Tomorrow you will die.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:29 pm
@Sevis,
Sevis;159657 wrote:
Because by spending a few hours doing chores I could make things much easier for those around me. I know my computer will go to a certain person, but that using it as it is would prove impossible for pretty much anyone but me: thus, I'd write up some instructions, change keyboard layout to qwerty, reset passwords to something simple, etc. The same logic is for apologizing and thanking: I do not want to make anyone who I thought well of to have to guess it.

Let's say you have, for the sake of argument, 12 hours to live. If you hurry,
you can get all of your chores done in 8 hours. Is this really what you would
choose to do?

fast

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 03:37 pm
@mister kitten,
[QUOTE=mister kitten;159373]Pretend the title is so. What now? [/QUOTE]Dang, I wish I would have seen this yesterday! What time?

[QUOTE]Are you going to change any routines you have? [/QUOTE]Yeah.

[QUOTE]Are you going to go out and 'start living'? (if what you're doing now isn't 'living', then why are you doing it?) [/QUOTE]Well, I'm gonna hope I still have an appetite and eat lavishly. As to living, well, don't we all, as we have responsibilities and no known precise deadline for when our final moments will come, so maybe the not knowing has a bit to do with why we don't live the day like it's our last.

[QUOTE]Are you going to be remembered? [/QUOTE]Yes.

[QUOTE]Are you going to try to be remembered? [/QUOTE]Hmmm. Too much thinking to be my last day.

[QUOTE]Are you going to pray?[/QUOTE]Yes!

[QUOTE]Are you going to kill yourself? [/QUOTE]I hope not.

[QUOTE]Quantity of experience over quality? The reverse? [/QUOTE]No sleeping; that's for sure.

[QUOTE]What are you going to do with your death sentence.[/QUOTE]
Wish it away. Or, I'll do as philosophers do--simply say that it won't happen three times; that'll make it true. That'll make it true. That'll make it true.

Sevis

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:10 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;159664 wrote:
Let's say you have, for the sake of argument, 12 hours to live. If you hurry,
you can get all of your chores done in 8 hours. Is this really what you would
choose to do?

Yes, I would. I find it very important that I can tell everyone precisely what I feel of them. I try to do that always, but I would go out of my way for it: call relatives abroad, restate in final form a few other things. Besides, I would, thus, spend eight hours of my last day talking to those people who I find are important. What better could I wish?

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:19 pm
@Sevis,
Sevis;159677 wrote:
Yes, I would. I find it very important that I can tell everyone precisely what I feel of them. I try to do that always, but I would go out of my way for it: call relatives abroad, restate in final form a few other things. Besides, I would, thus, spend eight hours of my last day talking to those people who I find are important. What better could I wish?

How would you decide who to actually spend your time with? It would seem
that a lot of people you communicated would think that they were the ones
you needed to spend your last hours with, as opposed to someone else. It
seems like letting a lot of people know what is going on would open up a lot of
possibilities for hurt feelings if you chose one person over another.

mister kitten

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:25 pm
@fast,
fast;159667 wrote:

Yes.

Hmmm. Too much thinking to be my last day.

For how long will you be remembered?

---------- Post added 05-03-2010 at 06:29 PM ----------

TickTockMan;159476 wrote:
This is an interesting question. I think a lot of people would be so busy freaking out about their impending death and taking care of those pesky "last minute details" that their time would slip away and be gone before they actually lived those last few moments.

As far as any off us know, we could die tomorrow.

I think that's why it's important to appreciate every moment we can.

And watch lots of sunsets.

Or reverse sunsets, if you wake early enough.
Appreciate the positive and negative?
:popcorn:

Sevis

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:45 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;159683 wrote:
How would you decide who to actually spend your time with? It would seem
that a lot of people you communicated would think that they were the ones
you needed to spend your last hours with, as opposed to someone else. It
seems like letting a lot of people know what is going on would open up a lot of
possibilities for hurt feelings if you chose one person over another.

I know who I want to spend my last hours with, and who I am willing to give how much time. I wouldn't have to tell everyone exactly what's going on -- I could even just pass on the message by writing a letter to each person, I'm not sure I'd want it personal -- but I am certain I would not be able to spend my last hours in comfort while knowing I have things unsaid.

lazymon

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:49 pm
@Sevis,
I would probably write a letter to my loved ones, maybe even think about a letter to the people I hate as well. Then I would try to experience things like Marijuana(I have never smoked it before) Also I hear heroine is the mother of all experiences.

sometime sun

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 04:50 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;159373 wrote:
Pretend the title is so. What now?

I would say stop pretending, it is so.
What now?
What is now.
Knowing it is so actually takes away the fear.
What now?
Be care free.
Be free.
Allowance of the happy.

Are you going to change any routines you have?

My routines are already geared by knowing this.
But i would probably not exercise and go dancing instead.
I would get together any money i have spare and hand out fivers to people i pass on my final walk.
I would eat fish and chips for lunch and order Chinese for dinner.

Would you want to die under the sky or under your roof?
The only reason i would choose my roof is that i could play the loudest music known by any man.
But for the final thing i see to be the sky and its inhabitants might be to strong to give it up for music?
All my windows and doors would be open.

Are you going to go out and 'start living'? (if what you're doing now isn't 'living', then why are you doing it?)

I would go and say goodbye to the sun moon and stars,
probably phone home,
but would do what makes me most happy which may mean staying 'in'.

Are you going to be remembered?

I dont expect so.
But would hope so.
And remembered for my best rather than my worst.
I cant expect anything.

Are you going to try to be remembered?

Yes actually i think i would try to make someone smile and they remember the smile more than me.

Are you going to pray?

No need.

Are you going to kill yourself?

Not unless it is my reason for my death.
Not unless i must.

Would you prefer to kill yourself or have somone else do it for you?

Quantity of experience over quality? The reverse?

Quality.

What are you going to do with your death sentence.

Serve it.

TickTockMan

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 05:08 pm
@sometime sun,
It seems to me that many of the things people are saying that they would
do if they were going to die tomorrow are things that might be a good idea
to do even if you didn't have the knowledge that you were leaving tomorrow.

Well, except for the heroin idea. I can't say as I'd recommend that particular
path to anyone.

Not a big country fan, but I like what this song has to say . . .

YouTube - Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying - HQ (Official)

lazymon

Reply Mon 3 May, 2010 05:16 pm
@TickTockMan,
Oh god, I'm from Texas and I hate that music Laughing

fast

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 12:57 pm
@mister kitten,

[QUOTE=mister kitten;159685]For how long will you be remembered?[/QUOTE][QUOTE=mister kitten;159685]
[/QUOTE]Not nearly long enough. Even many of those with a celebrity status will not be remembered through the forgetfulness of time.

Elvis Presley will be remembered. Neil Armstrong will be remembered. George Washington will be remembered. But, will Chuck Norris? I think those that are firsts and those that have greatly impacted our culture will be remembered for many years, and the more significant the impact those have made on civilization will probably indicate how their remembrance will fare as time continues to tick and tock away.

Will I be remembered? Yes, but will I be remembered a 1,000 years from now? I think George Washington will, but I don't think I will be. There'll be a trace that I was alive, but I don't see that there will be those that will be trying to find out. That's not to say of course that I do not play my own small part in the lives of others right now though.

So, although I may not be remembered, what I do today will have an effect on the future state of the world, and so long as we individually do our parts to do what's right (be those acts remembered or not), we will collectively (together as a group) make for a better tomorrow.

In analogy, a small infant may not remember that you treated them well as an infant, but they will reap the benefit of your care be they remember it or not.

On my tombstone, I think I'll say:

[INDENT]Thanks for stopping by.
[/INDENT]
I want to be remembered, but most of all, I want to show my appreciation for those that do.

mister kitten

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:13 pm
@mister kitten,
Maybe mine will say: Don't walk on my grave, and I won't walk on yours.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:36 pm
@mister kitten,

DwightLSmith

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:45 pm
@mister kitten,
You, You, You...Is it fair to ask what others might do upon the occasion of your death? I quixotically hope to leave behind utter chaos, unto and including tiny food riots. Otherwise I really wasn't that needed, right?

mister kitten

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 01:56 pm
@DwightLSmith,
DwightLSmith;160106 wrote:
You, You, You...Is it fair to ask what others might do upon the occasion of your death? I quixotically hope to leave behind utter chaos, unto and including tiny food riots. Otherwise I really wasn't that needed, right?

Tomorrow you will die; what will you do?
Not what others will do. What will others do?
Grieve? Their fate is the same as yours.

Place doughnuts in a circular ring around the police station! Or is that a crime?

Pyrrho

Reply Tue 4 May, 2010 07:48 pm
@mister kitten,
Pretend the title is so. What now?

Are you going to change any routines you have?

I don't have much in the way of routines. But I would not do much of anything that might be classified as "work". My affairs are pretty well in order, so I need not do anything about that.

Are you going to go out and 'start living'? (if what you're doing now isn't 'living', then why are you doing it?)

What do you mean? I would spend the day with my wife. And I would probably open a good bottle of Champagne.

Are you going to be remembered?

Do you mean, am I famous? No, though I am not completely unknown. Certainly, my wife will remember me.

Are you going to try to be remembered?

No. What would be the point?

Are you going to pray?

No. That would be pointless.

Are you going to kill yourself?

My initial thought was no, but it really depends upon how I am dying. Is it going to be some tortuous execution? If so, then yes, but otherwise, I am in no hurry to die.

Quantity of experience over quality? The reverse?

With only 24 hours, there is not much of quantity that will be possible. So I would advise people in such a situation to look for quality.

What are you going to do with your death sentence.

I would probably open a good bottle of Champagne that I have and spend the day alone with my wife. Perhaps I would listen to some Bach.

mister kitten

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 04:51 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;159692 wrote:
1. I would say stop pretending, it is so.

2. Knowing it is so actually takes away the fear.

3. My routines are already geared by knowing this.

4. I would get together any money i have spare and hand out fivers to people i pass on my final walk.

5. I would eat fish and chips for lunch and order Chinese for dinner.

6. Would you want to die under the sky or under your roof?
The only reason i would choose my roof is that i could play the loudest music known by any man.

7. Quality.

1. Why is it so? What makes today our last day? "Our days are never coming back..." -soad
2. How does it take away fear? Fear of death? Fear of fears?
Life without fear is what kind of life?
3. Are they routines for before you're dead, or are they dead routines?
4. Would you talk to any of those people? Do you have any lessons for them?
5. Chinese food:Glasses:
6. I would prefer to be on my roof. Shouting poems at the heavens, and doing rain dances with birds or bears.
7. Quality in the last day?
Or all our last days?
We can't remember our first days. I can't at least.

---------- Post added 05-05-2010 at 08:07 PM ----------

Pyrrho;160186 wrote:

What do you mean? I would spend the day with my wife. And I would probably open a good bottle of Champagne.

When the discussion was brought up in my philosophy class some said they would go out and 'start living'...they understood that to be exciting experiences they would not do under normal circumstances (i.e. skydiving).

I asked because if one is not 'living' why is one alive?

sometime sun

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 07:20 pm
@mister kitten,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometime sun http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif
1. I would say stop pretending, it is so.

2. Knowing it is so actually takes away the fear.

3. My routines are already geared by knowing this.

4. I would get together any money i have spare and hand out fivers to people i pass on my final walk.

5. I would eat fish and chips for lunch and order Chinese for dinner.

6. Would you want to die under the sky or under your roof?

7. Quality.

mister kitten;160641 wrote:
1. Why is it so? What makes today our last day? "Our days are never coming back..." -soad
2. How does it take away fear? Fear of death? Fear of fears?
Life without fear is what kind of life?
3. Are they routines for before you're dead, or are they dead routines?
4. Would you talk to any of those people? Do you have any lessons for them?
5. Chinese food:Glasses:
6. I would prefer to be on my roof. Shouting poems at the heavens, and doing rain dances with birds or bears.
7. Quality in the last day?
Or all our last days?
We can't remember our first days. I can't at least.

1. Today is the last 6th May 2010 you will ever have, make the most of it, be as happy as you can handle, it is not coming back for you to do something different with it.
It is not just the day that is dead, itis your day that is dead and gone.
2. Knowing it is your last day means you dont need to worry about the future as much, if at all.
Accepting and even antiscipating death is not easy but once you know it cant get any worse you are strangely liberated.
Hell is not the worst punishment, lif eis.
It should take away all fears but this is not so, because the problem with those in life who are actually not scared of death (Maybe dying but not death) become terrified of living, they do not wish to have to go through what they went through to no longer fear being deceased.
This fearlessness i have has come at a great price, it has come at the price of my life.
So although i am not ultimately afraid of death i am in fact terrified of living.
But i am getting braver, which may in turn bring back the fear of death?
3. 'Dead routines' i like this, would like to hear you expand on it before i answered, but if i am getting you right, truthfully i have no routine that is not expected to be my last, not worshipped as my last, not always remembered they are my last machinations, but i have nothing to expect or to prepare as it has alll already ALL been done. I have done everything i can to save my life and still find that i have absolutely no power over it. Once you accept you are powerless you find the power of finality of consolidation of account expired even of nothingness. I am not afraid of the great nothing either.
Nothing is only ever going to be nothing, what the beef?
Death is going to happen, and i truely believe that when my time is at up that this is the will of God,
and you cant hide and why would you from God.
To have TRUE faith is to no longer doubt death, that is all fear is, is doubt.
People will deny that they doubt death but this is what everyone does, they doubt death.
They do not know what is coming, they do not know what is happening, they do not know why.
It is un-natural to not fear and doubt death.
Does this mean i think i am un-natural?
Yes it does.
(possibly the only supernatural but more than likely just un-natural)
I have been through every imaginable death and i have a fecundant imagination. I used to worship death heavily, now i have lost the worship and fear because i have TRUE faith the likes of which even most clergy cant or should not try to imagine.
Pain goes away with death, or it is only just beginning, but why truly fear something you are POWERLESS to avoid is now beyond me.
You should only fear your own mistakes in life because to fear someone elses is pointless because you will never have control over fate or some one elses design.
Probably one of the reasons i now-a-days find it so hard to cry is that i think i have shed all the tears i need for myself.
Greif and tears is just feeling sorry for yourself and being selfish.
Which of course i believe we must form time to time be but i dont rate my pain above that of any others, now if i were to feel pain for something else whether this is selfish is another matter?
And why i hide form people so much is that i am in terror of causing anything other than myself pain.
I am so used to self infliction that pain is a foriegn thing to me.
And the reason i hide and am re-asurred away from life in death is that i am still terrified of other people causing me pain,
unless they are there to end it.
So to answer (again) you transcend routine, you understand and fully realise and recognise,
'There is NOTHING that can ever be done',
(which also means that although you are not afraid of the tremors of death you cannot ever be prepared for it either, it only happens once to you and you never get a test run, it will for everyone be a wholely unique and the only individual experience)
but until i fianly go to rest or finaly go to work i will find new things to do always expecting them to lead to my sleep.
When i go to sleep at night although i do not think about it all the time i never really expect to wake up,
i am ready and am compelled to have to get up sometimes, i set my alarm, but never really expect to be woken by it.
How could i ever expect something different that is not my fate and the ultimate will of God?
I accept my biological fate, i have cast all my spells conserning death i have done in life everything i can to be ready, everything, the table is well and truly set, it always has been and always will be.
I got into trouble in my life when i thought i could predict it and escape from it, now i just accept it is part of my nature,
so be done with it when it is done.
Be done with it when it is done.
I know it is there and will probably be a little surprised when it does come, i may even fight it but this i have also come to accept is natural, the body will still fight for air even if the person has jumped off the bridge into the river.
Life at all costs is a natural reflex.
And nothing to be ashamed of.
It is completely natural and forgivable to fight death.
Even as i said if you were not pushed off that bridge.
But if i am ever given the morning to remember or warned it is my last day i will come to accept it readily and maybe a little to quickly and no need to rush around. I know this because this has happened to me on more than one occasion, i dressed in a shirt i had been saving and went out and bought a bottle of vodka and abandoned my diet by buying biscuits and a couple of chocolate bars.
The point is, although i was convinced this would be the day, i did not stay inside and hide from it, by the end of that morning i had already decided not to bother drinking the spirit and took a shower instead.
Still thoroughly expecting it in the afternoon or night.
(These days are few and far between now, mainly because i am ready and dont really care enough to get frantic)
I suppose you could say i am a little if not a lot apathetic toward sdeath.
Honestly you can never be ready to not fight it but you can have such a routine of thought that it at least is face-able.
That you are able in the face of it to show yourself and the life you once had and did not do enough with some small amount of respect and decorum.
There is also something to be said for fighting death and surviving and this is the will of God but i will leave that till later.
I suppose the point i am trying to make is i am so scared of living i am a little relieved when i think death is knocking on my door.
All i believe is that it will not be done by my hand.
I may not be afraid of death but i sure as hell dont welcome it,
especially now i have a little bit of respect and desire for living, more and more these days.
It is not my choice it is Gods,
believe that and you can believe anything,
including yourself.
Including life.
I gave up MY 'right' to death the day i gave it to God.
And then realised He had it all along.
4. Nope just a fiver and a smile and maybe a snog if i get lucky.
Just the lesson it is nice and good in life to give to others.
And hopefully they will recognise it is actually essential.
5. Yes Chinese is my favourite food and i love food so why not treat myself to the last taste of sweet and savory i am ever going to have in this life.
Last meal if you will.
6. Already done what you described, God and i will be writting and shouting the best soon enough.
It goes so quickly.
7. Quality in the all last days, just try your best, that is quality, quality is comfortable.
Being your best actually feels 'right'.

sometime sun

---------- Post added 05-06-2010 at 03:34 AM ----------

I just re-realised that to doubt and fear death means you are wholely human.
Jesus Christ had his moment of doubt and pain which made Him truly the Son of Man, Son of humanity, Son of God.
He had to experience these things to be truly wholely human.
Truly sacrifice something.

And this makes me wonder IF my claims are indeed truth and not delusion that this fearlessness makes me in-human, not human?

Perhaps one of those times i was in peril of death i really did die.?
Maybe i lost my humanity?

Maybe this is why i cant cry, maybe my soul is already with God and this body and mind and function is all that is left?
Can a mind function without a soul?
(i Know i still have my soul, but it is fun to wonder)

Yogi DMT

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:27 pm
@mister kitten,
This is actually my ideal philosophy on life. I believe we should all be out there living life to it's fullest. Live everyday like tomorrow will be your last. The truth is you only have one life to live so enjoy it!

Pyrrho

Reply Wed 5 May, 2010 09:47 pm
@mister kitten,
mister kitten;160641 wrote:
Pyrrho;160186 wrote:

When the discussion was brought up in my philosophy class some said they would go out and 'start living'...they understood that to be exciting experiences they would not do under normal circumstances (i.e. skydiving).

I asked because if one is not 'living' why is one alive?

Thanks for the clarification. Skydiving does not sound like fun to me. If it did, I would not wait until I was about to die to try it. I would rather spend the day with my wife, drinking Champagne and listening to Bach. If others want to skydive, that is fine with me. But if it sounds fun to them, they ought not put it off too long if they can afford it.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:43:56