What do you think of other members in this forum?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy
 
Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 06:30 pm
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;164029 wrote:
Then you would accept that the kind of beliefs you have might at least in part be influenced by your experiences. It might be conceivable, for example, that one is entirely unreligious up until the point where one has, for one reason or another, a religious experience, leading one to re-evaluate one's prior attitude to questions of the nature of such experiences?


All kinds of experiences can cause one to believe things. A little boy would not go near anything made of satin because he once misheard "satin" as "Satan". But that is very different from those experiences being evidence for one's belief. The little boy's mishearing is no evidence for his belief that the material satin has anything to do with Satan. Don't you agree. What can cause you to believe this or that need not be evidence that will justify your belief.
 
jeeprs
 
Reply Thu 13 May, 2010 07:30 pm
@platorepublic,
People have delusional beliefs, no question, and believe things for bad reasons. Quite often beliefs are actually the expression of unconscious fears and desires, as Freud argued convincingly in Totem and Taboo and The Future of an Illusion. But in the areas of religious conviction, you encounter questions for which there may be no adjutication, for which there is no authority to appeal to beyond your own conscience, and no objective resolution. For example, there are educated, qualified and rational people who believe in God, and there are educated, qualified and rational people who don't. There are volumes of books on either side of the argument. But ultimately one has to make a decision about the matter, without really knowing one way or the other, for certain. Which is why such decisions are matters of faith. Faith is not necessarily the willingness to believe propositions for which there is no evidence. That is only one type of faith.
 
jgweed
 
Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:10 am
@platorepublic,
As with many topics, the conversation and discussion has taken its own interesting turn into an entirely different direction that would never be apparent to anyone looking at the thread topic.

Let's return to the original subject.
 
William
 
Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 05:34 am
@GoshisDead,
kennethamy;163435 wrote:
I did not feel that at all, and no one is more paranoid than I am.


sometime sun;163457 wrote:
Wanna bet..........


One thing about you, Sun, my friend is your brutal honesty. Let us all take a few punches in hopes that you quit beating yourself up so much. That's what we are here for, isn't it....share the burden making it much lighter for us all so we won't be so afraid/paranoid/alone.

William

---------- Post added 05-14-2010 at 07:16 AM ----------

jgweed;163407 wrote:
An unscientific impression I have is that about a third of the active Members of the community are relatively young, ranging from high school to college age, another third roughly from 21-40, and a somewhat smaller third (if such a thing be possible) over that.


Thanks for that, jg, ha! Me to be considered possible or not? Gosh! I was accused once of being "old school" and considering the chains, locks and metal detectors on the schools today, I would like to think I am a bit fortunate for attending those schools. Though I had to cheat a bit to get through them, ha! Didn't like all the stuff even those schools were forcing me to learn and relying on others who did. Sneaky, huh, ha!

William

---------- Post added 05-14-2010 at 08:01 AM ----------

GoshisDead;163473 wrote:
I would see the average forum member not as a demographic, but more as an idealogue. In this forum the age and the country pale in comparison to the ideal one is promoting. Granted we try to be 'open minded' but I see little of that here. What I see is people who have spent time making for themselves a schema of the universe as they have experienced it, then promoting it. I would assume the promotion is one of self esteem building. We need to know that we are right. Since there are not often venues in everyday life to express our ideals without being ridiculed or ostracized we have latched onto this place.

So giving a general demographic idea of we have young people escaping the "tyrany" of their parent'd dogmas, or we have middle aged folk who have imposed their ideal life upon themselves, or we have older folk who have accepted the diversity of life and ideals and are trying to unify them is pointless. What it comes down to is a rabble of quixotic idealists tilting at each other's windmills, and enjoying it like only a crazy donkey riding spaniard can.


Yea!

Emil;163500 wrote:
..Most are from the US.


You are not part of US? Please, if you don't mind, where are you from if you not of those united states of people on this planet? ha!

mark noble;163553 wrote:
Hello all,

I find you all quite fascinating.
To judge a person by nationality, religion, age, colour, etc; is purely judgmental of one's own reflective construct.
Judge not others, lest you be judged (more to the point) by the method you judge, you are judged. And it will come around.

People are people. We all have similarities, but no two are the same.
And that's what I adore about you all - The variety of you.

I see specialists and I see novices, I'm a generalist.
And I would love to believe we each can find a common ground on which to inspire ourselves and those in our wake.

"Where variety fails to spread her feet
stagnation rests her head, in sleep".

Journey well, and fruit.

Mark...


Well said.

jgweed;164185 wrote:
As with many topics, the conversation and discussion has taken its own interesting turn into an entirely different direction that would never be apparent to anyone looking at the thread topic.

Let's return to the original subject.


John, good luck in directing that traffic here. Ha! The thread itself invited finger pointing and that always ends in chaos and traffic jams.

william
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:39 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;164045 wrote:
But ultimately one has to make a decision about the matter, without really knowing one way or the other, for certain. Which is why such decisions are matters of faith. Faith is not necessarily the willingness to believe propositions for which there is no evidence. That is only one type of faith.


Why would you think that either there is certainty, or there is faith? I may not be certain what hour in the day I was born, but I have a good deal of evidence that is was in the morning, so my belief that it was in the morning is not faith, although I am not certain of it. To think that there is only certainty or faith is to commit the black or white fallacy.
 
jgweed
 
Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 06:59 am
@platorepublic,
Meandering threads are for the forum user much like entering a bookstore in which someone has changed all the book jackets. You are looking for a copy of Tennyson, elated at finding it, and then put out when you open it to find it is a geology textbook.
 
xris
 
Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 09:37 am
@mark noble,
mark noble;163553 wrote:
Hello all,

I find you all quite fascinating.
To judge a person by nationality, religion, age, colour, etc; is purely judgemental of one's own reflective construct.
Judge not others, lest you be judged (more to the point) by the method you judge, you are judged. And it will come around.

People are people. We all have similarities, but no two are the same.
And that's what I adore about you all - The variety of you.

I see specialists and I see novices, I'm a generalist.
And I would love to believe we each can find a common ground on which to inspire ourselves and those in our wake.

"Where variety fails to spread her feet
stagnation rests her head, in sleep".

Journey well, and fruit.

Mark...
Im so glad you came to our little soiree, your insight here will be a great asset. When there is so damned many of us humans, its so refreshing to find how different we all can be. Yes , should we, could we judge without being judged ?
 
mark noble
 
Reply Fri 14 May, 2010 10:03 am
@xris,
Hello all,

To ask if we could be humane about our impessions upon each other, would be to imply that humanity is humane. It is not, unfortunately, on the whole, at least.

Are we not all here for one reason? To be welcomed as we welcome?

I have a great deal of knew knowledge to impart, and, indeed, a great deal of knowledge to absorb. I truly value all of your opinions, all of your expertise, and all of your all.
Please, even though this thread has gone off on a tangent, can't we just be what we can be? A brotherhood of lost, messed-up civilians, dying for the need to find some bloody sense in the human condition, and exploit it to the furthering of our own, and other's best interests?

I love you all, but, guys! There's little time left. This world, this people - hang on the edge of extinction, A decade ,at best.
If we don't figure it out soon, If we don't find some common-ground? Then all we have left to say, is--- Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish!

Mark...
 
platorepublic
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:07 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;164277 wrote:
Hello all,

To ask if we could be humane about our impessions upon each other, would be to imply that humanity is humane. It is not, unfortunately, on the whole, at least.

Are we not all here for one reason? To be welcomed as we welcome?

I have a great deal of knew knowledge to impart, and, indeed, a great deal of knowledge to absorb. I truly value all of your opinions, all of your expertise, and all of your all.
Please, even though this thread has gone off on a tangent, can't we just be what we can be? A brotherhood of lost, messed-up civilians, dying for the need to find some bloody sense in the human condition, and exploit it to the furthering of our own, and other's best interests?

I love you all, but, guys! There's little time left. This world, this people - hang on the edge of extinction, A decade ,at best.
If we don't figure it out soon, If we don't find some common-ground? Then all we have left to say, is--- Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish!

Mark...

Oh no! A decade at best?! What should we do?!!!!
 
mark noble
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:33 pm
@platorepublic,
platorepublic;164745 wrote:
Oh no! A decade at best?! What should we do?!!!!


Hello Plato,

I'm not a fatalist, I have no placard that reads " The end is nigh".
I am basing the time period on the rate of methane hydrate exposure. Do the math.

Not the end of life, either - more, the end of societal integrity.

Thank you for your valuable input to this thread.

Be merry

Mark...
 
sometime sun
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 05:39 pm
@mark noble,
What connects us not that which will drive us apart.
YouTube - Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm (Video)
 
jeeprs
 
Reply Sat 15 May, 2010 08:11 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble;164751 wrote:

I am basing the time period on the rate of methane hydrate exposure..


Hi Mark

I am curious to know what this means, although this is probably not the thread to do it in.

I am also curious about the remark you made elsewhere that 'the speed of light is 34kph through carbon'.

Perhaps you could find a place to elaborate?

Jeeprs
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 01:19 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;164210 wrote:
Meandering threads are for the forum user much like entering a bookstore in which someone has changed all the book jackets. You are looking for a copy of Tennyson, elated at finding it, and then put out when you open it to find it is a geology textbook.


But you might find that it is geology that you really should be reading. That happens too. (But no aspersions on Tennyson).

---------- Post added 05-16-2010 at 03:22 AM ----------

sometime sun;164752 wrote:
What connects us not that which will drive us apart.
YouTube - Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm (Video)



Oh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of people I would rather not be connected with.
 
William
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 05:51 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164851 wrote:

Oh, I don't know about that. There are a lot of people I would rather not be connected with.


Not to start an argument here Ken, ha; (your favorite thing it seems), but considering the number of posts you have vs the thanks you have given You don't seem to connect with many of us at all. In that regard, I have often wondered why you are here at all? It seems you don't 'hear' much of anything another has to offer?

This forum has but one goal. For the first time in our history we can communicate globally together for the expressed purpose of understanding each other and the many thoughts we have had that will allow us to recognize some element of a truth we all are searching for.

Perhaps if you were a little more open to what others are expressing you might find a freedom that you never realized before, yourself. Self can be a lonely place without others to share your thoughts with. But you need to hear theirs too.

Be us so humble we can be wrong; can you imagine that in yourself and why you hear so little? Hmmm? I have thanked you little or if at all that I can remember because it is difficult for me to understand anything you have to say on any subject?

Please excuse my personal observation, after all it is the subject of the thread and you are a member.

From me to you, :a-ok: Cheers
William
 
mark noble
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 06:50 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;164789 wrote:
Hi Mark

I am curious to know what this means, although this is probably not the thread to do it in.

I am also curious about the remark you made elsewhere that 'the speed of light is 34kph through carbon'.

Perhaps you could find a place to elaborate?

Jeeprs


Hi Jeeprs,

I don't wish to corrupt this thread with methane hydrates, and hockey-stick models. It's a little off discussion.

The same with (light)! wrong thread! We,ll catch up elsewhere.

Thank you Sun, and journey well

Mark...
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 07:17 am
@William,
William;164885 wrote:
Not to start an argument here Ken, ha; (your favorite thing it seems), but considering the number of posts you have vs the thanks you have given You don't seem to connect with many of us at all. In that regard, I have often wondered why you are here at all? It seems you don't 'hear' much of anything another has to offer?

This forum has but one goal. For the first time in our history we can communicate globally together for the expressed purpose of understanding each other and the many thoughts we have had that will allow us to recognize some element of a truth we all are searching for.

Perhaps if you were a little more open to what others are expressing you might find a freedom that you never realized before, yourself. Self can be a lonely place without others to share your thoughts with. But you need to hear theirs too.

Be us so humble we can be wrong; can you imagine that in yourself and why you hear so little? Hmmm? I have thanked you little or if at all that I can remember because it is difficult for me to understand anything you have to say on any subject?

Please excuse my personal observation, after all it is the subject of the thread and you are a member.

From me to you, :a-ok: Cheers
William


Hmm. And all this time I thought that because it was a philosophy forum its function was discuss philosophy. I must have been misinformed. Perhaps the name of the site should be change to, "Shall we schmooze together?" Let's propose the change.

I suppose you have that difficulty about understanding what I have to say, because what I have to say has to do with philosophy and coherent thought. It is much the same reason that, as you indignantly reported, Schwartz took the trouble to tell you not to write to him again because what you wrote made no sense. I can understand that.
 
Emil
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:05 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164904 wrote:
Hmm. And all this time I thought that because it was a philosophy forum its function was discuss philosophy. I must have been misinformed. Perhaps the name of the site should be change to, "Shall we schmooze together?" Let's propose the change.

I suppose you have that difficulty about understanding what I have to say, because what I have to say has to do with philosophy and coherent thought. It is much the same reason that, as you indignantly reported, Schwartz took the trouble to tell you not to write to him again because what you wrote made no sense. I can understand that.


He did? Really? Link?
 
kennethamy
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:08 am
@Emil,
Emil;164924 wrote:
He did? Really? Link?


He did, really. Must I really do the research? Maybe William will 'fess up.
 
jgweed
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:16 am
@platorepublic,
We should listen to the words of the baritone that open the choral section of the Ninth Symphony:

"Oh friends, not these tones!
Let us raise our voices in more
Pleasing and more joyful sounds!"

And then, perhaps fully understand that in Schiller's words, "all men throughout the world are brothers." This should be especially so in a forum dedicated to the pursuit of philosophy.




 
Emil
 
Reply Sun 16 May, 2010 08:25 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;164926 wrote:
He did, really. Must I really do the research? Maybe William will 'fess up.


http://www.philosophyforum.com/lounge/general-discussion/8375-formal-education-philosophy.html#post152721

I found it myself.
 
 

 
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/28/2024 at 12:11:24