What are your favorite hobbies to keep you active?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 12:58 pm
@richrf,
When I have time for hobbies, I teach Judo, learn Jiu Jutsu, woodcarve, swim, read, and write write write.

richrf

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:29 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;92478 wrote:
When I have time for hobbies, I teach Judo, learn Jiu Jutsu, woodcarve, swim, read, and write write write.

Sounds like some great ways to keep oneself active. I was thinking about taking about Judo at one time, but decided that Taiji was probably all that I would be able to practice in this lifetime.

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

Subjectivity9

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 03:50 pm
@richrf,
Hi back at ya, Rich,

Yes observing life growing, life struggling, and life die certainly gives us perspective, perhaps an overview. Nature reminds man that he isn’t so very different, not isolated.

I lived in the city for many, many years. But I must confess that my heart always longed to be more surrounded in nature.

Thoreau said, “We have more in common with the trees than we do each other.”

I don’t know about that but, the trees are certainly good company and very relaxing. They speak directly to my heart. It is a love affair.

Orchid growing, how nice for you. Anyone who doesn’t believe in miracles probably hasn’t spent time with an orchid. :-}

Thank you as well. You are a very sharing person

Subjectivity9

---------- Post added 09-21-2009 at 06:03 PM ----------

Hi GoshisDead,

I love to swim too. I grew up in a beach town in Massachusetts and just loved the salt water and waves. Living somewhat landlocked here in TN, I certainly miss the water and esp. the waves.

I tried wood carving once, thought it would be great to create statues of Buddha and large animals like elephants for my garden. I think where I went wrong was my tool were not sharp enough, because I tried to cut the wood and the wood won. I should get back to that.

I also am an avid reader. My little library in town may run out of books for me one fine day. But I always have Google.

You are an excellent writer with a keen mind. Do you one day hope to publish?

Subjectivity9

GoshisDead

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 04:21 pm
@Subjectivity9,
S9
I mostly write academic/linguistic/antropological stuff under contract for various North American Tribal Entities. A lot of the stuff is contractually obligated not to be disseminated as it pertains to either internally sacred or internally political subject matter. So no, publication hasn't ever really been a goal of mine. I write pretty much to be able to research which is the fun part. I've recently got the bug to try fiction, although I probably will not have a knack for it. The last couple years economy/poor grant funding etc... has given me the time to do so. I figure what the heck, I can join the millions of talentless hacks out there.

richrf

Reply Mon 21 Sep, 2009 05:36 pm
@Subjectivity9,
Subjectivity9;92527 wrote:
I lived in the city for many, many years. But I must confess that my heart always longed to be more surrounded in nature.

Thoreau said, "We have more in common with the trees than we do each other."

I don't know about that but, the trees are certainly good company and very relaxing. They speak directly to my heart. It is a love affair.

Some people belong with the trees. Sometimes I do Qigong among the trees. It is very healthy. Thanks there Subjectivity9.

Rich

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:56:37