Silly Subjectivism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:05 pm
@kennethamy,
Goshisdead wrote:
Fast: a claim about preference, as in relativistic either or claims based on non-reifiable criteria such as vanilla or chocolate and terrorist or freedom fighter. In the end it is a preference which is which.

Oh, so you're saying that whether someone is a terrorist or not is a matter of opinion. Well, that's not true. It is a matter of fact whether someone is a terrorist or not. I suppose you also think that whether someone is a rapist or not, is a matter of opinion?

fast

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:06 pm
@GoshisDead,
[QUOTE=GoshisDead;168712]yes fast: For you to maintain an ideology concerning a specific action, in this case, a suicide bombing. the definition you give that bombing and the person commiting that action does inspire e.g terrorist or freedom fighter.[/QUOTE]

I don't give definitions. But, I just may characterize a suicide bombing as a terrorist act, but then again, I might not. It depends. If the bombing is done for the purpose of creating a reign of terror, then I'm going to call it a terrorist act. Wouldn't you?

Now, let's see if I can come up with an example whereby a suicide bombing isn't a terrorist act. Suppose we want to put a stop to those terrorists' acts by killing the commanders that send out suicide bombers. But, let's say we're not doing so well. Then, we may enlist some suicide bombers ourselves and send them in to kill the commanders. If they target just the commanders, then such a suicide bombing wouldn't be a terrorist act--even if it incidentally creates some terror. See, whether or not the act is a terrorist act has a good bit to do with what exactly a terrorist act is. I posted earlier today explaining this.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:08 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168718 wrote:
Ken it doesn't matter what I say in reference to its truth, it matters what I and other do in reference to what I say.

It does? Why? It mattered that the Earth was round and not flat even if everyone said it was flat and acted as if it was. In fact, that everyone acted as if it was flat was exactly the matter! It inhibited exploration for a long while because people were afraid they would fall off the edge of the Earth.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:10 pm
@kennethamy,
Whether someone did or did not do a certain action is for all practical purposes a matter of fact. But how this action is described in emotional/ethical terms is something else.

A man and woman can indeed argue about whether a sexual encounter was rape. A judge is going to want the details. Of course then we are already dealing with history, and possibly different versions of it. In the case of terrorism, the bombing of Dresden could be called "terrorism." One can describe the fact of person planting explosive device in relatively neutral terms. But terms like "terrorist" or "freedom fighter" are simply more complicated. They are loaded with non-factual baggage.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:14 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;168723 wrote:
Oh, so you're saying that whether someone is a terrorist or not is a matter of opinion. Well, that's not true. It is a matter of fact whether someone is a terrorist or not.

If you would like to draw circles let me oblige.

Refer back to the beginning of the thread, re-read, repeat.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:16 pm
@kennethamy,
Reconstructo wrote:
A man and woman can indeed argue about whether a sexual encounter was rape.

But whether it was actually rape or not, is another matter. What is true is independent of our agreement of what is true. Whether or not the man and woman agree that it was rape has no bearing on if the woman was actually raped. It is either true that the woman was raped, or it is not true the woman was raped, no matter what is said or agreed upon.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:18 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;168728 wrote:
Whether someone did or did not do a certain action is for all practical purposes a matter of fact. But how this action is described in emotional/ethical terms is something else.

A man and woman can indeed argue about whether a sexual encounter was rape. A judge is going to want the details. Of course then we are already dealing with history, and possibly different versions of it. In the case of terrorism, the bombing of Dresden could be called "terrorism." One can describe the fact of person planting explosive device in relatively neutral terms. But terms like "terrorist" or "freedom fighter" are simply more complicated. They are loaded with non-factual baggage.

How it is described is a matter of fact too. It is a matter of fact whether an action is described as an act of terrorism or not. Of course, the term "terrorism" does carry negative emotional baggage. The reason for that is clear. Terrorism is a morally negative action, so naturally the word carries with it a negative meaning. What would you expect? The question is, of course, whether the action is correctly described as "terrorism" or not. Well, that will depend on the action. Was the action an intentional attack on helpless people or not? If it was then it was terrorism. Since that is what terrorism is. What is complicated about that?

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:19 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168731 wrote:
If you would like to draw circles let me oblige.

Refer back to the beginning of the thread, re-read, repeat.

I'd be more than willing to draw any shape you want, as long as I can get a straight response out of you Smile

Do you think that being a terrorist is a matter of opinion, or a matter of fact? (and remember the difference between opinion and matter of opinion that ken pointed out earlier)

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168726 wrote:
It does? Why? It mattered that the Earth was round and not flat even if everyone said it was flat and acted as if it was. In fact, that everyone acted as if it was flat was exactly the matter! It inhibited exploration for a long while because people were afraid they would fall off the edge of the Earth.

Exactly Ken That was the matter, people acted as if it were flat. Later when it was assumed that it was round people acted that way. The matter of inhibited exploration is being conflated with the notion of progress which is an ideological notion with no empirical merit. there is no way of knowing that people's lives were any better post earth roundyness. The simple notion of better in regards to lives has no empirical merit. People lived lives when the earth was flat, people lived lives after it was round. You are imposing ethical claims that I have not made.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:21 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168739 wrote:
Exactly Ken That was the matter, people acted as if it were flat. Later when it was assumed that it was round people acted that way. The matter of inhibited exploration is being conflated with the notion of progress which is an ideological notion with no empirical merit. there is no way of knowing that people's lives were any better post earth roundyness. The simple notion of better in regards to lives has no empirical merit. People lived lives when the earth was flat, people lived lives after it was round. You are imposing ethical claims that I have not made.

Who said anything about peoples' quality of life? :listening:

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:22 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;168736 wrote:
I'd be more than willing to draw any shape you want, as long as I can get a straight response out of you Smile

Do you think that being a terrorist is a matter of opinion, or a matter of fact? (and remember the difference between opinion and matter of opinion that ken pointed out earlier)

It is a matter of fact, for the exact reason I have already posted.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:24 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168742 wrote:
It is a matter of fact, for the exact reason I have already posted.

Well, then there is no dispute. All that other cultural/sociological talk has nothing to do with what was being spoken about in this thread. I'm not trying to be mean, but you see that, right?

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:28 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;168744 wrote:
Well, then there is no dispute. All that other cultural/sociological talk has nothing to do with what was being spoken about in this thread. I'm not trying to be mean, but you see that, right?

Nope, that would imply that the criteria for (fact) used would be the same. What I said was indeed relevant, because the same person being a freedom fighter is also a matter of fact.

Matter of fact is the interpretation of a fact. the only relevant fact used for interpretation in this thread has been (a person commits and act). Everything aside from that is interpretation of that fact, rendering both claims justifiable and thuerefore matters of fact.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:33 pm
@kennethamy,
Goshisdead wrote:
Matter of fact is the interpretation of a fact

Oh, no, no. That's not what facts are. A fact is that which is true independent of our interpretation. When we say matter of fact, we mean that it is a matter that is either true or false (I think this would mean a truth-bearer is present, like a proposition). And this is contrasted with matters of opinion, which are matters that, I believe, have no truth-value.

Again, our interpretation, agreement, or understanding is another matter. What is true is true, what is the case is the case, regardless if we interpret, agree, or understand it to be.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:39 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168739 wrote:

It wasn't just assumed it was round, it was round. That is why people could sail round it and not fall off. Had they assumed it was round, tried sailing it, and fell off, they would have been wrong whatever they assumed. Do I have to explain that?

fast

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:40 pm
@GoshisDead,
[QUOTE=GoshisDead;168747]Nope, that would imply that the criteria for (fact) used would be the same. What I said was indeed relevant, because the same person being a freedom fighter is also a matter of fact.

Matter of fact is the interpretation of a fact. the only relevant fact used for interpretation in this thread has been (a person commits and act). Everything aside from that is interpretation of that fact, rendering both claims justifiable and thuerefore matters of fact.[/QUOTE]

You aren't confusing an opinion with a matter of opinion, but you're confusing an opinion with a matter of fact. We can have an opinion about a factual matter, but facts remain just what they are despite that opinion.

By the way, can you explain how a person can simultaneously be both a freedom fighter and a terrorist? Never mind how different people from different cultural backgrounds can have differing opinions.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:47 pm
@fast,
fast;168758 wrote:

You aren't confusing an opinion with a matter of opinion, but you're confusing an opinion with a matter of fact. We can have an opinion about a factual matter, but facts remain just what they are despite that opinion.

By the way, can you explain how a person can simultaneously be both a freedom fighter and a terrorist? Never mind how different people from different cultural backgrounds can have differing opinions.

Yes, exactly.

Let's go over the three things again.

• Opinion
  • Matter of fact
  • Matter of opinion

Now, one can have an opinion about any matter, whether it be a matter of fact or a matter of opinion. But when it comes to opinions about matters of facts, the opinion is either right or wrong. When a doctor says that his opinion is that I have cancer, he is sharing his opinion about a matter of fact; it is either true or false that I have cancer, and therefore he is either right or wrong. However, if a person says that his opinion on the new Iron Man 2 flick is that it is a bad movie, he is sharing his opinion about a matter of opinion; there is no proposition or otherwise truth-bearer present, and therefore he is not right or wrong.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:48 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;168753 wrote:
Oh, no, no. That's not what facts are. A fact is that which is true independent of our interpretation. When we say matter of fact, we mean that it is a matter that is either true or false (I think this would mean a truth-bearer is present, like a proposition). And this is contrasted with matters of opinion, which are matters which, I think, have no truth-value.

Again, our interpretation, agreement, or understanding is another matter. What is true is true, what is the case is the case, regardless if we interpret, agree, or understand it to be.

Can you imagine that there are people in our institutions of learning who really do believe that what the facts are depends on what it is believed they are? But they do. The view is so bizarre that when it is frankly stated by GID it is nearly impossible to believe that he believes it. But, alas! he does. And so do many. It is a part of the postmodern age of idiocy. It is why philosophers like David Stove launched such a vociferous attack on Idealism. For postmodernism is but idealism warmed over. When Rorty wrote his notorious essay, "The World Well Lost", I knew a madness had revisited the groves of academe. "The sleep of reason gives forth monsters" (Goya).

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:56 pm
@kennethamy,
A fact is a fact, there is not even a basic comprehention of a fact without it being interpreted. A person cannot even recognize a fact without a corresponding interpretation of that fact.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:59 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168765 wrote:
A fact is a fact, there is not even a basic comprehention of a fact without it being interpreted. A person cannot even recognize a fact without a corresponding interpretation of that fact.

A fact is true no matter if the fact is recognized. You disagree with that?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 05:07:53