Silly Subjectivism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

apehead

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 11:02 am
@kennethamy,
Quote:
What difference does it make what the student's goal was?

I think it matters if you are trying to determine if the student should or should not continue with that action. Perhaps this is just my own bias, but "rude" seems to have negative or pejorative connotations. Without determining what the desired ends are, how could we possibly make the determination that action has negative implications?
Quote:
In fact, what makes you think that the student even had a goal?

"Action is purposive conduct. It is not simply behavior, but behavior begot by judgments of value, aiming at a definite end and guided by ideas concerning the suitability or unsuitability of definite means. . . . It is conscious behavior. It is choosing. It is volition; it is a display of the will." - Ludwig Von Mises
Quote:
I cannot think of a culture in which in the circumstances I described the student's behavior would not be rude.

It seems rather rash to project your limitations onto the universe, then regard it as fact.
Quote:
Even in East Timbuctoo, if there were a class room there, and the student behaved that way, that student would be rude. You cannot judge only the behavior. It is the behavior in those circumstances. You seem to be talking only about the behavior, outside of any context.

It's funny, both of us seem to find our propositions lacking in context, likely due to our personal values. You seem to place more value in the cultural values, and societal context, whereas I place more value in the individuals' means/ends context.

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 01:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Much garbling of terms and arguing at cross purposes is the basic theme here though. Please be less straight forward.

LOL, don't worry, I will be much more disjointed as the responses get longer!
Quote:
Doesn't it start with: "Love and... ?"

I think you're thinking of "Love is the law, love under will", which is a different quote.

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 01:44 PM ----------

Quote:
You must have had an even duller week than I've had.

LOL, there're differences between interesting, exciting, and odd, although they are not mutually exclusive!

kennethamy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:54 am
@apehead,
apehead;169105 wrote:
I think it matters if you are trying to determine if the student should or should not continue with that action. Perhaps this is just my own bias, but "rude" seems to have negative or pejorative connotations. Without determining what the desired ends are, how could we possibly make the determination that action has negative implications?

"Action is purposive conduct. It is not simply behavior, but behavior begot by judgments of value, aiming at a definite end and guided by ideas concerning the suitability or unsuitability of definite means. . . . It is conscious behavior. It is choosing. It is volition; it is a display of the will." - Ludwig Von Mises

It seems rather rash to project your limitations onto the universe, then regard it as fact.

It's funny, both of us seem to find our propositions lacking in context, likely due to our personal values. You seem to place more value in the cultural values, and societal context, whereas I place more value in the individuals' means/ends context.

--------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 01:08 PM ----------

!

Well, of course, "rude" is a pejorative term. Who could speak English and deny that? And if one could imagine some strange circumstance in which what the student was doing was part of a CIA ruse to expose terrorists, then, on learning that was so, I would take a different view of the student's behavior. But can we please suppose that the student was not really a CIA agent, but just a boor who had no respect. And that everything was as it seemed. (Why you should suppose the circumstances were other than I depicted them, I really do not know. Next time, give your own example, please, and let mine alone!) What I am saying is that in the absence of the student's being a CIA agent (or something of the kind) the student was being rude, and that rudeness is something that we ought to condemn. Now, what is supposed to be the matter with that? I don't see how that projects my limitations on to the world, but then maybe I am not subtle enough. As far as I can tell, your objection is that if the student was only appearing to be rude because his apparently rude behavior had some different, beneficial, goal in mind, then the student was not really being rude. Well, yeah! But what would make you think anyone would deny that? What kind of objection is that?

apehead

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:07 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;169465 wrote:
Well, of course, "rude" is a pejorative term. Who could speak English and deny that? And if one could imagine some strange circumstance in which what the student was doing was part of a CIA ruse to expose terrorists, then, on learning that was so, I would take a different view of the student's behavior. But can we please suppose that the student was not really a CIA agent, but just a boor who had no respect. And that everything was as it seemed. (Why you should suppose the circumstances were other than I depicted them, I really do not know. Next time, give your own example, please, and let mine alone!) What I am saying is that in the absence of the student's being a CIA agent (or something of the kind) the student was being rude, and that rudeness is something that we ought to condemn. Now, what is supposed to be the matter with that? I don't see how that projects my limitations on to the world, but then maybe I am not subtle enough. As far as I can tell, your objection is that if the student was only appearing to be rude because his apparently rude behavior had some different, beneficial, goal in mind, then the student was not really being rude. Well, yeah! But what would make you think anyone would deny that? What kind of objection is that?

We seem to agree that without considering all factors which precipitated an action, it is impossible to determine the validity of said action from an absolute, values-based standpoint. Since it seems evident to me that a mere mortal human being cannot consider, or even have knowledge of, all the variables leading up to a specific action, it would be impossible to make such an absolute statement. The difference between our positions seems to be that you are comfortable with taking the leap of faith into the realm of making perfect statements of value without perfect knowledge, and that I am unwilling to do the same.

So, to sum up, my post wasn't so much refuting or objecting to your claim, as much as it was pointing out the inherent unknown in any value based statement, which you seem to want to forget or ignore for the sake of your argument.

mark noble

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 08:27 am
@Twirlip,
Hi All,

What if the student had an Attention Disorder and normally came in throwing chairs, swinging from the lights, smashing windows and spitting at people - Now, after medication, he enters a little loud and inconsiderate. In comparison to his usual beheviour, don't you think he's being more than just polite? Maybe we should ask the hypothetical lecturer?

"One man's student is another man's mentor"

Thank you, and have a lovely day.

Mark...

kennethamy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:24 am
@apehead,
apehead;169517 wrote:
We seem to agree that without considering all factors which precipitated an action, it is impossible to determine the validity of said action from an absolute, values-based standpoint. Since it seems evident to me that a mere mortal human being cannot consider, or even have knowledge of, all the variables leading up to a specific action, it would be impossible to make such an absolute statement. The difference between our positions seems to be that you are comfortable with taking the leap of faith into the realm of making perfect statements of value without perfect knowledge, and that I am unwilling to do the same.

So, to sum up, my post wasn't so much refuting or objecting to your claim, as much as it was pointing out the inherent unknown in any value based statement, which you seem to want to forget or ignore for the sake of your argument.

There is no inherent unknown. I already told you all there was to know. The student came in to the class and acted like a boor and an idiot. He was not an undercover CIA agent. How do I know? It is my story. So, given that he was not an undercover CIA agent who was trying to out the terrorist teacher, and there is nothing else hidden (and, remember, it is my story) it is absolutely clear that the student was being rude. And, yes, to say that he was rude is to say something morally negative about him. And the reason for that is that rudeness is morally negative behavior, and so, it makes perfect sense for the term, "rude" to be a pejorative term. The same goes for "rapist" and "murderer". I don't see what is complicated about that. End of story.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 11:27 AM ----------

mark noble;169534 wrote:
Hi All,

What if the student had an Attention Disorder and normally came in throwing chairs, swinging from the lights, smashing windows and spitting at people - Now, after medication, he enters a little loud and inconsiderate. In comparison to his usual beheviour, don't you think he's being more than just polite? Maybe we should ask the hypothetical lecturer?

"One man's student is another man's mentor"

Thank you, and have a lovely day.

Mark...

He didn't have attention deficit disorder, so your supposition is just irrelevant. If he had two wheels, he would have been a bicycle. Fortunately, in my story the student did not have two wheels, so whether he was a bicycle is not an issue.

apehead

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:33 am
@kennethamy,
Calling an action rude is a statement of values. According to your personal values, the student is rude. Since this is a fictional scenario, you have determined that there are no extenuating circumstances justifying the students behavior when measured against your personal values. So in this scenario, your personal values are considered absolute, and your knowledge of the factors leading to the action are also absolute. Although amusing, I'm not quite sure what this scenario has to do with reality, or is relevant to understanding what we perceive as reality.

Jebediah

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:41 am
@kennethamy,
I don't think he picked that example because it was personal. He picked a common example of something that the vast majority of people would agree is rude.

It's kind of absurd to say that doing something for selfish reasons, that annoys most people, is only subjectively rude. Some things are defined by other peoples opinions. And the definition of rude isn't subjective.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:46 am
@apehead,
apehead;169553 wrote:
Calling an action rude is a statement of values. According to your personal values, the student is rude. Since this is a fictional scenario, you have determined that there are no extenuating circumstances justifying the students behavior when measured against your personal values. So in this scenario, your personal values are considered absolute, and your knowledge of the factors leading to the action are also absolute. Although amusing, I'm not quite sure what this scenario has to do with reality, or is relevant to understanding what we perceive as reality.

Not my personal values at all. That kind of behavior is simply called rude behavior in English. Just as the color of a fire truck is called "red" in English. Anyone who would not call the color of the fire truck "red" would be either someone who did not know the meaning of color terms in English, or was color blind, or maybe, joking. Similarly, anyone who did not think that the student's behavior was rude would not know the meaning of the word, "rude" in English, or would have some mental problems, or would be joking. The difference between "red" and "rude" is, of course, "red" carries no moral connotations along with it, but "rude" does. I already explained by "rude" carries those moral connotations. It is because rude behavior is condemned by most people, as it well should be! Anything else?

apehead

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:57 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;169557 wrote:
I don't think he picked that example because it was personal. He picked a common example of something that the vast majority of people would agree is rude.

So now objective morality is determined solely by the whims of at least 51% of the populace?

Jebediah;169557 wrote:
It's kind of absurd to say that doing something for selfish reasons, that annoys most people, is only subjectively rude.
Is there a reason for that stance to be considered foolish (another values based pejorative), or is this just an arbitrary opinion?

Jebediah;169557 wrote:
Some things are defined by other peoples opinions. And the definition of rude isn't subjective.

All things are defined by individual's opinions, making every interpretation of phenomena equally valid. Unless there is some further qualification of what is "true" or "real" that I'm unaware of. I'm not saying the definition is up for debate, and I'm not trying to get bogged down in the mire of semantics, what I'm saying is that each individual has different criteria for what falls under the definition of "rude", and what doesn't.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 09:59 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;169557 wrote:

It's kind of absurd to say that doing something for selfish reasons, that annoys most people, is only subjectively rude. Some things are defined by other peoples opinions. And the definition of rude isn't subjective.

No, it was not for personal reasons, as a matter of fact. But what difference would it make if it was? How would that be relevant, for heaven's sakes? A vast majority of people would agree that such behavior was rude behavior for exactly the same reason that a vast majority of people would agree that the color of a fire truck was red. In the second case it would be because the color of fire trucks is red, and in the first case because such behavior is rude behavior. I don't know what it would mean to say that the fire truck was "only subjectively red", and I don't know what it would mean to say that the student's behavior was "only subjectively rude". Maybe you mean that in the first case everyone only believed that the fire truck was red, and in the second case that everyone only believed that the student's behavior was rude. Well that would be just false, since it is not true that the majority of people would only believe these things. The majority would think they knew the fire truck was red, and the student was rude. No, the definition of "rude" is not subjective. So far as I understand what a subjective definition would be (and I am not sure that I understand the notion of a subjective definition) no definitions are subjective. Therefore, the definition of "rude" is not subjective.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:02 am
@kennethamy,
apehead wrote:
So now objective morality is determined solely by the whims of at least 51% of the populace?

Objective anything has nothing to do with consensus. Objective, by definition, is that which is true mind-independently. Maybe you meant intersubjective.

kennethamy

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:07 am
@apehead,
apehead;169563 wrote:

Is there a reason for that stance to be considered foolish (another values based pejorative), or is this just an arbitrary opinion?

All things are defined by individual's opinions, making every interpretation of phenomena equally valid. Unless there is some further qualification of what is "true" or "real" that I'm unaware of. I'm not saying the definition is up for debate, and I'm not trying to get bogged down in the mire of semantics, what I'm saying is that each individual has different criteria for what falls under the definition of "rude", and what doesn't.

Where on earth did you get such an idea. I didn't say such a foolish thing, and no one else did, so far as I can tell.

You think that whether I have a million dollars in my bank account is defined by my individual opinion? Well, when I go to withdraw $100,000 of it, I'll certainly let the bank teller know what you said.

This is, indeed, silly subjectivism beyond my wildest dreams!

apehead

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:13 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;169559 wrote:
Not my personal values at all.

If not, then why did you use the adjective "rude" rather than "admirable" if you hadn't inject a statement of you personal aesthetic tastes and values?
kennethamy;169559 wrote:
That kind of behavior is simply called rude behavior in English.

No. You call it that because you consider that behavior to fall under the definition of "rude". That is a statement of aesthetics and values on your part.
kennethamy;169559 wrote:
Just as the color of a fire truck is called "red" in English. Anyone who would not call the color of the fire truck "red" would be either someone who did not know the meaning of color terms in English, or was color blind, or maybe, joking. Similarly, anyone who did not think that the student's behavior was rude would not know the meaning of the word, "rude" in English, or would have some mental problems, or would be joking. The difference between "red" and "rude" is, of course, "red" carries no moral connotations along with it, but "rude" does.

You've already proven my point. You can consider something as "red" because that is what you have been taught to call that particular phenomena. You consider something "rude" because that is what you have been taught to call a particular phenomena. Just because that is what you have learned does not make it absolutely true.
kennethamy;169559 wrote:
I already explained by "rude" carries those moral connotations. It is because rude behavior is condemned by most people, as it well should be! Anything else?

Again, we seem to be in (almost) complete agreement! Considering a behavior "rude" has to be a statement of your personal values. It's the second half of this statement when our opinions begin to diverge. The addition of an absolute normative statement based upon your personal preferences is a deal breaker. Hmm, let's see anything else... oh yeah, why do you feel qualified to have your personal values supersede the values I may subscribe to?

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 12:17 PM ----------

Zetherin;169566 wrote:
Objective anything has nothing to do with consensus. Objective, by definition, is that which is true mind-independently. Maybe you meant intersubjective.

Well, if we are meant to treat these divinations on what actions are appropriate or inappropriate as fact, I would hope that they could be considered mind-independent. I don't understand how a mind, being imperfect, could possibly conceive a perfect statement of values, or law.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 12:21 PM ----------

kennethamy;169567 wrote:

Where on earth did you get such an idea. I didn't say such a foolish thing, and no one else did, so far as I can tell.

Hey Jeb was the one talking about "the vast majority" being able to determine facts. Ask him.
kennethamy;169567 wrote:
You think that whether I have a million dollars in my bank account is defined by my individual opinion? Well, when I go to withdraw $100,000 of it, I'll certainly let the bank teller know what you said.
Strawman. I'm afraid that a numeric quantity of money is not comparable to such abstract, relative terms as "good" and "bad".

Zetherin

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:21 am
@kennethamy,
apehead wrote:

You consider something "rude" because that is what you have been taught to call a particular phenomena. Just because that is what you have learned does not make it absolutely true.

We call the moon the moon because "moon" is the word we have been taught that refers to the object the moon. So what?

Quote:
Well, if we are meant to treat these divinations on what actions are appropriate or inappropriate as fact, I would hope that they could be considered mind-independent. I don't understand how a mind, being imperfect, could possibly conceive a perfect statement of values, or law.

I think you may be convoluting the matter. By saying that the student was "rude", we're using the definition of "rude" that is common in the English language. The value judgments come after the fact, you see?

Jebediah

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:24 am
@apehead,
apehead;169563 wrote:

Which is the correct side of the road to drive on? Neither is inherently better, but if everyone else is driving on a particular side, then that side is the correct side to drive on.

Quote:
It's a definition.

Quote:
That isn't what you are saying. You can say that if you like, but it's like saying "no two snowflakes are alike".

Zetherin

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:35 am
@kennethamy,
apehead wrote:

Hey Jeb was the one talking about "the vast majority" being able to determine facts. Ask him

Well, if you mean by determine, discover, then sure. People discover facts. But our discovering them doesn't make them true; they would be true no matter if we ever discovered them or not.

apehead

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:50 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;169571 wrote:
We call the moon the moon because "moon" is the word we have been taught that refers to the object the moon. So what?

Sew buttons. I dunno, I didn't bring it up.

Zetherin;169571 wrote:
I think you may be convoluting the matter. By saying that the student was "rude", we're using the definition of "rude" that is common in the English language. The value judgments come after the fact, you see?

Let's see here:

"Rude - discourteous or impolite, esp. in a deliberate way: a rude reply."

OK, that doesn't help much. Let's try "discourteous" and "impolite"

"Discourteous - not courteous; impolite; uncivil; rude: a discourteous salesman."

"Impolite - not polite or courteous; discourteous; rude: an impolite reply."

Hmm, let's try the positive ones...

"Courteous - having or showing good manners; polite."

"Polite - showing good manners toward others, as in behavior, speech, etc.; courteous; civil: a polite reply."

Ahh, here's some meaty ones:

"Civil -
adhering to the norms of polite social intercourse; not deficient in common courtesy: After their disagreement, their relations were civil though not cordial."

"Manners - the prevailing customs, ways of living, and habits of a people, class, period, etc.; mores: The novels of Jane Austen are concerned with the manners of her time."

"Mores - folkways of central importance accepted without question and embodying the fundamental moral views of a group."

*(all definitions from Dictionary.com)

So, what does this mean? It means that an action cannot be considered rude without first having a moral meter against which to measure said action. Unless you have an objective moral code, you cannot consider any action as objectively rude.

Call it convoluting if you wish, I just happen to think that it is important to truly understand implications of statements if we are to effectively communicate.

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 12:56 PM ----------

Jebediah;169573 wrote:
Which is the correct side of the road to drive on? Neither is inherently better, but if everyone else is driving on a particular side, then that side is the correct side to drive on.

That action's correctness can only be considered with specific goals in mind.

Jebediah;169573 wrote:
It's a definition.

Please refer to above post.

Jebediah;169573 wrote:
That isn't what you are saying. You can say that if you like, but it's like saying "no two snowflakes are alike".

So tell me, which are the "good" snowflakes, and which are the "evil" snowflakes? What principles do you use to determine that? Why do you use those specific criteria?

---------- Post added 05-27-2010 at 12:59 PM ----------

Zetherin;169578 wrote:
Well, if you mean by determine, discover, then sure. People discover facts. But our discovering them doesn't make them true; they would be true no matter if we ever discovered them or not.

I meant determine. Look at the definitions I posted, the facts are already in, apparently. Judging by your post, you aren't very familiar with (or impressed with) radical skepticism. I consider myself one, so we maybe so divergent in our ontological perspectives as to be unintelligible to one another.

Zetherin

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 11:11 am
@kennethamy,
apehead wrote:

I meant determine. Look at the definitions I posted, the facts are already in, apparently. Judging by your post, you aren't very familiar with (or impressed with) radical skepticism. I consider myself one, so we maybe so divergent in our ontological perspectives as to be unintelligible to one another.

Oh, you believe that knowledge is impossible? Interesting belief. It's a false belief, but interesting nonetheless.

Jebediah

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 11:13 am
@apehead,
apehead wrote:
That action's correctness can only be considered with specific goals in mind.
The goal is getting to work on time, and without dieing in a fiery car wreck. You agree that there is a correct side of the road to drive on in that case? Objectively?

apehead wrote:
So, what does this mean? It means that an action cannot be considered rude without first having a moral meter against which to measure said action. Unless you have an objective moral code, you cannot consider any action as objectively rude.
This is like saying, unless you can objectively say that one side of the road is inherently better to drive on, you can make no objective judgments about what side of the road someone should drive on. The correct side of the road to drive on is determined by all of the other people out driving, and what is rude is determined by what offends other people. If in our culture something isn't rude at all, and we went somewhere where it was very rude, it would probably be rude to do it (barring a ridiculous scenario).

Quote:
So tell me, which are the "good" snowflakes, and which are the "evil" snowflakes? What principles do you use to determine that? Why do you use those specific criteria?
I don't know what you are talking about. My point with the snowflakes is that people share a lot of similarity, and that we have a definition of rude because of that. You say "each individual has a different criteria" but they come from the same source. It's not as bad as you make it out to be. This is the failure of radical skepticism by the way.

Actually Russel puts it better:

"Skepticism, while logically impeccable, is psychologically impossible, and there is an element of frivolous insincerity in any philosophy which pretends to accept it."

apehead

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 11:13 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;169585 wrote:
Oh, you believe that knowledge is impossible? Interesting belief. It's a false belief, but interesting nonetheless.

How are you so convinced?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:41:06