Silly Subjectivism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 10:51 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;168603 wrote:
You are saying that because two cultures could consider the person differently (one culture could consider the person a freedom fighter, and the other a terrorist), that the person is both a freedom fighter and a terrorist. But this is false.

Remember that the issue is not what we think is true, but rather, what is true. No matter what anyone thinks, the person is either a terrorist or not.

I am not saying it out of opinion of x or y, The actions of the person serve a specific function that perpetuates the culture itself. It is an actual role in the culture. There must be terrorists to have an anti-terrorist culture for the culture to perpetuate as is they are a necessity no matter how much that same culture villianizes them and 'wishes that there were none'. I have laid no value judgements whatsoever on the actions of the bomber. There must be freedom fighters to have a radical jihadist culture as the freedom fighter is a 'reaction to imperial terrorism'. along the kline there also must be the functions of bomber as 'necessary evil' and 'we don't agree with the methods but we understand them' for the various moderate cultural systems.

fast

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 11:28 am
@kennethamy,
If I create terror upon your people, that is not to say I am a terrorist, for my purpose may not have been to create terror upon your people, but if I create terror upon your people for the purpose of creating terror, then I am a terrorist.

Zetherin

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:38 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168605 wrote:
I am not saying it out of opinion of x or y, The actions of the person serve a specific function that perpetuates the culture itself. It is an actual role in the culture. There must be terrorists to have an anti-terrorist culture for the culture to perpetuate as is they are a necessity no matter how much that same culture villianizes them and 'wishes that there were none'. I have laid no value judgements whatsoever on the actions of the bomber. There must be freedom fighters to have a radical jihadist culture as the freedom fighter is a 'reaction to imperial terrorism'. along the kline there also must be the functions of bomber as 'necessary evil' and 'we don't agree with the methods but we understand them' for the various moderate cultural systems.

I don't understand your point.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 12:57 pm
@Zetherin,
Zeth:
To a single person living within any given cultural system, the bomber must be something, terrorist, freedom fighter, necessary evil, deluded fanatic, whatever. Within that same system a majority of individuals will think pretty much the same thing about the bomber, for that same system to exist 'as is' and perpetuate the same relative attitude about the bomber remains relatively the same. The definition serves the function of helping to perpetuate the system. So to an individual the bomber must be something, but a cross system view would show that the bomber is all of these things simultaneously.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:49 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168594 wrote:
The fact of the matter is given two discrete preference inputs one is prefered over the other, all the time. If we extend the range of discrete preference to suicide bombing, the bomber will be either a freedom fighter or a terrorist all the time. However since a suicide bomber is a singular entity with variable preference unlike chocolate and vanilla which are two discrete entities, the suicide bomber is simultaneously a a freedom fighter and a terrorist. There is no need for him/her to be one or the other aside from a definition a third party imposes on the actions taken by the bomber.

English translation, please. No speaka socialese-academese.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:51 PM ----------

GoshisDead;168636 wrote:
Zeth:
To a single person living within any given cultural system, the bomber must be something, terrorist, freedom fighter, necessary evil, deluded fanatic, whatever. Within that same system a majority of individuals will think pretty much the same thing about the bomber, for that same system to exist 'as is' and perpetuate the same relative attitude about the bomber remains relatively the same. The definition serves the function of helping to perpetuate the system. So to an individual the bomber must be something, but a cross system view would show that the bomber is all of these things simultaneously.

No speaka socialese-academese. English translation, please.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:55 PM ----------

Zetherin;168631 wrote:
I don't understand your point.

Of course not. If he has a point it is not made in English. It is a combination of socialese/academese. A peculiar exotic language said to be understood by only a few, and spoken in social science departments in inferior institutions of learning. The syntax and vocabulary are of no known language, but some say it resembles English slightly.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 01:58 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168660 wrote:
English translation, please. No speaka socialese-academese.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:51 PM ----------

No speaka socialese-academese. English translation, please.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 03:55 PM ----------

Of course not. If he has a point it is not made in English. It is a combination of socialese/academese. A peculiar exotic language said to be understood by only a few, and spoken in social science departments in inferior institutions of learning. The syntax and vocabulary are of no known language, but some say it resembles English slightly.

Hi Mr. Pot,
Wish you were here.
Love and Kisses,
Mr. Kettle

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:03 pm
@kennethamy,
The idea of some "objective" truth out there having nothing to do with our statements is arguably a bit of a superstition. It seems to me that the true foundation of objectivity is nothing but language use. What makes the psychotic person "psychotic"? What makes the the liar a liar? We don't agree with his or her language use. His or her statements do not gel with ours. We call them "false" as they do not correspond with our personal or social vision of "reality." "Reality" is only an abstraction. In a practical sense we absolutely need this abstraction. But ask youself honestly if any two humans would exhaustively describe "reality" in the same way. Ask any two cutting-edge scientists to exhaustively give their opinions on the latest matters, and see if you find no differences. Where can human beings such as us hope to get the official version of reality? I don't see any gods, any sages, any scientists, etc., with total knowledge of all that the term "reality" is supposed to imply.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:04 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168666 wrote:
Hi Mr. Pot,
Wish you were here.
Love and Kisses,
Mr. Kettle

Nah. Your not understanding an argument in no way shows it is not understandable. It shows only that you don't understand it. The proof is that fluent English speakers understand me, and do not understand you.

What was your point, by the way. English, please.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:10 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168672 wrote:
Nah. Your not understanding an argument in no way shows it is not understandable. It shows only that you don't understand it. The proof is that fluent English speakers understand me, and do not understand you.

For the record, I understood him. Smile

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168672 wrote:

If I tried to turn in what I wrote as a professional paper or to a graduate professor I would not get published or pass simply because it doesn't use proper jargon, form, and frame. I've already dumbed it down as far is its likely to get. Your inability to grasp it is just that, your inability. Blaming it on academese is a cop out, as it is defenitly not written in such a manner. I find your claims specious at best considering you are one of the people around the forum who constantly expresses discontent with the fact that people must dumb their posts down to be understood.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:24 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;168676 wrote:
For the record, I understood him. Smile

Now that is evidence for my point that he made no sense! Thank you. Your understanding of something is inversely proportional to its comprehensibility. Think about that.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 04:26 PM ----------

GoshisDead;168605 wrote:

Get it, Zeth? (What the hell is a kline?)

fast

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:28 pm
@GoshisDead,
[QUOTE=GoshisDead;168636]Zeth:
To a single person living within any given cultural system, the bomber must be something, terrorist, freedom fighter, necessary evil, deluded fanatic, whatever. Within that same system a majority of individuals will think pretty much the same thing about the bomber, for that same system to exist 'as is' and perpetuate the same relative attitude about the bomber remains relatively the same. The definition serves the function of helping to perpetuate the system. So to an individual the bomber must be something, but a cross system view would show that the bomber is all of these things simultaneously.[/QUOTE]

Majority fallacy.

Just because the majority of people believe that something is true, that doesn't make it true. That a group is regarded as terrorists doesn't make them terrorists. That a group is regarded as freedom fighters doesn't make them freedom fighters.

Do you think the terrorists that have hit the USA are not terrorists just because they belong to a group that belongs to a different cultural system with people that believes the terrorists are freedom fighters? No, I suppose you don't, but you do seem to think that the terrorists are also freedom fighters just because they may be regarded as freedom fighters by a majority of the people in the same cultural system of the terrorists.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:33 pm
@fast,
Fast I am not making a truth claim. The truth of what the people think is irrelevent. The fact that they do think it and it is a functional part of their shared cultural system is what is important. In fact the whole issue being discussed here is whether or not there is truth in any preferential claim. To which I would answer, who knows! and it doesn't matter!. What does matter is the definition the people use/identifies with inspires, at times requires them to act a certain way making the definition's function that which perpetuates the system. It doesn't matter if its true if people treat it like it is.

fast

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:35 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168696 wrote:
Fast I am not making a truth claim. The truth of what the people think is irrelevent. The fact that they do think it and it is a functional part of their shared cultural system is what is important. In fact the whole issue being discussed here is whether or not there is truth in any preferential claim. To which I would answer, who knows! and it doesn't matter!. What does matter is the definition the people use/identifies with inspires, at times requires them to act a certain way making the definition's function that which perpetuates the system. It doesn't matter if its true if people treat it like it is.

What's a preferential claim?

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:35 pm
@GoshisDead,
Cline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Sorry for the spelling I used, it was how I was introduced to the word.

---------- Post added 05-25-2010 at 01:38 PM ----------

Fast: a claim about preference, as in relativistic either or claims based on non-reifiable criteria such as vanilla or chocolate and terrorist or freedom fighter. In the end it is a preference which is which.

fast

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:46 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168696 wrote:

If I claim that a group of people are terrorists, then there's no way to know if my claim is right?

Definitions inspire? We're using lexical definitions.

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:53 pm
@fast,
yes fast: For you to maintain an ideology concerning a specific action, in this case, a suicide bombing. the definition you give that bombing and the person commiting that action does inspire e.g terrorist or freedom fighter. It reinforces the ideology. It requires you to have a certain feeling toward the sucide bomber and his action in order to retain the original ideology. Otherwise you would have to do a considerable overhaul to your ideology and your position in your associated community.

And again saying he is a terrorist is right or wrong is irrelevent. In one ideology it is and in another it isn't. This is not to say there is no right and wrong, only that there may not be a universal right and wrong. Just as in biology, introduce a species into an environment in which it does not organically belong, the environment is liable to change. This in effect leaves us at an ideological impact concerning ethical rights and wrongs. If we impost a universal right are we commiting the wrong of ideological colonization etc...

kennethamy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 02:59 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;168696 wrote:
It doesn't matter if its true if people treat it like it is.

Eh, why not? Because you say it doesn't matter? Why does it matter that you say it doesn't matter if it is true? And, furthermore, is it true that it does not matter that it is not true as long as everyone says it is true? A lot of people don't think that is true. Doesn't that matter?

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:03 pm
@kennethamy,
Ken it doesn't matter what I say in reference to its truth, it matters what I and other do in reference to what I say.

Reconstructo

Reply Tue 25 May, 2010 03:05 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;168689 wrote:
Now that is evidence for my point that he made no sense! Thank you. Your understanding of something is inversely proportional to its comprehensibility. Think about that.

Hey, I knew I was setting you up for just such a wisecrack! And you are welcome to it, my grumpy brother. And that's a metaphor. :flowers:

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 05:11:25