Why is the moon red during a lunar eclipse?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

paulhanke

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:24 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:
No other light goes red from passing through the Earth's atmosphere, so why should the moon's?

... actually, all sunlight seems to turn somewhat red when passing through the earth's atmosphere ... this is because the atmosphere scatters blue waves of sunlight while the red waves pass through (at least moreso than the blue waves) ... the more atmosphere the light passes through, the more of the blue waves of sunlight that are scattered and the redder the passing sunlight appears ... it should be noted that sunlight that passes through the earth's atmosphere does not contain any more red waves than when it entered the earth's atmosphere - it's just the relative absence of blue waves that cause the red waves to become visible ... btw, it is the scattering of the blue light waves that makes the daytime sky appear blue - if it weren't for the blue scattering, the daytime sky would look just like the nighttime sky (with the exception of one big honkin' star!) ... so it is a single effect that causes the redness of lunar eclipses, the redness of sunsets, and the blueness of the daytime sky ...

John W Kelly

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:46 pm
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
...it is the scattering of the blue light waves that makes the daytime sky appear blue - if it weren't for the blue scattering, the daytime sky would look just like the nighttime sky (with the exception of one big honkin' star!) ...
This is why you can see stars from the Moon's surface during it's daytime, as it has no atmosphere to speak of.

Poseidon

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:31 pm
@John W Kelly,
Quote:

the redness of sunsets
?

A) then why are not all sunsets red?
B) and where does the green light go?
C) and why is the sky not violet, if its the shorter wavelengths that are scattered?
D) and is there an experiment we can do to prove this?
E) and did you notice that the colour of the sky is the opposite exactly of the sun?
F) and if you did, then why is that not noted in any of the Rayleigh theory?
G) and why is this red light not visible when we look at the dark side of the earth from space?
H) and why do you keep avoiding question (G) ?

:shifty:

paulhanke

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:04 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:
A) then why are not all sunsets red?

... because of differences in humidity ... water vapor scatters all light waves equally (just look at the color of a cloud!) ... the more humidity in the air, the less blue is the sky and the less red is the sunset ...

Poseidon wrote:
C) and why is the sky not violet, if its the shorter wavelengths that are scattered?

... sounds like a question for a mathematician:

Quote:

The intensity I of light scattered by a single small particle from a beam of unpolarized light of wavelength λ and intensity I0 is given by:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/b/e/8/be8d955b92a1ebd2f85c111819788c2e.png
Poseidon wrote:
D) and is there an experiment we can do to prove this?

... maybe not so much prove as demonstrate:

PROJECT 2 - Sky in a jar

What you need:a clear, straight-sided drinking glass, or clear plastic or glass jar water, milk, measuring spoons, flashlight a darkened room What to do:
  1. Fill the glass or jar about 2/3 full of water (about 8 - 12 oz. or 250 - 400 ml)
  2. Add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon (2 - 5 ml) milk and stir.
  3. Take the glass and flashlight into a darkened room.
  4. Hold the flashlight above the surface of the water and observe the water in the glass from the side. It should have a slight bluish tint. Now, hold the flashlight to the side of the glass and look through the water directly at the light. The water should have a slightly reddish tint. Put the flashlight under the glass and look down into the water from the top. It should have a deeper reddish tint.

What happened: The small particles of milk suspended in the water scattered the light from the flashlight, like the dust particles and molecules in the air scatter sunlight. When the light shines in the top of the glass, the water looks blue because you see blue light scattered to the side. When you look through the water directly at the light, it appears red because some of the blue was removed by scattering.

Poseidon wrote:
E) and did you notice that the colour of the sky is the opposite exactly of the sun?

... I'm not sure I follow ... the setting sun is red - the sky is blue ... red is on the opposite side of the visible spectrum from blue ... the point is?

Poseidon wrote:
F) and if you did, then why is that not noted in any of the Rayleigh theory?

... straight from the Wikipedia article on Rayleigh scattering:
Quote:
Rayleigh scattering causes the blue hue of the daytime sky and the reddening of the sun at sunset.

paulhanke

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:50 pm
@paulhanke,
... wow! - ya learn something new every day! :a-ok: ... while poking around for that scattering experiment, I happened across something that said that the sky of Mars appears red because scattering by dust particles dominates in its atmosphere (as opposed to the dominance of scattering by gas molecules in Earth's atmosphere) ... I thought to myself, "Well heck - if the Martian sky appears red due to the scattering of red wavelengths, does that mean that a Martian sunset appears blue?!" ... sure enough, NASA had the answer:

[CENTER]http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/MPF/ops/ss24_0.jpg
[/CENTER]

John W Kelly

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:05 pm
@paulhanke,
Thats why I am enjoying this thread....no flaming, and many ideas being exchanged!

paulhanke

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 07:15 am
@paulhanke,
paulhanke wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

... sounds like a question for a mathematician:

Quote:

The intensity I of light scattered by a single small particle from a beam of unpolarized light of wavelength λ and intensity I0 is given by:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/b/e/8/be8d955b92a1ebd2f85c111819788c2e.png

... perhaps I can also give an intuitive answer here ... the American Southwest is famous for its turquoise skies and fiery sunsets ... is turquoise blue? - actually, it's pretty close to cyan, which on the RGB color wheel is somewhere between blue and green ... is fiery red? - actually it's pretty close to orange, which on the RGB color wheel is somewhere between red and green ... so the green is still there - it's just split more or less evenly (relatively speaking, half scattered / half passed through) and mixed in with the dominant blues and reds ...

Poseidon

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 03:54 pm
@Poseidon,
G) and why is this red light not visible when we look at the dark side of the earth from space?

paulhanke

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:11 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:

... sorry - missed those two ... has anyone ever been on the moon during a lunar eclipse to look back at the dark side of the earth? ... my guess is that what you'd see is a dark ball with a red halo around it - sort of an all-around-the-world sunset! Smile ... closer in (say, in the standard space shuttle orbit), you wouldn't see this because you're too close to the earth; farther out (say, in a Mars-like orbit), all you'd see is an almost unnoticeably small dark ball passing across the sun ...

paulhanke

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 04:44 pm
@paulhanke,
Alan Bean, describing an eclipse of Apollo 12 on their return from the moon:

Quote:

As Pete Conrad, **** Gordon, and I were speeding toward Earth in our command module, we were treated to a marvelous sight never before seen by any humans. We were seeing our home planet Earth eclipse our own star, the Sun. As we were about 27,000 nautical miles out, the Earth moved to completely obscure the disk of the Sun. I reported to mission control "...the atmosphere is illuminated completely around the Earth..." Pete added, "It has blues and pinks in it, but instead of being banded, it's segmented. I don't know why."

It was hard to see the dark Earth at first, but as our eyes adjusted, we could see we were over the Indian Ocean just off the eastern most tip of Africa moving very fast, almost 25,000 miles per hour. And right down in the center of the disk of the Earth was a bright round light. It seemed to move rapidly across the clouds and water. What it was we didn't know. Only later would astronaut Rusty Schweickart tell us that strange bright moving light was a reflection of the same full moon, which was directly behind us, we had walked on only four days ago.
http://www.alanbeangallery.com/eclipse2.jpg

Poseidon

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 09:48 pm
@paulhanke,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

Quote:
... I'm not sure I follow ... the setting sun is red - the sky is blue ... red is on the opposite side of the visible spectrum from blue ... the point is?

My point is that according to my other theory
Why is the sky blue? : graphs and pictures

The sky is blue because the sun is gold.
because
A colorless substance reflects a color the opposite of that of the light that it is in.
And this is not expressed in any of the Rayleigh theory.

The Rayleigh idea (19th century before space travel) presupposes that the sun is white; and the light splits into cyan and yellow, similar to refraction. However the sun is not white. Its a type 'G' star: a yellow dwarf.

And incidently the 'blue sun phenomenon' has been seen on Earth as well.
Obviously the deserts of Egypt are similar to the dusty skies of Mars.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n60/zapricorn2000/blue-sun-giza-pyramids-pictures.jpg
Rare Blue Sun Phenomenon Photographed near Giza Pyramids ~ PLANET APEX

Although this seems to be a digression, I am pointing out the error in Rayleigh scattering, is that it presuposses a white sun. He considers the sun to appear gold, but actually be white.

So,

my original notion still holds: If the sun's light was scattered in the manner described by Rayleigh, then ALL sunsets would be red. Whereas, most are actually not red. Only in smoggy skies, or partially dusty skies are they thus.

I also find it very hard to believe that the Earth would be surrounded by a red halo when viewed from space. It seems to me that this red light would still be seen from orbit. But we ONLY see red sunsets from the surface of the Earth. We never see it from space. We would just have to move away (to the side) from directly above the centre of the Earth, and we would be in the path of this red light, and; we would still see it, at least in part.

So: if we can see the red sunsets from the surface of the Earth, why can we not see them from space?

And the milk and water experiment does not seem applicable. I did not try it, because, well, there is no milk in our skies (or our seas).

Whereas the experiment on this link Why is the sky blue? : graphs and pictures is correct. It shows that A colorless substance reflects a color the opposite of that of the light that it is in.

And therefore:
the red of the moon during a lunar eclipse, has nothing to do with the Earth's atmosphere.

I would suggest that during the lunar eclipse, from the vantage point of the Moon, the entire sky would appear red, and the Earth would appear green. Very Happy

ps
(I only considered the Doppler effect playing a role because of this discussion.)

John W Kelly

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:16 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon, you mentioned red dwarf stars in an earier post. If I am correct, these are "M" class stars. How could they ever produce enough light to cause the red color we see during a lunar eclipse?

paulhanke

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:40 am
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:

A colorless substance reflects a color the opposite of that of the light that it is in.

... I'm not sure I follow ... color by its very definition is light ... therefore any substance that reflects light has color ... so the only colorless substances in the universe are those that do not reflect light ... like glass ...

Poseidon wrote:

Although this seems to be a digression, I am pointing out the error in Rayleigh scattering, is that it presuposses a white sun. He considers the sun to appear gold, but actually be white.

... note the experiment above ... it does not presuppose a white flashlight ... in fact, tungsten light is even more yellow than the sun ... at any rate, the sun appears yellow as seen through the earth's atmosphere ... in space, it appears much closer to white ...

Poseidon wrote:

my original notion still holds: If the sun's light was scattered in the manner described by Rayleigh, then ALL sunsets would be red. Whereas, most are actually not red. Only in smoggy skies, or partially dusty skies are they thus.

... and living in the desert high plains of the American Southwest, I can tell you - all sunsets are red to some degree ... in fact, I'm looking at the red horizon of the sunrise as we speak (on a clear, calm, smogless morning) ...

Poseidon wrote:

I also find it very hard to believe that the Earth would be surrounded by a red halo when viewed from space. It seems to me that this red light would still be seen from orbit.

... apparently, you do not consider Apollo astronauts to be credible witnesses :perplexed: ... anyhoo, a photo of a sunset from low earth orbit: Sunset From Space | Geekdad from Wired.com

Poseidon wrote:
I would suggest that during the lunar eclipse, from the vantage point of the Moon, the entire sky would appear red, and the Earth would appear green. Very Happy

... why would the entire sky appear red? (there is no atmosphere on the moon to scatter the red light from red dwarfs and make it appear as if it's coming from all directions at once!) ... as well, here are a few more questions:

2) why doesn't earth's sky appear red on a moonless night?
3) why does the moon reflect red from the ambient light in the universe but the earth reflects green?
4) why aren't the clouds in the earth's sky glowing red (or green) at night?
5) why don't we here on earth see the ground in a red (or green) hue at night?
6) is there an experiment we can do to prove your assertions?
7) why doesn't the earth's sky appear to be whatever the opposite of the moon's color is during a full moon?
8) during a solar eclipse, why doesn't the earth's sky appear red and the moon green?

By the way, on your website you might want to take into account that many cameras in this day and age perform auto-white-balancing, and so the colors you see in the photos you find online are often (almost always!) not true color (unless taken by a professional photographer using a color reference card that is then used to correct back to true color using imaging software).

Poseidon

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 08:42 pm
@John W Kelly,
John W. Kelly wrote:
Poseidon, you mentioned red dwarf stars in an earier post. If I am correct, these are "M" class stars. How could they ever produce enough light to cause the red color we see during a lunar eclipse?

because of the shape of the moon/
the geometry of this diagram.

http://www.poseidons.net/philosophy/moon%20red/lunar%20eclipse%20C.gif

the red light is consentrated by the shape of the moon.

also, the doppler effect could be playing a significant role. (red shift of all distant objects)

and,

the same way that a candle at night can be seen from a large distance away, whereas during the day it is overpowered by the sun's light.

Poseidon

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:05 pm
@paulhanke,
I'm not sure I follow ... color by its very definition is light ... therefore any substance that reflects light has color ... so the only colorless substances in the universe are those that do not reflect light ... like glass ...

see the experiments on these webpages:
Color of Shadows
Why is the sky blue? : graphs and pictures

... note the experiment above ... it does not presuppose a white flashlight ... in fact, tungsten light is even more yellow than the sun ... at any rate, the sun appears yellow as seen through the earth's atmosphere ... in space, it appears much closer to white ...
its still a type G star: yellow

... and living in the desert high plains of the American Southwest, I can tell you - all sunsets are red to some degree ... in fact, I'm looking at the red horizon of the sunrise as we speak (on a clear, calm, smogless morning) ...
living at the coast, many sunsets are not red

... why would the entire sky appear red? (there is no atmosphere on the moon to scatter the red light from red dwarfs and make it appear as if it's coming from all directions at once!) ... as well, here are a few more questions:
because of the doppler effect

2) why doesn't earth's sky appear red on a moonless night?
because the red light is not concentrated by the shape of the moon.

3) why does the moon reflect red from the ambient light in the universe but the earth reflects green?
because of the experiments on the webpages above

4) why aren't the clouds in the earth's sky glowing red (or green) at night?
not red because the moon is not concentrating the light
not green because there is no red light to be opposite to (as per the experiments mentioned)

5) why don't we here on earth see the ground in a red (or green) hue at night?
same as question (4)

6) is there an experiment we can do to prove your assertions?
As for the opposite color experiments, yes, and easy to prove.

As for where the red light originates from, not that i can think of immediately, but if we cannot see the red light coming from the earth's atmosphere, then where else is it coming from? Only 2 possibilities : Red dwarfs and/or the Doppler effect.

7) why doesn't the earth's sky appear to be whatever the opposite of the moon's color is during a full moon?
from some quick web searches i have done, it does actually have a feint blue tinge, in opposition to the feint yellow colour of the full moon

8) during a solar eclipse, why doesn't the earth's sky appear red and the moon green?
2 possibilities
a) the sun's corona is strong enough to overpower this effect
b) i have not seen a full solar eclipse, but i seem to remember a red hue from the partial one, but that was at least a decade ago so not too sure.

By the way, on your website you might want to take into account that many cameras in this day and age perform auto-white-balancing, and so the colors you see in the photos you find online are often (almost always!) not true color (unless taken by a professional photographer using a color reference card that is then used to correct back to true color using imaging software).
if you do the light bulb experiment yourself you can see for yourself
(unless you are color blind!)

:flowers:

Poseidon

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:11 pm
@Poseidon,
One more point about the sunset issue:
At sunset, the sun is still visible, during a lunar eclipse it is not!

If the suns light was being bent around the earth, (as in refraction)
we would get a red glow after the sun has set.

But we do not.

John W Kelly

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:51 pm
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:
because of the shape of the moon/
the geometry of this diagram.

the red light is consentrated by the shape of the moon.

also, the doppler effect could be playing a significant role. (red shift of all distant objects)

and,

the same way that a candle at night can be seen from a large distance away, whereas during the day it is overpowered by the sun's light.
Concerning the light from red dwarfs, what would happen in six months when the Earth is in a different position in it's orbit? There should be a noticeable change in the apparent brightness of such light reaching the Moon.

paulhanke

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:27 am
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:

its still a type G star: yellow

... from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Our Sun itself is white. It is sometimes called a yellow star (spectroscopically, relative to Vega), and may appear yellow or red (viewed through the atmosphere), or appear white (viewed when too bright for the eye to see any color). Astronomy images often use a variety of exaggerated colors (partially founded in faint light conditions observations, partially in conventions). But the Sun's own intrinsic color is white (aside from sunspots), with no trace of color, and closely approximates a black body of 5780 K (see color temperature). This is a natural consequence of the evolution of our optical senses: the response curve that maximizes the overall efficiency against solar illumination will by definition perceive the Sun as white. The sun is known as a G type star.
Poseidon wrote:
living at the coast, many sunsets are not red

... again, water vapor - the desert high plain doesn't have that problem Smile ...

Poseidon wrote:

because of the doppler effect

... at most, this could possibly explain why the points of red light in the sky are red - but does it explain why this red light is scattered and makes the whole sky appear red? ...

Poseidon wrote:

because the red light is not concentrated by the shape of the moon.

... I think you misunderstood my question ... you say that the moon's sky appears red when the earth blocks the sun - why isn't the earth's sky also red on the nighttime side of the earth (where the earth is, again, blocking the sun) ... as for the moon's shape concentrating light, concave surfaces do this - not convex surfaces ... given that any light from red dwarves will be coming from all directions, the moon's sphere will be reflecting that light in all directions without any concentration ... the reason your diagram looks the way it does is because it is very selective in the light sources and directional angles it depicts - I could easily redraw it with equal selectivity to show absolutely zero light being reflected back toward the earth Smile

Poseidon wrote:
not green because there is no red light to be opposite to (as per the experiments mentioned)

... that doesn't make sense to me - why should the earth's shadow be green only when visible from the moon in its shadow? ... if the earth's shadow is green - it's green ...

Poseidon wrote:
As for the opposite color experiments, yes, and easy to prove.

... actually, it's quite easy to disprove - in the following photo, both the direct tungsten light and its shadow have strong red components and weak blue components:

http://www.paulhanke.com/experiment.jpg

Poseidon wrote:
As for where the red light originates from, not that i can think of immediately, but if we cannot see the red light coming from the earth's atmosphere, then where else is it coming from? Only 2 possibilities : Red dwarfs and/or the Doppler effect.

... again - any experiments?

Poseidon wrote:
from some quick web searches i have done, it does actually have a feint blue tinge, in opposition to the feint yellow colour of the full moon

... photos won't cut it unless there's a color correction card in the photo to show how far off from true color the photo is ...

Poseidon wrote:
2 possibilities
a) the sun's corona is strong enough to overpower this effect
b) i have not seen a full solar eclipse, but i seem to remember a red hue from the partial one, but that was at least a decade ago so not too sure.

... but isn't the light from the sun's corona so weak that you can see stars? ... and as for your memory of seeing red during a partial eclipse, how can I argue with that? Smile

paulhanke

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:30 am
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:
One more point about the sunset issue:
At sunset, the sun is still visible, during a lunar eclipse it is not!

If the suns light was being bent around the earth, (as in refraction)
we would get a red glow after the sun has set.

But we do not.

... afterglow:

http://www.paulhanke.com/afterglow-mls.jpg

... beforeglow:

http://www.paulhanke.com/images/sunrise.jpg

... moonscape? Smile

http://www.paulhanke.com/images/first-light.jpg

John W Kelly

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 09:41 am
@Poseidon,
Poseidon wrote:
...also, the doppler effect could be playing a significant role. (red shift of all distant objects)
I don't think the Doppler effect would be a very big factor for red dwarfs within our Milky Way, as all contained systems are (I would think) moving together at a fairly uniform rate.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 06:04:41