Why are people virtuous when they are?

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Why are people virtuous when they are?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 11:41 am
I'ld like to get some opinions on this one.

Caroline

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@Jacob phil,
I dont know what do you think?

GoshisDead

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 06:18 pm
@Caroline,
Tough question considering the jury is still out on what exactly virtues and virtuous mean.

Caroline

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:21 am
@Jacob phil,
Is it because it feels the right thing to do at the time afterall if you do the opposite it doesn't benefit anyone.

Joe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 04:36 am
@Caroline,
I've talked to a couple of people about Virtue, and they always like to settle with "a common characteristic that is used rationally for people other then his or herself." Its basically the most simple explanation given that is widely agreed or atleast discussed.

For me Virtue seems only to exist with the expanding standards that we are going through as a species. The variables of different situations keep piling up with information and interaction. I haven't really thought about Virtue in different examples enough. Too much of a task. It will take the rest of my life.

Caroline

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 05:02 am
@Jacob phil,
According to one defination it means morally excellent.
Of course it does depend on what situation you're in, for instance if someone attacked me the right thing to do would be to use sufficient amount of restraint but personally I wouldn't care about that, I would make sure that they would think twice about attacking me in the future after they've recovered.Smile

Icon

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 11:28 am
@Caroline,
If you would like an insight as to my understanding of it then read the Meno.

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 11:46 am
@Icon,
Are you investigating the meaning of virtue or are you asking what motivates people to be virtuous?

If the former...

I think it's hard to beat the ancient concept that people are virtuous to the extent that they practice temperance, prudence, justice, and fortitude. Then you may want to add the Christian concepts of faith, hope, and love. Of course, this just puts you in the position of having to explore the meaning of these seven words within the intended context--which tends to be a very interesting exploration.

If the latter...

I think the answer depends on your assumptions concerning who we are, and where we are going.

Khethil

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 11:46 am
@Icon,
For whatever definition of virtue you ascribe to, if you want to understand the "why", you'll have to ask each person whom you observe exhibiting it. For some it's an outward manifestation of how they want to be, for others their motivation might be quite seedy (yet what we observed seemed to be virtuous).

There's probably a million different reasons; not the least of which is likely to be, "... its just what I did; I didn't look at it as 'virtuous'".

Another perspective: See the quote at the bottom of this message Smile

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:14 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
For whatever definition of virtue you ascribe to, if you want to understand the "why", you'll have to ask each person whom you observe exhibiting it. For some it's an outward manifestation of how they want to be, for others their motivation might be quite seedy (yet what we observed seemed to be virtuous).

There's probably a million different reasons; not the least of which is likely to be, "... its just what I did; I didn't look at it as 'virtuous'".

If we ask what is the virtue of a carpenter, we might say it is his skill in building what he sets out to build. Or if we ask what is the virtue of a singer, we might say that he/she produces pleasing sounds with the voice. So when we ask what is a virtuous human being, in the broadest sense, ought we not to look for some specific skills and qualities?

Khethil

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 01:41 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
If we ask what is the virtue of a carpenter, we might say it is his skill in building what he sets out to build. Or if we ask what is the virtue of a singer, we might say that he/she produces pleasing sounds with the voice. So when we ask what is a virtuous human being, in the broadest sense, ought we not to look for some specific skills and qualities?

...if that's how you want to look at it. I'm not sure it'd make a difference; one ends up with the same question (and likely the same answer).

What would you say?

Caroline

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:00 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
If you would like an insight as to my understanding of it then read the Meno.

Do you mean the argument between can virtue be taught or is it a recollection?

Icon

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:16 pm
@Jacob phil,
I mean the whole thing. The final conclusion especially where the conclusion is that there is no conclusion.

All men created virtue in their mind and meassure virtue accordingly. Virtue is then agreed upon through generations of being taught what it is. Virtue, like many other things, is a sham and result of your regional learning.

Caroline

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 02:41 pm
@Jacob phil,
What do you mean virtue is a sham?

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 03:15 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
...if that's how you want to look at it. I'm not sure it'd make a difference; one ends up with the same question (and likely the same answer).

What would you say?

Well, I only want to look at it in the way that makes the most sense. I think the question in the OP needs to be clarified. Are we assuming that there is indeed such thing as virtuous behavior? If so, what kind of behavior is that? Then, is the OP asking, "What motivates people to engage in this virtuous behavior?" If that's the case, then I would argue that a person is not performing a virtuous action if the motivation is somehow seedy, regardless of how it may appear to onlookers.

Khethil

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 03:19 pm
@Dichanthelium,
Dichanthelium wrote:
Well, I only want to look at it in the way that makes the most sense. I think the question in the OP needs to be clarified. Are we assuming that there is indeed such thing as virtuous behavior? If so, what kind of behavior is that? Then, is the OP asking, "What motivates people to engage in this virtuous behavior?" If that's the case, then I would argue that a person is not performing a virtuous action if the motivation is somehow seedy, regardless of how it may appear to onlookers.

Good points.

But yea, that's how I took it too ('what motivates people to be virtuous'). So from whence does this positive motivation come? If this is the case, I'd again say that "it depends"; on the person, the situation, ones' notion of what is or isn't virtuous, etc.

*pokes the OP author*

Caroline

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 03:31 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
I mean the whole thing. The final conclusion especially where the conclusion is that there is no conclusion.

All men created virtue in their mind and meassure virtue accordingly. Virtue is then agreed upon through generations of being taught what it is. Virtue, like many other things, is a sham and result of your regional learning.

Im still not sure what you're saying when you say virtue is a sham? Sham means something that you pretend to be real/good but is not so do you mean that we believe virtue is a good/real thing but it is not?

Dichanthelium

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 04:10 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
... So from whence does this positive motivation come? If this is the case, I'd again say that "it depends"; on the person, the situation, ones' notion of what is or isn't virtuous, etc.

Let's take the example of temperance--self-control. Is it not a universal human experience that this is a virtue? And, if so, is not the motivation to practice it the same for all people, i.e., that experience teaches that lack of self control leads ultimately to regret and unhappiness, while the practice of self-control leads to self-respect and greater happiness?

Joe

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 07:03 pm
@Dichanthelium,
I feel confident in saying that Virtue is Circumstantial and to find out why people adhere to particular virtues is exactly as Icon put it. Its Regional, Cultural, and Categorical.

Caroline

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 08:38 pm
@Jacob phil,
it says in the naicomachean ethics - "Only voluntary actions are praiseworthy or blameworthy. We can define voluntary action as any action that originates in the agent and not in some outside force like a push or a stumble. There are borderline cases, however, as when someone is compelled to behave dishonorably under severe threat." i just dont understand how virtue is a sham

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » Ethics
  3. » Why are people virtuous when they are?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:06:09