Why are people virtuous when they are?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Icon

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 09:07 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I think that you make some valid points in regard to the sometimes unpredictability of a value. Determining the outcome of a value is the not the same as determining the outcome of say a collapsed star. Things that are dependent on the will of the mind can be unpredictable at times. However, the examples you give reflect good by-products of the vice, not a direct product of the vice itself.

Example 1. Desire for profit is not always the result of greed, but let's assume the man is greedy. If the man happened to create a technology that helped save thousands of lives, it was not a direct result of greed. It was a by-product with no intent whatsoever.

Example 2. I know that pride is often considered to be a vice, but I think it depends on the type of pride. A little bit of pride in yourself goes a long way. Excessive pride or ego is the vice, because it often leads to a bad outcome.

Example 3. The man may have attained the woman due to lustful desire, but his staying faithful and marrying her was not an act of lust. It was an act of love.

As I said, you made good points, but I think that all it shows is that things that are mind-dependent are more unpredictable than things that are mind-independent. It may also reveal that every right entails a wrong, and vice-versa. Whether or not something is considered to be a vice or virtue depends on its tendency or capacity for good or bad outcomes, and you don't need bad reasons to do good things.

You are proving my point through practice.

I am a deontologist in that I subscribe to the thinking that the outcome is what is important and not the intent.

You obviously have the intent in mind. Therefore we cannot agree on whether or not these things are virtuous action.

So what are we left with? Floating definitions. Un-equal measurements on the same scale. Pointless refutation over good results. This is my point precisely. Virtue is a non sequitur. It is a sham designed to allocate positive or negative attributes to neutral action and intent. It is a word designed to give meaning or purpose to locally accepted positive action. It cannot be universal by definition or application. It cannot even be associative from one culture to another for the most part. Even within the community you have differences of opinion on virtue according to circumstances such as religion, experience, ethical subscription, personality, ethnicity, gender, and so forth. You can attempt to place value on the word all day long but we will only conflict because, by way of virtue :shifty:, I cannot accept your attempt to apply value to a "non-word".

Caroline

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 11:19 am
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
So Virtue is a effort based on self standards?

I wonder if virtue has anything to do with mind constructs. You may say to yourself that listening before you speak is a virtue. But then I wonder about if listening is worth its weight in virtue without understanding. Then comes the question of if you use that understanding to formulate your own view on things. It just seems that our actions are a systematic result of wherever virtue comes from. So when you say self-control is a from of virtue, does it mean its how we express virtue through some form of self recognition?

Yes to your first question-my self standards and what others expect, (to be treated right).
But the second part im confused about what you're saying coz it seems like your contradicting yourself because you say '......not understanding' then '........if you use that understanding' Recognition of what? It's what i deem to be right for the sitution and me.

If you say to yourself listen before you speak is a virtue then wouldnt you have learned that by experincing it yourself for you to be saying that to yourself or do you mean you just tell yourself because someone told you it was a good thing to do?

hue-man

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 12:30 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
You are proving my point through practice.

I am a deontologist in that I subscribe to the thinking that the outcome is what is important and not the intent.

You obviously have the intent in mind. Therefore we cannot agree on whether or not these things are virtuous action.

So what are we left with? Floating definitions. Un-equal measurements on the same scale. Pointless refutation over good results. This is my point precisely. Virtue is a non sequitur. It is a sham designed to allocate positive or negative attributes to neutral action and intent. It is a word designed to give meaning or purpose to locally accepted positive action. It cannot be universal by definition or application. It cannot even be associative from one culture to another for the most part. Even within the community you have differences of opinion on virtue according to circumstances such as religion, experience, ethical subscription, personality, ethnicity, gender, and so forth. You can attempt to place value on the word all day long but we will only conflict because, by way of virtue :shifty:, I cannot accept your attempt to apply value to a "non-word".

Doesn't deontology focus on the rightness or wrongness of the intentions behind the action and not the consequences or outcomes? Doesn't deontology hold that the standards for the rightness or wrongness of an action is independent of the good or bad generated by the action? Please clarify this?

Why does it have to be an or situation between the intent of an action and its result? Why shouldn't the intent and the result both matter equally? I believe that the two can be reconciled. I think the problem is that many virtue ethicists only look at focusing on what the action said about the person's character and not on the consequences of the action. I like to focus on both the intent or character and the result or outcome as equally important. Only focusing on character and intent does have its problems, but so does focusing only on consequences and not the intent or character of the person. Only focusing on consequences is a philosophy of the ends justifies the means. If you believe in utilitarianism (a form of consequentialism) then throwing your mother in front of a train to save five other people is the right thing to do :perplexed:. A philosophy of the ends justify the means is invalid, because we all know that you don't need a bad reason to do a good thing.

As for the universality and impartiality of virtues and vices, you may want to rethink the statement that virtues and vices cannot be universal and impartial. Whether or not a person wants to value those virtues does not determine whether or not the virtues fit the four given criteria. The values of wisdom, fortitude, temperance, kindness and fairness for example, do fit the criteria of universality, impartiality, compatibility and maximality. An example of a relative ethical value is piety, which is not fundamental because it does not fit the four criteria at all. Fairness, on the other hand, is universally applicable for obvious reasons. Values that do not fit the criteria are relative values, not fundamental ones. If the values are relative to religion, gender, ethnicity and so forth, then the values cannot be justified.

Dichanthelium

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 03:28 pm
@Icon,
I have to preface this by mentioning that if you thought anything I posted was intended as sarcastic or discourteous, then I am happy to apologize. I certainly didn't consciously introduce sarcasm. Nor do I think it is the least bit conducive to a constructive transaction.

You made an assertion. "Virtue is a sham." If I insist that you back up your assertion with logical proofs, I don't see why that should raise your ire!

Icon wrote:
The fact that you cannot measure virtue does in fact mean that it is a sham as it is a form of measurement. ... virtue is measuring the legitimate ethical nature of an action or state...

Okay, are you saying that your definition of virtue, which hinges on the concept of measuring, is the universally (at least among scholars, let's say) agreed upon definition?

Joe

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 04:43 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
Yes to your first question-my self standards and what others expect, (to be treated right).
But the second part im confused about what you're saying coz it seems like your contradicting yourself because you say '......not understanding' then '........if you use that understanding' Recognition of what? It's what i deem to be right for the sitution and me.

If you say to yourself listen before you speak is a virtue then wouldnt you have learned that by experincing it yourself for you to be saying that to yourself or do you mean you just tell yourself because someone told you it was a good thing to do?

Understanding is sort of like a latter, you know? I'm more intrigued at the idea of virtue being a measurement of how a persons standards of virtue are accomplished.
So if I consider everything that I do to improve my action toward others and everything around me in the best intentional way possible, what does it mean if while climbing the latter of understanding(personal), I discover that my previous actions and standards were contradictory to my new standards? Where is the separation of intent and judgment that a action of mine is worthy of being called virtue.

A person at war kills another person and believes that he is virtuous for doing what he considers right, no matter the price it has on himself and others. Another person has their own standards and view points about those same actions. So basically, is it even possible to say that virtue is something that can be taught or even shared? If something is virtuous but also has lines and divides between people, and can be used for any action or intent, then maybe it only represents the ego and nothing else. I can say my actions are virtuous, thus making them almost non susceptible to scrutiny. Virtue=Ego patting ourselves on the back?Laughing

Those are just some questions and ideas I have on virtue. It seems too easy to go, "This is virtue because It makes me a better person." I'm not saying your wrong or I'm right, I just got questions, and questions, and questions........:brickwall:

Dichanthelium

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 05:53 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline wrote:
I think virtue can be taught but when you're an adult although I know it is right to exercise self-control, (for example), because that's what others think, i exercise self-control because it would make me feel bad if i didnt so i dont do it coz i was taught i do it because it is the right thing to do for myself.

I think I get your point. I may have done something as a child merely because I was taught to do it. Later, as an adult, I realized that the teaching has validity. Now, I do it not merely because I was taught (indoctrinated), but because I have personally validated the teaching. The reason for doing it has changed, but the practice has persisted. Is that accurate?

Dichanthelium

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2009 06:12 pm
@Joe,
Joe wrote:
I understand your position. Thats why I said in contrast in individuals with different perceptions and situations.:surrender:

But the thing I am struggling with is the possibility that some things we call "virtues" may be universal. Regardless of what different individuals may say, is there any evidence that any culture anywhere on the face of this earth, at any time, has ever denied that self-control is a virtue? Is there any evidence that any human society, anywhere, at any time, has ever promoted the idea that everyone should just do whatever the hell they feel like doing, and by doing whatever the hell they feel like doing, without regard for how that may affect the other people around them, that's fine, it just doesn't matter?

Caroline

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 07:23 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
I think I get your point. I may have done something as a child merely because I was taught to do it. Later, as an adult, I realized that the teaching has validity. Now, I do it not merely because I was taught (indoctrinated), but because I have personally validated the teaching. The reason for doing it has changed, but the practice has persisted. Is that accurate?

Yes, as a child you learn from your parents/guardians the difference between right and wrong, what's bad and that you shoudn't do bad things and so on, so in that sense you are taught, and when you grow up you learn from your experiences what is good and what is wrong as you become independent. If you take for an example the japanese and the 'rape of Nanking', the japanese soldiers were brainwashed into believing that the atrocities they performed on the chinese were acceptable, an example of how a bad thing is taught, however i believe that we are capable of independent thought too, for instance i can figure out myself that if i hurt an animal it would show distress so i would know that is wrong, because virtue is handed down to us by our ancestors then surely it had to start with someone in the beginning so does that not suggest that as an adult at least, we know the difference between right and wrong inherently?

Khethil

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 02:59 pm
@Jacob phil,
What you are taught to do, by your parents, is just as likely as not to be later considered a 'virtue' (by yourself or anyone else).

The notion that there is some inherent adult attribution/predisposition towards what one might call 'virtuous' isn't really supported. I think I'd agree that amongst considerate, cooperative adults this might be true to some extent, but the variance at-large in human behavior would preclude any validity in it being 'innate'.

There may be some majority tendency, in like-cultures, towards similar behavioral standards being considered virtuous. Even so, there's too much variance to come up with virtually any rock-solid standard. That being said, I think *I* could come up with a list of human virtues that could apply everywhere; but I'd be coming from my own perspective and priorities.

... which puts us back at the beginning of the examination.

Phosphorous

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 06:59 pm
@Jacob phil,
As far as virtue goes, the concept strikes me as a set of characteristics agreed upon by consensus to be encouraged in a 'proper person'. The reason for the ambiguity is because this only works in theory, but doesn't always work in practice. As individuals, we all have particular traits that we admire in others, but who are we to declare these traits as "virtuous" by our own authority?

That's the setup. It takes some organization, government, or leader, to create the census among society of just what is "virtuous", and as such, virtues can change along with regimes.

For example, the Catholic church says it is virtuous to be 1.meek(do what we tell you), 2. unquestioningly faithful(believe what we say even if it doesn't make sense) and 3.poor(give god(us) your money).

And of course the catholic church must be right to claim these things as virtues. After all, it's a pretty big organization. A lot of people believe what is virtuous because their religion/government/teachers tell them it's virtuous.

Given that, it's clear that a country filled with individualistic and strong willed individuals would probably have the most difficulty ever realising any set of positive "virtues". Which may be regrettable, but not in my opinion. After all, individualism means taking responsibility for your OWN ideas, actions, and consequences of your actions. And if you can do that, why do you need someone to tell you what is virtuous?

rhinogrey

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2009 08:55 pm
@Phosphorous,
Phosphorous wrote:
And if you can do that, why do you need someone to tell you what is virtuous?

Because humans naturally seek social/consensual confirmation of their own self-worth?

The Self can only self-preserve, it cannot self-legitimize.

Icon

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 06:49 am
@Dichanthelium,
hue-man wrote:
Doesn't deontology focus on the rightness or wrongness of the intentions behind the action and not the consequences or outcomes? Doesn't deontology hold that the standards for the rightness or wrongness of an action is independent of the good or bad generated by the action? Please clarify this?

Why does it have to be an or situation between the intent of an action and its result? Why shouldn't the intent and the result both matter equally? I believe that the two can be reconciled. I think the problem is that many virtue ethicists only look at focusing on what the action said about the person's character and not on the consequences of the action. I like to focus on both the intent or character and the result or outcome as equally important. Only focusing on character and intent does have its problems, but so does focusing only on consequences and not the intent or character of the person. Only focusing on consequences is a philosophy of the ends justifies the means. If you believe in utilitarianism (a form of consequentialism) then throwing your mother in front of a train to save five other people is the right thing to do :perplexed:. A philosophy of the ends justify the means is invalid, because we all know that you don't need a bad reason to do a good thing.

As for the universality and impartiality of virtues and vices, you may want to rethink the statement that virtues and vices cannot be universal and impartial. Whether or not a person wants to value those virtues does not determine whether or not the virtues fit the four given criteria. The values of wisdom, fortitude, temperance, kindness and fairness for example, do fit the criteria of universality, impartiality, compatibility and maximality. An example of a relative ethical value is piety, which is not fundamental because it does not fit the four criteria at all. Fairness, on the other hand, is universally applicable for obvious reasons. Values that do not fit the criteria are relative values, not fundamental ones. If the values are relative to religion, gender, ethnicity and so forth, then the values cannot be justified.

How can you define fundamental values without the ability to prove their universal applicability. You say that they are fundamental values but I see no evidence.

As far as deontology, I may have gotten that one backwards. Admittedly, it has been many years since I have studied the subject of ethics.

The point that I have been trying to make is simple. Humans differe far too much on an individual and social scale to ever apply set values to things such as virtue, ethics, good and bad. These are all a matter of perspective. If you are to sit here and claim that you know what is right for all mankind then I am going to have to call you a fool or the most knowledge filled man on the planet. That would require you to know everyone on the planet in an individual and social sense. I doubt that you do. There are no fundamentals when it comes to the human mind. Each mind is unique in almost every way including their perception of right and wrong and why it is so.

Dichanthelium wrote:
I have to preface this by mentioning that if you thought anything I posted was intended as sarcastic or discourteous, then I am happy to apologize. I certainly didn't consciously introduce sarcasm. Nor do I think it is the least bit conducive to a constructive transaction.

You made an assertion. "Virtue is a sham." If I insist that you back up your assertion with logical proofs, I don't see why that should raise your ire!

Okay, are you saying that your definition of virtue, which hinges on the concept of measuring, is the universally (at least among scholars, let's say) agreed upon definition?

My point is that you cannot define virtue at all. I am a very direct communicator and do not hide words behind words. What I say is exactly what I mean. There is no possible way to set a standard value, measurement or definition of virtue or individual virtues because it is something which exists in the human mind. Anything which exists in the human mind is directly affected by the individuals perception of that term. Killing a man may be virtuous to a man who feels it is his right to do so while I say that it is not. Who is right or wrong? Neither of us.

There is, in my opinion, no such thing as right and wrong action per se. Only left and right. What prevents me from killing or stabbing or raping or doing any nof these things which I would consider horrible is the simple cause and effect method. I do not do these things because a) I would not want them done to me and b) I do not want to deal with the consequences that come from these action.

To put things into terms of right and wrong is to set judgement upon the action. The action does not make any difference in the long run. The results are what matter. Results are not always as you plan and thus you went about acheiving them in the wrong way. The best you can do is learn from your mistakes and move on.

To tell me that my actions have to be right or wrong is to tell me that my actions will always be wrong. I see right as the best possible outcome. Since I do not ever have ALL of the information about a particular subject, I cannot produce the "right" results or commit to the "right" action. Thus, I can never be right. So I do not subscribe to right and wrong, virtue or vice, or many of these other judgements which mankind seems to want to place on action and consequence. I simply see it as a cause and effect universe. If you think about it, nature has no right and wrong. I am a bigger fan of nature than mankind in that nature seems to have things under control a great deal better than we do.

Khethil

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 07:00 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
... My point is that you cannot define virtue at all. ... There is no possible way to set a standard value, measurement or definition of virtue or individual virtues because it is something which exists in the human mind. Anything which exists in the human mind is directly affected by the individuals perception of that term.

This is quite true and extremely important to correctly contextualize such discussions. It's not just a 'relative' term, its one that fits into that nefarious category that is wholly-contingent on the perceivers value set; and as such, has no universally-defined (and/or 'innate') standardization.

Even Locke (whom I've recently had the unfortunate occasion to re-re-re read) knew this. Speaking on other such concepts he'd said,[INDENT]"... Where shall one find any, either controversial debate, or familiar discourse, concerning honour, faith, grace, religion, church... wherein it is not easy to observe the different notions men have of them? ... and so all the contests that follow thereupon are only about the meaning of a sound". (Concerning Human Understanding, Ch 9, p9)
[/INDENT]Again, I'd like to add that I'll bet I could come up with a set of behavioral descriptions that could be universally applied (and they'd likely be very close to the ones you all are thinking about here). But that's something alltogether different.

Thanks

hue-man

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 08:15 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
How can you define fundamental values without the ability to prove their universal applicability. You say that they are fundamental values but I see no evidence.

As far as deontology, I may have gotten that one backwards. Admittedly, it has been many years since I have studied the subject of ethics.

The point that I have been trying to make is simple. Humans differe far too much on an individual and social scale to ever apply set values to things such as virtue, ethics, good and bad. These are all a matter of perspective. If you are to sit here and claim that you know what is right for all mankind then I am going to have to call you a fool or the most knowledge filled man on the planet. That would require you to know everyone on the planet in an individual and social sense. I doubt that you do. There are no fundamentals when it comes to the human mind. Each mind is unique in almost every way including their perception of right and wrong and why it is so.

Why does this sound like an argument against morality all together? With this type of counter argument I have to ask . . . are you a relativist or a nihilist?

I gave you the criteria for which a value should be considered fundamental. If you have some other criteria that you think is better than what I have given then please share it with me?

Each mind is indeed unique, but most certainly not in every way. Humans are more alike than you may be willing to realize. What we see as a good or bad outcome is determined by our emotive reactions to the outcome. For example, everyone feels good when they are treated fairly or kindly by someone else. That social emotion is hard-wired into our brains for evolutionary reasons. No one feels good being stabbed to death, robbed, raped, cursed, etc. etc. Everyone suffers a bad outcome from making unwise, untempered decisions that negatively affect themselves and other people.

As far as people's differences in what they determine to be a value is concerned. Scientific studies of the human brain shows that when determining values, everyone who has moral sensibility goes through many of the same processes to decide what is right or wrong. The environment that they've been raised in plays a very big role in how their morals and other values develop. Just because moral values can differ from culture to culture, or even person to person, does not discredit the thesis that there can be a set of moral principles that apply to an agent regardless of their background or willingness to adopt the moral value. This reflects the universality of moral goodness or badness that human beings have shared and developed ever since our evolving as a species.

Let me ask you a question. How can you justify the argument that a purely consequential mode of morality and ethics should be adopted by everyone who wants to make moral decisions?

Icon

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 08:57 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Why does this sound like an argument against morality all together? With this type of counter argument I have to ask . . . are you a relativist or a nihilist?

I gave you the criteria for which a value should be considered fundamental. If you have some other criteria that you think is better than what I have given then please share it with me?

Each mind is indeed unique, but most certainly not in every way. Humans are more alike than you may be willing to realize. What we see as a good or bad outcome is determined by our emotive reactions to the outcome. For example, everyone feels good when they are treated fairly or kindly by someone else. That social emotion is hard-wired into our brains for evolutionary reasons. No one feels good being stabbed to death, robbed, raped, cursed, etc. etc. Everyone suffers a bad outcome from making unwise, untempered decisions that negatively affect themselves and other people.

As far as people's differences in what they determine to be a value is concerned. Scientific studies of the human brain shows that when determining values, everyone who has moral sensibility goes through many of the same processes to decide what is right or wrong. The environment that they've been raised in plays a very big role in how their morals and other values develop. Just because moral values can differ from culture to culture, or even person to person, does not discredit the thesis that there can be a set of moral principles that apply to an agent regardless of their background or willingness to adopt the moral value. This reflects the universality of moral goodness or badness that human beings have shared and developed ever since our evolving as a species.

Let me ask you a question. How can you justify the argument that a purely consequential mode of morality and ethics should be adopted by everyone who wants to make moral decisions?

First of all, I am making a point against morality as a whole. Even more so, I making a point against all measures that have no physical relationship to something objective.

I cannot say that I am a nihilist because I think that nihilism is ridiculous and impossible as you have to believe in something to believe in nothing. Mainly, you have to believe in the existence of something in order to believe in nothing. I am not truly a relativist either. If anything I would consider myself a subjectivist in the opposite understanding of the term.

I see all things in this field of study to be subjective and thus false. Most subjectivists see that it is not falsifiable and thus it is subjective truth. I see things as not proveable and thus consider all subjective truths to be false. I do not see objectivism as correct either because subjective nature, which does obviously exist, can alter the very way that we interact and percieve objective reality.

In short, I see mankind as inherently flawed in that we try to overcomplicate things by attaching negative and positive traits to everything. If we do not add these attributes then everything because simple as we do not attach emotion to action. My way of thinking simply states that all action, if categorized as right or wrong, is wrong. But if you remove the right and wrong from action then you are left with a very interesting result. Without right and wrong we only have left and right. We choose to go left and something happens or we choose to go right and something happens. These events lead to more choices which lead to more actions and results. In this way, I calculate the best course of action according to the predicted outcome as well as several probable outcomes. This does not mean that I am a "bad" person. It simply means that I reserve my emotions for other purposes rather than action. My actions are what you may consider generally moral as I do not think it is ever a good choice to "negatively" effect the emotional states of others unless it is absolutely necessary. In other words, I understand that my way of thinking is very obscure and uncommon, thus I do my best to not encroach on the rights of others to see the world as they wish to unless the subject comes under conversation such as t has here.

Also, to answer your other question, I do not think that everyone should adopt my way of thinking because that would be stating that my way of thinking is correct which it cannot be by my own reasoning. Thus, I do not see myself as correct nor do I see anyone else as correct. We are all wrong, just going about it in different ways. My theory basically makes it impossible to be correct until you know and understand all aspects of a situation and future situations which might be associated through a chain of cause and effect.

Dichanthelium

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 09:38 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
My point is that you cannot define virtue at all...

I don't know how to interpret that. Your statement, on the face of it, says the word itself has no definition. I don't think you mean that.

I was asking for your definition of the word "virtue" within the context of philosophical ethics. I'm just trying to rule out the possibility that our disagreement is primarily semantic.

Icon

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 09:56 am
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
I don't know how to interpret that. Your statement, on the face of it, says the word itself has no definition. I don't think you mean that.

I was asking for your definition of the word "virtue" within the context of philosophical ethics. I'm just trying to rule out the possibility that our disagreement is primarily semantic.

Read the entire post and the one before this one.

hue-man

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 11:36 am
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
First of all, I am making a point against morality as a whole. Even more so, I making a point against all measures that have no physical relationship to something objective.

I cannot say that I am a nihilist because I think that nihilism is ridiculous and impossible as you have to believe in something to believe in nothing. Mainly, you have to believe in the existence of something in order to believe in nothing. I am not truly a relativist either. If anything I would consider myself a subjectivist in the opposite understanding of the term.

I see all things in this field of study to be subjective and thus false. Most subjectivists see that it is not falsifiable and thus it is subjective truth. I see things as not proveable and thus consider all subjective truths to be false. I do not see objectivism as correct either because subjective nature, which does obviously exist, can alter the very way that we interact and percieve objective reality.

In short, I see mankind as inherently flawed in that we try to overcomplicate things by attaching negative and positive traits to everything. If we do not add these attributes then everything because simple as we do not attach emotion to action. My way of thinking simply states that all action, if categorized as right or wrong, is wrong. But if you remove the right and wrong from action then you are left with a very interesting result. Without right and wrong we only have left and right. We choose to go left and something happens or we choose to go right and something happens. These events lead to more choices which lead to more actions and results. In this way, I calculate the best course of action according to the predicted outcome as well as several probable outcomes. This does not mean that I am a "bad" person. It simply means that I reserve my emotions for other purposes rather than action. My actions are what you may consider generally moral as I do not think it is ever a good choice to "negatively" effect the emotional states of others unless it is absolutely necessary. In other words, I understand that my way of thinking is very obscure and uncommon, thus I do my best to not encroach on the rights of others to see the world as they wish to unless the subject comes under conversation such as t has here.

Also, to answer your other question, I do not think that everyone should adopt my way of thinking because that would be stating that my way of thinking is correct which it cannot be by my own reasoning. Thus, I do not see myself as correct nor do I see anyone else as correct. We are all wrong, just going about it in different ways. My theory basically makes it impossible to be correct until you know and understand all aspects of a situation and future situations which might be associated through a chain of cause and effect.

Well I'm glad that you've told me that you are arguing against morality. At least now I completely know where you stand. We can now make this debate a lot shorter.

You say that you are not a nihilist because you have to believe in something in order to believe in nothing. I also find nihilism to be ridiculous, but I'm not so sure that that's a good argument against it. What nihilism says is that because there is no objective meaning or purpose to the functions of the universe, life is inherently meaningless and pessimistic. My problem with that conclusion is that while I do believe that asking the subjectively necessary question as to whether there is intent, purpose or inherent meaning to reality and existence is an important insight, it is a mistake to believe that the answer to that question is the last word. What a nihilist should do is ask themselves why they are even asking such a question in the first place. These questions and there answers have emotive forces behind them, and that is why we value such questions in the first place. Not understanding the true motives behind such questions is why I believe most nihilists adhere to nihilism.

Your belief that anything that is subjective (mind-dependent) is false or completely meaningless is just nihilism without the admission. I am a positivist (not a radical logical positivist) and so I hold that moral statements are only false and meaningless if they are stated as propositions (a sentence that is stated to be true or false). Positivist epistemology holds that a statement is meaningless as a proposition if it is not logically decidable or empirically observable. This is also known as the verification principle. I therefore hold that moral sentences are meaningful questions, but they are meaningless as propositions because they state no true or false sentences, for they are not objective. Moral sentences are statements of value and are thus subjective. Therefore, they can only be deemed as right or wrong (not true or false) by the emotive and prescriptive forces behind such statements. The justification of such values must fit the logically valid criteria of universality, impartiality, maximality and compatibility to be considered as fundamental.

The ironic thing is that with all that you said, you still clearly have a concept of morality and ethics, but you don't seem to know how justify or clarify it as of yet. We both want the same outcome for our actions (the good). Our only disagreement is how we choose to approach moral problems.

Icon

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 12:58 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Well I'm glad that you've told me that you are arguing against morality. At least now I completely know where you stand. We can now make this debate a lot shorter.

You say that you are not a nihilist because you have to believe in something in order to believe in nothing. I also find nihilism to be ridiculous, but I'm not so sure that that's a good argument against it. What nihilism says is that because there is no objective meaning or purpose to the functions of the universe, life is inherently meaningless and pessimistic. My problem with that conclusion is that while I do believe that asking the subjectively necessary question as to whether there is intent, purpose or inherent meaning to reality and existence is an important insight, it is a mistake to believe that the answer to that question is the last word. What a nihilist should do is ask themselves why they are even asking such a question in the first place. These questions and there answers have emotive forces behind them, and that is why we value such questions in the first place. Not understanding the true motives behind such questions is why I believe most nihilists adhere to nihilism.

Your belief that anything that is subjective (mind-dependent) is false or completely meaningless is just nihilism without the admission. I am a positivist (not a radical logical positivist) and so I hold that moral statements are only false and meaningless if they are stated as propositions (a sentence that is stated to be true or false). Positivist epistemology holds that a statement is meaningless as a proposition if it is not logically decidable or empirically observable. This is also known as the verification principle. I therefore hold that moral sentences are meaningful questions, but they are meaningless as propositions because they state no true or false sentences, for they are not objective. Moral sentences are statements of value and are thus subjective. Therefore, they can only be deemed as right or wrong (not true or false) by the emotive and prescriptive forces behind such statements. The justification of such values must fit the logically valid criteria of universality, impartiality, maximality and compatibility to be considered as fundamental.

The ironic thing is that with all that you said, you still clearly have a concept of morality and ethics, but you don't seem to know how justify or clarify it as of yet. We both want the same outcome for our actions (the good). Our only disagreement is how we choose to approach moral problems.

I guess my main point in this is that I do not see any subjective data as relevant in the sense that it should be considered in any decision making process short of personal effect. I will not take an action which will hurt myself unless it will serve a greater purpose such as opening an avenue of thought/action which would otherwise be closed to me. I see the entire study of ethics to be somewhat of a joke only in that it has no real answer to any questions which you cannot find through self realization. Ethics, virtue, good, bad, right, wrong, all exist in the mind and the mind alone. As such, conversation of these topics will reveal nothing to an individual save for what they are already capable of contracting from their own experience.

Nihilism, as you explain it is still not wuite what I am talking about. I am not a pessimist as you might think according to my theory. I am actually a great optimist. The trick, as always, is how you look at it. I affirmed earlier that all of my action is incorrect as well as all of your action and the action of others. This does not mean that I am going to quit acting as I can never be correct. on the contrary, this means that I will act more and do more things which I would have never considered doing had I a grasp of right and wrong similar to others. I already know that my actions will not be correct and therefore, there is no point in not completing the actions which would normally be considered a fools endeavor. As a matter of fact, I have more reason to take the action then not if only to see the resulting data. As such, I am free of the complicated nature of false judgement. I allow natural processes to make the determination of such. If I commit a "good" act then a positive result should present itself. If not then it will not. Even with this, a positive action may result in a negative result. So the way I see it, any sort of judgement on right, wrong, etc. is the equivalent of trying to find the final digit in π. A useless endeavor as the calculation goes on forever.

I do not consider all emotional input to be worthless. I simply see it as contingent data not necessary for most choices of action.

Prime example: I know a girl who acts like a complete airhead all of the time. It drives many people crazy just to be around her but it gets her attention from guys. Problem is it is the wrong type of guy and even she knows it but it is something which she has learned to do subconsciously. I did not know her all that well at the time but I knew that she was smarter than that by how she addressed certain questions. Thus, I told her that I would really appreciate it if she would stop playing the role of stupid blond because it wasn't doing her or anyone else any good as was really a shame because I knew she was smarter than that. This is an action which no one else would take because they felt that it would be rude and terrible. They were using judgement based on emotion and the local virtue of accepting someone for who they presented themselves to be. I refused to follow that practice. She cried for two days and didn't call anyone. After two days, she came back and had dropped the dumb blond act. This was almost 8 months a go and her friends are still thanking me for it because it has really helped her out a great deal.

Had I listened to the local morals and virtues, I would have kept my mouth shut and she would still be doing it. Being that I refuse to subscribe to everyone else views of morality, I do this sort of thing quite often. I have become somewhat known for it and now people come to me when they have problems which they do not know how to address. Virtue, morality, ethics, all ideas which get in the way of living life. Concerns which you should not have to bother with. If you calculate the consequences, determine your desire to deal with them and output an action accordingly without the concern for right and wrong, you will be amazed how well you can do for yourself.

I am not saying that my way is right because i know that it is wrong. It is this realization that allows me to live free of concern and free of judgement. I challenege anyone who doubts that to try it if even for only 2 weeks and tell me how it goes.

Be honest, refuse judgement, understand that all action has consequence and future effect, deny the idea of right and wrong, and tell me what you conclude.

Dichanthelium

Reply Fri 3 Apr, 2009 03:12 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
Read the entire post and the one before this one.

Would you please stop being insulting and dismissive? I am trying to understand your point. If you really want me to assume that you do not believe the term "virtue" can be defined, then you leave me no choice but to point out that your position can be immediately refuted by consulting a dictionary. The whole point of my question was to find out how you define the term itself. Shall I guess? Icon's defintion of "virtue" is: "an erroneous and meaningless concept, commonly held, in the context of philosophical ethics, to provide standards for measuring good and bad actions."

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 03:02:10