The Falsity of Altruism

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

kennethamy

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 09:22 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
jgweed,Smile

Any action must have a will behind it, so, it matters not motivation, it may be foolish, confused and/or mistaken. It may be a compassionate act with its motivation to save another, but, it must have the will behind the action--so in this sense, it is selfish in that the action is fulfilling the individual will. One can never get away from self interest on this level, nor should there be any desire to try, it is only through compassion that a heart moves the will to act in this direction of self-sacrifice.

Aedes,Smile

If "every action has a will behind it" means anything, it means that every action is something I want to do. But that is not true. There are a number of actions which I don't want to do, and I am compelled to do in one way or another, perhaps by some threat if I don't do that action. Of course, That does not mean that I did not choose to do that action, even under dire threat, because the alternative was much worse, but that cannot, and does not, mean that because I chose to do it, that it was selfish. The word, "selfish" (in English) does not simply mean that what I did was something I chose to do. No one would use the word "selfish" as a synonym for choosing to to the action. The word "selfish" in English means an action that is done solely in the interest of the agent, and which invades on the what others who are affected by the action are entitled to have. In English, to say of an action that it is selfish is to make a moral judgment about that action; a negative moral judgment. Now, one can try to make the term. "selfish" morally neutral, but that is simply denuding it of its ordinary meaning. So, when that is done, calling an action "selfish" in the denuded sense does nothing at all to show that such an action is selfish is its ordinary sense. And, if that is true, what is the point changing the meaning of the word? It would be like calling someone a "fool", and then when it is pointed out that the person is very intelligent, and is well-thought of, and is eminent, the reply is that when I use the word "fool" I mean that I don't like what that person does. In that case, the term is used contrary to its ordinary meaning only to express the prejudices of the speaker. It is disingenuous to use a word, but change its meaning while continuing to retain its negative emotional connotations. In philosophy such a trick is called a "persuasive definition". It is a more or less subtle attempt to change people's attitudes by leading them to speak and think differently. You can google "persuasive definitions" to learn more about what is, essentially" a trick of propaganda.

Ruthless Logic

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:47 pm
@kennethamy,
On a different tangent that isn't settled, what "empirically measurable" difference is there between a synapse that begins a deliberative process and one that causes a muscle twitch? (Quote)

You are not serious, right? This entire thread is about a DELIBERATIVE PROCESS (sequential process of self-interest). If my thigh muscle begins to twitch and I have no control over initiation, duration, or frequency, this is empirically measurable by the lack of optionally directive commands (start, stop twitch on command) that evidentially reside in the wake of reality.

If I want to raise my right hand on command, well then this is clearly empirically measurable, by the evidential process of raising my right hand on command, which also resides in the wake of reality.

The difference between the voluntary and involuntary processes that explicitly require synapses, are clearly differentiated by the evidential processes (Hand moving on command, random muscle twitch) that are easily measurable within the wake of reality.

Joe

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:46 am
@Ruthless Logic,
is altruism looked upon as a good reflection of the human condition? Or is it looked upon as a complexity of consciousness, being that altruism is a characteristic that can or not be chosen by an individual?

To me the discussion about altruism a lot of the time seems like an exploration of consciousness and the link to what is physical. A subject I'm starting to become interested in.

I wonder how altruism applies to other species on this planet?

Jazzman phil

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 04:55 am
@Ruthless Logic,
I think the main thesis of this thread is wrong. It is tried to falsify altruism by refering to own rationality. But that's not correct: This kind of rationality is not the logic of every native part of human reality. Enlightment and liberalism force the people to adopt this logic to their private life. But it's not natural for people to act by strategic rationality in every context.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 06:56 am
@Ruthless Logic,
Ruthless Logic wrote:
this is empirically measurable by the lack of optionally directive commands (start, stop twitch on command) that evidentially reside in the wake of reality.

Yes, I am serious. How do we empirically test the "wake of reality" to determine that these commands are "optionally directive".

boagie

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 07:17 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr Fight the Power,Smile

I would think the same way you determine what to go to the doctor for, did I consciously direct this affliction to torment myself, or is it against my conscious wish/will. I have no idea why we are discussing this, do you deny that any conscious initiated action, [with the exception of course of convulsions not fitting the above catagory] require the will of the subject behind it? If there is a reasonable statement to be made indicating that a subject can consciously act without the function of the will and/or its intent behind it, then please state it.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:28 am
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Mr Fight the Power,Smile

I would think the same way you determine what to go to the doctor for, did I consciously direct this affliction to torment myself, or is it against my conscious wish/will. I have no idea why we are discussing this, do you deny that any conscious initiated action, [with the exception of course of convulsions not fitting the above catagory] require the will of the subject behind it? If there is a reasonable statement to be made indicating that a subject can consciously act without the function of the will and/or its intent behind it, then please state it.

As I said, all you are arguing are tautologies. I agree with them. I must.

What I am disputing is that we can empirically observe a difference between the firing of synapses that initiate unconscious actions and firing of synapses that initiate conscious actions.

If he wants to differentiate between optional and necessary, he must show how we can objectively observe the quality "optional". We can not observe "necessary" or "optional", it is just a matter of reason that we assume "necessary". No matter how many times we document the processes that bring about your actions, we will never find them to be optional. (From what I have read of your deterministic opinions, I would imagine you would agree with this)

Aedes

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 09:47 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;31608 wrote:
What I am disputing is that we can empirically observe a difference between the firing of synapses that initiate unconscious actions and firing of synapses that initiate conscious actions.
There's no reason to think that's not possible at an empiric level -- it's just a mere technical problem of science. In fact at an ultrastructural level it can be easily done using functional brain imaging.

But who cares? Whether or not it's possible, it doesn't solve the question being posed here.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:11 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
There's no reason to think that's not possible at an empiric level -- it's just a mere technical problem of science. In fact at an ultrastructural level it can be easily done using functional brain imaging.

But who cares? Whether or not it's possible, it doesn't solve the question being posed here.

The problem I foresee is defining what is conscious and what isn't. This is what I'm asking: What quality can we observe in the material processes of the brain that would denote consciousness? This is the hard question of neuroscience, and I don't think that anyone is positive that this can be solved.

Also do you also think that science can understand these physical processes in terms of optional or not optional?

Aedes

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:13 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;31632 wrote:
This is what I'm asking: What quality can we observe in the material processes of the brain that would denote consciousness? This is the hard question of neuroscience, and I don't think that anyone is positive that this can be solved.
Nah, it's not a hard question, except insofar as there are billions of neurons and some extrapolation is inevitable.

There are clearly voluntary and clearly involuntary actions. Like breathing, which you can consciously control, but can also happen with no conscious input, or coughing which can be an involuntary reflex or a conscious activity. Start with functional imaging and encephalograms and see how different regions behave differently during conscious versus unconscious initiation of this activity. The motor part of the activity will happen in the same place, but the executive function, reflex loops, etc will likely differ.

Next, we know which neurotransmitters are secreted in different small regions of the brain, we know how they're regulated (in terms of secretion, uptake and metabolism, postsynaptic binding, etc). There are ways of measuring neurotransmitter function in the context of different experimental conditions.

Finally, you can use inhibitors to block or knock out certain functions. So if I mildly sedate you, it's not going to abolish your coughing reflex if I spray you with an irritant gas. You're not going to be able to exert any conscious control over breathing, but you'll still breath. So we can take the "optional" issue away and demonstrate that the activity and its neurologic basis can still occur involuntarily.

Quote:
Also do you also think that science can understand these physical processes in terms of optional or not optional?
Yes. At least many of them. That doesn't mean that the current state of technology allows us to answer these questions to your satisfaction. But then again, all that means is that the problem is technical. It's a matter of understanding physiology. It's not a philosophical question in the sense that this is epistemologically unknowable.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:02 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
There are clearly voluntary and clearly involuntary actions. Like breathing, which you can consciously control, but can also happen with no conscious input, or coughing which can be an involuntary reflex or a conscious activity. Start with functional imaging and encephalograms and see how different regions behave differently during conscious versus unconscious initiation of this activity. The motor part of the activity will happen in the same place, but the executive function, reflex loops, etc will likely differ.

You are begging the question. Your test already assumes that we can identify which initiations of actions are conscious and which aren't.

To follow your test we "see how different regions behave differently during conscious versus unconscious initiation of this activity", but to do this we have to differentiate between conscious and unconscious mental behavior.

And this is what I'm asking, how do we differentiate between them?

The only manner I could imagine is asking the subject, "Are you conscious?" This is pointless because we cannot observe his consciousness.

Quote:
Yes. At least many of them. That doesn't mean that the current state of technology allows us to answer these questions to your satisfaction. But then again, all that means is that the problem is technical. It's a matter of understanding physiology. It's not a philosophical question in the sense that this is epistemologically unknowable.

Name one test that would show an event being optional. Can you point to one study where a neurologist pinpointed a mental event and stated that it was NOT necessitated by some other event? This is an assumption of science and human understanding in general, cause and effect.

Aedes

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 08:14 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;31653 wrote:
Your test already assumes that we can identify which initiations of actions are conscious and which aren't... Name one test that would show an event being optional. Can you point to one study where a neurologist pinpointed a mental event and stated that it was NOT necessitated by some other event?
What? We do this every day in clinical medicine when we assess a patient's sensorium. You don't have to be a neurologist, you can be a triage nurse in the ER or an EMT to figure this one out. If someone follows commands, it is a conscious action. If someone is grossly encephalopathic and unarousable, then any movements are NOT conscious. We are able to discriminate between real seizures and pseudoseizures, true wheezes and pseudowheezes, neuromuscular weakness and volitional / effort weakness easily and readily in most cases.

OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 03:58 am
@Ruthless Logic,
RuthlessLogic said:

"Clearly, the model of the Human Being and the Natural World reveals a creature and a process (self-interest) that are explicitly linked and NO AMOUNT of idealistic interpretation will ever uncouple the process and empirical truth of self-interest."

It seems to me that you're confusing free will for self-interest. Altruism is the purpose of an act; not the process.

The process of an altruistic act must be an act of free will. In choosing the exercise one's free will (in any capacity), one is choosing to act in accordance with one's one interests, in this case, the interest of being altruistic.

So yes, the mechanism of the action originates in self-interest, but that doesn't speak to the purpose of the act at all.

Ruthless Logic

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 12:11 pm
@OctoberMist,
OctoberMist wrote:
RuthlessLogic said:

"Clearly, the model of the Human Being and the Natural World reveals a creature and a process (self-interest) that are explicitly linked and NO AMOUNT of idealistic interpretation will ever uncouple the process and empirical truth of self-interest."

It seems to me that you're confusing free will for self-interest. Altruism is the purpose of an act; not the process.

The process of an altruistic act must be an act of free will. In choosing the exercise one's free will (in any capacity), one is choosing to act in accordance with one's one interests, in this case, the interest of being altruistic.

So yes, the mechanism of the action originates in self-interest, but that doesn't speak to the purpose of the act at all.

ALTRUISM= Conducting an unselfish act for the welfare of others.

Please read the above definition. It would be exponentially more productive for your personal understanding if you can reconcile the finality of the SEQUENCE OF SELF-INTEREST(primary event) and your idealistic endeavor of solely describing the secondary event (what ever that is) as some kind of magically transcending act of human selflessness.

You said " the mechanism of the action originates in self-interest, but that doesn't speak to the purpose of the act at all." Your enlightenment is embedded within your quote. The purpose of the act (secondary event) is the indulgence (mechanism) of self-interest( primary event).

P.S. The reconciliation process needs to be finalized, so that the discussion can move towards understanding the vitally important SEQUENCE OF SELF-INTEREST, and the subsequent actions of human endeavors.

boagie

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:12 pm
@Ruthless Logic,
YO!Smile

Being purely altruistic is not serving the apparent self interest of the individual. Where the individual is affected by the circumstance and thus is moved within to make an alteration of said circumstance through inacting his will through action. What was simply a possiabilty before, becomes now his will to change the circumstances of say the plight of another individual. No one says to themselves, I am now going to perform an altruistic act, one is moved by the plight of the individual in a pearilous circumstance, it is an emotional happening which alters the will of our hero, then making it his will that he should rescues the situtation/circumstance. Try to examine your own functioning, it just does not happen anyother way.

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:30 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
YO!Smile

Being purely altruistic is not serving the apparent self interest of the individual. Where the individual is affected by the circumstance and thus is moved within to make an alteration of said circumstance through inacting his will through action. What was simply a possiabilty before, becomes now his will to change the circumstances of say the plight of another individual. No one says to themselves, I am now going to perform an altruistic act, one is moved by the plight of the individual in a pearilous circumstance, it is an emotional happening which alters the will of our hero, then making it his will that he should rescues the situtation/circumstance. Try to examine your own functioning, it just does not happen anyother way.

Again, as OctoberMist said, you are conflating the purpose with the process.

Yes, all actions are a result of internal will and will always be self-motivated (to an extent). Altruism lies in the purpose, however, and people knowingly act in ways that will help another at their own expense, parents for example. It doesn't matter if a person "wants" to do it or not.

boagie

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 01:57 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Smile
It is a matter of splitting hairs here, you agree nothing happens without the will of the individual behind the action. I have stated before that this inescapable situtation of fulfilling ones will does not negate an altruistic act, it negates the pure altruistic act. We all know these things occur, so, what really is the problem with understanding that the circumstance transforms the will of the hero, and makes it his selfinterested will that alters the circumstance/situtation through the fulfilment of action.

Aedes

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 07:11 pm
@boagie,
The trouble with this whole thread is that altruism can be discussed at many levels.

I personally think the only interesting aspect is what someone intends to do.

Will, in my mind, should just be taken for granted. Subconscios aspects of altruistic acts are of psychological interest, but zero philosophical importance. And the results don't matter either, because to inadvertently help someone is not altruism.

Poseidon

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:07 pm
@Ruthless Logic,
The person who started this thread did so with the altruistic intent of teaching the rest of us altruists that altruism is a fallacy, and that we act out of self-interest.

Someone may be paying you to do this, but that would be altruistic.

They may be deriving future economic benefit by paying you, but that assumes that the financial system has a certain degree of honesty (altruism) in honouring the payment.

If it did not, the money would be better spent on a firearm for mugging someone and yielding a far greater % of return on the meagre investment of a firearm and body armour.

If self-interest and altruism were not in a swinging balance we would never have reason to reproduce, and society would never advance.

Ruthless Logic

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:56 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
The trouble with this whole thread is that altruism can be discussed at many levels.

I personally think the only interesting aspect is what someone intends to do.

Will, in my mind, should just be taken for granted. Subconscios aspects of altruistic acts are of psychological interest, but zero philosophical importance. And the results don't matter either, because to inadvertently help someone is not altruism.

How can you carelessly delude yourself from the truth of self-interest, by minimizing the actual process as some non-interesting aspect? If you actually participated or conducted research, but carelessly dismiss vitally important processes leads me to question your research credibility, and subsequent dubious findings.

If you intellectually understand( not difficult, empirically equivalent to 2+2=4) the sequence of self-interest, then you have to dismiss the idealistic endeavor of altruism, because you cannot UNCOUPLE THE SEQUENCE OF SELF-INTEREST, and put the secondary event in FRONT of the primary event, unless your like to indulge in careless consideration in an effort to soothe over your troubled emotions.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:47:30