Determinism and the butterfly effect

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 08:19 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
I'm making the example simplistic so you understand the concept. Do you agree with the conclusion of my example. You wanna get somewhere, start there.

You want to get to the storm/butterfly emerging scenario, well so do I but you won't take that right off the bat so I'm giving you a simpler scenario.

So you except my conclusion about the book and the butterfly and the fan?
Its simple enough but not correct and you know it..Certain events can be triggered by very small additions but a butterfly and a hurricane no way Jose..There is no one with sufficient logic that can convince me that a butterflies addition would make the slightest difference to an accumulation of meteorological activity.

click here

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:01 am
@xris,
Alan McDougall wrote:
click here

I repost this comment of mine for you to refute if you can?

If they bring me the actual tiny Butterfield that caused a cyclone or tornado on the other side of the world from where if first flapped its very dangerous little wings, then and only then will my little doggy ears rise up like radar antennas and only then will I worry about it or take even the minutest interest in what is an unprovable theory, yes it is just a theory no one has proved it and no one can ever prove it. :bigsmile:

If we take this theory to the limit, then why cant the little butterfly somewhere in China, by flapping its tiny wings, bring down and destroy the whole universe , why not?, we just need to extrapolate the theory don't we

It is not an unprovable theory. It is blatently conceptually possible to prove, yet next to impossible to do so because of the amount of data needed to do so but again not impossible. If there was an omnipotent being onmiscient it could calculate it in the blink of an eye exactly because it would have all the data necessary to make such a calculation. You are disregarding it because we haven't produced visible evidence for you. The limits of mankind do not disprove something simply because we can not calculate it. It is as if you are saying "well you can't disprove that the lochness monster does not exist even if you searched the entire lake all at one time."

I think you are misunderstanding chaos theory still. If you do understand it then you are unknowingly disregarding scientific laws.

xris wrote:
Its simple enough but not correct and you know it..Certain events can be triggered by very small additions but a butterfly and a hurricane no way Jose..There is no one with sufficient logic that can convince me that a butterflies addition would make the slightest difference to an accumulation of meteorological activity.

Well then you are obviously disregarding science and we might as well cease discusion. You hold so dearly to science in a thread on ID but push it away when you do not like the implications of it on another topic.

xris

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:55 pm
@click here,
click here wrote:
It is not an unprovable theory. It is blatently conceptually possible to prove, yet next to impossible to do so because of the amount of data needed to do so but again not impossible. If there was an omnipotent being onmiscient it could calculate it in the blink of an eye exactly because it would have all the data necessary to make such a calculation. You are disregarding it because we haven't produced visible evidence for you. The limits of mankind do not disprove something simply because we can not calculate it. It is as if you are saying "well you can't disprove that the lochness monster does not exist even if you searched the entire lake all at one time."

I think you are misunderstanding chaos theory still. If you do understand it then you are unknowingly disregarding scientific laws.

Well then you are obviously disregarding science and we might as well cease discusion. You hold so dearly to science in a thread on ID but push it away when you do not like the implications of it on another topic.
Disregard science..:perplexed: you who proposed that man was made in less than a day:perplexed:i dont ever disregard science , the science of logic. You can not give me the evidence of your proposed theory just rhetoric..i dont blame you for retiring , an impossible task it only ever requested you withdraw from the debate..

click here

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:02 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Disregard science..:perplexed: you who proposed that man was made in less than a day:perplexed:i dont ever disregard science , the science of logic. You can not give me the evidence of your proposed theory just rhetoric..i dont blame you for retiring , an impossible task it only ever requested you withdraw from the debate..

Yes, disregard science, and not only that but without any explanation as to why.

You said earlier:

xris wrote:

There is no one with sufficient logic that can convince me that a butterflies addition would make the slightest difference to an accumulation of meteorological activity.

In saying that you are making an absolute statement that a butterfly has no effect what so ever in the environment that it exists specifically in relation to the flap of its wings.

That is a blatant rejection of the law of conservation of energy which is science, hence the science that you reject.

Not only do you reject it but you reject it without reason.

My beliefs have no relevance here as I do not hold to the presuppositions stated at the beginning of this thread. You, I can only assume do. If you do not, you have not stated that, and you surely have not given a reason why you do not agree with the presuppositions.

You are making ridiculous demands for evidence. It is as if you are telling someone that if they jump up in the air it can not be known that they will fall down to the ground even though you presuppose the truth of gravity. So in every situation you will not believe it until you see it, each new time someone jumps, you will refuse to accept that gravity will take hold unless you see it again.

xris

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 03:18 am
@click here,
I am not saying that the butterfly has no effect on its surroundings everything is related in the greater scheme of things BUT i dont believe a butterfly flapping his wings can influence the weather in even the smallest of terms.Exaggerations never tell the truth and are only for musing.I can be persuaded but only by scientific logic not grand insignificant statements.The final snow drop on a branch, a final breath of wind on a leaf they are all pivotal moments but a butterfly can not instigate or even turn a breeze into a gust..

click here

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 04:53 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I am not saying that the butterfly has no effect on its surroundings everything is related in the greater scheme of things BUT i dont believe a butterfly flapping his wings can influence the weather in even the smallest of terms.Exaggerations never tell the truth and are only for musing.I can be persuaded but only by scientific logic not grand insignificant statements.The final snow drop on a branch, a final breath of wind on a leaf they are all pivotal moments but a butterfly can not instigate or even turn a breeze into a gust..

Sure it can influence the weather in small terms. Any 'large' actions (huricane, volcano, blizzard) are all a combination of the smallest of particles all being viewed of their effects in unison.

xris, I would really like to hear your opinions towards free will and consciousness one of these days.

xris

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:04 am
@click here,
click here wrote:
Sure it can influence the weather in small terms. Any 'large' actions (huricane, volcano, blizzard) are all a combination of the smallest of particles all being viewed of their effects in unison.

xris, I would really like to hear your opinions towards free will and consciousness one of these days.
Start a thread and ide be only to happy to give you my opinions..

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 12:35 am
@xris,
Click Here:

You're absolutely correct. People seemt to assume that an event with a myriad of extremely complex causes is in fact the product of chance, free will or some such thing. The Butterfly Effect and determinism are in no way mutualy exclusive. Chaos theory is nothing but the science of paying more attention to details and doing more complex calculations. My favorite tactic to deal with the 'free-willers' (not to be confused with free-willy :bigsmile:) is simple; I ask them what the term 'free-will' means. As they tend not to be able to provide a definition that is neither circular nor meaningless...

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:15 am
@c n conquer,
click here

Quote:
The butterfly effect does not state that 1 butterfly is soley responsible for the creation of a tornado. It is stating that that butterfly could be the one grain of rice to tip the scale. It is by definition true.

Respectfully "could be" is not science but I concede the philosophical thinking around this topic of chaos theory, chaos is just another word for entropy if you think about it, cause and effect etc

xris

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:17 am
@Alan McDougall,
Everything causes everything else then, is that the proposition?When does fact become silliness and silliness fact.Certain causes and effects are reasonable assumptions but others are pure semantics.I question the validity of the proposal that a butterfly can alter the weather pattern in even the smallest amount..but i can be persuaded by logic not semantics.

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 01:33 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Everything causes everything else then, is that the proposition?When does fact become silliness and silliness fact.Certain causes and effects are reasonable assumptions but others are pure semantics.I question the validity of the proposal that a butterfly can alter the weather pattern in even the smallest amount..but i can be persuaded by logic not semantics.

In my option there must be an "UNCAUSED CAUSE" BEHIND EXISTENCE Maybe this entity started the universe like an infinite row of dominoes

I call it the alpha point

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2009 03:28 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:

It dosen't matter if a butterfly can actually cause a tornado. That's just a theoretical example. Thinking about it in human terms could be much simpler. Imagine if Hitler had slightly better musculature in his right hand, which may have enabled him to draw better, which may have enabled him to be accepted to art school, which would have prevented him from ever joining the NAZI party, which would have prevented the second world war, which means no nuclear weapon would have been dropped on Nagasaki. So, a minute deficiency in some muscle tissue in Austria caused a massive nuclear explosion half way around the world. The idea is just that; small causes can, under the right circumstances, have very large effects. There's really nothing revolutionairy about that.

hammersklavier

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 09:31 am
@click here,
I'm not sure how the "butterfly effect" analogy plays into this, but since I recently did a paper relating chaos theory to Hume, let me remind people what chaos theory is:
Quote:
In mathematics, chaos theory describes the behavior of certain dynamical systems - that is, systems whose states evolve with time - that may exhibit dynamics that are highly sensitive to initial conditions (popularly referred to as the butterfly effect). As a result of this sensitivity, which manifests itself as an exponential growth of perturbations in the initial conditions, the behavior of chaotic systems appears to be random. This happens even though these systems are deterministic, meaning that their future dynamics are fully defined by their initial conditions, with no random elements involved, this behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.

Chaos theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is, quite simply, from only a few initial conditions, tens of thousands of varying effects can unfold.

What I said in my paper, by the way, was that Humean human morality was dependent on chaos theory: through a very few initial conditions and initial perturbators, human minds can become vastly disparate. Those that lean towards societal norms are "moral" or "good" minds; those against "immoral" or "bad" ones.

xris

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 10:41 am
@hammersklavier,
To accept that certain small events in a chaotic world can have enormous and long lasting effects is not rocket science and not very revealing to those who have studied any historic event.
My problem with this theory is that it gives the impression that every small event contributes to world events.It gives the impression that a butterfly can or could create a significant change in the weather, it cant.Its the wrong example,it makes the probable look seriously questionable.

Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 1 May, 2009 04:50 pm
@click here,
To biggest butterfly that ever flew was the Big Bang!

xris

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 03:29 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
To biggest butterfly that ever flew was the Big Bang!
I don't think that's a good example Alan, it was hardly insignificant.

Alan McDougall

Reply Sat 2 May, 2009 10:07 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
I don't think that's a good example Alan, it was hardly insignificant.

Just having a little fun xris :bigsmile:

But can we ever draw a line between what can significantly effect the outcome, by trying to find the true source of a tornado by investigations into its prime cause in the retrospect?

Or simply put, can we ever find the illusive butterfly

There is great song song "The Illusive Butterfly of Love" Not kidding

BrightNoon

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:44 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
To accept that certain small events in a chaotic world can have enormous and long lasting effects is not rocket science and not very revealing to those who have studied any historic event.
My problem with this theory is that it gives the impression that every small event contributes to world events.It gives the impression that a butterfly can or could create a significant change in the weather, it cant.Its the wrong example,it makes the probable look seriously questionable.

I don't understand how you can acknowledge that 'small events in a chaotic world can have enormous and long lasting effects' but then deny that a butterfly could significantly change the whether. Maybe a butterfly never has, but why is it impossible that it could? I'm sure one could make a computer model of some weather pattern on the extremely narrow edge of a radical tipping point, introduce a butterfly, and show that its activitity (which let's say increases the air pressure by a fraction in just the right region of the storm system) could be the difference between a tornado and no tornado.

xris

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 04:07 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
I don't understand how you can acknowledge that 'small events in a chaotic world can have enormous and long lasting effects' but then deny that a butterfly could significantly change the whether. Maybe a butterfly never has, but why is it impossible that it could? I'm sure one could make a computer model of some weather pattern on the extremely narrow edge of a radical tipping point, introduce a butterfly, and show that its activitity (which let's say increases the air pressure by a fraction in just the right region of the storm system) could be the difference between a tornado and no tornado.
Go for it, give me the scenario and how the weather pattern altered because a butterfly flapped his wing.Ill give you a little creative invention for effect.

Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 01:50 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
Go for it, give me the scenario and how the weather pattern altered because a butterfly flapped his wing.Ill give you a little creative invention for effect.

That is exactly my point xris , if we could find the illusive butterfly we could turn it into a deadly weapon, let it flap in a precise calculated location and just sit back and wait for the chaos effect to destroy our enemies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 07:13:42