What do you think of other members in this forum?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:37 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;164929 wrote:
We should listen to the words of the baritone that open the choral section of the Ninth Symphony:

"Oh friends, not these tones!
Let us raise our voices in more
Pleasing and more joyful sounds!"

And then, perhaps fully understand that in Schiller's words, "all men throughout the world are brothers." This should be especially so in a forum dedicated to the pursuit of philosophy.

And that means that people cannot be idiots, and they ought not to be criticized for being idiots?

Emil

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:39 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164942 wrote:
And that means that people cannot be idiots, and they ought not to be criticized for being idiots?

Wouldn't it be a waste of time criticizing idiots? They don't learn, so why bother? I would concentrate on criticizing clever people, or at least non-idiotic people. There is still a chance for them to learn. Unless of course it has to do with religion... ... ...

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:44 am
@Emil,
Emil;164945 wrote:
Wouldn't it be a waste of time criticizing idiots? They don't learn, so why bother? I would concentrate on criticizing clever people, or at least non-idiotic people. There is still a chance for them to learn. Unless of course it has to do with religion... ... ...

But you are assuming that criticism is useful only for those being criticized. Those criticized need not, after all, be the only readers of the criticism. If the perpetrator of idiocy cannot learn (and who knows, lightening can strike) those who read the idiocy can be saved.

William

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:35 am
@platorepublic,
Emil and Ken. You have got to be Siamese twins. Where one is the other most assuredly follows.

William

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 09:57 am
@William,
William;164963 wrote:
Emil and Ken. You have got to be Siamese twins. Where one is the other most assuredly follows.

William

I have been to Denmark only twice. Emil has (so far as I know) never been to America. Both of us, however, believe that philosophizing consists of critical thinking as applied to philosophical problems, and that a great deal of nonsense sometimes goes under the name of philosophy. As Wittgenstein remarked, philosophy is full of (intellectual slums) and philosophers should take it upon themselves to clean out those slums before more disease is spread. Maybe we are intellectual twins, but not siamese. Besides, we are of vastly different ages, and only if one of us was traveling at the speed of light, and the other was not, could be be twins and not of the same age.

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 10:08 am
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;163337 wrote:
Without attacking specific members, what do you think of other members in this forum in general?

For me, I feel that the average age of the active members is 40, and that most of them are from the United States. Some of them are quite locked up in their own thoughts, and some of them are arrogant and close-minded academics. Hey, I am not saying I'm any better, I'm probably worse than that.

The rest are fine/okay.

Platorepublic I think that you are able to understand what you are speaking of very clearly. [ In my opinion ]

What you seem to be pointing out are the characteristics that we all have in common at times.
To be able to recognize this puts you way ahead of many.Smile

It does apear that we all have problems and we can not see all of our problems.

This may touch on some of what you have pointed out OCD ONLINE - The RIGHT Stuff - Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder: A defect of Philosophy, not Anxiety:detective:

It seems as this thread should have been in ethics. You sure have been getting alot of different points of views.

Emil

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 01:27 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164948 wrote:
But you are assuming that criticism is useful only for those being criticized. Those criticized need not, after all, be the only readers of the criticism. If the perpetrator of idiocy cannot learn (and who knows, lightening can strike) those who read the idiocy can be saved.

Right about that.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 02:24 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164851 wrote:

Oh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of people I would rather not be connected with.

Me too but the fact is we are all connected so instead of purposelessly fighting each other we could give peace a chance no matter how much it hurts and fight for that instead.
Why not each and all write a mandate that all members new and old alike sign and keep this higher more touching declaration of purposes.
Our own personal version Magna Carta.
Just a thought.

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 03:33 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;165006 wrote:
Me too but the fact is we are all connected so instead of purposelessly fighting each other we could give peace a chance no matter how much it hurts and fight for that instead.
Why not each and all write a mandate that all members new and old alike sign and keep this higher more touching declaration of purposes.
Our own personal version Magna Carta.
Just a thought.

If we are all connected, let us hope that it is loosely unless we want to tighten it up. Sharply differentiating and disassociating yourself from the views of others does not seem to me to constitute fighting with them. Freedom of association seems to me to be very precious.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:04 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165021 wrote:
If we are all connected, let us hope that it is loosely unless we want to tighten it up. Sharply differentiating and disassociating yourself from the views of others does not seem to me to constitute fighting with them. Freedom of association seems to me to be very precious.

Agreed I cant be me if all I want to do is be you.
I'm pretty unique and not as many people 'get' me as I would like, but I cannot give up who or how I am to just be more liked.
But there is a way of taking your own platform and not making those on another feel as it they are being belittled or quashed or below you.
But again what you don't understand is often more feared and discredited because it is something not usual or typical meaning that those who do have this prejudice against them need to work harder to illuminate the ignorant if not for the simple gift of taking away the fear of the unknown.

There are better wholey brighter (gooder) ways to tell someone the truth?
It's still the truth right? how could the truth ever be better proved?
(Just as is there a worse way to tell a lie?)

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:17 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;165026 wrote:
I'm pretty unique and not as many people 'get' me as I would like, but I cannot give up who or how I am to just be more liked.
But there is a way of taking your own platform and not making those on another feel as it they are being belittled or quashed or below you.
But again what you don't understand is often more feared and discredited because it is something not usual or typical meaning that those who do have this prejudice against them need to work harder to illuminate the ignorant if not for the simple gift of taking away the fear of the unknown.

Lost- in translation I think.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 04:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165030 wrote:
Lost- in translation I think.

Then if we wish to speak or be heard would it not be better to learn another language?
Also depends if you are trying to find or to be found.

I hope I am not lost! Even if I do spend days walking and talking around in circles.

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 05:25 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;165026 wrote:

I hear you clearly speaking, I think that not everyone can! Some times we may need to try a different approach to get threw to those that do not understand what we are saying.

It does not mean that they are stupid, it only means that we may be wrong or that we may not be able to convey to them in a manner that which they can relate to. I do believe that we all have this problem at times.
Maybe you are a prophet Sometime Sun:detective:

kennethamy

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 05:51 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic;165057 wrote:

It does not mean that they are stupid,

No, it need not mean that.

sometime sun

Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 06:01 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;165064 wrote:
No, it need not mean that.

Who's need? your or theirs?
Surly they are more important to themselves than you, and you more than they?
Can anyone know what is better for the you than the you?

Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 05:40 pm
@platorepublic,
I have noticed that I am quite a bit younger than most on here; I have also noticed that I tend to be more combative on various issues than most. I do not hold back in attacking any position that I think is either weak; unsupported; vague; plainly contradictory or suspicious. I've noticed some people have assumed that I am well educated; some sort of highfalutin quasi-sophisticate rapping people on the head for my own enjoyment.

I am 20, I do not yet have a college degree, I do not go to a top university and I am largely self taught. I do, however, read quite a bit and go out of my way to spend my free time engaging myself in academic pursuits and in seeking out students, professors, anyone who can spare a moment to enlighten me on subjects that I have developed questions about. So perhaps I have learned more than I might have if I had different tendencies and because of this I am viewed as demanding an unreasonable amount of rigor in my discussions, but this I cannot help.

I think that most of the people on this forum are generally benevolent and well meaning; they earnestly seek to know more. I usually try to be like this, though; I admit that I can be hot headed and I have a tendency to push my perspective until someone can make a very tight argument against it, perhaps overlooking a perfectly valid point due to my aggressive style of argumentation and my level of investment in the discussion.

I often become disenchanted with the forum, I think that it goes through intellectual droughts from time to time. That is, there are times I feel that none of the topics pique my interest and the topics I bring up are not generating discussion (or I simply have nothing of my own to add, so I am having my own intellectual drought); but I think this is quite normal.

So, Plato'sRepublic, I disagree that there are very many academics on here. The only person I am aware of being a true academic is Aedes, and I would consider most people on here to be very foolish in trying to debate him in medicine in general, simply because they would not have the grounding/training necessary to hold a proper debate. There are, however, very many Americans on here.

Ergo phil

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:22 am
@platorepublic,
I H A T E Ergo!

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:32 am
@Ergo phil,
Zet:
I would have to agree about the drought in the forum from time to time. I can take time off the forum for months at a time. I really don't think its an intellectual drought on the part of the members of the forum. Its just new people come in that want to discuss topics that have been discussed before or come in and discuss topics I care little about. The cycle of droughts in itself would for me summarize the system of the forum and my interaction with it.

kennethamy

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 10:35 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;165780 wrote:
Zet:
I would have to agree about the drought in the forum from time to time. I can take time off the forum for months at a time. I really don't think its an intellectual drought on the part of the members of the forum. Its just new people come in that want to discuss topics that have been discussed before or come in and discuss topics I care little about. The cycle of droughts in itself would for me summarize the system of the forum and my interaction with it.

It looks as if drought is in the throat of the perceiver.

reasoning logic

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 02:52 pm
@Ergo phil,
Ergo;165775 wrote:
I H A T E Ergo!

Why would you hate ergo, Have you been bad?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/12/2024 at 10:38:36