What are your favorite hobbies to keep you active?

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What are your favorite hobbies to keep you active?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

richrf
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:46 pm
Hi all,

I decided to put this under Philosophy of Health because I think that having hobbies, exercising your body, your mind, your spirit is probably the healthiest thing that one can do. In other words, keep everything moving.

I have had lots of hobbies in my life. My current favorites include dancing (Salsa, Swing, Samba), Tai Chi, yoga, tennis, table tennis, basketball, walking, biking, reading, conversation with friends, and watching reality TV.

Some of these things I have been doing for a long time, but dancing is a more recent hobby. I use to love doing my own photo development in the old time dark rooms, and at one time I was doing a bit of astronomy, but that was much tougher than I thought it would be.

So, what are your favorite hobbies? How do you keep yourself active?

Rich
 
Didymos Thomas
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 12:52 pm
@richrf,
I play music, drums, and I read.
 
richrf
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 01:23 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;89858 wrote:
I play music, drums, and I read.


Hi,

I played the accordion when I was young. It was popular because of the Lawrence Welk show. Nowadays I play piano once in a while. When winter comes, I hope to play more.

Thanks for sharing your hobbies with me.

Rich
 
Didymos Thomas
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 02:17 pm
@richrf,
Yeah.

Playing the drums is a great way to keep active - it is a physical instrument, demanding coordination and good posture. Upper body strength and stamina is absolutely necessary, including immense control.

And besides being good for you, it's great fun - there's nothing like being on stage. Bouncers pulling women off your lap, people dancing to your groove. Can't beat it.
 
Dave Allen
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 02:40 pm
@richrf,
I play the sitar, mandolin and hurdy-gurdy.

Though they don't get you fit like drumming.
 
Pangloss
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 03:25 pm
@richrf,
I play ice hockey (just non-check leagues at this point), lift weights, bike ride, walk my dog. Also play the piano a bit.

I love watersports, especially kiteboarding...here's a video if you've never heard of it: YouTube - Grosse Luft v.05 trailer2.mov

It's a completely exhilarating and freeing activity. Problem is that I don't live near the water...
 
PoeticVisionary
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 03:57 pm
@richrf,
Playing with my children, biking, training for the Scottish Highland Games, liftting stones and I wind down with reading.
 
richrf
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 04:27 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;89867 wrote:
Yeah.

Playing the drums is a great way to keep active - it is a physical instrument, demanding coordination and good posture. Upper body strength and stamina is absolutely necessary, including immense control.

And besides being good for you, it's great fun - there's nothing like being on stage. Bouncers pulling women off your lap, people dancing to your groove. Can't beat it.


Hi,

I remember once trying to learn to play the djembe, the African folk drum. It was UNBELIEVABLY difficult to keep rhythm while everyone is doing their own thing. I wish I had figured out how to do it. Maybe another time - or another life. Anyway, I got a real appreciation for the enormous amount of inner feeling that a drummer has to have. If drumming doesn't convince someone about the inner soul, nothing will

Thanks for sharing with me.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-12-2009 at 05:30 PM ----------

Dave Allen;89870 wrote:
I play the sitar, mandolin and hurdy-gurdy.

Though they don't get you fit like drumming.


Never tried any of these instruments. I had a brief interlude with guitar. Another instrument that I was in awe of. Never realized how difficult it was to find the right combination of fingers and movements - on top of everything else! Definitely keeps the mind active.

I imagine that the sitar must even be more difficult. If only the darn strings didn't hurt my fingers so much. And I don't want to get callouses. Hmmmm .. well, back to the piano.

Someone once told me that all conductors die old. It must be something about the music.

Thanks much for sharing your hobbies with me.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-12-2009 at 05:35 PM ----------

Pangloss;89875 wrote:
I play ice hockey (just non-check leagues at this point), lift weights, bike ride, walk my dog. Also play the piano a bit.

I love watersports, especially kiteboarding...here's a video if you've never heard of it:

It's a completely exhilarating and freeing activity. Problem is that I don't live near the water...


Really active stuff.

My girlfriend would probably love to go kiteboarding. She loves that kind of stuff. Unfortunately, for her, I can't even stand going on ski lifts! (Acrophobia bad). I also never learned to ice skate. I once went to a nearby rink and asked an instructor if she could teach me. She looked at me and asked if I ever skated. No! Did I ever roller skate? No! Did I ever ski? Are you kidding! She said if I liked walking around without crutches, that I should keep off the ice. So back to tennis for me.

Anyway, it sounds like you have lots of great fun. I'll show the clip to my girlfriend. I hope she doesn't start whining about wanting to do it.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-12-2009 at 05:39 PM ----------

PoeticVisionary;89876 wrote:
Playing with my children, biking, training for the Scottish Highland Games, liftting stones and I wind down with reading.


Hi,

My kid just left for China. Mixed feelings. I miss him, but I am glad he is figuring out life.

Training for Highland Games? Sounds great. Is that what the stone lifting is all about? So many things that people do. Well, I don't think this is something I will do in this life time, but maybe next. See you at the games Laddie!

Rich
 
Aedes
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 05:01 pm
@richrf,
I'm very into hiking and kayaking, but these days I mainly carry around a 27 pound toddler and I go to the gym.
 
Holiday20310401
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 05:43 pm
@Aedes,
I play street hockey, badminton, golf a couple times a year, read, write, and go for walks.
 
Pangloss
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 05:47 pm
@richrf,
richrf;89879 wrote:

My girlfriend would probably love to go kiteboarding. She loves that kind of stuff.


Cool, let me know if you have any questions about it, or on how to get started...if she likes adrenaline type sports and the water, then I'm sure she would enjoy it.
 
richrf
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 05:51 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes;89891 wrote:
I'm very into hiking and kayaking, but these days I mainly carry around a 27 pound toddler and I go to the gym.


I remember David growing up. It was mostly taking care of him - at least until he learned how to poop on his own. Freedom day!

Kayaking sounds like lots of fun. Another thing for the next lifetime. First I have to learn to swim well.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

---------- Post added 09-12-2009 at 06:54 PM ----------

Holiday20310401;89905 wrote:
I play street hockey, badminton, golf a couple times a year, read, write, and go for walks.


I only go to the driving range. The golf course drives me crazy. Has to be the toughest sport I ever tried. Archery the most dangerous. The golf range exacts enough frustration out of me.

Loved badminton when I was growing up. But it isn't too popular here in the states. Beach volleyball is the thing to do but too active for me nowadays. I'm happy hitting the tennis ball.

Walking I do all year round. Usually a few miles a day. Cya,

Rich

---------- Post added 09-12-2009 at 06:55 PM ----------

Pangloss;89906 wrote:
Cool, let me know if you have any questions about it, or on how to get started...if she likes adrenaline type sports and the water, then I'm sure she would enjoy it.


Yep, I mentioned it to her. I think she did it when she was younger. Luckily she didn't ask if I wanted to do it. Not for me for sure.

Enjoy!

Rich
 
RDanneskjld
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 06:02 pm
@richrf,
I play Football (Soccer to the Americans), go Boxing from time to time, used to play Cricket at county level and I go dancing whenever a good looking girl asks me.
 
richrf
 
Reply Sat 12 Sep, 2009 06:27 pm
@RDanneskjld,
R.Danneskjöld;89915 wrote:
I play Football (Soccer to the Americans), go Boxing from time to time, used to play Cricket at county level and I go dancing whenever a good looking girl asks me.


OK! The good looking girl thing I can definitely relate to.

I don't play soccer. The Europeans and Latin Americans that play the game here in the States are waaayyyy to good for me. But I have a friend from Argentina who is totally bananas about it. It records four TV channels and watches very game he can. I hope he gets some sunlight sometime. I have another friend from the Czech Republic who also loves the game. Now, once I made some sort of joke while watching Brazil whip Argentina in some tournament, and this guy who I was with didn't quite see the humor. He never talked to me again. But, I love the World Cup games. I always root for the underdogs who never win. Particularly the exciting teams from Africa and the Caribbean Isles.

I could never figure out Cricket. I guess it is like a long soap opera. I had a friend from Jamaica who loved it. I find baseball a little to slow, so you can imagine.

Boxing is something I always wanted to do. I felt I could do the Mohammed Ali thing - for about one minute.

Thanks for sharing your hobbies. Maybe I'll practice some boxing with my girlfriend tonight. I hope she doesn't knock me out.

Rich
 
Serena phil
 
Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 02:20 am
@richrf,
I'd say my job keeps me most active because it involves a lot of walking, but I probably would not consider it a hobby. But I play the piano, do a lot of reading and painting/drawing.
 
richrf
 
Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2009 06:57 am
@Serena phil,
Serena;89954 wrote:
I'd say my job keeps me most active because it involves a lot of walking, but I probably would not consider it a hobby. But I play the piano, do a lot of reading and painting/drawing.


Yes, I too play piano now and then. It is very relaxing for me and at times very challenging. I tried painting/drawing at one time. That was very challenging. I enjoy watching other artists paint as I try to figure out how they do it?!

Thanks for sharing Serena.

Rich
 
chad3006
 
Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 10:31 am
@richrf,
I've always had more hobbies than time.
I play guitar. I make guitars (mostly electric). I used to do sitar repairs for an importer of high end sitars. It was mostly finish repairs after being shipped, but I got to do some jiwari work (long story). I became pretty familiar with Indian and Middle Eastern instruments.

My latest hobby I'm trying is, farming wheat. I'm trying to re-establish some ancient landrace varieties. These varieties are currently free of patents/licenses, so I can sell these seeds without having to pay Monsanto (or similar) any royalties, etc. It's just one way I can stick it to the man and have fun at the same time.
 
richrf
 
Reply Mon 14 Sep, 2009 12:30 pm
@chad3006,
chad3006;90137 wrote:
My latest hobby I'm trying is, farming wheat. I'm trying to re-establish some ancient landrace varieties. These varieties are currently free of patents/licenses, so I can sell these seeds without having to pay Monsanto (or similar) any royalties, etc. It's just one way I can stick it to the man and have fun at the same time.


This sounds like lots of fun. Good luck!!

Rich
 
Subjectivity9
 
Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 10:02 am
@richrf,
 
richrf
 
Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 10:41 am
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;92432 wrote:
Hi Rich,

I live on what some call a 'Hobby Farm,' (I think this is because we a not dependent upon the farm in any way). I grow about 1/2of my food in this way.


Hi Subjectivity9,

I think that observing life grow, observing one's own life, is a great way of experiencing life.

It sounds like you have a lot of things going, very similar to the way I lead my life. I live in the city, so I do not get much of a chance to observe farm life as you do, but I do get to grow things. My plants, e.g. my orchids, just keep blooming, and blooming, and blooming. I love it!

Thanks for sharing your hobbies with me.

Rich
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » What are your favorite hobbies to keep you active?
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 08/12/2022 at 08:42:47