The odd stone logic problem

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The odd stone logic problem

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 07:15 am
Hi,

Especially for XRIS who can reconcile every problem by logic I hope this problem had not already being tried by the forum ,if not it is an excellent test of deduction

Can you solve this problem?

There are 12 balls of exact volume and color 11 of equal weight/mass, 1 of minutely different unequal weight / mass(either heavier or lighter).

The difference is too small to feel by hand

Use 3 weighings on a balance scale to tell what stone has a different weight and if it is heavier or lighter.??

Scale libra type balance scale you are not allowed to use a bathroom type scale

xris

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:49 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Hi,

Especially for XRIS who can reconcile every problem by logic I hope this problem had not already being tried by the forum ,if not it is an excellent test of deduction

Can you solve this problem?

There are 12 balls of exact volume and color 11 of equal weight/mass, 1 of minutely different unequal weight / mass(either heavier or lighter).

The difference is too small to feel by hand

Use 3 weighings on a balance scale to tell what stone has a different weight and if it is heavier or lighter.??

Scale libra type balance scale you are not allowed to use a bathroom type scale
i can do it easy with four have to think about it.

xris

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:03 am
@xris,
I think i have it four each side..one side is heavier..change on the lighter side two of the balls for two of the balls not used..if still out of balance exchange one of the balls of the two balls left on the the side you have just changed with one on the other side. If it was anything else do virtualy the same thing.ie.four and four balanced..exchange two balls then it would be out of balance..exchange one for one of the four balls you have just put there.

Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 11:26 am
@xris,
XRIS,

Quote:

I think i have it four each side..one side is heavier..change on the lighter side two of the balls for two of the balls not used..if still out of balance exchange one of the balls of the two balls left on the the side you have just changed with one on the other side. If it was anything else do virtualy the same thing.ie.four and four balanced..exchange two balls then it would be out of balance..exchange one for one of the four balls you have just put there.

But XRIS if you compare four balls like you stated and they do not balance you don't know at this stage whether the upper pan contains the lighter odd ball or if the odd ball is heavier and in the lower pan

They odd ball might be heavier of it might be lighter , you don't know where it is

The solution must be fool proof (no pun intended)

xris

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:06 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
XRIS,

But XRIS if you compare four balls like you stated and they do not balance you don't know at this stage whether the upper pan contains the lighter odd ball or if the odd ball is heavier and in the lower pan

They odd ball might be heavier of it might be lighter , you don't know where it is

The solution must be fool proof (no pun intended)
Listen ..i have four balls one side and four the other now you decide if they are balanced or not balanced...the other four balls are waiting for your decision..

MJA

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 01:47 pm
@xris,
Solution!

If they have the same volumn then the one different ball can only be heavier.
Thusly

Measurement 1: Divide balls 6 X 6 and weigh.

Measurement 2: Divide Groupe of 6 heaviest balls into 3 X 3 and weigh.

Measurement 3: Weigh 2 of the remaning balls of the heavy group of three, if even the third ball is the heaviest. If uneven the solution is also known.

That took some valuable time to figure out,
Thanks!!!

=
MJA

xris

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 02:03 pm
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
Solution!

Thusly

Measurement 3: Weigh 2 of the remaning balls of the heavy group of three, if even the third ball is the heaviest. If uneven the solution is also known.

Thanks!!!

=
MJA
But one could be heavier or lighter..The other group could be the one thats lightest.

Zetherin

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:31 pm
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
Solution!

Thusly

Thanks!!!

=
MJA

Are you sure that only counts as 3 weighings? That seems like 6 to me. You'd have to take one of the 6's off and then weigh the other 6 (meaning two seperate weighings). Likewise, with the 3's and then the remaining 2. =6 weighings.

MJA

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 08:55 pm
@Zetherin,
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]1: Divide the circles evenly and weigh them.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]OOOOOO OOOOOO[/CENTER]
[CENTER]V[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]2. Divide the heaviest side again and weigh again.[/CENTER]
[CENTER]OOO OOO[/CENTER]
[CENTER]V[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]3. Weigh two of the circles, if even the third circle is the solution. [/CENTER]
[CENTER]If not, the solution is again known. [/CENTER]
[CENTER] O O [/CENTER]
[CENTER]V[/CENTER]
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]O[/CENTER]
[CENTER] [/CENTER]
[CENTER]=[/CENTER]
[CENTER]MJA[/CENTER][/CENTER]

Zetherin

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2009 09:18 pm
@MJA,
MJA wrote:
[CENTER][CENTER]1: Divide the circles evenly and weigh them.
OOOOOO OOOOOO
V
2. Divide the heaviest side again and weigh again.
OOO OOO
V
3. Weigh two of the circles, if even the third circle is the solution.
If not, the solution is again known.
O O
V
O
=
MJA[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

My fault, I didn't see that it was a balance scale, implying you can have two weighing at the same time.

Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:41 am
@Alan McDougall,
Respectfully guys you are all still wrong , this is not an easy problem , but it can be solved it the exact conditions given by me in the first post.

Give it to your friends you can have a little fun , when they say , "that is easy "and come back a year later saying "How the heck do you solve that puzzle?"

xris

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:08 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
My fault, I didn't see that it was a balance scale, implying you can have two weighing at the same time.
This is assuming the balls you are weighing are the ones that need seperating, what about if on your second weigh they balance ? it means you have a lighter one on the other six.

xris

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 05:44 am
@xris,
I do hope you are giving us the right clues cos its doing my head in..

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:30 am
@Alan McDougall,
OK

I give this tip reluctantly, it seems only you two guys are brave enough to try.

The only way you are going to get a fool proof solution is on your first weigh by weighing four balls against four

Effort 1 Must be

OOOO ----OOOO

and move on from there

xris

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 03:48 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
OK

I give this tip reluctantly, it seems only you two guys are brave enough to try.

The only way you are going to get a fool proof solution is on your first weigh by weighing four balls against four

Effort 1 Must be

OOOO ----OOOO

and move on from there
I said that and yo said i was going wrong.

xris

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 04:15 am
@xris,
Four each side and see if they balance if they balance the odd one is in the four left out .If they dont balance the odd one is in the eight being balanced. the four that where left we know can be used as a relative to the other eight.I think its amatter of more thought but you have to then use those four mixed in with the eight..you delayed me by telling me i was going wrong...Oh dear..

Alan McDougall

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 07:20 am
@Alan McDougall,
XRIS

Your present approach is correct

xris

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 09:38 am
@Alan McDougall,
call the balls 123456789 10 11 12..1to 4 on one side 5 to 8 on the other.If they balance the odd balls 9 10 11or 12 thats easy found but if they dont balance say 1234 is heavier put 1256 on one side then 9 10 11 and 12 on the otherside if still goes down heavy balls i either 1or 2. if 9 10 11 or 12 goes down 5 or 6 is the lighter ball.weighe either 1 against 12 or 5 or 6 against 12..is that it ?no its not is it.

Alan McDougall

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 06:33 am
@Alan McDougall,
But XRIS

You say

1234 How do you know if the odd ball is there and that it is heavier?, the odd ball might be lighter and in the upper pan?

I can see however, that you are a lateral thinker and have a logical deducting mind

It is really all about a process of elimination really

xris

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2009 06:40 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
But XRIS

You say

1234 How do you know if the odd ball is there and that it is heavier?, the odd ball might be lighter and in the upper pan?

I can see however, that you are a lateral thinker and have a logical deducting mind

It is really all about a process of elimination really
I know it was wrong as soon as i wrote it down..Ive tried 1256 on one side and 3478 on the other but im not there yet..

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » General Discussion
  3. » The odd stone logic problem
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:14:06