Donkey and Carrot

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

jack phil

Reply Mon 1 Mar, 2010 03:59 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;114170 wrote:
I have tried to step outside myself and play psychologist. I like to use the carrot on a stick and donkey analogy. The carrot is our ideal. The donkey is the rest of us. Movement. I also like to use the symbol "o" for this carrot. Are we programmed to seek the transcendent, the heroic, the ethical? Is there a culture drive in man? My theory is that there is, but it's application is flexible. Therefore we have wars and arguments, all powered, in theory, by the same energy, the same "carrot" behind it all in different masks. Yes, my theory implies that carrots wear masks.

My theory is that this carrot-desire is inescapable, so I could not even formulate my theory if this theory were not in service of my ideal of myself as "heroic psychologist who faces ugly truths." But to see this from the outside forces me more into an ironic or comic role. Anyone relate to this theory? Are we all chasing the carrot? Are we hardwired to do so?

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/q-donkey-carrot-stick.jpg

Well, you could not write anything more truthful about yourself than you are. But that is not to say you cannot become more honest. Keep up the good work.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:29 am
@jack phil,
jack;134199 wrote:
Well, you could not write anything more truthful about yourself than you are. But that is not to say you cannot become more honest. Keep up the good work.

Since then, jack, I actually have become more honest, or at least more self-aware.....

William

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 08:09 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;114170 wrote:
I have tried to step outside myself and play psychologist. I like to use the carrot on a stick and donkey analogy. The carrot is our ideal. The donkey is the rest of us. Movement. I also like to use the symbol "o" for this carrot. Are we programmed to seek the transcendent, the heroic, the ethical? Is there a culture drive in man? My theory is that there is, but it's application is flexible. Therefore we have wars and arguments, all powered, in theory, by the same energy, the same "carrot" behind it all in different masks. Yes, my theory implies that carrots wear masks.

My theory is that this carrot-desire is inescapable, so I could not even formulate my theory if this theory were not in service of my ideal of myself as "heroic psychologist who faces ugly truths." But to see this from the outside forces me more into an ironic or comic role. Anyone relate to this theory? Are we all chasing the carrot? Are we hardwired to do so?

http://www.mattwardman.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/q-donkey-carrot-stick.jpg

Ha, your link is humorous and unfortunately very real. Let me ask you to think about the difference in entrapment and incentive and how the two can be mistaken for one another. One is seduction, one is not. You are accurate the carrot has many many faces.

William

bmcreider

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 12:38 am
@Reconstructo,
Don't you get something out of the deal with incentive? A donkey chasing a carrot has no incentive, as it never receives anything for its work. If you work for nothing, what incentive is there? It is entrapment, at least according to the pictorial representation provided in the link Wink.

Reconstructo

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2010 01:02 am
@William,
William;134562 wrote:
Ha, your link is humorous and unfortunately very real. Let me ask you to think about the difference in entrapment and incentive and how the two can be mistaken for one another. One is seduction, one is not. You are accurate the carrot has many many faces.

William

I think that the carrot becomes more like the truth as we chase it. But maybe only for certain lucky humans. I've moved from an atheistic satanism (selfish but not cruel) to an ultra-rational gnostic sort of Christianity. (which is really Hegelianism with some of my own modifications...)...So the carrot changes over time, and this is what Hegel is all about..

So my religion is science and my science is religion. But there are plenty of drug addicts who will die tonight that never get a chance to evolve.

Somehow that's alright, though sad, because the eternal in man survives. the body survives the death of its cells.

I think a man must go thru seduction and entrapment, but somehow not get stuck. Enough of a spiritual drive will a keep a man unsatisified...keep him looking.. and this is just the carrot changing, looking for truth.

man is a lie that wants to be a truth. and finally he becomes this truth (hegel in a nutshell)

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 01:46:50