For Sale: Someone's Virginity?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:41 pm
@Khethil,
hey, I got a joke

This guy had a date with a nymphomaniac, and when he goes to pick her up she say's: There's something I have to tell you about my self...
And he said: Sure, go ahead.
And she said: I have this little psychological condition, and it makes me want to bring boys who take me out back to my apartment and have mad passionate sex with them.... And then she said to the guy: Do you know what this condition is called???
And he said: Wall sure; That's called GOOD NEWS!!!

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:43 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
hey, I got a joke

This guy had a date with a nymphomaniac, and when he goes to pick her up she say's: There's something I have to tell you about my self...
And he said: Sure, go ahead.
And she said: I have this little psychological condition, and it makes me want to bring boys who take me out back to my apartment and have mad passionate sex with them.... And then she said to the guy: Do you know what this condition is called???
And he said: Wall sure; That's called GOOD NEWS!!!

I have a joke.

This guy had a date with a necrophiliac, and when she comes to dig him up, she says...

Catchabula

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:44 pm
@Khethil,
Being prepared to give such an amount of money for just "that" is actually way more immoral, the needs of the world being so great. She should try the old hooker's trick: cash in and disappear into the rainforrest, virginity and all. Thus exposing him as an egoist as well as an idiot.

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:45 pm
@Catchabula,
Catchabula wrote:
Being prepared to give such an amount of money for just "that" is actually way more immoral, the needs of the world being so great. She should try the old hooker's trick: cash in and disappear into the rainforrest, virginity and all. Thus exposing him as an egoist as well as an idiot.

I think that the transaction shouldn't be able to be processed at all.

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:51 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian wrote:
I have a joke.

This guy had a date with a necrophiliac, and when she comes to dig him up, she says...

Don't be getting fresh with me or I'll slap your head off!!!

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:52 pm
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
Don't be getting fresh with me or I'll slap your head off!!!

I don't like necrophiliacs. They always fall for such dead-beats...

Laughing

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:55 pm
@Khethil,
Haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 06:57 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian wrote:
I think that the transaction shouldn't be able to be processed at all.

What makes you think it would...With that much money involved it would get the lawyers involved, and they are all deal killers...

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:05 pm
@Khethil,
Don't tell that to necrophiliacs! They might start trailing the lawyers for the deals they leave in their wake...

>.>

Fido

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:10 pm
@Khethil,
Wake????????????

Bonaventurian

Reply Sat 24 Jan, 2009 07:10 pm
@Khethil,
Yes. That's the word I wanted. >_>

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 01:00 am
@Khethil,
I am curious what is worse. The fact that someone has put up their virginity on sale on E-Bay, or this conversation about the potential sale. This story seems so tailor made for daytime talk shows...

If anyone is guilty in this scenario, it will be the individual that ends up buying this woman's virginity. Honestly, that just mean the person is only doing it for the attention (totally sad), or they have bad taste in prostitutes, considering for that money, they could visit the professional prostitutes in Amsterdam for a much better value. Not to mention, if you actually face God after death, you would look rather stupid buying someone's first time for millions of dollars.:drinking:

Khethil

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 07:08 am
@Theaetetus,
Wow, this has turned interesting.

For my part, I'd have to say: I don't think it's a good thing to sell one's virginity, but I wouldn't dare say she hasn't the 'right' to do so. That it's become so valuable, and that there are so many willing to pay for it feels somehow 'devaluing'. But this is my opinion, and she didn't ask...

It's hers; it's her body, and to my mind what she wants to do with it is her right (depending on its effects on others). If we collectively don't - by actions, words and deeds - allow that to do with our bodies what we want, what agency might we have at all ?

Virginity is a personal thing and only has any value that is placed on it by the individual concerned and the social construct in which they live. But our bodies; to me they are us (I'm not much of a dualist), our brains contain our consciousness and what's connected to them, together, form the self in a symbiotic, inextricably-linked relationship. Commodification runs amuck and many forms it has.

It's interesting, and telling; a subject with which to ponder ones' own feelings and values on the issue.

Thanks

TaraD

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:36 am
@Khethil,
wow you really can sell and buy anything .............maybe this is how I can pay for higher education ..........................
nah I'll just sell my liver on ebay instead

Catchabula

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 08:42 am
@Khethil,
Yes, the importance of this dawns to me too now! Just a first statement:

Putting any value to virginity is futile and only shows an perverted view on both sex and value. It is a remainder of an age where sex was something mystified, something utterly misrated and difficult to grasp. Sex is just sex and I hope you all have a jolly good time with it. But that's only secondary, even the relation of sex with our "other parts" is. The main question here being -again and again- the "underpinning" of values. Did she have the "right" to give value to something inherently without value? But that's of course "my view on value", just the personal me who thinks this has no value. The Australian went along with the game and gave value to this "nothing". Now it's so much money, one can do so many better things with it, or at least much more important things. Did she even had a right to (re)create her virginity as "valuable". Can value be "drained" at will, and isn't the sense of all ethics to distinghuish on some grounds between the valuable and the futile (awfully deep ground here)? Yes, she was acting immoral and it has not so much to do with sex. It has to do with blurring our view on morality; she was poisoning the moral view of mankind, or at least of those who were silly enough to go with her. Now that's a Salome of our age, using sex to have the head of the apostle! Please let's work on this, before the gold of Ft. Knox is given away for a bag of air. Let's join forces, before Beavis and Butthead are placed above the work of dr. Pablo. I guess this is just a more "objectivist" view than Khethil's. What are your thoughts??

Bonaventurian

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 03:24 pm
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
It's hers; it's her body.

There has only ever been One who could say that truthfully.

Luke 22:19 wrote:
This is my body...

He didn't stop, there, though. He goes on:

Same verse wrote:
...which is given for you.

There has only ever been One who could say that His body is His own, and lo, He gave that body up for us. Mind the scriptures, Khethil:

Gloss of 1 Corinthians 6:13 wrote:
...but the body is...for the Lord...

Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 25 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
@Catchabula,
Catchabula wrote:
I can only repeat myself that compared to the real evil in this world the size of her "sin" is infinitely small, if it even exists at all. Or let's call it the immoral aspect of her act. I'm not a Christian.

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one and say, what is evil in the act anyways?

If she's hot then the guy's going to get pleasure from it, and if he's hot then she's going to get pleasure from it. And morally... well.... the guy's already got the allocated money, he's just displacing it to another person, so nothing is taken away from society. Egoistically, we're animals; saying that it's sinful and what one not ought to do (immoral) is hypocritical.

Sex has a different value for different people. Are we wishing to justify it now by making some absolute paradigm? Absolutely not!

Dunkler Schatten

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 04:29 pm
@Khethil,
Its her body, who are we to judge whether she sells it or not? I certainly wouldn't sell my body, but that's me, not her.

Tange

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:12 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
That's really a pretty smart move by the girl. Yeah, its kinda weird but hey, it's smart. I'd sell my body for 3.8 million any day.. Maybe this is for publicity though but I see nothing wrong with it. If the girl is willing to sell sex to someone that is willing to pay for it what is the problem?

Didymos Thomas;44568 wrote:
if what she is doing is sinful, then she will answer for the sin as anyone answers for any sin. We are all sinners; we should recall that line about casting stones.

What do you define sin as?

Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 06:03 pm
@Tange,
Tange;81474 wrote:

What do you define sin as?

Anything that contributes to suffering, and/or is meant to contribute to suffering

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 10:15:21