religious. The terming of it 'free will' is undeniably archaic, but its meaning is comprehensible and its validity assured even in a Godless, deterministic Universe: the ability to maximise our possibilities, as opposed to having our possibilities limited by an external will. Hypnosis, for instance, may severely infringe upon free will. Moreover, free will and fate are not incompatible: in fact, in a deterministic Universe, free will necessarily contributes to eventual outcomes.

As to what you say about hypnosis from what I've heard about it it is not possible to hypnotize you into doing something you wouldn't want to do. From what I hear it's kind of more along the lines of drinking a few beers. You become looser and have less fear about talking about certain things etc...

Bones-O

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:51 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
t which you will end up having chosen once you look back at your past.

Much like quantum theory: you can't determine the future but you can see when it happens how you got there.

click here wrote:

As to what you say about hypnosis from what I've heard about it it is not possible to hypnotize you into doing something you wouldn't want to do. From what I hear it's kind of more along the lines of drinking a few beers. You become looser and have less fear about talking about certain things etc...

I've seen much more startling results than that: For instance, a man was hypnotised into feeling that he could not go back to his seat after the demonstration by a direct route. This is precisely what happened.

click here

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:24 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:

I've seen much more startling results than that: For instance, a man was hypnotised into feeling that he could not go back to his seat after the demonstration by a direct route. This is precisely what happened.

Can you be sure though that that was actual hypnotism? I have seen shows that claim to hypnotize people into doing crazy things but they are all actors.

Bones-O

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:31 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
Can you be sure though that that was actual hypnotism? I have seen shows that claim to hypnotize people into doing crazy things but they are all actors.

No, I don't claim to believe in hypnotism any more than God, but I don't claim it cannot exist either, thus instances where one cannot choose applicable possibilities due to some external agent are entertained. I certainly don't think we can discount them simply because that suits a point of view.

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 09:55 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
None of that is surely evidence that fatalism is false. Just because you can imagine a future in which the solider didn't wear a flak jacket and was shot, doesn't mean that this future was writ and in ensuring that he does wear one means he has 'changed' the future. A fatalist viewpoint would demand that said soldier was always going to have worn the jacket. Or if he doesn't wear it, that he was always going to not wear it. Whichever outcome occurs, that was the outcome that was inevitable. That's fatalism.

But if we did not have statistical evidence that putting on flack jackets make it less likely that you will be wounded, then why would anyone buy or wear them? Are you saying that flack jackets do not work?

The fatalist says that no matter what anyone does, he cannot change what will happen. As in the Death parable. Not just "whatever happens will happen". That is just a tautology. Fatalism is not what is called determinism. In fact, it is inconsistent with determinism.

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:58 am
@kennethamy,
Well then, 'Fatalism,' as you define it, is the silliest idea I've ever come across. To deny that human 'choices' have effects is just stupid. The question is whether or not human beings can 'choose' which 'choices' they make, so to speak. In other words, can circumstances be different than they are; can events proceed other than they do? I say no, that is nonsense; nothing but soul-superstition. People can create all the "what if" scenarioes they like, they prove nothing.

For Example:

Before John went to bed on Monday night, he noticed something was odd about his alarm clock, a light was blinking. "O, well" he thought, "I'm already in bed, it'll wait." The next day his alarm failed to go off because the batteries were dead. Consequently John missed his apppintment with the Law Firm of Steimy, Stummer and Stigglefritz and ultimately, his chance to run for President of the United States.

So, did John's 'choice' to ignore the flashing light on his alarm one monday night change the course of events in the world? Yes. Could john have done otherwise though, could he have chosen to check the batteries? I don't see why we would make that assumption.

xris

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:08 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Well then, 'Fatalism,' as you define it, is the silliest idea I've ever come across. To deny that human 'choices' have effects is just stupid. The question is whether or not human beings can 'choose' which 'choices' they make, so to speak. In other words, can circumstances be different than they are; can events proceed other than they do? I say no, that is nonsense; nothing but soul-superstition. People can create all the "what if" scenarioes they like, they prove nothing.

For Example:

Before John went to bed on Monday night, he noticed something was odd about his alarm clock, a light was blinking. "O, well" he thought, "I'm already in bed, it'll wait." The next day his alarm failed to go off because the batteries were dead. Consequently John missed his apppintment with the Law Firm of Steimy, Stummer and Stigglefritz and ultimately, his chance to run for President of the United States.

So, did John's 'choice' to ignore the flashing light on his alarm one monday night change the course of events in the world? Yes. Could john have done otherwise though, could he have chosen to check the batteries? I don't see why we would make that assumption.
I have the soul probability theory in my pocket and free will because of that theory but also its possible that the future can be fatalistic.Ive never heard of that law firm do they employ future presidents often ?

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:12 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:

For Example:

Very well, you are not a fatalist, but a lot of people, especially in the East, are. In fact, that is one explanation for why they have been so backward in science, and why science began in the West.

Apparently, though you are a determinist. But apparently you do not think that John could have set the alarm if he had chosen to do so. Why? Who was stopping him from doing it, or even from choosing to do it?

BrightNoon

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:09 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Apparently, though you are a determinist. But apparently you do not think that John could have set the alarm if he had chosen to do so. Why? Who was stopping him from doing it, or even from choosing to do it?

There is no such thing as possibility in reality; the words could and if are devices of our own creation, formula by which we can calculate, which are useful in expressing our uncertainty, in cases when we have narrowed down our predictions to more than one outcome. That is all. There is no reason tto assume that John could have made the other choice. He may have thought about the ramifications of both choices, evaluated their importance and then made the decision, but he had to go through that process of thought in such a way that concluded with the decision not to check the alarm.

I don't understand how one can deny this, unless assumes there is a soul, or free-will which magically excepts itself form the causation everywhere apparent in the world. If a boat puts up its sail, we may not be able to predict exactly where it will go, but does anyone deny that the course of the boat is the direct product of factors in the wind, water, shape of the boat, etc.? If we had complete knowledge of those factors affecting the boat, we could predict its course. In the same way, does anyone deny that muscles, tendons, ligaments and nerves mechanically/chemically caused johns movements? You might say, well, his decision was affected by his personality as well. I would respond; his personality is likewise a function of causal factors such as his birthplace, the sound of his mother's voice, his genes, the habits of his older brother, etc AND NOT something magical exempt from reality like the 'soul.' Of course, all those factors are in turn the product of other factors and so on.

As for fatalism, as you are considering it seperate from determinism, it makes no sense whatever. I don't think anyone believes this. In order to be a fatalist of this sort, one would have to believe that John's 'choice' did not cause his to miss his meeting. How could one make thid assumption? It would be like seeing a cue ball pocket the 8-ball and then claim that the cue ball did not pocket the 8-ball! Of course, this misses the whole point about free will, so its not very philosophically interesting, but nonetheless, I'm curious who would think this. Basically it is denial of everything in the world, a failure rto recognize that 'things occur.' ???

kennethamy

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:39 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
There is no reason tto assume that John could have made the other choice. He may have thought about the ramifications of both choices, evaluated their importance and then made the decision, but he had to go through that process of thought in such a way that concluded with the decision not to check the alarm.

And I see no reason why John could not have done something else if he had chosen to do so. And why he could not have made another choice. Not, of course, in exactly the same circumstances. But why should anyone suppose he could have? And why would anyone want to do so, anyway? And what would that have to do with free will? Clearly, if determinism is true, he could not have made a different choice in the very same circumstances. But, so what? That is not what free will means. I think you are a closet fatalist since you seem to think that John could have done nothing to avoid his fate.

click here

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 01:40 pm
@click here,
I think that Brightnoon is saying that it is not that John has some marionette force that makes him not check his alarm. It is that EVERY single thing that led up to that made him choose not to check his alarm. Brightnoon says this because he beleives as Dawkins also believe "DNA neither knows nor cares. DNA just is. And we dance to its music" Which makes sense to me if you don't believe there is a soul. So to Brightnoon he would see us being no different then how a pinball machine works humans being the ball. The ball can not decide where it goes its direction is affected by everything around it.

So I think this boils down to do you believe that humans have a 'soul' or that humans are merely dancing to the tune of their DNA. If the latter that makes morals interesting as well but thats different. I do remember someone saying once that when an avalanche causes someones death we do not call that avalanche evil since it has no control. We are just complex avalanches if we have no soul. We have no control over what we do then.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Metaphysics
  3. » Fate and Free Will - My thoughts (please critique)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:03:21