Why do humans create morals?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

hue-man

Reply Wed 18 Nov, 2009 07:10 pm
@Fido,
Fido;104375 wrote:
No; I am talking about morals which are not rational and have never been shown to be rational... Consider that it may be moral to risk your life to save a life, but it is never rational...One is moral out of an emotional connectedness to others, and to society....Why are outlaws the heroes of individualism??? It is because they have turned their back on society and social norms, and can be nothing but immoral...Community is morality, and all immorality is an attack on community...Community is also a source of affection, and is held together with love if held together at all...

You're talking about love and kindness, which are emotions. Morality is about judging whether or not such emotions, and the actions that they induce, are good or bad.

I never said that morals were rational. Moral judgments are founded on emotions and prescriptions. Emotional connectedness to community can often lead to the attack of another community. These attacks are often justified by conventional, societal norms and morality. A community can also be held together by the hatred for another community.

Krumple

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 05:24 am
@Kroni,
Adults are just tall children who think they know what is best. But the reality of the situation is that they still have no clue what they should be doing or what is the best thing to do.

Morals are just a way to get everyone to play nicely with each other. The rules of the sandbox of society. They only support our desires or what we hold as valuable. Don't take something belonging to someone else because we value our things. Don't tell untruths because we value accurate information. Don't kill another because we value our own lives. Don't steal another persons spouse because we value our self importance within that relationship (In other words people hate being considered second to someone else) I could go on but it is just that simple. Find me a moral that does not in some way reflect on our humanistic values.

Fido

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:39 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;104405 wrote:
You're talking about love and kindness, which are emotions. Morality is about judging whether or not such emotions, and the actions that they induce, are good or bad.

I never said that morals were rational. Moral judgments are founded on emotions and prescriptions. Emotional connectedness to community can often lead to the attack of another community. These attacks are often justified by conventional, societal norms and morality. A community can also be held together by the hatred for another community.

Sir; there are morals as a study, and morals in the wild, and in the wild people are not moral because they think about morals because when people think about it, it is to be not moral...Who can judge their morals??? The morals a man is born to are older than the oldest one living...We all get our morals such as they are expressed consciously from our community, and families... Yet, all people know how they should behave, in the sense of not doing unto others, out of a healthy sense of emotional connectedness with all humans, some times extending to animals... The infliction of pain, and the witnessing of suffering is profoundly disturbing for the moral person, and they will naturally consider the consequences of their actions in order to do no harm...

It is not for this reason that people study morals... Morals as ethics became a study during the breakdown of Greek Society... They wanted to to teach ethics because the natural ethics of a Gentile people had long been corroded with cash and commerce... And their very success in capturing and colonizing the Mediterainian Sea led to an International Greek Consciousness that might in time have led to a Confederacy, like a Democratic Empire giving rights and protection to all Greeks...These people destroyed themselves in a war of morals...They let themselves be divided by morals, and those who were anti democratic, and anti egalitarian, stood against the morals that had once made them great...And for this they suffered disease, and slaughter, to deny to others what they demanded themselves..Without their moral strength they crumbled before the barbarians who are more gentile in their organization, and more moral..

The discussion of morals follows on the heels of a want of morals... What is moral is just, and there is peace found... And what is moral is never of itself a subject for thought because we do good as a natural matter, but what that is changes from place to place, and time to time; so it cannot be taught as the Greeks presumed, because there are not truths, and no absolutes to morals...Socrates said that knowledge was virtue... Is it??? When some ones morals are tested it is always a pop quiz... Put your life on the line for just one person ever, and you will find yourself thinking about your actions after....Yet, when a person risks all, as life is, for another no matter who they are- it cannot be reasonable since reason is only possible because of life, and the only reasonable thing is to is to preserve ones life and so preserve the life in which reason has meaning...We should think about what we do and take a moral from the story... What we consider to be truth does play a part in our actions because we all think of ourselves as true, and representing truth, and speaking truth... So we have a moral conception of self, and what that self does to, and thinks about others... But morals cannot be taught, and it is terrible that people try to make a science of it because just as in Ancient Greece, the ethical argument is used to justify injustice...

Thinking about ethics objectively, and judging ones society's given morals is not possible... We are given our customs and character (as the word means) by our society before we are conscious of accepting them, and to try to judge them fairly is to try to judge ourselves objectively, and while that may be our experience, our judgement on the subject is another matter... We cannot judge our morals as Socrates did, rejecting them in public, especially as he did on insufficient and false evidence, and we have no other sort...We can take a lesson of sorts from all human behavior, but understand that when we do good as morality is, we do so because of who we are rather than upon what we think...If we are human we respond to humanity with humanity...

Thought about ethics has only one purpose, and it is to avoid natural behavior which has evolved to its environment... Primitives are more moral because they must be, having little of technology and threatened with destruction they must be united as though a single being with a single goal...Well, look at primitive adventures... The Illiad is a book of morals, and if Socrates contested the proven morals of the ancients it was not to be moral...He did not understand the subject... What he saw was a society tested, and broken by easy wealth and victory... His society was divided, so he took sides, and that meant a whole new ethic to fit his new society of haves against wants...If we were to say: Morals is the study of how societies reach the goal of survival, then we can take no lesson from the Greeks or the Romans, and yet we have founded our society upon their rubble...

Yes; you are getting it... To hate can be moral...To attack can be moral...It can be moral to die for ones community when to run away would be rational...Morals are always in relation to ones own community... It is the challenge of philosophy to widen each sense of community to include humanity, but to do that we must identify with humanity, and also trust humanity which we have no natural reason to do...

---------- Post added 11-19-2009 at 09:02 AM ----------

Krumple;104451 wrote:
Adults are just tall children who think they know what is best. But the reality of the situation is that they still have no clue what they should be doing or what is the best thing to do.

Morals are just a way to get everyone to play nicely with each other. The rules of the sandbox of society. They only support our desires or what we hold as valuable. Don't take something belonging to someone else because we value our things. Don't tell untruths because we value accurate information. Don't kill another because we value our own lives. Don't steal another persons spouse because we value our self importance within that relationship (In other words people hate being considered second to someone else) I could go on but it is just that simple. Find me a moral that does not in some way reflect on our humanistic values.

People are all moral, with the a-moral and the immoral suffering as diseased, and often with disease...Morals considered objectively is what humanity is objectively... The most simple unity of society is the family and not one family could exist if its members were not moral in relations with each other...The problem is this, that knowing what morality is does not tell us what morality does... In a situation which tests our morals hypothosis goes by the boards... How we act is what we are, and what we are is how we feel...To make any person more moral you must change their mind which also means changing self perception, and self identification....It is an impossible task that people can only accomplish on their own with great effort.... If you really want a moral society you must feed morality...Law is supposed to be justice; but judges say that justice never enters into the law, and that they consider only what is contitutional in regard to law... If justice is moral, how can we exxpect a society to be moral that does not concern itself with justice???

hue-man

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 12:43 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;104451 wrote:

All of this is true, but your tone suggests that you believe that this discredits morality, and I would disagree.

Fido

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 01:54 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104507 wrote:
All of this is true, but your tone suggests that you believe that this discredits morality, and I would disagree.

His notion of a reciprical sort of relationship through morals is wrong... Instead, as custom, it is what ones people do and in ancient days one identified with ones group almost totally because others forced you to with group responsibility, and because your community was your sole defense against other communities...People still live like that today... Afghanistan, and to a slightly lesser degree Iraq is like that; so people in their behavior are very contrained in order to not bring dishonor, discredit, revenge or contumely on their people...The only reciprical is that all people in the area live by the same rules of engagement, and people do not mess around...

I am moral because my people are moral, and it is the price of belonging to my community... I am honorable because we are honorable as the price of social intercourse with others...Try to remember that morality governs ones behavior within ones own community except that no moral person starts anything with any other communities having no idea of who might be hurt by the inevitable reaction...For example, in ancient Greece no one could prosecute an Athenian for killing a slave or a visiter... Only a member of one own family could bring a case for murder... You had to have some standing in the community to plead an injury because no one thought it the job of their community to prosecute crimes against other nations... Are we so different today???

Krumple

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 02:35 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;104507 wrote:

Na, I was trying to sidestep it. I understand the importance of rules or guidelines which morals are. By following them, you create less animosity in the sandbox. That was all I was trying to say.

hue-man

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 04:02 pm
@Fido,
Fido;104461 wrote:
The morals a man is born to are older than the oldest one living...We all get our morals such as they are expressed consciously from our community, and families... Yet, all people know how they should behave, in the sense of not doing unto others, out of a healthy sense of emotional connectedness with all humans, some times extending to animals... The infliction of pain, and the witnessing of suffering is profoundly disturbing for the moral person, and they will naturally consider the consequences of their actions in order to do no harm...

No person is born with innate senses of right and wrong. Some children are selfish and unkind to other children without being taught to be such a way. It's all about the innate emotional tendencies that a person is born with. Whether or not these emotional tendencies are right or wrong are later formed by the society. For example, some people have the emotional tendency and modern convenience to believe that hunting and eating other animals is wrong, but I wonder how they would feel if civilization broke down and they were starving in the forest.

Fido;104461 wrote:
It is not for this reason that people study morals... Morals as ethics became a study during the breakdown of Greek Society... They wanted to to teach ethics because the natural ethics of a Gentile people had long been corroded with cash and commerce... And their very success in capturing and colonizing the Mediterainian Sea led to an International Greek Consciousness that might in time have led to a Confederacy, like a Democratic Empire giving rights and protection to all Greeks...These people destroyed themselves in a war of morals...They let themselves be divided by morals, and those who were anti democratic, and anti egalitarian, stood against the morals that had once made them great...And for this they suffered disease, and slaughter, to deny to others what they demanded themselves..Without their moral strength they crumbled before the barbarians who are more gentile in their organization, and more moral..

Greek civilization broke down because of infighting and political turmoil. The barbarians were more moral and gentile?! Which barbarians are you speaking of, because as far as I know all of the ancient barbarians were cruel warring people.

Fido;104461 wrote:
The discussion of morals follows on the heels of a want of morals... What is moral is just, and there is peace found...

So morality equals peace? Aren't there situations when it is moral to be hostile to an aggressor? Political justice is the minimization, reversal, and punishment of coercion. Would it not be just to disrupt a relative peace through violent means for the greater good; a sort of storm before the calm?

Fido;104461 wrote:
Yet, when a person risks all, as life is, for another no matter who they are- it cannot be reasonable since reason is only possible because of life, and the only reasonable thing is to is to preserve ones life and so preserve the life in which reason has meaning

Is this a condemnation of self-sacrifice for someone or something other than one's self? Are there not situations when self-sacrifice is noble?

Fido;104461 wrote:
If we are human we respond to humanity with humanity...

This seems to imply that goodness is the universal or exclusive characteristic of humanity, in which case I would disagree.

Fido;104461 wrote:
Thought about ethics has only one purpose, and it is to avoid natural behavior which has evolved to its environment... Primitives are more moral because they must be, having little of technology and threatened with destruction they must be united as though a single being with a single goal

I disagree that primitive societies are more moral. There are primitive societies where it is a cultural norm to commit cannibalism, raid and battle other tribes, and kill suspected witches and warlocks.

Fido;104461 wrote:
If we were to say: Morals is the study of how societies reach the goal of survival, then we can take no lesson from the Greeks or the Romans, and yet we have founded our society upon their rubble...

We could say that ethics is the study of how societies reach the goal of survival, but I think it's a bit broader than that. Some societies reach the goal of survival through conflict and warfare, and other societies can be destroyed by meekness and passivity. The Romans and Greeks, however, are great examples of the destructive potential of the will to absolute power.

Fido;104461 wrote:
It is the challenge of philosophy to widen each sense of community to include humanity, but to do that we must identify with humanity, and also trust humanity which we have no natural reason to do...
I assume that you meant to say that we have no natural reason not to trust humanity. I trust humanity, but only under certain environmental conditions. Indeed, we should broaden our sense of community to humanity as a whole, but communities always have inner conflicts, and the resolution of those conflicts always depends on environmental conditions.

salima

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 06:32 pm
@Kroni,
i believe that children dont seem to be born with any moral sense-but they are also not born with any desire to hurt. they are more or less born with not much sense at all.

i can agree that a person's morals are shaped by their environment, meaning family and the way that family has treated them, as well as their experience in the community where they live, remembering what their station is within it also affects how they perceive morality. however, if they stop and think about it they may find that inwardly something is against the morals they have imbibed, and then, as fido said, it is possible with great difficulty to change.

then the trick is to search the world for a community that matches one's newly accepted morals.

hue-man

Reply Thu 19 Nov, 2009 07:39 pm
@salima,
salima;104564 wrote:
i believe that children dont seem to be born with any moral sense-but they are also not born with any desire to hurt. they are more or less born with not much sense at all.

Some children are born with an innate desire to hurt or display anti-social behavior. All children are born with emotional senses, but not all children are emotional in the same ways.

salima

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:39 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;104571 wrote:
Some children are born with an innate desire to hurt or display anti-social behavior. All children are born with emotional senses, but not all children are emotional in the same ways.

so you are saying that some people are born with innate emotional tendencies that cause them to hurt others, but no one is born with a preset moral code? is anyone born with innate moral tendencies to be good to others? is it all a question of how they are reacted to by society(meaning parents, siblings, peers, authority figures) and the anti-social get feedback that reinforces their bad behavior, inculcating their hatred, while those who do good are largely ignored or bullied and turn anti-social?

i was wondering if maybe we werent all born with a preset moral code, but our emotional tendencies along with behavior and attitudes that are encouraged in our environment cause us to forsake it and take up some other banner...

jeeprs

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 03:20 am
@Kroni,
I can't help but be reminded, in this conversation, of the work of Emile Durkheim, one of the pioneers of sociology and anthropology, a great deal of whose work was focussed on discovering the sociological basis for value systems.

I have extracted some text from a few online sources to provide an idea of his work.

Quote:
Durkheim was concerned primarily with how societies could maintain their integrity and coherence in the modern era, when things such as shared religious and ethnic background could no longer be assumed. He was one of the first people to explain the existence and quality of different parts of a society by reference to what function they served in maintaining the quotidian - that is, by how they make society "work". He focused not on what motivates the actions of individuals, but rather on the study of social facts, a term which he coined to describe phenomena which have an existence in and of themselves and are not bound to the actions of individuals.

Durkheim argued that social facts have, sui generis, an independent existence greater and more objective than the actions of the individuals that compose society. Being exterior to the individual person, social facts may thus also exercise coercive power on the various people composing society, as it can sometimes be observed in the case of formal laws and regulations, but also in phenomena such as church practices or family norms.[12] Unlike the facts studied in natural sciences, a "social" fact thus refers to a specific category of phenomena: it consists of ways of acting, thinking, feeling, external to the individual and endowed with a power of coercion, by reason of which they control him. According to Durkheim, these phenomena cannot be reduced to biological or psychological grounds.

Hence even the most "individualistic" or "subjective" phenomena, such as suicide, would be regarded by Durkheim as objective social facts. Individuals composing society do not directly cause suicide: suicide exists independently in society, whether an individual person wants it or not. Whether a person "leaves" a society does not change anything to the fact that this society will still contain suicides. Sociology's task thus consists of discovering the qualities and characteristics of such social facts, which can be discovered through a quantitative or experimental approach (Durkheim extensively relied on statistics).

One of the most basic sociologic principles Durkheim proposed was that society operates on a set of laws. He believed that society was an "accumulated body of facts - of language, laws, customs, ideas, values, traditions, techniques, and products - all of which are connected to one another and exist in a manner quite "external to individual human minds." He goes on to theorize that this accumulation pre-exists individual birth, and surpasses individual death as a means to condition members to be contributing members of society who understand how to behave within its pre-determined rules. These theories on the functionalism of law in society are key to examining Durkheim's theories on the existence and function of religion.

His theory of religion is quite interesting also. If there is any interest I shall find some information on that.

salima

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 07:28 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104611 wrote:
I can't help but be reminded, in this conversation, of the work of Emile Durkheim, one of the pioneers of sociology and anthropology, a great deal of whose work was focussed on discovering the sociological basis for value systems.

I have extracted some text from a few online sources to provide an idea of his work.

His theory of religion is quite interesting also. If there is any interest I shall find some information on that.

i am especially interested in his ideas-can you give me the sources where you extracted these? dont want to comment yet, but it sounds like it could have impact on many areas of life.

Fido

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 09:28 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;104611 wrote:

Durkheim was getting paid by the word... Simply, we are all born into society which we may recognize as our family... What that family knows, as the truth, is culture, and this is the social self...So the life of society is our life, and the culture of society is our truth, and this we accept with society, or reject with individualism...Society and culture are forms, but forms as institutions are built to defend them, and morality when it has the force of law is such an institution... And here I am reminded of the Greek word for form which is, Morphe.... Our society is an attempt to build a nation state out of so many nations... There is only one social glue capable of holding diverse peoples together, and that is justice; because plunder sets them apart... The need for social justice always holds people together even while the wealth and plunder that has been set aside becomes a point of contention... So societies morphe, and ours, Western Society which was built upon the concept of social and communal rights has seen those rights shredded by the monster of individualism...There is a natural balance in society where the rights of the strong to what they could easily take by might is traded for honor which is a currency beyond all counterfeiting...To attempt to counterfeit honor in the form of money is like the counterfeiting of money itself: a sort of treason... Money is the counterfeit of honor, so those societies with money see the waste of honor to the point where no trust can be enjoyed, and where no common morality will instruct the young...Morality is community... Their fortunes rise or fall together... So we see fortunes rise or fall in states so soon as they forget their truth, their culture, and the common spirit which once bound them..

And let me offer a new word: Morpheme...It is an idea like Justice or liberty or rights which cannot be further divided, and still hold its meaning... These concepts are simple even if their application seems difficult... Those who wish to suggest with a word that there may be two kinds of freedom, or more kinds of rights do not grasp the concept, and must be challenge to defend their choice of words which deny truth, and misinform...

hue-man

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 10:24 am
@salima,
salima;104608 wrote:
so you are saying that some people are born with innate emotional tendencies that cause them to hurt others, but no one is born with a preset moral code? is anyone born with innate moral tendencies to be good to others? is it all a question of how they are reacted to by society(meaning parents, siblings, peers, authority figures) and the anti-social get feedback that reinforces their bad behavior, inculcating their hatred, while those who do good are largely ignored or bullied and turn anti-social?

When you say 'moral tendencies', I assume that you mean the tendency to be 'good'. Yes, many people are born with innate tendencies to be 'good' or nice to other people. I'm saying that a person is not born with the conventional idea of moral judgment. Also, morality is more than how you treat other people. It's also about how you conduct yourself and live your life. People may naturally feel a certain way about living their life or treating people a certain way, but it's society that tells them which ways are right or wrong. Of course, society doesn't always give the best advice on the matter.

salima;104608 wrote:
i was wondering if maybe we werent all born with a preset moral code, but our emotional tendencies along with behavior and attitudes that are encouraged in our environment cause us to forsake it and take up some other banner...

We are born only with emotional tendencies, not a formally moral code. Environmental influences play a role in determining whether or not we forsake certain emotions and whether we think those emotions are good or bad. Psychopaths, for example, are aware that society holds that what they are doing is wrong, but because of their lack of empathy they don't truly understand the idea of right and wrong. This lack of empathy and impulse control is innate in psychopaths due to biological differences in the brain. This is why their behavior is often destructive to themselves and other people.

Fido

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:13 pm
@Kroni,
Knowledge equals culture, and culture equals community, and community equals morality... It is, and is not created... Morality is the environment we adapt to at birth, and usually before we can reason we have learned the basis of morality...

hue-man

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:26 pm
@Fido,
Fido;104704 wrote:
Knowledge equals culture, and culture equals community, and community equals morality... It is, and is not created... Morality is the environment we adapt to at birth, and usually before we can reason we have learned the basis of morality...

I disagree that community automatically equals morality. People can cooperate for both moral and immoral reasons, and the collectivist socio-political philosophy can often lead to a mob mentality. This mob mentality can also serve to suppress the values of the individual.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 01:50 pm
@Kroni,
hue-man wrote:

Keep in mind, moral judgments are not morals. Moral judgments require reason - they are most definitely logical. One could say A is bad because A causes B, and A is worse than C because C only causes D. Extrapolations of this can be seen in many ethical models. Not sure if you implied this, just pointing it out.

I agree morals seem to be based on emotions - I cannot imagine something "wrong" or "right", "good" or "bad", within moral contexts, without first considering the emotions I have attached to those judgments.

That said, I think we're deviating from the OP just a tad. I think the OP was asking: From where does morality come from - what is morality's biological (or otherwise) root? And to answer that thoroughly, I think we would need a lot more information. I think there is correlation with our emotional patterns, but I'm not quite sure why we feel the need to act on those emotional patterns.

Perhaps there are theories or models already out to explain some, if not all, of this. Does anyone know of any that are supported by relevant experts?

Quote:

I disagree that community automatically equals morality. People can cooperate for both moral and immoral reasons, and the collectivist socio-political philosophy can often lead to a mob mentality. This mob mentality can also serve to suppress the values of the individual.

I think Fido means that compassion (perhaps "good" moral judgment) is the glue by which community is held together. Without it, community, as we know it, would not exist. I think I would agree.

-

Oh, and in response to the thread title, I don't think morals are something humans "create". Surely we are the only creatures we know of which have a sense of morality, but it doesn't really seem like a choice or something we willfully have brought upon ourselves. I can choose to act immorally (as opposed to my morals), but I've never, that I know of, had the choice to be amoral (not have morals at all). I still feel what I consider to be "right" or "wrong", regardless of what choice I eventually make. It seems ingrained, a counterpart to my emotional sensibility. Is it not the same for all of you?

hue-man

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 03:21 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;104710 wrote:
Keep in mind, moral judgments are not morals. Moral judgments require reason - they are most definitely logical. One could say A is bad because A causes B, and A is worse than C because C only causes D. Extrapolations of this can be seen in many ethical models. Not sure if you implied this, just pointing it out.

Moral judgments are not morals in and of themselves. Moral judgments are statements of values and prescriptions, so if anything they are reflective of moral positions.

Zetherin;104710 wrote:
That said, I think we're deviating from the OP just a tad. I think the OP was asking: From where does morality come from - what is morality's biological (or otherwise) root? And to answer that thoroughly, I think we would need a lot more information. I think there is correlation with our emotional patterns, but I'm not quite sure why we feel the need to act on those emotional patterns.

Perhaps there are theories or models already out to explain some, if not all, of this. Does anyone know of any that are supported by relevant experts?

There's a book written by distinguished CUNY philosopher Jesse Prinz entitled "The Emotional Construction of Morals". I haven't read it yet, but I have read some essays on the theory. I suppose that we feel the need to act on emotional patterns because of their evolutionary utility.

Zetherin;104710 wrote:
I think Fido means that compassion (perhaps "good" moral judgment) is the glue by which community is held together. Without it, community, as we know it, would not exist. I think I would agree.

That's exactly what I think he means and I disagree. A community can be glued together by hate as well as compassion. Of course I believe that compassion is a better glue than hate in most situations.

Zetherin;104710 wrote:
Oh, and in response to the thread title, I don't think morals are something humans "create". Surely we are the only creatures we know of which have a sense of morality, but it doesn't really seem like a choice or something we willfully have brought upon ourselves. I can choose to act immorally (as opposed to my morals), but I've never, that I know of, had the choice to be amoral (not have morals at all). I still feel what I consider to be "right" or "wrong", regardless of what choice I eventually make. It seems ingrained, a counterpart to my emotional sensibility. Is it not the same for all of you?

Humans create moral concepts in the same way that we create anything I suppose (subconsciously). All animals display emotions and preferences for certain actions, but we are the only animals we know of that have a conceptual sense of morality.

The guilt you may feel for a perceived bad action is a combination of your innate emotional tendencies, as well conventional morality and cultural norms.

jeeprs

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 03:25 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;104710 wrote:
I don't think morals are something humans "create". Surely we are the only creatures we know of which have a sense of morality, but it doesn't really seem like a choice or something we willfully have brought upon ourselves.

I agree. The origins of morality, ethics, and social codes came from myth, religion, and ritual - the Ten Commandments, the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Vedas, Aesops's Fables, the Greek myths, the Norse myths, and so on. I suppose the most humanist moral code would have been the Analects of Confucious, although this always ackowledge 'The Will of Heaven' also. In traditional society there could have been no concept of humans 'creating' the laws, they were created by the gods and imposed or given to human society.

Nowadays people see things differently and many believe that humans created religion. In fact that is maybe what the OP is aiming at. Kind of a revisionist history of how morals came about, now that we understand evolutionary biology. But anyway sociology and evolutionary psychology are still relevant sources to these questions.

Zetherin

Reply Fri 20 Nov, 2009 04:31 pm
@Kroni,
hue-man wrote:
Moral judgments are not morals in and of themselves. Moral judgments are statements of values and prescriptions, so if anything they are reflective of moral positions.

I never said that moral judgments aren't reflective of moral positions. What I did say was that when we make a moral judgment, and specifically when we construct a model of ethics, we reason. We're interpreting the feelings from which the morals are derived i.e. A is bad because A causes B, and A is worse than C because C only causes D, and so on.

Quote:
There's a book written by distinguished CUNY philosopher Jesse Prinz entitled "The Emotional Construction of Morals". I haven't read it yet, but I have read some essays on the theory. I suppose that we feel the need to act on emotional patterns because of their evolutionary utility.

Thanks, I'm going to take a look at this.

Quote:
That's exactly what I think he means and I disagree. A community can be glued together by hate as well as compassion. Of course I believe that compassion is a better glue than hate in most situations.

I know of no human coummunity that is held together by hate. I also don't know if we would even call such a gathering of humans, a community.

Quote:
Humans create moral concepts in the same way that we create anything I suppose (subconsciously). All animals display emotions and preferences for certain actions, but we are the only animals we know of that have a conceptual sense of morality.

When I see "create", I think "willful conception". I see what you're saying, though.

jeeprs wrote:
The origins of morality, ethics, and social codes came from myth, religion, and ritual - the Ten Commandments, the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Vedas, Aesops's Fables, the Greek myths, the Norse myths, and so on

Do they? Or do myth, religion, and ritual just help facilitate?

Quote:
Nowadays people see things differently and many believe that humans created religion.

We certainly created the doctrines, scriptures, and traditions from which most religions are based, but I don't think we created morality. You think the origins of morality are religious? I'm thinking religions came after the fact - we had morality before any religious endeavor. Hm.

Thanks for the discussion, guys.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 04:41:11