No T.V for you.

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » No T.V for you.

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:22 pm
'Those who say they dont or wont watch tv are as stupid as those who say they dont or wont read books'
I am rephrasing someone i met the other other day.

I noticed a shift in my behaviour recently having just cut down my shows from 3 to 1 a week.
It is mainly because i am here or on the computer more but was wondering at this behaviour,
there was a time in my life where T.V was nearly my entire world, watching and rewatching the same programes over and again.
But now NOT.
I cant stand to watch the same programe more than once unless it is one of my shows and even then i just put the re-run on in the back ground.

Do you NOT watch tv?
Why not?

What is bad about T.V?
What is good about T.V?
What are the benefits or drawbacks of a computer based entertainment rather than a televisual one?

Soul Brother

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:44 pm
@sometime sun,
Sometime sun, you are not aware?

TV is the greatest hypnotist on planet Earth.

Mass hypnotism.

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 05:46 pm
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;157304 wrote:
Sometime sun, you are not aware?

TV is the greatest hypnotist on planet Earth.

Mass hypnotism.

Is this hypnosis needed to calm the masses,
even educate them?

Where would we be if we were no cooed and calmed by the almighty box?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:32 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;157306 wrote:
even educate them?

Where would we be if we were no cooed and calmed by the almighty box?

without Time and DOW Jones,
without Financial Times

blown in the Pool-on-the-Roof

em-Bank-ment
Green Man
George V
Strong-Box?

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:34 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
What would happen if the T.V box went off air?

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:40 pm
@sometime sun,
Less then when www went off

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:45 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep;157330 wrote:
Less then when www went off

Today in the now,
which would be the bigger negative impact upon this society world, the loss of T.V or www?
Telephone?
Radio?

onetwopi

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:46 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;157292 wrote:
'Those who say they dont or wont watch tv are as stupid as those who say they dont or wont read books'

TV and books are different on so many levels I do not know where to start. When you read a book, your MIND has to build the picture. TV does all the work for you--all you do is absorb something that someone else wants to feed you, exactly as they want you to see it, hear it, interact with it.

Do you NOT watch tv?
Why not?

What is bad about T.V?
What is good about T.V?
What are the benefits or drawbacks of a computer based entertainment rather than a televisual one?

Hmm .. I have a TV and about 11 stations that I get free with my internet connection. I watch something on it two or three times a year. (Usually it's a Stanley Cup hockey game or a PBS special.) I don't watch it because it doesn't really interest me. Despite this fact, when I have watched TV (many years ago), I cannot stop. That is what is bad about it for me. I don't have control. I certainly don't think it's bad for everyone.

Good things about TV -- movies! I like movies, because the story starts and ends, and I make a conscious choice ahead of time.

Hmm .. you bring up a good point about computer based entertainment. The only thing I can think that makes the computer better for me is that I interact with it. In other words, on some level I am engaging my brain because it is not just a "passive" act like watching TV.

On another (related) note, video games are from the devil, but I play them anyway.:whistling:

Cheers!

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:51 pm
@sometime sun,
Electricity (17 characters)

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 06:54 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;157334 wrote:
TV and books are different on so many levels I do not know where to start. When you read a book, your MIND has to build the picture. TV does all the work for you--all you do is absorb something that someone else wants to feed you, exactly as they want you to see it, hear it, interact with it.

Hmm .. I have a TV and about 11 stations that I get free with my internet connection. I watch something on it two or three times a year. (Usually it's a Stanley Cup hockey game or a PBS special.) I don't watch it because it doesn't really interest me. Despite this fact, when I have watched TV (many years ago), I cannot stop. That is what is bad about it for me. I don't have control. I certainly don't think it's bad for everyone.

Good things about TV -- movies! I like movies, because the story starts and ends, and I make a conscious choice ahead of time.

Hmm .. you bring up a good point about computer based entertainment. The only thing I can think that makes the computer better for me is that I interact with it. In other words, on some level I am engaging my brain because it is not just a "passive" act like watching TV.

On another (related) note, video games are from the devil, but I play them anyway.:whistling:

Cheers!

Dont forget to check out our 'Film Appreciation Society' while you are here, perhaps you could pick the next movie.

Never been a fan of computer games apart from tetris and the like.
I would much rather have a game of Go or Chess.Smile

Which is our biggest tool?
I truly believe that the televison is more widely used than the www which by sheer numbers make sit more important.
We need to make better tv so as to educte the masses instead of just taming them.
But then again more people find it hard to learn and remain placated.
Perhaps we need to calm the masses?
No really, perhaps without this hypnosis we would be in real danger.
Like i said make better tv and we might get a better human.
The www means having to make continuous choices and inspections and programes.
TV just lets you sit back and be available.

People are easily scared which is why tv is so predicatable, it is the worlds comfort blanket.

Star Trek rocks

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:04 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;157340 wrote:
Dont forget to check out our 'Film Appreciation Society' while you are here, perhaps you could pick the next movie.

I truly believe that the televison is more widely used than the www which by sheer numbers make sit more important.
We need to make better tv so as to educte the masses instead of just taming them.

People are easily scared which is why tv is so predicatable, it is the worlds comfort blanket.

Star Trek rocks

So Ya; WhO created this script ? Triffids by...W

onetwopi

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:23 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;157340 wrote:

Star Trek rocks

1. I will check out the film appreciation society! Didn't know that was here :cool:
2. I LOVE chess!
3. Doesn't television just reflect what society is/wants? Ratings certainly drive programming.
4. I like to believe that people making choices (even if they make bad choices) is better than people not having a choice --- FREEDOM!
5. Why do I feel the compulsive need to number things?
6. My dad hates sci-fi so I didn't see Star Wars/Star Trek/Airwolf/etc. growing up. I am just now realizing that I'm a huge fan of all of it Smile I got Star Trek (original) season 1 for christmas this year.

Cheers!

sometime sun

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:36 pm
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;157351 wrote:
1. I will check out the film appreciation society! Didn't know that was here :cool:
2. I LOVE chess!
3. Doesn't television just reflect what society is/wants? Ratings certainly drive programming.
4. I like to believe that people making choices (even if they make bad choices) is better than people not having a choice --- FREEDOM!
5. Why do I feel the compulsive need to number things?
6. My dad hates sci-fi so I didn't see Star Wars/Star Trek/Airwolf/etc. growing up. I am just now realizing that I'm a huge fan of all of it Smile I got Star Trek (original) season 1 for christmas this year.

Cheers!

1. join and pick the next film, it could be one you've seen or one we could both watch anew together.
2. Yes at some point i may have to try and encourage the forum to inlay a programe so memebers can play chess.
3. Yes but does,'nt society need programing and defragmenting and reiterating? Dont we need constanly to be reminded of who or what we are to keep on having faith we are what or who we claim we are?
Dont we need the comentary?
Where would we be without a constant reminder?
4 what if the addiction to tv is a choice?
What if to be an adict is actually a choce not the cop out genetic disposition?
5. Everyone needs a compulsion?
6. Leave Deep Space Nine till last.

My dad is the source of all my sci fi sensibilities.
Nothing would make me feel like a family except when we sat down and watched a film or programe together.
T.V strengthens the family unit?

Voyager rocks.
Seven of Nine is sooooo coooool.
It may not be the most expansive or well acted of the series but Voyager is my favourite.

mister kitten

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 07:48 pm
@sometime sun,
I am rephrasing someone i met the other other day.

I noticed a shift in my behaviour recently having just cut down my shows from 3 to 1 a week.
It is mainly because i am here or on the computer more but was wondering at this behaviour,
there was a time in my life where T.V was nearly my entire world, watching and rewatching the same programes over and again.
But now NOT.
I cant stand to watch the same programe more than once unless it is one of my shows and even then i just put the re-run on in the back ground.

Do you NOT watch tv?
Why not?

What is bad about T.V?
What is good about T.V?
Words of Serj Tankian: "Turn off your T.V."
and OTEP: "Smash the control machine."

Unplug...go outside...the weather is always nice.

Back when I wasn't all that self-aware I used to watch TV a lot.
Now I do not watch it at all. I overhear it (there's a TV in almost every room in my house) and maybe it's the channels, but I don't see anything positive about it.

What is T.V.?
Killer of conscious? Ignorance box? OR Blissfulness box? Killer of discontent?
What would happen if TVs everywhere stopped working?
Is this one of our more uglier parts of culture?
Are the ones who have no knowledge of TV better off?

Soul Brother

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 08:21 pm
@sometime sun,
even educate them?

It is needed to turn a free willed, free thinking human being into a citizen, or in other words a battery for the machine.

onetwopi

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 09:59 pm
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;157365 wrote:
It is needed to turn a free willed, free thinking human being into a citizen, or in other words a battery for the machine.

I would be interested in hearing you expand on this idea as I think that a citizen should certainly be a free thinker.

And I think your point could be carried to other media. People like Rush Limbaugh can manage to get a willing public to buy into his ideas without any thought on their own (for the most part).

Cheers!

Soul Brother

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 03:04 am
@onetwopi,
onetwopi;157382 wrote:

I would be interested in hearing you expand on this idea as I think that a citizen should certainly be a free thinker.

And I think your point could be carried to other media. People like Rush Limbaugh can manage to get a willing public to buy into his ideas without any thought on their own (for the most part).

Cheers!

Have patience friend, I shall post a thread on the subject soon enough.

wayne

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 04:19 am
@Soul Brother,
Soul Brother;157365 wrote:
even educate them?

I believe it's our choice to succumb to the hypnosis or not.
There are many good programs on tv.
Watch with descernment and moderation.
PBS is great. Does anyone watch Charlie Rose?
I watch some movies for entertainment, have to be good one's with some substance. Stupid entertainment types boor me.
Be a skeptic. Cable news is ridiculous, whatever happened to Walter Cronkite.
Anthony Bourdain is straight-up real.
Movies are best on dvd, I can be in control.
My television is owned by ME , as is my pc.
I watch cable news sometimes to laugh at the idiots that think they are fooling me. Do they really think I can't see the spin if they call it no spin?
I like to fool them and leave it on while I'm gone fishing.

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2010 07:30 am
@wayne,
No tellie anymore ?

Soooo....

onetwopi

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2010 11:43 pm
@sometime sun,
sometime sun;157355 wrote:
Yes but does,'nt society need programing and defragmenting and reiterating? Dont we need constanly to be reminded of who or what we are to keep on having faith we are what or who we claim we are?
Dont we need the comentary?
Where would we be without a constant reminder?

Maybe the problem is that we are reminded of who Hollywood is, what they consider the "norm". I think with TV we are more likely to feel compelled to be something we are not.

---------- Post added 04-29-2010 at 09:44 PM ----------

wayne;157475 wrote:

I watch cable news sometimes to laugh at the idiots that think they are fooling me. Do they really think I can't see the spin if they call it no spin?
I like to fool them and leave it on while I'm gone fishing.

:bigsmile:

Those guys drive me batty. I think the best cable news might come from John Stewart. :eek:

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » No T.V for you.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:53:20