Vegetarianism is a Higher level View

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:43 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:

Deer CAN adapt -- that's why they DO flourish, including living in New York City.

I meant in the ability to develop vaccines and cures. Genetics takes too long when battling human efforts.

Aedes wrote:
Deer aren't the problem with Lyme disease. The disease is caused by a spirochete (a kind of bacterium) Borrelia burgdorferi, it's spread to humans by the tick Ixodes scapularis, and part of the bacteria's life cycle takes place in the white footed mouse, Peromyscus leucopus.

All these things are alive. Is our obligation to the bacterium the same as it is to the deer? Is our obligation to the tick the same as it is to the mouse and the deer? If you had to put a rank order of our custodial priorities, most humans would put humans first, then deer, then mice, then ticks, then bacteria. How would you do it?

Yes, my knowledge fails here. But no the obligations are not the same. It's just a matter of the ratio between awareness and conscience. That's all we're capable of.

Aedes

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 10:52 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;50318 wrote:
no the obligations are not the same. It's just a matter of the ratio between awareness and conscience. That's all we're capable of.
Agreed. But control of deer populations has been an effort advocated by some to limit disease associated with deer ticks. Deer hunting has been permitted in some places partly with this in mind.

Now, in New Zealand, a place I spent a semester of college, deer were introduced within the last ~200 years. They're now a threat to the existence of many of New Zealand's endangered native birds (many of which are flightless). Deer hunting has been encouraged there for the same reason.

Is there a moral difference between 1) hunting deer for food, 2) hunting deer for the sake of humans, and 3) hunting deer for the sake of kiwis and wekas and takahes?

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:03 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Now, in New Zealand, a place I spent a semester of college, deer were introduced within the last ~200 years. They're now a threat to the existence of many of New Zealand's endangered native birds (many of which are flightless). Deer hunting has been encouraged there for the same reason.

I have to be stubborn here and say that introducing the deer is a human hindrance, a disequilibrium if you will. Negative feedbacks are fine.:a-ok:

Aedes wrote:
Is there a moral difference between 1) hunting deer for food, 2) hunting deer for the sake of humans, and 3) hunting deer for the sake of kiwis and wekas and takahes?

There's no difference.

Aedes

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:06 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;50325 wrote:
I have to be stubborn here and say that introducing the deer is a human hindrance, a disequilibrium if you will.
There was a certain equilibrium established before the restitution of forests in southern New England. Sure, it wasn't the original habitat, but an equilibrium had developed over several hundred years. The new state of being IS a disequilibrium, of which deer tick-associated diseases are one consequence.

Quote:
There's no difference.
No moral difference? Shooting deer for sport and leaving the carcass to rot would be seen by most as morally different than shooting a deer for survival when it's attacking you, or shooting it for food when you live out in the woods.

Holiday20310401

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2009 11:16 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
There was a certain equilibrium established before the restitution of forests in southern New England. Sure, it wasn't the original habitat, but an equilibrium had developed over several hundred years. The new state of being IS a disequilibrium, of which deer tick-associated diseases are one consequence.

I meant the disequilibrium when the deer were brought over to New Zealand.

Aedes wrote:
No moral difference? Shooting deer for sport and leaving the carcass to rot would be seen by most as morally different than shooting a deer for survival when it's attacking you, or shooting it for food when you live out in the woods.

I thought we were talking about deer with the lyme disease. Surprised I won't be caught dead without indifference to such potential interactions with that.

Icon

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 07:51 am
@MJA,
So I have decided that I would give this thread my best effort and report my results. Today, I begin a meat free diet which includes chicken and fish. I will only eat vegies and fruit and eat specifically vegan or vegetarian foods. (Easy to do in my town... Lot's of vegie-hippies and I am not trying to insult vegetarians... I truly mean that most of them are hippies from the 60's)

I picked up some vitamins to keep up my mineral intake and to help the transition. I will give this 1 week. If I do not feel any sort of change then I will quit. If I do then I will make the determination whether I want to continue or not.

I will test this theory of yours.

MJA

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:24 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
So I have decided that I would give this thread my best effort and report my results. Today, I begin a meat free diet which includes chicken and fish. I will only eat vegies and fruit and eat specifically vegan or vegetarian foods. (Easy to do in my town... Lot's of vegie-hippies and I am not trying to insult vegetarians... I truly mean that most of them are hippies from the 60's)

I picked up some vitamins to keep up my mineral intake and to help the transition. I will give this 1 week. If I do not feel any sort of change then I will quit. If I do then I will make the determination whether I want to continue or not.

I will test this theory of yours.

Way to go Icon, it's truly the right Way to go.
One can only try and try and try...
And if you blow it, try try again.
Another humanitarian is born again today,
And another animal is saved.
Thanks,
=
MJA

Icon

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:40 pm
@MJA,
As I said, we will see. If this does not work for me than I will go back to eating meat. I am not trying to save an animal or even be a humanitarian. I am strictly researching the health benefits or detriment to this sort of life style.

In addition, I have visited a nutritionist and a dietition (sp?) in order to make sure I get the most out of this experience and that I do it correctly.

MJA

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:47 pm
@Icon,
The health of One is the health of All,
For All is truly One.
UFT., TOE..

=
MJA

manored

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:35 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Then a dead body rots it is the result of micro-life eating it Smile

For me who/what are alike us, our friends, and have to be protected and respected, and who/what are mere tools or fodder is a choice we must all make. All choices are fine by me, but this does not means I will not have to argue with people with different choices to get things done the way I believe they should. Personally, I consider only humans worth of special protection, and other animals are to be protected only if humans need or want to protect then. Maybe I will change my views then we met intelligent life or find ways of communicating with some of the animals we suspect to bne intelligent.

Icon

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:04 pm
@MJA,
So if eating animals is bad... Why do we have canine teeth used specifically for tearing meat?

MJA

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:13 pm
@Icon,
Evolution.

Now we can use them for tearing into an apple,
the prenatal food of a tree.

=
MJA

Zetherin

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:42 pm
@Icon,
Icon wrote:
So if eating animals is bad... Why do we have canine teeth used specifically for tearing meat?

Because we're omnivores, and we're supposed to devour a nice ribeye time to time Smile

Or a butter-pecan crusted salmon steak, tuna sushimi, rack of lamb with a mint/sage dressing, montreal-rubbed london broil with a chipotle honey sauce, or some classic chicken saltimboca (with fresh proscuitto)...

Quote:
As I said, we will see. If this does not work for me than I will go back to eating meat. I am not trying to save an animal or even be a humanitarian. I am strictly researching the health benefits or detriment to this sort of life style.
If you're doing it strictly for health benefits, I don't think you will see many. Eating tons of fibrous carbohydrates may help your bowel movements, but you definitely won't see noticeable results in a week. I predict you'll be noticeably more hungry because of the lack of complete amino acid chains being digested (unless you're getting your protein sources elsewhere), but you will start a cleansing process. Depending on how much you consumed previously (protein-wise), it's beneficial to do a 'detoxification'. Consuming psyllium seed, other digestives, and large amounts of fibrous carbohydrates aid in this process -- which is practically what you're doing now.

I'd stay on it for at least two weeks. How you will *feel* will depend upon many factors, one of which is how your diet was before. If you were previously on a ketonic diet (where fats were your primary energy source), you may have trouble eliminating all fats from your diet so abruptly (I'm assuming you're just eating vegetables, perhaps omega 3 [fish oil, etc]?). There may be a transition period where your body starts utilizing all the carbohydrates again (I can only speak for myself, it wasn't that great). If you were on a normal diet (eating fair amounts of all three macronutrients, fat, protein, carb), I don't see how this would negatively affect you at all. Remember to eat eggs if you're on this diet. If you eliminate eggs, you've eliminated one of the greatest protein sources (97% biological value?) known to man. And, if you're only going to get your protein from soy, well, I wouldn't really recommend that. Depending on the soy product (it really depends), there may be incomplete amino acid chains (which means you can't utilize the protein as well for muscle repair, recovery, growth). Then again, the protein value on some meats can be just as bad - Mcdonald's, for example, uses grade D beef (or below), which is low on the biological value scale from what I know.

Can you post your diet, I'm interested...

Holiday20310401

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 06:17 pm
@manored,
manored wrote:
Then a dead body rots it is the result of micro-life eating it Smile

For me who/what are alike us, our friends, and have to be protected and respected, and who/what are mere tools or fodder is a choice we must all make. All choices are fine by me, but this does not means I will not have to argue with people with different choices to get things done the way I believe they should. Personally, I consider only humans worth of special protection, and other animals are to be protected only if humans need or want to protect then. Maybe I will change my views then we met intelligent life or find ways of communicating with some of the animals we suspect to bne intelligent.

Yes well, competition trumps this 'equality' aura I'm getting here.

Aedes

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 06:18 pm
@MJA,
Icon, our biological legacy may tell us what we biologically have done and what we biologically ought to do. But it certainly doesn't inform our moral imperative, i.e. what we morally ought to do.

It's a completely specious argument for vegetarians to argue that our ancestors didn't eat meat and therefore we shouldn't, and it's an equally specious argument for non-vegetarians to argue the opposite. It doesn't matter. How in god's name does that determine what we ought to do? People who are vegetarian can be perfectly well nourished if they eat wisely. Very few things in our diet ONLY come from animal sources. One bad one is cholesterol, one good one is vitamin B12. The thing is we have several years of vitamin B12 stored in our body and it correspondingly would take many years to become deficient in it.

Parenthetically, from what I understand our most distant ancestors were scavengers, i.e. they'd eat meat off of dead things and not hunt. Hunting came later.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 09:12 pm
@Aedes,
Icon wrote:

So, if killing is bad, why do we have these hands with which we can strangle another human being?

MJA

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 11:41 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I spoke to a small heard of cows some time ago, and told them I would try to help them, and do what I could. They understood me, and I understood them, and this thread is my effort for love and to help them, and for the good of All, for Just or Justice, for Equality.
I see All things equally and the cows could see that too, can you?
Justice is Equality, dontcha know!

=
MJA

Icon

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:08 am
@MJA,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
So, if killing is bad, why do we have these hands with which we can strangle another human being?

Hey... I use my hands for other things too.... But god thinks those things are naughty... Laughing

Aedes wrote:
Icon, our biological legacy may tell us what we biologically have done and what we biologically ought to do. But it certainly doesn't inform our moral imperative, i.e. what we morally ought to do.

It's a completely specious argument for vegetarians to argue that our ancestors didn't eat meat and therefore we shouldn't, and it's an equally specious argument for non-vegetarians to argue the opposite. It doesn't matter. How in god's name does that determine what we ought to do? People who are vegetarian can be perfectly well nourished if they eat wisely. Very few things in our diet ONLY come from animal sources. One bad one is cholesterol, one good one is vitamin B12. The thing is we have several years of vitamin B12 stored in our body and it correspondingly would take many years to become deficient in it.

Parenthetically, from what I understand our most distant ancestors were scavengers, i.e. they'd eat meat off of dead things and not hunt. Hunting came later.

My most distant ancestors were Irish... They didn't scavenge. They just boiled everything!

But thank you for the post. In all actuality, I was just pointing that out to see what MJA had to say. I knew that someone would come back with the whole evolution thing. To be honest, I was expecting something more along the lines of the single word "appendix" which would have completely broken my argument. Still, good effort.

MJA wrote:
I spoke to a small heard of cows some time ago, and told them I would try to help them, and do what I could. They understood me, and I understood them, and this thread is my effort for love and to help them, and for the good of All, for Just or Justice, for Equality.

=
MJA

I wish I could speak to cows :meuh: :EmoPackv7_004:

And finally to Zetherin:

Thank you for the nutritional information but I made sure to visit the appropriate physicians and get the appropriate suppliments BEFORE starting this whole thing so I know what to look for and I know that it will likely take longer than a week to feel the effects. As a matter of fact, 2 months, by my calculations, to see the full effects. I am going to try this for a week and see how it goes. If I am starting to feel ill or I notice unpleasant side effects, I will stop. Otherwise, I am going to continue as long as it keeps my interest to do so.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 08:35 am
@MJA,
MJA wrote:

=
MJA

Justice also breaks down outside of our little communicative species.

A cow knows nothing of justice and sees no equality.

MJA

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 09:20 am
@MJA,
Moo hoo hoo, can't you here them crying for equality?
I can, and can see it too.

=
MJA

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:15:44