Why do humans create morals?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 01:22 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;103993 wrote:
Do you think compassion is an emotion? Do you think all emotions are more or less the same kind of thing? Are there 'noble' emotions (such as altruism and compassion) and base ones (such as moodiness and self-indulgence)?

---------- Post added 11-17-2009 at 08:45 PM ----------

Incidentally, I believe there is a connection between ethics and reality. In this view, which is basically the view of any religion, the universe itself has an ethical dimension. I am practising the Buddhist discipline, which says that there is a moral law, called Dharma 'that which holds everything together'. I can't see a lot of purpose in a universe that...well...doesn't have a lot of purpose. I guess you can say there is no purpose, but I do wonder what purpose that argument would serve, because if it is true, it wouldn't matter.

Moral law definitely holds communities together just as immoral laws force communities apart... As a form, morality is better informal... Once morality has become a formal form, authority is given to some over others, and as soon as anyone accepts such power, they have become immoral...Influence is not immoral...To sway others to your opinion especially if it is well reasoned is the obligation of every person... Ultimately you must allow people their consent because it is their lives that are on the line...Power divides society better than wealth, but community is unity, and that requires justice, freedom, and morality...As much as everyone may want to retreat into the East, it is our obligation to stand, work for, and demand our human freedom, and to allow it to all others...For some reason it is easier to inspire people to fight aginst freedom in the name of freedom, and drown the fire of liberty as though a child than to inspire people to fight in a moral cause... Perhaps no cause justifies violence, and yet liberty demands every necessary act in her defense...Does it seem a contradiction, that people fighting for tyranny excuse it as freedom... Even Hitler used the word in regard to Poland from which he ran to Liberty's defense...Freedom is too often the banner of tyranny, so justice should be our banner... Because it demands less blood...

hue-man

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 01:44 pm
@salima,
salima;103987 wrote:
suppose i plant a bomb in their hideout and before they come back little red riding hood stops to get a snack and the bomb goes off and kills her? or would i use a sophisticated trigger that would only be set off by a photo alarm of the enemies who would be recognized by it and only then go off? any remote device is liable to malfunction. no, i would just run away.

I would use a remote controlled bomb and wait outside their hideout and make sure that it's clear. Remember that this is in the name of self-defense for you and your loved ones. I understand if you don't have the heart to do it, but don't judge as immoral someone else who does.

salima;103987 wrote:
and we already know the wonderful results from following 'intelligence information', like bombing red cross hospitals and overturning governments for wmp which they never had. getting into a country and doing a ground invasion is also lame-look at vietnam. how many villages were wiped out with those little big guns? who even knew who the enemy was and who was innocent in those days? same thing is going on today in iraq-try to stop a car at a checkpoint because you are alone and afraid they are suicide bombers and they are afraid you are going to kill them, and they take off and you murder them all and find out the car was full of women and children going to visit a relative or something.

So your alternative to saving thousands of people is to allow the ethnic genocide in the name of anti-violence? Doesn't that seem like an oxymoron in some way?

---------- Post added 11-17-2009 at 03:07 PM ----------

jeeprs;103993 wrote:
Do you think compassion is an emotion? Do you think all emotions are more or less the same kind of thing? Are there 'noble' emotions (such as altruism and compassion) and base ones (such as moodiness and self-indulgence)?
Compassion in an emotion, yes. It is the active desire to alleviate another person's suffering. Altruism is not really an emotion per say. To be altruistic is to act in ways that are not beneficial to yourself, or maybe even be harmful to yourself, in order to benefit someone else. It is an action that results from empathy, sympathy, and compassion. Altruism can be contrasted with egoistic behavior. Egoistic behavior serves to benefit the agent, but may not benefit, or may even be harmful to, another agent. I'm not the most altruistic person, but I'm not the most egoistic person, either. Both altruism and egoism have noble aspects in my eyes.

jeeprs;103993 wrote:
Incidentally, I believe there is a connection between ethics and reality. In this view, which is basically the view of any religion, the universe itself has an ethical dimension. I am practising the Buddhist discipline, which says that there is a moral law, called Dharma 'that which holds everything together'. I can't see a lot of purpose in a universe that...well...doesn't have a lot of purpose. I guess you can say there is no purpose, but I do wonder what purpose that argument would serve, because if it is true, it wouldn't matter.

I don't believe in any intrinsic or transcendent purpose or meaning to existence, and so I don't believe in a connection between objective reality and morality. I do not view the universe as a moral agent, or any type of agent for that matter. Nature is amoral. I believe that it's very vain to anthropomorphize the universe in such a way, but I understand why people do it. It takes a brave and noble soul to admit that there is no transcendent, metaphysical meaning or purpose to existence and that they must find their own. That is what life is all about to me.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 02:36 pm
@Kroni,
If there is no purpose in nautre, then all our purposes are vanity. It seems more anthropocentric to me to say that nature has no purpose, and than that the only purpose in the universe is that which we devise. It says that human purpose and human intention is the only purpose and only intention. Tell me that is not anthropocentric.

salima

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:52 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104118 wrote:
I would use a remote controlled bomb and wait outside their hideout and make sure that it's clear. Remember that this is in the name of self-defense for you and your loved ones. I understand if you don't have the heart to do it, but don't judge as immoral someone else who does.

So your alternative to saving thousands of people is to allow the ethnic genocide in the name of anti-violence? Doesn't that seem like an oxymoron in some way?

i dont find self defense (or defense of others) acceptable unless it is the last and only possible alternative. for instance, if someone was coming at me or my son with a hatchet, i would use whatever i had handy or my own body to stop him, not with the intention of killing him, but stopping him. but in your scenario, even if it was absolutely certain and known that someone was going to come and kill me, there would be other alternatives. if the threat was to my son i would try to convince him to do the same, but it is his life and he is accountable to himself for what he does, and if he chose to do the kind of thing you are suggeseting i would have a real moral dilemma. should i call the police and warn them and have my own son put in jail to prevent the murder of someone who supposedly would have killed him?

as for the second one, assuming we are still talking about sudan, i didnt mean to imply that letting the situation go on was my alternative. i am sure there are alternatives. for instance as i may have already mentioned, had i been in the north during the period of slavery i would not have chosen war but i would have been among the abolitionists who helped the slaves escape. i am sure in sudan there is some comparable method of standing up for what we believe in. but we cant fight the whole world's battles-so i may feel a need to support the cause of some struggles going on that i am familiar with, and choose to involve myself with them over others.

i do my best not to judge other people at all, and i have never even thought to question someone else's morality-though i often question another person's honesty or integrity. morality is a very difficult area. my son is a good example because he is so far removed from me in time and experience, and obviously close to me in relationship, so i have done a lot of work in the area of understanding people with other values and morals. in the mental dilemma i propose above, i do feel that he would want to blow up those people, either to save himself or me or whoever he loved. and even if i decided it was morally right for me to call the police to stop him, i would not be judging him as immoral-only as breaking the law and planning to kill someone else, and feel it has now become my moral obligation to protect them. because i can also not judge them for their intentions of killing someone else, can i? even if it is me or my own son. i would have to think on this one a long long time before coming up with an answer i would be comfortable with.

hue-man

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:53 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104130 wrote:
If there is no purpose in nautre, then all our purposes are vanity. It seems more anthropocentric to me to say that nature has no purpose, and than that the only purpose in the universe is that which we devise. It says that human purpose and human intention is the only purpose and only intention. Tell me that is not anthropocentric.

I say that the universe has no intentional purpose or meaning because I am being honest with myself. There is no evidence whatsoever that says or implies that the universe is governed by intentional, willed, volitional forces. The universe is governed by natural law-like regularities, not intent or volitional will. The volitional will exhibited by living things is an epiphenomenon of fundamental law-like, unwilled, deterministic regularities.

Psychologically speaking, it is natural for human beings to perceive purpose in all things (even a damn rock) because as social creatures we survive our environments by recognizing intent in others. To attribute human like characteristics to the universe, such as intent, will and, of all things, morality, is to liken the universe to the nature of man. That's what I mean by vanity. It's a level of self-absorption that is excessive and misplaced. I said that such beliefs were anthropomorphic, not anthropocentric; there's a difference. I don't regard humans as the central element of the universe, and so there is nothing about my metaphysical position that is anthropocentric.

salima

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 07:37 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104165 wrote:
I say that the universe has no intentional purpose or meaning because I am being honest with myself. There is no evidence whatsoever that says or implies that the universe is governed by intentional, willed, volitional forces. The universe is governed by natural law-like regularities, not intent or volitional will. The volitional will exhibited by living things is an epiphenomenon of fundamental law-like, unwilled, deterministic regularities.

Psychologically speaking, it is natural for human beings to perceive purpose in all things (even a damn rock) because as social creatures we survive our environments by recognizing intent in others. To attribute human like characteristics to the universe, such as intent, will and, of all things, morality, is to liken the universe to the nature of man. That's what I mean by vanity. It's a level of self-absorption that is excessive and misplaced. I said that such beliefs were anthropomorphic, not anthropocentric; there's a difference. I don't regard humans as the central element of the universe, and so there is nothing about my metaphysical position that is anthropocentric.

have you read the causal argument thread posted by shostakovich? you would be a good person to give some feedback on that. i also saw things pretty much as you do, but it has given me a lot to think about-and there is nothing anthropomophonic about it! it's a long thread now, but at least if you read the OP i would love to hear your thoughts on it-over there i mean. (sorry to interrupt this particular train)

jeeprs

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 08:06 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104165 wrote:
...There is no evidence whatsoever that says or implies that the universe is governed by intentional, willed, volitional forces. The universe is governed by natural law-like regularities, not intent or volitional will. The volitional will exhibited by living things is an epiphenomenon of fundamental law-like, unwilled, deterministic regularities.

It is a matter of interpretation, not evidence. There are eloquent arguments on both sides. Arguments for whether there is a cosmic intelligence or whether there is a moral law can never be proven objectively. It is a matter of personal predilection. But if the universe is lawful in regards to gravity and electromagnetism, there is no reason to believe it is not lawful in other respects as well. Who are we to dicate which aspects of it are lawful, and which are not?

hue-man;104165 wrote:

The human body was understood by the ancients to be a kind of replica of the universe, a 'microcosm'. I would think, if you were an advanced intelligence from another universe, you could infer the whole development of this universe on the basis of one human body. So as it is the result of a billion-year process of evolution, why would it be vain to believe that the characteristics of the human being reflect the attributes of the Universe that gave rise to it?

hue-man

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 08:23 pm
@salima,
salima;104183 wrote:
have you read the causal argument thread posted by shostakovich? you would be a good person to give some feedback on that. i also saw things pretty much as you do, but it has given me a lot to think about-and there is nothing anthropomophonic about it! it's a long thread now, but at least if you read the OP i would love to hear your thoughts on it-over there i mean. (sorry to interrupt this particular train)

You gave me a heads up on that thread, remember? I read the OP and gave a counter argument.

jeeprs

Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 09:48 pm
@Kroni,
I can't see why it is more logical to say that there is no reason, meaning or purpose in nature, than to say that there is. I think every culture, except for post-enlightenment European philosophy, was predicated on the observation that nature has purpose. The EE did away with the idea because it was deemed 'religious'. It is a very short step from there to nihilism, or to the idea that the uber-mensch are the only ones in the universe with a purpose. And from there to modernity.

salima

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 12:05 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;104191 wrote:
You gave me a heads up on that thread, remember? I read the OP and gave a counter argument.

Surprised you're right, i do remember now. seems like a long time ago, a lot has been going on with me in the meantime. difficult to believe everything is ok and i can really go on with my life now!

---------- Post added 11-18-2009 at 11:41 AM ----------

jeeprs;104204 wrote:
I can't see why it is more logical to say that there is no reason, meaning or purpose in nature, than to say that there is. I think every culture, except for post-enlightenment European philosophy, was predicated on the observation that nature has purpose. The EE did away with the idea because it was deemed 'religious'. It is a very short step from there to nihilism, or to the idea that the uber-mensch are the only ones in the universe with a purpose. And from there to modernity.

i am willing to accept the possibility of there being intent and will in the unified field, or ground of being, (god if you wish) which is more than i have able to agree with since i was eleven years old. but at the same time, i must say i am not sure it really matters! i think either way we are so limited in our condition that we may never find out. and as to whether or not we as organisms have free will or not, that too doesnt really matter. because if we knew we did not, what should we do, commit suicide? even that wouldnt be our own free will! so why not just try and make the best of it. like a game of D&D...you make up a character and choose an alignment for him, either good, evil or chaotic, and play the game. is it enough?

jeeprs

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 01:07 am
@Kroni,
salima;104224 wrote:
i am willing to accept the possibility of there being intent and will in the unified field, or ground of being, (god if you wish) which is more than i have able to agree with since i was eleven years old. but at the same time, i must say i am not sure it really matters! i think either way we are so limited in our condition that we may never find out. and as to whether or not we as organisms have free will or not, that too doesnt really matter. because if we knew we did not, what should we do, commit suicide? even that wouldnt be our own free will! so why not just try and make the best of it. like a game of D&D...you make up a character and choose an alignment for him, either good, evil or chaotic, and play the game. is it enough?

Well I say it really matters (and I am not really arguing for Diety.) Or you could say, if it is not the case, then it is true that it doesn't matter, because nothing matters. Living, dying, it is all pretty much the same, except for what meaning we are able to imbue it with by virtue of our own efforts and authenticity. Here we are back at existentialism. True, there is a certain kind of dramatic heroism about it. Sartre was offered the Nobel Prize (which he declined, much to his great credit, in my view - the only writer to have ever done so) on the basis of his novel Nausea:

Quote:
Written in the form of journal entries, it follows 30-year-old Antoine Roquentin who, returned from years of travel, settles in the fictional French seaport town of Bouville to finish his research on the life of an 18th-century political figure. But during the winter of 1932, a "sweetish sickness" he calls nausea increasingly impinges on almost everything he does or enjoys: his research project, the company of "The Self-Taught Man" ("The Autodidact" in some translations) who is reading all the books in the local library alphabetically, a physical relationship with a cafe owner named Francoise, his memories of Anny, an English girl he once loved, even his own hands and the beauty of nature.

Over time, his disgust towards existence forces him into near-insanity, self-hatred; he embodies Sartre's theories of existential angst, and he searches anxiously for meaning in all the things that had filled and fulfilled his life up to that point. But finally he comes to a revelation into the nature of his being. Antoine faces the troublesomely provisional and limited nature of existence itself.

In his resolution at the end of the book he accepts the indifference of the physical world to man's aspirations. He is able to see that realization not only as a regret but also as an opportunity. People are free to make their own meaning: a freedom that is also a responsibility, because without that commitment there will be no meaning.

But the themes in Sartre's work paint a very bleak picture of the human condition. 'Hell is other people'. Being in a situation for which we are not responsible and over which we have no control ('No Exit').

Finding a sense of unity with nature and a sense of greater life through compassion seems preferable to me. And how would this be possible, from the perspective of being a lonely ego in a meaningless world where nothing has purpose? And again, how is this not anthropocentric? Only modern man feels like this. It is the hallmark of modernity. Of course, modernity has many advantages, but I don't think this is one of them.

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:49 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104204 wrote:

We know there is a purpose to nature, but we do not reach it with preconceptions...For us, nature is life; and we need more life... You can't find any meaning apart from life... What meaning has the most beautiful sunrise to a dead man???Without life there is no meaning, so to ever seek meaning apart from our lives and the existence of life on earth is simple...We can judge all that we see on earth by the standard of what it does for us, and how it affects our lives, and there is its value, and its meaning...You will never find an abstract purpose, or a metaphysical purpose apart from the source of all our reality, which is our tenure in life...

salima

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 06:59 am
@Fido,
Fido;104261 wrote:
We know there is a purpose to nature, but we do not reach it with preconceptions...For us, nature is life; and we need more life... You can't find any meaning apart from life... What meaning has the most beautiful sunrise to a dead man???Without life there is no meaning, so to ever seek meaning apart from our lives and the existence of life on earth is simple...We can judge all that we see on earth by the standard of what it does for us, and how it affects our lives, and there is its value, and its meaning...You will never find an abstract purpose, or a metaphysical purpose apart from the source of all our reality, which is our tenure in life...

very simple and simply stated. what else do we really need to know?

hey fido, you dont believe in life after death? if we meet again there, i will depend on you to explain to me the meaning and purpose of that too!

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:01 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104230 wrote:
Well I say it really matters (and I am not really arguing for Diety.) Or you could say, if it is not the case, then it is true that it doesn't matter, because nothing matters. Living, dying, it is all pretty much the same, except for what meaning we are able to imbue it with by virtue of our own efforts and authenticity. Here we are back at existentialism. True, there is a certain kind of dramatic heroism about it. Sartre was offered the Nobel Prize (which he declined, much to his great credit, in my view - the only writer to have ever done so) on the basis of his novel Nausea:

But the themes in Sartre's work paint a very bleak picture of the human condition. 'Hell is other people'. Being in a situation for which we are not responsible and over which we have no control ('No Exit').

Finding a sense of unity with nature and a sense of greater life through compassion seems preferable to me. And how would this be possible, from the perspective of being a lonely ego in a meaningless world where nothing has purpose? And again, how is this not anthropocentric? Only modern man feels like this. It is the hallmark of modernity. Of course, modernity has many advantages, but I don't think this is one of them.

Hell may be other people... But hell is not all other people because life is a form, and as a form it is a form of relationship... There will some day be a last person on earth, and at that point his life though real enough will be devoid of meaning, because meaning is what we share... That meaning, and this form called life, and all forms are what they arre because they are shared as a form of relationship... We say truth, and think we mean some absolute truth; but what we get for truth is what we can agree upon, as a form of relationship... Without the relationship the form has no meaning, and this is exactly the problem with our government, that as a form it is destroying our relationship with others in this country... While it tells the people to pull themselves up with their bootstraps it undercuts its own moral support... There must be some bed rock under all great structures, as forms are...They all must support our lives, and if they do not support our lives then our lives go to support them... Our government is a drain on the national life, and it survives only by dividing this people against themselves...Well, the same is true of many of our forms, like religion, or morals, or education...

---------- Post added 11-18-2009 at 08:12 AM ----------

salima;104262 wrote:
very simple and simply stated. what else do we really need to know?

hey fido, you dont believe in life after death? if we meet again there, i will depend on you to explain to me the meaning and purpose of that too!

I sort of hold with the Puritans that to be worthy of heaven we have to make the earth more heavenly.. In other words, I am more concerned with proving I, and we live now than concerning myself with life later...Good is the object of good, just as virtue is its own reward... If I were to act for some eternal reward it would be labor for wages...If I do good because it is within my power to do so and because good is needed then I am myself God, and I am heaven, and in the words of Jesus, I have my reward...

hue-man

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:20 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104189 wrote:
It is a matter of interpretation, not evidence. There are eloquent arguments on both sides. Arguments for whether there is a cosmic intelligence or whether there is a moral law can never be proven objectively. It is a matter of personal predilection. But if the universe is lawful in regards to gravity and electromagnetism, there is no reason to believe it is not lawful in other respects as well. Who are we to dicate which aspects of it are lawful, and which are not?

It's not merely a matter of lay interpretation. It's a matter of logical inference and parsimonious consistency with evidence. It's said the regularities of nature are law-like. That means not literally. There is every reason to believe that nature is not lawful in the sense of judicial law and morality.

jeeprs;104189 wrote:
The human body was understood by the ancients to be a kind of replica of the universe, a 'microcosm'. I would think, if you were an advanced intelligence from another universe, you could infer the whole development of this universe on the basis of one human body. So as it is the result of a billion-year process of evolution, why would it be vain to believe that the characteristics of the human being reflect the attributes of the Universe that gave rise to it?

The human body, and all organisms, are composed of the elements of the universe because they are a part of the universe. How someone interprets that information in mystical ways is beyond me. You think that an advanced intelligence from another universe you could infer the whole evolutionary development of the universe on the basis of the human body?! Now that's anthropocentric. If the characteristics or behaviors of the human being reflect the attributes of the universe then that only goes to show that the universe is caused by unwilled, deterministic regularities.

JLClark

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 11:48 am
@Fido,
Many of the great old philosophers say that morality comes with the birth of society, which is created because of X. X is where all kind of variety comes in, where Hobbes says society is necessary for humans to thrive and Nietzsche says society is self destructive (but ultimately leading to something greater eventually). But no matter the cause I think it is safe to form an opinion for myself that humans create morals as an inherit effect of taking part in society, where they are dependent.

jeeprs

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:24 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104339 wrote:
How someone interprets that information in mystical ways is beyond me. You think that an advanced intelligence from another universe you could infer the whole evolutionary development of the universe on the basis of the human body?! Now that's anthropocentric. If the characteristics or behaviors of the human being reflect the attributes of the universe then that only goes to show that the universe is caused by unwilled, deterministic regularities.

"In this fathom long body, I declare is the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world and the path leading to the cessation of the world."

The Buddha

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 02:50 pm
@JLClark,
JLClark;104345 wrote:
Many of the great old philosophers say that morality comes with the birth of society, which is created because of X. X is where all kind of variety comes in, where Hobbes says society is necessary for humans to thrive and Nietzsche says society is self destructive (but ultimately leading to something greater eventually). But no matter the cause I think it is safe to form an opinion for myself that humans create morals as an inherit effect of taking part in society, where they are dependent.

Morality comes out of our navels, literally...We learn love and kindness before we walk, the fear of strangers and the affection of the familiar... It comes out of our births, as society is born in the family... We do not create morals, but are created by them... We are the result of moral forms turned into social forms...

hue-man

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:12 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104357 wrote:
"In this fathom long body, I declare is the world, the origin of the world, the cessation of the world and the path leading to the cessation of the world."

The Buddha

Nihilistic asceticism straight from the horse's mouth.

---------- Post added 11-18-2009 at 04:30 PM ----------

Fido;104362 wrote:
Morality comes out of our navels, literally...We learn love and kindness before we walk, the fear of strangers and the affection of the familiar... It comes out of our births, as society is born in the family... We do not create morals, but are created by them... We are the result of moral forms turned into social forms...

You're talking about emotions, not morals.

Fido

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 03:56 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104367 wrote:
Nihilistic asceticism straight from the horse's mouth.

---------- Post added 11-18-2009 at 04:30 PM ----------

You're talking about emotions, not morals.

No; I am talking about morals which are not rational and have never been shown to be rational... Consider that it may be moral to risk your life to save a life, but it is never rational...One is moral out of an emotional connectedness to others, and to society....Why are outlaws the heroes of individualism??? It is because they have turned their back on society and social norms, and can be nothing but immoral...Community is morality, and all immorality is an attack on community...Community is also a source of affection, and is held together with love if held together at all...

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 06:13:18