Do we have control over our actions?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:13 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;27597 wrote:
... I dunno ... that almost sounds like saying, "Literally, each of us may be our chemistry, nothing more, nothing less." ... when my wife walks into a room and I'm playing with the kids, I'm happy to see her; when she walks into a room and I've been agonizing over a problem for the last eight hours, I do not want to be bothered ... there's a whole range of responses in between, and each initial response has an infinity of contingent branches flowing off into an unknowable future ... do those sound like limited programmed responses? ...

I don't think Lilly was saying that our responses are limited, but rather that the programs to generate those responses are limited.

To me it seems a bit like this: Introduction to the Mandelbrot Set

I could be way off base though on the whole thing. Math is not my forte... If I can balance my bank account I feel like Einstein.

AtheistDeity

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:24 pm
@ariciunervos,
Is it a trend or something not to answer questions... not particularly directed at anyone, but it sure has happened alot...

paulhanke

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 09:49 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I don't think Lilly was saying that our responses are limited, but rather that the programs to generate those responses are limited.

... could be that I just have a bad "programmed response" to the use of the word "programmed" Wink ... too strong an implication of a "programmer" (to write the program) and a "CPU" (to execute the program) for me ... as well, too strong an association with good old-fashioned artificial intelligence (GOFAI), whose crowning achievement (Big Blue) was more a result of supercomputing hardware than any "intelligence" in the programming.

As for the Mandelbrot Set, you're definitely on to something there ... that anything so intricate and beautiful can erupt from a single simple equation is beyond intuition ... but the intricacy and beauty of life is also beyond intuition - and something tells me that there's a connection between the two. Smile

TickTockMan

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:17 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke;27604 wrote:
... could be that I just have a bad "programmed response" to the use of the word "programmed" Wink ... too strong an implication of a "programmer" (to write the program) and a "CPU" (to execute the program) for me ...

If I remember correctly, even though as I noted it's been at least 25 years since I really read Lilly's materials, he postulated that we, as individuals, can be our own programmers. I also seem to remember that he hung out with Timothy Leary a lot as well, who also had a variety of interesting thoughts on human consciousness.

paulhanke

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 10:23 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan wrote:
I also seem to remember that he hung out with Timothy Leary a lot as well, who also had a variety of interesting thoughts on human consciousness.

... and a variety of interesting ways of exploring those thoughts, as well Wink ...

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:11 am
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;27590I'm on dial-up and it was taking an eternity: [URL="http://www.scribd.com/doc/3268266/John-C-Lilly-Metaprogramming-in-the-Human-Biocomputer" wrote:
John C. Lilly - Metaprogramming in the Human Biocomputer[/URL]

They still have dialup?

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 02:12 am
@AtheistDeity,
AtheistDeity wrote:
Is it a trend or something not to answer questions... not particularly directed at anyone, but it sure has happened alot...

Try writing him with a PM and a link to the question that he missed.

zolasdisciple

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 12:57 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
i belive we have control as far as the non supernatural goes.

boagie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@zolasdisciple,
Smile
If I had control, I would be emperor, with a host of virgins!!Laughing

Rose phil

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 02:39 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik;25807 wrote:
A nameless member stated that we have no control over our actions, and that if we think that we do then it is our Ego talking.

To me this is a rediculous question and a rediculous answer. If we cannot be accountable for our actions, then we cannot hold anyone responsible for anything.

There are many people who still don't take responsibility for their own words and actions. People who are quite happy to blame anyone but themselves for the mess they find themselves in. Anyone wanting to grow physically and spiritually must take responsibility for their own words and action.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 07/27/2024 at 12:23:52