Why do humans create morals?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:05 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104708 wrote:
I disagree that community automatically equals morality. People can cooperate for both moral and immoral reasons, and the collectivist socio-political philosophy can often lead to a mob mentality. This mob mentality can also serve to suppress the values of the individual.

This thing we are talking is crystaline in structure, like a prism, it reflects its inner sides... Well we know society is polysemous, and we know it is polymorphic and many facited...We look into community and see morality; and I agree that communities often do what is wrong and self defeating, and this out of a morality which should lead to justice and survival... Morals has to do with each person's relationship to their society...It may have become a value of judgement from the point of the larger society, or from the eyes of humanity; but what is moral in one relationship to one community is always moral, even and especially if others do not like it... If you are a part of the Yahoo community everyone else in the world wants you to politely drop dead... But, it is moral to find how to live as individuals to ensure the survival of ones community, or die trying...Morally, the individual is a value of nothing, and only when the community is preserved is the individual safe... We have survived together from the beginning... We are naturally moral, as loyal as dogs and more dangerous; but only when each person is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the life of society is the individual safe...

For culture to survive, for the knowledge of society to survive the individuals and their society must be moral... Even today we see that no culture is safe, and many peoples are being run over...Yet, we see where the legal expression of morality actually breaks communities apart by treating all as individuals having individual rights, so communities lose their cohesion, and identity- so that their cutlure and knowledge die...Individuals are no impediment to the will of communities organized ad hoc...Whether one is fighting city hall or a corporation the end is certain....The ultimate moral is the life of the community, because when the community dies the individual has lost his protection...Look at all formed communities, parties, associations, or clubs... The tribal gang leader fights as much for the rights of his community as any ancient chief; and it is this defense of life and rights that makes communities...

mister kitten

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 05:57 pm
@Kroni,
Kroni;103041 wrote:
The social contract is flawed because it demands that following morals should result in the best possible result for everyone, yet we will still choose to save the life of a family member over our retirement money. This implies that to us having that person around is more important than our ability to minimize financial conflict, which means that there is a deeper reason for why we develop our moral attitudes.

Having money is more important than saving 'your child'?

jeeprs

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 06:42 pm
@Fido,
Fido;104643 wrote:
Durkheim was getting paid by the word..

care to elaborate on that?

salima

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:46 pm
@Kroni,
how would anyone know if morality or religion came first in human history?

Fido

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 11:08 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104748 wrote:
care to elaborate on that?
If Durkheim actually coined words like social facts, or accumulated social facts it must be because he was paid for it because we have a perfectly good word for the phenomenon, as described and that is culture, the German word for civilization...For each of us it is the same, and a fact, as the Latins might say: a done deal; but that does not mean the old word meaning all that the new word means should be replaced by the new word...

It is true that society may well be considered of as a conceptual manifold, yet as we have it given to us as infants, society is a single thing, which is to say real, and not at all conceptual...And we kinow from the view of history that societies do change, and often differ radically one from another; but what we see, what most people see is fixed, and personal since we relate to our society and no others, usually...The philosopher, or anthropoligist enjoys a certain latitude in their perspective of society which very few can share...What all these societies, these social forms have in common is morality, which is specific to the form, and that is the vitality, the life of the form because when morality become immorality the society dies...

What the historians Will and Arial Durrant said of morals in The Lessons of History is worth reading..."No one man, however brilliant or well informed, can come in one life time to such a fullness of understanding as to safely judge and dismiss the customs or institutions of his society, for these are the wisdom of generations after centuries of experiments in the laboritory of history... " The simple fact is that the past learned by trial and error, and culture as morality is our means of learning by example...But when we first learn morality it is by rote, and our first motivation to learn is love... We are told what morality is, expected to remember it, and then are corrected with a strap...

We can add but little in the course of a long and diligent life to the knowledge of society while virtually all we know is the gift of society and gained at great expense...I would insert millenium where the Durrants say 'centuries'...People have been human for a very long time, Moral always; and our knowledge is passed as forms through culture... What the past wanted for itself it wanted for us, to have health, wealth, children and longevity... Survival is the point of morality, and survival is the gift of culture... And we need no new words for it, but to define correctly our older terms...

---------- Post added 11-21-2009 at 12:17 AM ----------

salima;104775 wrote:

You must understand that they are two different notions...Our morality grows out of our knowledge, and our religon grows out of our ignorance...If the incest taboo was justified in terms of God's wrath for a perceived sin, the perception of sin rested on observed facts; that incest resulted in birth defects...I think it is obvious that religion is a part of culture, and that culture is the source of morals...Consider religion as a very durable hypothesis of the working of the universe, and that without it science would have been an impossible leap for primitive mankind...Religion is a third step after animism and spiritualism, which are both spiritual conceptions of reality... But; by the time these quasi concepts became part of our lives, not historically, but prehistorically, we had been around for a long time, and one would presume living moral lives since we survived...

hue-man

Reply Sat 21 Nov, 2009 11:37 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;104731 wrote:
I never said that moral judgments aren't reflective of moral positions. What I did say was that when we make a moral judgment, and specifically when we construct a model of ethics, we reason. We're interpreting the feelings from which the morals are derived i.e. A is bad because A causes B, and A is worse than C because C only causes D, and so on.

I wasn't saying that you said moral judgments aren't reflective of moral positions. I was trying to say that I see little to no difference between morals and moral judgments.

Zetherin;104731 wrote:
I know of no human coummunity that is held together by hate. I also don't know if we would even call such a gathering of humans, a community.

How about Al-Qaeda, KKK, Neo-Nazis, and other hate groups? A community is defined as a unified group of people cooperating or communicating for common interests. People can form communities based on love and compassion or hate and fear. I prefer the former, but the point needs to made. The hatred or fear of a common enemy can be a powerful unifier.

Zetherin;104731 wrote:
We certainly created the doctrines, scriptures, and traditions from which most religions are based, but I don't think we created morality. You think the origins of morality are religious? I'm thinking religions came after the fact - we had morality before any religious endeavor. Hm.

If we didn't create morality then who or what did? How are you certain that we created religion (which I agree with) and not certain that we created moral prescriptions? I also think that religion came after morality, because the judgment of good and bad actions is more necessary for our survival.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 23 Nov, 2009 11:30 pm
@Kroni,
hue-man wrote:
I wasn't saying that you said moral judgments aren't reflective of moral positions. I was trying to say that I see little to no difference between morals and moral judgments.

When I think of morals, I think of the, "I think that's wrong (or right)" gut feeling most of us have, obviously varying in degree.

When I think of moral judgments, I think of the reasoning after the fact. An example being, again, the ethical models many have constructed. They have the initial understanding, or feeling if you will, of what is "right" and "wrong" and how certain actions are to be evaluated. Then, using reasoning, they make prescriptive conclusions.

Again, I know what you meant - I just view the judgment as being after the fact, rather than when the gut feeling, that I call morality, occurs. Similarly, I can evaluate emotions after the fact, but my evaluations of my emotions aren't my emotions. I can contemplate why I was sad over an instance, but it isn't the same as me being sad.

EDIT: Perhaps I should not confuse my morals with my feelings. Perhaps morals are different. Further reflection is needed.

Quote:
How about Al-Qaeda, KKK, Neo-Nazis, and other hate groups? A community is defined as a unified group of people cooperating or communicating for common interests. People can form communities based on love and compassion or hate and fear. I prefer the former, but the point needs to made. The hatred or fear of a common enemy can be a powerful unifier.

After I typed what I typed, I began thinking, "Well, what if he rebuttals Al-Qaeda?".

I questioned whether it was actually hate that brought these people together. Surely these people share hateful views and are unified in a common, and rather disturbing, cause. But, do these people actually hate one another? It seems to me that compassion of some sort must exist within this populous, even though they share a hateful cause.

Perhaps I am wrong in my assessment, but I cannot imagine how they live beside one another without showing some sort of recognition or kindness.

Quote:
If we didn't create morality then who or what did?

Why do you think anyone or anything created morality? Do you think someone or something created emotion?

Quote:
How are you certain that we created religion (which I agree with) and not certain that we created moral prescriptions?

When you say "religion" here, I must be sure that you're speaking of religious institution. If you are speaking of spirituality in general, my response will be remarkably different. Please clarify.

Quote:
I also think that religion came after morality, because the judgment of good and bad actions is more necessary for our survival.

I think this very well may be true. I was just recently reading an article on morality playing a key role in our survival as a species.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 08:31 am
@Kroni,
salima wrote:

How would anyone know if the will to be educated or school systems came first? Well, it seems to me as though it would be necessary that there be a will to learn and be educated before school systems came about. Don't you think?

Which do you think came first - our need to urinate, or toilets? I'm thinking the former.

To be sure, these analogies are in reference to religious institution.

salima

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 12:58 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;105602 wrote:
How would anyone know if the will to be educated or school systems came first? Well, it seems to me as though it would be necessary that there be a will to learn and be educated before school systems came about. Don't you think?

Which do you think came first - our need to urinate, or toilets? I'm thinking the former.

To be sure, these analogies are in reference to religious institution.

so out of religion and morality, which one is the toilet? i guess i dont see the analogy here...

people seem to need religion. i define religion as a structure or container for connection to their inner being, and can also be developed as a self actualization tool of sorts, and good morality would come out of it if it is a good foundation, or bad morals would come out of it if it is a bad foundation. it serves as a path for people who are on a common course and will be reaching a certain goal (which would be either death, rebirth or the afterlife, depending on the point of view)

but i dont think there is a need for morality-i think it is already there, whether or not it is being observed. religion could be used to support morality, and it is often used to combat and destroy it. religion was not already there, either people had to make it up or a god provide it for them.

Zetherin

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 07:54 am
@salima,
salima;105755 wrote:
so out of religion and morality, which one is the toilet? i guess i dont see the analogy here...

people seem to need religion. i define religion as a structure or container for connection to their inner being, and can also be developed as a self actualization tool of sorts, and good morality would come out of it if it is a good foundation, or bad morals would come out of it if it is a bad foundation. it serves as a path for people who are on a common course and will be reaching a certain goal (which would be either death, rebirth or the afterlife, depending on the point of view)

but i dont think there is a need for morality-i think it is already there, whether or not it is being observed. religion could be used to support morality, and it is often used to combat and destroy it. religion was not already there, either people had to make it up or a god provide it for them.

Religion would be the toilet for our need to compartmentalize, understand, apply practical value to, and perhaps faciliate, morality. Assuming we need to do any or all of those things - I suspect that's debatable. I think people can do these things without religion, but I think religion can definitely help.

What do you mean when you say, "i don't think there is a need for morality - i think it is already there"? In any case, I think I agree with most you have written.

salima

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:18 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;105809 wrote:
Religion would be the toilet for our need to compartmentalize, understand, apply practical value to, and perhaps faciliate, morality. Assuming we need to do any or all of those things - I suspect that's debatable. I think people can do these things without religion, but I think religion can definitely help.

What do you mean when you say, "i don't think there is a need for morality - i think it is already there"? In any case, I think I agree with most you have written.

people can do it without religion for sure, or all people who didnt follow a religion would be immoral and that's not true.

i think morality exists as a result of human behavior. automatically when a person does something, someone will evaluate it as being either moral or immoral regardless of religion. for instance, if a person lies instead of being honest, people that he is dealing with in all areas of life will decide what he is doing is wrong-even liars, because they hate being lied to more than anyone else. so no one would stop and think 'that guy is breaking a religious law and i am really mad about that' or 'that guy just broke the ?th commandment(sorry, forgot which number it is) and i think he is immoral.'

actually now that i think about it, i am not sure if morality is a behavior so much as a judgment call about behavior. i think that has been mentioned in a prior post, forgot who said it-ah, it was hue-man.

i like what you said about hate holding groups together-sure it does, but they love each other very much, even if it is only because they hate the same things. usually a group begins to hate some other group or individual, but surely there are times groups are actually formed around that as a motive, i am sure. just like activists form groups for the purpose of peace.

Fido

Reply Wed 25 Nov, 2009 08:51 am
@Kroni,
Life is the original religion, and what we think of as morals, abstractly in this later day was at one time an essential quality of all people without which not a part of society would have survived... We were once only a family... Can anyone, even in this day with community so much under attack, imagine a family without morals??? To live together we must have a common spirit, which is the true meaning of morals... Consider the word morale, which is the spiritual health of a body as opposed to the physical health of a body...They are the same word, and to isolate all members of a community as individuals, to give them the sense that they are alone, and owe no obligation to others, nor are owed no defense from their community, then, the community begins to resemble a victim upon which all individuals can freely wreck their havok...Only the community spirit defends the old, the young, the injured and infirm from external enemies... When communities members can be enjoined to feast upon the marrow of society, to take what they wish, and to reject all they cannot grasp, or do not like, then communities crumble...

Look at the closing of the commons which happened all over Europe...The public property of many, to which they held a hereditary right was put into the hands of single individuals with the argument that they could make more efficient use of it...In private hands, where it could be alienated most of this property became the property of even larger land holders, and all those who used to subsist on the bounty of the commons lost all their private holdings and became wage slaves...People were poor before, but not without means, and after the colosing, people fed the industrial revolution and died without issue...Poverty never became a social problem in England until the commons were closed... The break up of community leaves all people without defense, and those who can combine to prey upon society are given free rein...We have examples of this... Greeks and Romans studied ethics and morality because they had none, and with natural morality destroyed they could only try in vain to recreate the morals of the past... And they could not do so rationally because the subject is not at base rational...So they failed, and fell into the abyss of history....We treasure the destruction of Greek and Roman society...We picked up the institutions of their socieites at the point of failure because some of ours admired the worst of their societes, so that our democracy and democratic spirit was sabotaged from the start...Greece and Rome in their glory were in the throes of death...

Reconstructo

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 05:18 pm
@Kroni,
Morals create humans. (?) For humans do not exist merely biologically. Babies are born helpless. Language is already a structure.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 27 Nov, 2009 08:01 pm
@hue-man,
jeeprs;104367 wrote:
"In this fathom long body, I declare is the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world and the path leading to the cessation of the world."

The Buddha

hue-man;104367 wrote:
Nihilistic asceticism straight from the horse's mouth.

Incorrect. Buddhism is neither nihilistic nor ascetic. Both attitudes are explicitly ruled out in Buddhism, (although there have been and are Buddhist ascetics.)

Here is a better interpretation which puts the quote I provided in better context:

Quote:
For instance, when the Buddha speaks about the end of the world, he says that it cannot be reached by traveling through the physical universe, but only by putting an end to suffering (saṃsāra), where "one is not born, does not age, does not die, does not pass away, and is not reborn" Accordingly, salvation is not understood in world-denying terms or as an escape from the physical universe, but rather as an inner transformation that takes place within one's own psychophysical organism: "It is, friend, in just this fathom-high carcass endowed with perception and mind that I make known the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world, and the way leading to the cessation of the world." (S.I.62; A.II.47-9).

Source

The point I am getting at in relation to the OP and in answer 'why do humans create morals' is that in the Buddhist context, the ethical code expressed by the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path is instrumental in leading the aspirant to a supreme good beyond worldly joy and suffering etc. The point about religious systems generally is that morality and ethics are tied to a supreme good and a vision of the nature of reality. There are of course non-religious systems of ethics as well, for example, stoic, confucian, and many others so the religious systems don't have a monopoly. But in some respects they are the most comprehensive.

Zetherin;104710 wrote:
I think the OP was asking: From where does morality come from - what is morality's biological (or otherwise) root? And to answer that thoroughly, I think we would need a lot more information. I think there is correlation with our emotional patterns, but I'm not quite sure why we feel the need to act on those emotional patterns.

Perhaps there are theories or models already out to explain some, if not all, of this. Does anyone know of any that are supported by relevant experts?

I found one writer whose works helped me a lot was sociologist Peter Berger, whose book The Social Construction of Reality was very influential. I also got a lot from some of his later books.

Fido

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 10:22 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;106472 wrote:
Morals create humans. (?) For humans do not exist merely biologically. Babies are born helpless. Language is already a structure.

It has been a process, but yes, morals make man mankind... There is no essential difference between morals and community, or morals and culture...These are each the same object of our desires seen from different sides....For this reason babies are not completely helpless... They are born with the ability to communicate, and an ego consciousness...They are born with communication and some one to communicate with, and that some one in time becomes all of humanity...The need for more complex communication is found waiting in the form of language, but culture is there too so that one generation can talk to the next... Culture is knowledge, and language as a form of culture is formed by the need to express culture, to express the desires of the individuals or the will of community...Language is never more complex than the knowledge we need to express... The farmer living on hides had no need for millimeters.. for example.

---------- Post added 11-28-2009 at 11:35 AM ----------

jeeprs;106515 wrote:

I found one writer whose works helped me a lot was sociologist Peter Berger, whose book The Social Construction of Reality was very influential. I also got a lot from some of his later books.

Why not say the answer is obvious...I have been peeking into Aristotles Ethics, and I have to tell you that those people seemed to think that society, ethics, the whole hair ball government and all were set up by people with some advantage in mind... While this may be true of nation states it was obviously not true of his time...People formed associations by choice, but the most common, and universal assocation of all human kind is not by choice made, but is the natural one of the family... So, If some one says they don't have enough information, and need loot for some study of morals, buzz them off... We have all attended a school of morals as every family is whether it teaches immorality or morality... And we can see that those families that best survive do so on the strength of their morals...So, men do not make morals, but learn them, and are made good by them, and good morals make good men, and etc...

Zetherin

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 05:34 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;106472 wrote:

Bud, you have quite a bit going on here. I think you just touched on about 63,218 issues with only four sentences.

Reconstructo

Reply Sat 28 Nov, 2009 05:53 pm
@Zetherin,
Thanks, Zetherin.

I think it's easy for people to forget how much of "themselves" they have inherited. They are immersed in the language, technology, and behavior patterns of their society. Thoughts that are both original and socially significant are few and far between. Most humans exercise their apparent individuality by identifying themselves with thoughts already "on the market." But a young person can hardly do better. 99% of the worth of a person is not in the least novel. And a great "immoralist" like Nietzsche would have starved without his university pension. I doubt that Nietzsche did any farming. (Ayn Rand made some good points, but she did not address herself to social reality. She is as much an idealist (in this sense) as the collectivists she despises. I do find Ayn Rand's ideals more appealing, just as I treasure those of Nietzsche.)

We are eager to forget our intense embeddedness because it offends our sense of autonomy and self-creation, and this ideal of autonomy and/or self-creation is one more instance of such embeddedness.

We are all outnumbered. Morals keep most of us un-murdered and un-raped.

Fido

Reply Wed 2 Dec, 2009 09:16 am
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;106722 wrote:
Thanks, Zetherin.

I think it's easy for people to forget how much of "themselves" they have inherited. They are immersed in the language, technology, and behavior patterns of their society. Thoughts that are both original and socially significant are few and far between. Most humans exercise their apparent individuality by identifying themselves with thoughts already "on the market." But a young person can hardly do better. 99% of the worth of a person is not in the least novel. And a great "immoralist" like Nietzsche would have starved without his university pension. I doubt that Nietzsche did any farming. (Ayn Rand made some good points, but she did not address herself to social reality. She is as much an idealist (in this sense) as the collectivists she despises. I do find Ayn Rand's ideals more appealing, just as I treasure those of Nietzsche.)

We are eager to forget our intense embeddedness because it offends our sense of autonomy and self-creation, and this ideal of autonomy and/or self-creation is one more instance of such embeddedness.

We are all outnumbered. Morals keep most of us un-murdered and un-raped.

Nietzche and Rand would not stand a chance in a really moral society...The right to self defense, and even social self defense is the most moral morality...If you cannot exclude criminals like those two you haven't got morality and if you have not got a morality you have not society... Man is morals because society is morals first....

HexHammer

Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2010 10:55 pm
@Kroni,
Kroni;103030 wrote:
Every known human civilization has speculated the existence of a higher power such as Morality and God. We are aware of ourselves in a way that no other animal has ever been. We make judgements about our actions and ponder on existential thought. But why do humans think this way? Why do we have an internal need to be morally correct people? And to be ironic, why am I asking this question?

We create moral guideline to avoid chaos, to avoid mob rule, to avoid people who are ruled by emotion ..but ruled by reason.

Most people have a need to be morrally correct because they'r dictated by "group think" aka flok instinct.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:58:10