Do you believe in life after death?

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

l0ck

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:01 pm
@Pythagorean,
i guess what i meant to propose is
how is time experienced after death?
does it still seem like time?
does a past present and future exist after death?
or does the array of time completely vanish as separated events and everything appears to be occurring all at once?

pokemasterat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:09 pm
@Pythagorean,
Ask a dead person! Argh, so many questions that you have to be patient for. :3

Good questions, though, they are fun to ask.

l0ck

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:28 pm
@Pythagorean,
Quote:
Ask a dead person!

that doesnt work btw

elizabeth phil

Reply Fri 31 Aug, 2007 09:21 pm
@l0ck,
l0ck wrote:
i guess what i meant to propose is
how is time experienced after death?
does it still seem like time?
does a past present and future exist after death?
or does the array of time completely vanish as separated events and everything appears to be occurring all at once?

It seems to me that if there is a life or existence after death, time would not be able to exist, since time, in essence, is change. Everything grows old and dies with time, and everything changes with time. Unless one would believe in reincarnation, I suppose. But if one were to believe in a heaven, hell, or just a soul/spirit like existence after death, I don't see how time could be a factor in it. Would it be possible for souls to change once out of their bodily form? Could they grow? Become altered from what they were over time in the afterlife? I guess, if they could, then wouldn't life be a little pointless? If there is an afterlife, wouldn't life be the time to cultivate and mature our souls to be prepared for whatever is next? Or maybe the afterlife life is a group of stages, and this is only stage one, or something of the sort. A Hindu would say that we live these lives until we can learn to let go of our earthly shell (earthly ties, wants, desires, needs), and accept whatever awaits us in the afterlife. Hm, I don't know. If only there were a way to know for certain everything you ever wanted to know. I wonder if life would be any easier?

SU37TERMINATOR

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:44 am
@elizabeth phil,
elizabeth wrote:
A Hindu would say that we live these lives until we can learn to let go of our earthly shell (earthly ties, wants, desires, needs), and accept whatever awaits us in the afterlife.

well u got most of it, elizabeth. yes we hindus believe that u do live these lives until u get rid of ur earthltyy shells so to speak. but in truth, its more like we live these lives to find out the truth of life, and once u realize it u dont need these earthly things, which is why we are "let go..."

aussie mark

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 08:47 pm
@Pythagorean,
If there is life after death what would we be doing in the after life, catching up with our ex wives or hubands , walking down memory lane with old friends and loved ones and even old enemies. Why would we struggle with life and what it has to throw at us just to end up dying and then find out the party has just started. The question is one we will always seek an answer to , trouble is none of us will know the answer till we die and in that lies one of the many unanswered questions of life. Good food for thouht all the same. THANK YOU.

Nitish

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 03:42 am
@Pythagorean,
is there any such a thing as death first of all?

ogden

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 09:23 am
@Pythagorean,
I vote no. The reason I vote no is because I view life and all of the concepts of the mind to be a biological condition/process. so when that particular biological life stops, life ends.

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 04:27 pm
@Pythagorean,
Why would life end after "our" death?

As Ogden points out, life is a biological process. We call something "life" when it fits certain criteria generally agreed upon by scientists. In this scheme of things, biologically, the material that made up "my life" has the potential to be life after "my death".

dancinginchains

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2008 07:46 am
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean wrote:
I was wondering if anyone believes in life (or some kind of existence) after death.

Perhaps you could provide some reason if you do or do not believe in it?

Thank you -

Yes, I do believe in life after death.

This life here is all too temporary, too delicate, and for some of us the ride is over rather hastily. I guess it just makes sense to me that because this life is temporary and brief, there has to be another life that is eternal and unending - just as where there is night there is also day. It's the whole basic premise of yin and yang, as well as the pre-Socratic concept of the Unity of Opposites.

As far as religion is concerned, I can't say for certain 100% either way. This is not something to be ashamed of though as not only is faith subjective, but faith also requires personal struggle from within. That and I literally have my whole life just lying ahead of me with new experiences that are bound to take place.

philosopherqueen

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:16 pm
@Pythagorean,
I'm just going to say that I hope there is life after death because what would our time here on Earth mean? I don't like to think that I spent my years on Earth without some kind of life after death. It's hard to explain, but I have that feeling, but I guess we'll never know till we die, and then I won't know or I will.

de Silentio

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 04:27 am
@Pythagorean,
Quote:

I don't like to think that I spent my years on Earth without some kind of life after death.

Would you not consider your reputation and successes as fullfilling your need for 'life after death'. These would seem to give meaning to your life here on Earth.

philosopherqueen

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:24 am
@de Silentio,
Yes, I do consider those things, but what would life on Earth be like if no one believes in life after death?

NeitherExtreme

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 10:27 am
@philosopherqueen,
philosopherqueen wrote:
but I guess we'll never know till we die, and then I won't know or I will.

I had a funny thought (though it doesn't mean anything as far as an argument is concerned). Maybe this has been mentioned before, but it was a new thought to me...

If I believe in life after death, I will never know that I'm wrong: I can't know for certain now, and after I die I'll either stop "knowing" altogether or I will find out I'm right.

If I don't believe, I will never know that I'm right: Again, I can't know for certain now, and if after I die I still "know" anything I'll know that I was wrong.

me2lord

Reply Fri 11 Dec, 2009 08:41 pm
@Pythagorean,
Pythagorean;1929 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone believes in life (or some kind of existence) after death.

Perhaps you could provide some reason if you do or do not believe in it?

Thank you -

John 5:28-29 Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear Christ's voice and come out of their graves. ---those who have done GOOD will rise to LIVE, and those who have done EVIL will RISE TO BE CONDEMNED.

xris

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 01:51 pm
@me2lord,
me2lord;110418 wrote:
John 5:28-29 Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear Christ's voice and come out of their graves. ---those who have done GOOD will rise to LIVE, and those who have done EVIL will RISE TO BE CONDEMNED.
You have resurrected a thread from the dead and all you can do is preach. You place the man jesus into the dogmatic realm of fundamental madness. Get the behind me Satan , your invention has no place in the message of hope and forgiveness, be gone.

me2lord

Reply Sun 13 Dec, 2009 05:45 pm
@xris,
xris;110977 wrote:
You have resurrected a thread from the dead and all you can do is preach. You place the man jesus into the dogmatic realm of fundamental madness. Get the behind me Satan , your invention has no place in the message of hope and forgiveness, be gone.

The Lord is the one who spoke those words. And it will come to pass, and those who are not called into the first resurrection will come up in the 2nd resurrection as the Lord Says.

If you have not been called into the first read Rev 20:12

"I saw the dead great and small, standing before the throne, and books were open. Another book was opened which is the Book of Life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Rev 20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the Lake of Fire. The Lake of Fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the Lake of Fire.

Good deeds and doing good to others are recorded every time we do them. The day will come for those who were not called by the Father into Jesus who have done good to be resurrected and judged according to their deeds.

This is not of the doctrine if you don't believe in Jesus now you will burn in hell which is a false teaching.

God is good to those who do good to others.

xris

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 04:27 am
@me2lord,
me2lord;111045 wrote:
The Lord is the one who spoke those words. And it will come to pass, and those who are not called into the first resurrection will come up in the 2nd resurrection as the Lord Says.

If you have not been called into the first read Rev 20:12

"I saw the dead great and small, standing before the throne, and books were open. Another book was opened which is the Book of Life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.

Rev 20:14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the Lake of Fire. The Lake of Fire is the second death. If anyone's name was not found written in the Book of Life, he was thrown into the Lake of Fire.

Good deeds and doing good to others are recorded every time we do them. The day will come for those who were not called by the Father into Jesus who have done good to be resurrected and judged according to their deeds.

This is not of the doctrine if you don't believe in Jesus now you will burn in hell which is a false teaching.

God is good to those who do good to others.
So are these the words of christ your saviour? The most merciful.

me2lord

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:16 am
@xris,
xris;111153 wrote:
So are these the words of christ your saviour? The most merciful.

Yes, the verses of Revelations 20:11-15 are the Words of the Lord directly.

What one does in this life, will be judged by God for he is the creator of all things. The fallen angels are to be judged in the 1st resurrection which is near. All that has breath in it will be judged, for God created it all. His judgments are coming.

xris

Reply Mon 14 Dec, 2009 08:19 am
@me2lord,
me2lord;111214 wrote:
Yes, the verses of Revelations 20:11-15 are the Words of the Lord directly.

What one does in this life, will be judged by God for he is the creator of all things. The fallen angels are to be judged in the 1st resurrection which is near. All that has breath in it will be judged, for God created it all. His judgments are coming.
When do you think this is going to occur? Do you think he will show any mercy?

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 01:03:20