Silly Subjectivism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Jebediah

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:03 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168820 wrote:
What he is saying is that people make claims with alternate justificatorial criteria, then when challenged with another set of criteria revisit the original claim. The issue is the criteria on which a claim is based, not the claim. Something can be a true claim using X set of criteria but not Y. That has been the issue with this whole thread. Is there a universal set of criteria on which to base a claim?

So taking drunk driving. The criteria in justifying the laws against it is some combination of "anyone who's ever been drunk knows that...", plus the data involving drunk drivers and accidents, plus experimental data on the effect of alcohol on motor control, plus various studies and polling on the change in public opinion vs number of incidents. Imperfect criteria no doubt. But pretty good considering.

We try our best to find good criteria. Trying to justify alternative criteria is good, it is a positive step. Arguing from the subjectivist position is a negative step. It is not trying. I'll try and think of an analogy. Let's say we are trying to find our way around NYC. Bill looks at the map and thinks for a minute and suggests the route.

Steve then says: "I think this route would be better because traffic might be jammed here".

Charlie says: "When we decide a route, when we deem a route to be good or bad, we are not doing so because we have carefully analyzed the "definition" of a good route and have logically concluded that this route indeed falls within it, but rather because "Route" has a kind of typicality associated with it, and this typicality - these highlighted features are those which we see in someone and therefore *detect* and *sense* that it is a good route. Formal logic, and whether this attribution is actually correct is always an afterthought and is always a justification rather than a premise. A fact is nothing without interpretation, this interpretation is the typicality invoked - the grounds for this justification, the actual factuality of the statement - whether the statement becomes true or false depends on the justification - if there is no accepted justification then it becomes folklore, folk knowledge etc, and if there is indeed an agreeable justification it then becomes a 'fact'."

Then Steve punches Charlie in the face :letme-at-em:

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:04 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;168822 wrote:
In all the practical sense of the concept, I agree, that there is a reality outside all of our human chatter. So yes, I agree that certain words and actions occurred independent of what is said about them in retrospect.

In the rape case, I suppose it comes down to details, legally and socially. We all agree, I hope, that "no" means "no." More difficult cases include partial or complete intoxication. How drunk is too drunk? And what if both parties are drunk? What if a woman initiates "erotic play" in this drunken or mutually drunken state and does not say "no."

I'm just trying to show the points at which the word becomes a little blurry. I agree in every practical sense that there were/are facts involved.
This is just the way we humans think, and must think. It went down one way and not another. The hard part is interpretation. Well, it's not always hard; sometimes guilt is obvious.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 06:57 PM ----------

But doesn't a word like "terrorism" have a non-factual meaning? It does imply certain factual actions, but it also implies more than this. I'll agree that some could use it in a more neutral sense, or at least attempt to. But it's one of those words....

As I said, "terrorism" has an emotive meaning of disapproval based on its descriptive meaning, because terrorism is an evil action. Therefore, when someone calls a person a terrorist he is indicating disapproval of the person who perform terrorist actions. The same thing is true of the word, "rude". It is a term of disapproval, as well it should be since rude behavior ought to be disapproved of.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 08:14 PM ----------

GoshisDead;168820 wrote:
What he is saying is that people make claims with alternate justificatorial criteria, then when challenged with another set of criteria revisit the original claim. The issue is the criteria on which a claim is based, not the claim. Something can be a true claim using X set of criteria but not Y. That has been the issue with this whole thread. Is there a universal set of criteria on which to base a claim?

You would have to give an example of of a claim that is true under one set of criteria, but not true under another. And, when you did, it we would then have to discuss which set of criteria is the correct set of criteria. Of course, it is possible that one term is ambiguous, and thus it may be applied differently depending on which set of criteria. But then, we are talking about ambiguity.

The criteria for whether a king in chess has been checkmated are: the king has been checked, and the king has no legal move. You may, I suppose, offer other criteria for checkmate. But, so what?

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168830 wrote:

The criteria for whether a king in chess has been checkmated are: the king has been checked, and the king has no legal move. You may, I suppose, offer other criteria for checkmate. But, so what?

The beauty of chess is that it's a mathematical system. In principle, it's ideally precise. And this ideal conceptual precision, highly abstract, is easily managed by a finite body of rules. If only human existence were this simple...but then we would get bored. Smile

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 06:41 pm
@kennethamy,
Goshisdead wrote:
Is there a falisfiable proposition that can be made about the fact that (X did the action of bombing) aside from the fact that (X did the action of bombing)?

All propositions are falsifiable, if by that you mean that they can be false. I'm not sure what you mean by your question, though. Can you try again?

kennethamy wrote:
All facts are true. "True fact" is a pleonasm. The question is, what is the fact. For instance, is it a fact (is it true) that the attack on Dresden was an act of terrorism? That is where the controversy arises.

Yes you are right. I shouldn't have said that. I was referring to the true proposition reported by the fact.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:27 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;168844 wrote:
All propositions are falsifiable, if by that you mean that they can be false. I'm not sure what you mean by your question, though. Can you try again?

Yes you are right. I shouldn't have said that. I was referring to the true proposition reported by the fact.

Lets try this. Is there a statement to be made about a fact that isn't based somehow on a presupposition? For example, in this case we have the fact (X person did the act of bombing) is statement that somehow describes this that is not based on a presupposition. Or is there a statement that places a truth value on this that can do anything besides say that (X person bombed) without referring to arbitrary definition of that truth?

Baal

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 07:52 pm
@kennethamy,
I think the answer to this question gets us to the root of the matter. Indeed, anything "about" a "Fact" is always relying on presuppositions. A pure Fact, as it is Fact, e.g. as it is a sensory event, can have nothing else factual about it other than its mere experiential imprint within the senses at that very given time. In other words, it has its immediacy. When we make a statement about a fact, e.g. when we say something that "logically derives from the fact" we are no longer speaking about the fact.

We would like to believe that our statements derive from the fact itself, and therefore what we say is empirical, irrefutable etc. - but herein is the caveat - these statements are not statements about a fact, rather they are statements that try to place the fact within context of the logical and the re-usable. A statement as such isolates the sensory immediacy, it fragments the fact that "I saw this", and places the occurrence in the context of "This has happened, and I have observed it to have properties X and Y; therefore.. A, B and C".

In other words, the moment we make a statement about the fact, we are departing from the fact and are no longer using the fact as something Real, but rather supportive and anecdotal. To see my point quite easily, think about a fact that nothing could be said about, and think about how factual such a fact would really be.

Arjuna

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 08:02 pm
@GoshisDead,
kennethamy;168830 wrote:
As I said, "terrorism" has an emotive meaning of disapproval based on its descriptive meaning, because terrorism is an evil action. Therefore, when someone calls a person a terrorist he is indicating disapproval of the person who perform terrorist actions. The same thing is true of the word, "rude". It is a term of disapproval, as well it should be since rude behavior ought to be disapproved of.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 08:14 PM ----------

You would have to give an example of of a claim that is true under one set of criteria, but not true under another. And, when you did, it we would then have to discuss which set of criteria is the correct set of criteria. Of course, it is possible that one term is ambiguous, and thus it may be applied differently depending on which set of criteria. But then, we are talking about ambiguity.

So when I asked if you were stating that there are moral absolutes, you could have just said: yes.

GoshisDead;168850 wrote:
Lets try this. Is there a statement to be made about a fact that isn't based somehow on a presupposition? For example, in this case we have the fact (X person did the act of bombing) is statement that somehow describes this that is not based on a presupposition. Or is there a statement that places a truth value on this that can do anything besides say that (X person bombed) without referring to arbitrary definition of that truth?
Exactly. We can verify through interrogation that the bomber intended to create terror. We can look at that sort of thing the way a sociologist might... without condemning or praising. We can look at it amorally.

Most folks I know use the word terrorist in a way that's bound to condemnation. To suggest that this roots the condemnation in a known correct criteria makes sense only... subjectively.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 03:18 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168850 wrote:

I don't know what you have in mind by "a presupposition" so it is impossible to answer your question. I suppose that the statement that X (a person) bombed some place or other presupposes that there are persons, and that there are bombs, and that there are places. Is that the sort of thing you have in mind? I suppose there are arbitrary definitions of truth, for example, that truth is a fried egg. But if one defines "truth" as a relation between a statement or proposition and the world, I cannot understand why anyone would call that "arbitrary". Of course, that need not mean that such a definition of "truth" is correct. But it certainly would not be arbitrary in the way that defining truth as a fried egg would be.

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 05:26 AM ----------

Arjuna;168858 wrote:
So when I asked if you were stating that there are moral absolutes, you could have just said: yes.

Exactly. We can verify through interrogation that the bomber intended to create terror. We can look at that sort of thing the way a sociologist might... without condemning or praising. We can look at it amorally.

Most folks I know use the word terrorist in a way that's bound to condemnation. To suggest that this roots the condemnation in a known correct criteria makes sense only... subjectively.

No, I could not have said yes, unless I did not care whether I understood your question. What has my chess example to do with whether there are moral absolutes (whatever those are) I cannot imagine.

Of course we can ask the factual question whether the bomber was a terrorist (which does not mean only "intended to create terror") and this is apart from a moral judgment about terrorism. But, as I just pointed out, when someone is called a terrorist what is meant is not only that he intended to create terror. What that also means is that he also intentionally targeted defenseless people. Now, most people would tend to make a moral judgment about intentionally targeting defenseless people. It would be negative. Don't you agree?

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 05:29 AM ----------

Reconstructo;168843 wrote:
The beauty of chess is that it's a mathematical system. In principle, it's ideally precise. And this ideal conceptual precision, highly abstract, is easily managed by a finite body of rules. If only human existence were this simple...but then we would get bored. Smile

Probably you are right. What has that to do with the issue? It is still true that when someone intentionally targets defenseless people he is a terrorist. That is what "terrorism" means.

---------- Post added 05-26-2010 at 05:36 AM ----------

Let's get back to the thread. The silliness of the slogan that one man's X is another man's Y lies in the assumption that there is no real difference between X and Y, but that it is merely a matter of attitude whether it is a case of X (e.g. rudeness) or Y (e.g. politeness). And that assumption is usually just false. In my example, it was just a matter of fact that the student was being rude, and that he was not being polite.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 06:48 am
@Baal,
Baal;168856 wrote:

In other words, the moment we make a statement about the fact, we are departing from the fact and are no longer using the fact as something Real, but rather supportive and anecdotal. To see my point quite easily, think about a fact that nothing could be said about, and think about how factual such a fact would really be.

So when a chemist says that water is H20 the chemist is "departing from the fact" and he does not think it is "real" (whatever that means) that water is H20? Hmm. Would you mind asking any chemist what he thinks of that nonsense? He might reply after he stops laughing.

Arjuna

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:42 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168963 wrote:

No, I could not have said yes, unless I did not care whether I understood your question. What has my chess example to do with whether there are moral absolutes (whatever those are) I cannot imagine.

Of course we can ask the factual question whether the bomber was a terrorist (which does not mean only "intended to create terror") and this is apart from a moral judgment about terrorism. But, as I just pointed out, when someone is called a terrorist what is meant is not only that he intended to create terror. What that also means is that he also intentionally targeted defenseless people. Now, most people would tend to make a moral judgment about intentionally targeting defenseless people. It would be negative. Don't you agree?
Most people do make moral judgments about intentionally targeting defenseless people. It's not always negative. Note those who deny any immorality in the bombing of Hiroshima.

So you aren't supporting moral absolutes. In that case you've answered your original question. A man acts in a certain way in a class room. The facts of the case are: he made noise and ignored the professor.

"Rudeness (also called impudence or effrontery) is the disrespect and failure to behave within the context of a society or a group of people's social laws or etiquette.These laws have already unspokenly been established as the essential boundaries of normally accepted behavior. To be unable or unwilling to align one's behavior with these laws known to the general population of what is socially acceptable is to be rude." -- wiki

The man was rude. Problem solved!

kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 07:54 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;169032 wrote:
Most people do make moral judgments about intentionally targeting defenseless people. It's not always negative. Note those who deny any immorality in the bombing of Hiroshima.

So you aren't supporting moral absolutes. In that case you've answered your original question. A man acts in a certain way in a class room. The facts of the case are: he made noise and ignored the professor.

"Rudeness (also called impudence or effrontery) is the disrespect and failure to behave within the context of a society or a group of people's social laws or etiquette.These laws have already unspokenly been established as the essential boundaries of normally accepted behavior. To be unable or unwilling to align one's behavior with these laws known to the general population of what is socially acceptable is to be rude." -- wiki

The man was rude. Problem solved!

Those who deny the that the bombing of Hiroshima (not only those who deny the immorality of the bombing of Hiroshima!) is immoral are, of course, making a moral judgment. Namely that the bombing of Hiroshima was immoral.

What problem is solved?

Oh, but I am making a moral judgment, since judging that someone is rude is certainly making a moral judgment. You may have to reconcile yourself to the fact that a judgment may be both a factual and a moral judgment. It is a fact that the student was rude, and that is a moral judgment.

Arjuna

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:26 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;169034 wrote:
Those who deny the that the bombing of Hiroshima (not only those who deny the immorality of the bombing of Hiroshima!) is immoral are, of course, making a moral judgment. Namely that the bombing of Hiroshima was immoral.

What problem is solved?

Oh, but I am making a moral judgment, since judging that someone is rude is certainly making a moral judgment. You may have to reconcile yourself to the fact that a judgment may be both a factual and a moral judgment. It is a fact that the student was rude, and that is a moral judgment.
I think you meant that those who deny immorality in the intentional targeting of defenseless people in the case of the Hiroshima bombing are saying that it was moral.

I appreciate that moral judgment is inextricable from our assessments of events. I wish everybody realized that. This world would be a better place to live in.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:43 am
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;169040 wrote:
I think you meant that those who deny immorality in the intentional targeting of defenseless people in the case of the Hiroshima bombing are saying that it was moral.

I appreciate that moral judgment is inextricable from our assessments of events. I wish everybody realized that. This world would be a better place to live in.

"Moral" has two meanings: it can be contrasted with immoral. It can also be contrasted with amoral. l

Arjuna

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:00 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;169043 wrote:
"Moral" has two meanings: it can be contrasted with immoral. It can also be contrasted with amoral. l
That is correct.

More importantly: what is the plural of mantis? I just saw five baby praying mantises on my purple sage patch. They eat the bad bugs, so I'm hoping they prosper. Adios!

mark noble

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:02 am
@Arjuna,
Hi All,

Ice-cream? Rape? Fish? None of these have opposing values. The spectrum for usage of my silly (wise) subjectivisms MUST have a valid opposing value. As in Newton's third law of motion. "Every action MUST ..............". These subjectivisms are ONLY used to stress that an opinionated label is relative to the observer depending on their point of view. If you stood face to face with me, my left would be your right. Both statements are FACT, and both statements are correct, equal too.

Anyway, Have a fantastic day, Gentlemen,

And remember "One man's wisdom is another man's folly".

Mark...

kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:18 am
@mark noble,
mark noble;169072 wrote:
Hi All,

Ice-cream? Rape? Fish? None of these have opposing values. The spectrum for usage of my silly (wise) subjectivisms MUST have a valid opposing value. As in Newton's third law of motion. "Every action MUST ..............". These subjectivisms are ONLY used to stress that an opinionated label is relative to the observer depending on their point of view. If you stood face to face with me, my left would be your right. Both statements are FACT, and both statements are correct, equal too.

Anyway, Have a fantastic day, Gentlemen,

And remember "One man's wisdom is another man's folly".

Mark...

What are you saying?
Of course, the directions left and right are relative, but nevertheless that the table is to my left is a matter of fact. So what? First of all, why should we assume that right and wrong are relative? Second of all, I thought this was about subjectivity, not relativity? The claim is that whether a person is rude or polite is subjective, not that it is relative.

apehead

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:33 am
@kennethamy,
As a skeptic, I've found it useful to view examples in their Praxeological context, in order to prevent every conversation I get into regarding human action from sliding into the abyss of nihilistic futility.

View the scenario in the context of the individual actor's means and ends using "if/then" statements.

Let's try it using the "Rude Student" example from earlier in this thread.

Without knowing the student's most pressing goal, it's difficult to really determine if what the student was doing advanced him towards that goal or not.

Considering his action as objectively rude is perhaps the oddest concept I've read all week. I'm sure most of us consider cutting in line to be rude, but lines don't even form in East Asian cultures, just a bunch of shoving and jockeying for first dibs. I don't think that means that Eastern Asians are all rude, it just means that they have been indoctrinated with a different set of cultural and aesthetic values. To consider our collective Anglo-European culture as the objective meter by which behavior of all humans is measured is ignorant at best and arrogant at worst.

kennethamy

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:40 am
@apehead,
apehead;169090 wrote:
As a skeptic, I've found it useful to view examples in their Praxeological context, in order to prevent every conversation I get into regarding human action from sliding into the abyss of nihilistic futility.

View the scenario in the context of the individual actor's means and ends using "if/then" statements.

Without knowing the student's most pressing goal, it's difficult to really determine if what the student was doing advanced him towards that goal or not.

Considering his action as objectively rude is perhaps the oddest concept I've read all week. I'm sure most of us consider cutting in line to be rude, but lines don't even form in East Asian cultures, just a bunch of shoving and jockeying for first dibs. I don't think that means that Eastern Asians are all rude, it just means that they have been indoctrinated with a different set of cultural and aesthetic values. To consider our collective Anglo-European culture as the objective meter by which behavior of all humans is measured is ignorant at best and arrogant at worst.

What difference does it make what the student's goal was? In fact, what makes you think that the student even had a goal? Maybe he is just a boor. Of course, what is rude behavior is relative to a culture, although I cannot think of a culture in which in the circumstances I described the student's behavior would not be rude. There might be circumstances (hard think of) where that sort of behavior would not be rude, but not in the circumstances I described. Even in East Timbuctoo, if there were a class room there, and the student behaved that way, that student would be rude. You cannot judge only the behavior. It is the behavior in those circumstances. You seem to be talking only about the behavior, outside of any context. That would have nothing to do with the matter.

Twirlip

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:46 am
@apehead,
apehead;169090 wrote:
Considering his action as objectively rude is perhaps the oddest concept I've read all week.

You must have had an even duller week than I've had.

Arjuna

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 10:56 am
@apehead,
apehead;169090 wrote:

You've given a good formula for determining whether the Rude Student's behavior was good from his point of view. Much garbling of terms and arguing at cross purposes is the basic theme here though. Please be less straight forward.

And I appreciate your signature. But isn't that the last half of the sentence? Doesn't it start with: "Love and... ?"

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 11:24:32