What separates humans from apes?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

xris

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:17 am
@Fido,
So the 2% difference from one human to another is not the same type of difference we see in humans and apes? If humans where completely isolated from each other would there come a time when they could be considered two different species, unable to interbreed, like neaderthals and humans.

parker pyne

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 03:21 am
@Alan McDougall,
Less hair, with the exception of my dad.

Fido

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 05:55 am
@xris,
xris;73924 wrote:
So the 2% difference from one human to another is not the same type of difference we see in humans and apes? If humans where completely isolated from each other would there come a time when they could be considered two different species, unable to interbreed, like neaderthals and humans.

I don't think there is anything approaching a two percent difference genetically between people... We are identical, in many respects because we have been able to control our behavior to keep incest from destoying us...We can breed with any group throughout the world that wants to... We can share blood and blood products with people near and far...Our differences are slight even if science and appearance can make our differences seem great...In this sense, our differences from each other seem relatively greater than our differences considered as a whole...

xris

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 06:43 am
@Fido,
Fido;73945 wrote:
I don't think there is anything approaching a two percent difference genetically between people... We are identical, in many respects because we have been able to control our behavior to keep incest from destoying us...We can breed with any group throughout the world that wants to... We can share blood and blood products with people near and far...Our differences are slight even if science and appearance can make our differences seem great...In this sense, our differences from each other seem relatively greater than our differences considered as a whole...
I will have to find the link i read the other day,it made the claim that recent studies showed a 5% difference between us and apes and up to 2% difference between various humans.It did not say what humans or where they lived.Since then ive ben told these claims do not mean a great deal.:perplexed:We can all see the difference between us and apes so how is it described in gene theory and how does that description differ in respect to human differences.
Those with the blue eye gene, does that make up part of the difference?

Aedes

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 07:14 am
@Alan McDougall,
It's well under 1% between humans. With chimpanzees we have like 97-99% homology.

Remember that we have around 100,000 functional genes, and they have thousands of base pairs each. In other words, there are billions of base pairs that can have mutations. 1% of a billion is still 10 million, so let's not understate how big a difference 1% can be.

xris

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 07:44 am
@Aedes,
Aedes;73959 wrote:
It's well under 1% between humans. With chimpanzees we have like 97-99% homology.

Remember that we have around 100,000 functional genes, and they have thousands of base pairs each. In other words, there are billions of base pairs that can have mutations. 1% of a billion is still 10 million, so let's not understate how big a difference 1% can be.
Thanks but im certain i read 5% and 2% but then you cant believe all you read.So blue eyes would that be just one gene in a million?

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:03 am
@xris,
xris;73924 wrote:

Yes xris what about the Neanderthal man were they human, they had a larger brain that we supposedly real humans Homo Sapient

Aedes

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:04 am
@Alan McDougall,
There are something like 5 or 6 genes involved in eye color, but the differences in color can be produced by single polymorphisms (i.e. a mutation of only one base pair). The human genome (accounting for both copies of each gene) is about 6 billion base pairs. So you can see how a noticeable difference can be produced by a genetic change in just 1 out of 6 billion (WAAAAAY under 1%).

Some famous diseases are produced by single mutations -- cystic fibrosis, sickle cell disease, phenylketonuria, etc.

xris

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:50 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;73976 wrote:
Yes xris what about the Neanderthal man were they human, they had a larger brain that we supposedly real humans Homo Sapient
I never knew they had a bigger brain than our ancestors, there is no gene record of us interbreeding with them so they must have been a distinct species to us.I do believe they where just carnivores and unable to sustain themselves on vegetation.

Aedes

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 08:58 am
@Alan McDougall,
There's some controversy over that -- and there is some genetic evidence of interbreeding.

Neanderthal interaction with Cro-Magnons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fido

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:29 pm
@xris,
xris;73992 wrote:
I never knew they had a bigger brain than our ancestors, there is no gene record of us interbreeding with them so they must have been a distinct species to us.I do believe they where just carnivores and unable to sustain themselves on vegetation.

They were not all bad...They taught us to fish... I think we were simply better communicators...We were like the Jews, and they were like the Arabs...

xris

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 02:39 pm
@Fido,
Fido;74064 wrote:
They were not all bad...They taught us to fish... I think we were simply better communicators...We were like the Jews, and they were like the Arabs...
Are you saying the Arabs cant communicate but can catch fish,bit racist.:sarcastic:

Fido

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 10:41 pm
@xris,
xris;74070 wrote:
Are you saying the Arabs cant communicate but can catch fish,bit racist.:sarcastic:

One thing they can tell is that before our contact with quasi modo, we did not have fish in our diets... Jews are very direct in their communication, at least in comparison to the Arabs who once owned Israel... They always considered it theirs, and while the Arabs were divided, and let themselves be divided, the Jews put aside all differences and organized for a single purpose...I have seen one of their jokes against the Arabs...They say Arabs do not use their heads...It is possible Arabs do not use their mouths, specifically, as they should, to put aside differences and unite...

Elmud

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 03:51 pm
@Alan McDougall,
lots of hair.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Fido

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 06:54 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;74390 wrote:
lots of hair.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

We have as much hair, but not so thick, or should I say, course...

Neil D

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 07:38 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;61323 wrote:
The smartest ape the chimp is much smarter than the least intelligent human.

And probably also a dolphin is much smarter than the least intelligent human, and maybe a number of other animals.
A dolphin may even be smarter than a chimp, but its harder to tell because they are more limited physically and environmentally. Also I think the person would have to be borderline retarded to be intellectually inferior to a any chimp.

Alan McDougall;61323 wrote:
Can you come up with more after all we humans are created in the image and likeness of God and apes are not or are they?

No offense, but this sounds arrogant. I dont hink of god that way, and I may be alone here, but I think of god more as a kind of field, a godfield, that permeates the entire Bulk(the universe and everything outside it). It exists everywhere, and has always existed. Maybe something analogous to Diracs Quantum Electrodynamic field, or Einsteins Unifield field, although the Unified field, if it existed, was broken down into the four fundamentals. But thats my general idea of what god is. Oh yeah, and also the Higgs boson may have something to do with god, but dont know a whole lot about that either.

A little off topic, sorry.

Fido

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:15 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Hey Al... We were made in the image and likeness of God all right, and apes were made in the image and likeness of us... Does that make you feel like you need a new mirror??? Just break the old one..

Aedes

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 08:18 pm
@Alan McDougall,
It's not clear that being created in God's image means that we bear physical and biological likeliness to him, or rather spiritual and moral. There's been debate about this for centuries, and it's probably only in response to evolutionary science that the notion has become more concrete and physical.

Image of God - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2009 10:06 pm
@Fido,
Fido;74424 wrote:
Hey Al... We were made in the image and likeness of God all right, and apes were made in the image and likeness of us... Does that make you feel like you need a new mirror??? Just break the old one..

Finite mental image not physical , like the Mormon god who procreates and has genitals etc like us. This god had sexual intercourse with Mary and Jesus was the offspring

Do I need to say anything further?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:07:15