Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 01:55 pm
@sometime sun,
Anyone want to rent mine from me?

wayne

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:52 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;172564 wrote:
Anyone want to rent mine from me?

If I can make you mad enough to cause a resentment I can live there rent free. :bigsmile:

Krumple

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:58 pm
@wayne,
wayne;172586 wrote:
If I can make you mad enough to cause a resentment I can live there rent free. :bigsmile:

Good luck with that.

sometime sun

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:42 pm
@Krumple,
What do you think of this? included in the link 'modern day soul selling' 'soul markets' to an actual market place that sells and buys souls for real money, would you? could you? do you dare? what's the risk?
Soul market - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

Krumple

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:46 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;172601 wrote:
What do you think of this? included in the link 'modern day soul selling' 'soul markets' to an actual market place that sells and buys souls for real money, would you? could you? do you dare? what's the risk?

I hope you don't think that site is serious. If you do, I am sad.

sometime sun

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:49 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;172604 wrote:
I hope you don't think that site is serious. If you do, I am sad.

Not that one but they are there, markets who buy souls, check it out, it is no joke.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:54 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun wrote:
Who owns your soul?

Well, I'm stumped. Have any ideas?

I hope it's not that bad comedian with the red hair. Carrot Top, his pseudonym is.

Mad Mike

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:54 pm
@Krumple,
This is a topic that's sort of near and dear to me, so I was browsing this thread with some interest, but unless I missed it, I still haven't seen anyone propose a definition of soul. So what the heck, I'll offer this as an opener:

"Soul is that which, when it is present in a physical object, the object is said to be living, and when it is absent, the object is said to be dead."

For me, it's not a problem that this means soul is synonymous with life, but I suppose someone else might object to that.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:59 pm
@sometime sun,
Mad Mike wrote:
"Soul is that which, when it is present in a physical object, the object is said to be living, and when it is absent, the object is said to be dead."

Ah, so all living organisms have souls? Even tiny amoebas, since they are considered living? Interesting. And where do all the souls go after they leave the organism upon death? I must have removed at least a dozen souls from the ants I stepped on today. I suppose you could even say I now own their souls! What do you think?

reasoning logic

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:14 pm
@Zetherin,
When I think of the word soul this is what comes some what close to what I have in mind.
The word psychology literally means, "study of the soul".[1] It derives from Ancient Greek: "ψυχή" (psychē, meaning "breath", "spirit", or "soul"); and "-λογία" (-logia, translated as "study of").[1] The Latin word psychologia has likely origins in mid-16th century Germany. The earliest known referernce to the English word psychology was by Steven Blankaart in 1693 in The Physical Dictionary which refers to "Anatomy, which treats of the Body, and Psychology, which treats of the Soul Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psyche_(psychology

Reconstructo

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:16 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;172601 wrote:

Yeah, I'll sign my "soul" away for enough money to continue improving my soul. Smile

Huxley

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:33 pm
@Reconstructo,
(1) My stomach confines my body to the set of actions that will satisfy the stomach.

(2) Given our current economic model, my body must then act such that it remains employed.

(3) In order to remain employed, one must do as their employer directs.

(4) Due to (1) and (2), one must always have an employer.

(5) Ownership of an object is the ability to direct that object.

(6) Whatever the soul is, it is confined to the body (at least in this life)

(7) The body is an object.

Putting things together: My employer directs my body (an object), which houses the soul, and this is, by definition proposed in (5), ownership. Further, this is a necessary condition of existence due to (1), (2). Therefore, My employer owns my soul. Very Happy

Ding an Sich

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:55 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;172487 wrote:
Who owns your soul?

Can a soul be owned?

Can a soul be bought or sold?

Can you give it away?

How much do you think your soul is worth?

Do you think a soul is ultimately worthless?

A soul is but a thing/
That withers through time/
Within man's being/
Oh how we make it sublime/

When it becomes apparent/
That our face reflects it/
A portal to the spiritual/
Perceived through the material/

If it could be bought/
I scarce think one would want/
The one he has withered and worn/
But a bright one, newly born/

Oh if man knew of the soul/
Perhaps he would not be so bold/
To not let his folly run afoul/
And preserve the soul, thus extolled/

Silly silly. Very Happy

Deckard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:57 pm
@Huxley,
Huxley;172646 wrote:
(1) My stomach confines my body to the set of actions that will satisfy the stomach.

(2) Given our current economic model, my body must then act such that it remains employed.

(3) In order to remain employed, one must do as their employer directs.

(4) Due to (1) and (2), one must always have an employer.

(5) Ownership of an object is the ability to direct that object.

(6) Whatever the soul is, it is confined to the body (at least in this life)

(7) The body is an object.

Putting things together: My employer directs my body (an object), which houses the soul, and this is, by definition proposed in (5), ownership. Further, this is a necessary condition of existence due to (1), (2). Therefore, My employer owns my soul. Very Happy

Ownership is a legal construct. Possession might be more accurate.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. It just occurred to me that it may be useful to distinguish between ownership and possession.

Mad Mike

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 08:15 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;172611 wrote:
Ah, so all living organisms have souls? Even tiny amoebas, since they are considered living? Interesting. And where do all the souls go after they leave the organism upon death? I must have removed at least a dozen souls from the ants I stepped on today. I suppose you could even say I now own their souls! What do you think?

I think all living organisms have a share of soul, even tiny amoebas, yes. But I don't think "where" has anything to do with what happens to the bits of soul in organisms at death, because I think everything living is always "in" soul. As for those ants, I don't think you "own" their souls by killing them, but you might "own" the karma of killing them.

Krumple

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 08:36 pm
@Mad Mike,
Mad Mike;172770 wrote:
I think all living organisms have a share of soul, even tiny amoebas, yes. But I don't think "where" has anything to do with what happens to the bits of soul in organisms at death, because I think everything living is always "in" soul. As for those ants, I don't think you "own" their souls by killing them, but you might "own" the karma of killing them.

Yes this is true my friend. However; for only 3 payments of $19.95 you can have my patented soul extractor. It works on anything living and even some non living things as well. It is guaranteed to capture up to one million souls before replacement of any parts. If you order now you will receive two soul drinking cups fee. These sturdy cups are made of the finest aluminum and most ideal shape for holding any soul you wish to drink the essence of. But that's not all, while this commercial lasts you will receive the soul recipe handbook, with over fifty recipes of how to enjoy those captured souls. Hurry while supplies last.

Mad Mike

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 08:51 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;172771 wrote:
Yes this is true my friend. However; for only 3 payments of $19.95 you can have my patented soul extractor. It works on anything living and even some non living things as well. It is guaranteed to capture up to one million souls before replacement of any parts. If you order now you will receive two soul drinking cups fee. These sturdy cups are made of the finest aluminum and most ideal shape for holding any soul you wish to drink the essence of. But that's not all, while this commercial lasts you will receive the soul recipe handbook, with over fifty recipes of how to enjoy those captured souls. Hurry while supplies last.

Do you have an actual point to make, or are we just supposed to enjoy your wit?

ughaibu

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:33 pm
@Mad Mike,
Mad Mike;172609 wrote:
Is this associated with anything in particular, for example, self organisation, self direction?

Deckard

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:36 pm
@Mad Mike,
Mad Mike;172609 wrote:

This is Aristotle right?

Mad Mike

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 09:58 pm
@Deckard,
ughaibu;172780 wrote:
Is this associated with anything in particular, for example, self organisation, self direction?

I think self-organization is a good possibility. Scientists are starting to talk about an "order-producing universe," and I think that pretty much implies a "life-producing universe," which in turn implies an "intelligence-producing universe."

Deckard;172782 wrote:
This is Aristotle right?

I have no idea. I've tried pretty hard to avoid reading Aristotle, and so far I've been pretty successful. So any resemblance is purely coincidental.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:36:49