The Greatest Regret of Mankind

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Lily
 
Reply Tue 27 Oct, 2009 12:12 pm
@gotmilk9991,
Jackofalltrades;100040 wrote:

And, yes we should discuss. About pornography,....I remember as a teenager i lost a lot of time, either trying to get hold of it, or scheming to read or view it ...... I flunked my exams and part of the reason is pornography. I thought, in todays internet days, where almost every prospering urban home has an access to it - may have a harmful effect on an adolscence mind. I sound very conservative, but the young mind is susceptible to be mislead by such spread of lust and commercialised depiction of sex. Thx

But the question were about the mankind, not you as an individual. So I still think that genocide is more regretable.

gotmilk9991;100042 wrote:
You do not need to be condescending.

Sorry, my friendly humour was lost in the written words.

gotmilk9991;100042 wrote:
I was somewhat agreeing with you. I'm not saying not to discuss it I am saying that making unreasonable and irrational statements is undesirable in this forum. Subjectiveness always inhibits science.

In my very subjective opinion, almost everything is subjective:shifty:.
 
Jackofalltrades phil
 
Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:12 am
@Lily,
Lily;100139 wrote:
But the question were about the mankind, not you as an individual. So I still think that genocide is more regretable.


lets be argumentative, for a while. Can mankind reply to the question?
Its individuals like your goodself or a baddie like me who can reply.

Now, seriously, i played a game. I deliberately expanded the question of the OP, into a wider scale. I asked myslef whether i could name the Greatest Regrets (plural, u see). I listed it according to the order that crossed my mind. Its just my opinion.

Now, coming to subjectiveness, i also do not see anything wrong in pornography. I was interested in the issue of its influence across market geographies and the susciptible demographics.

As for the issue of your feeling that genocide should be placed above that, i would provoke you by saying that you are sentimental.
 
Lily
 
Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 08:38 am
@Jackofalltrades phil,
Jackofalltrades;100258 wrote:

As for the issue of your feeling that genocide should be placed above that, i would provoke you by saying that you are sentimental.

Then I'd smile and cooly and rationally say that it's probably worse, and therefor more regrettable, to be killed or tortured to death. My guess would also be that less people have gotten into trouble because of pornography than the genocides.
 
Jackofalltrades phil
 
Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 12:49 pm
@gotmilk9991,
I respect your take on that.
 
Judges-Vs-Poets
 
Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:10 pm
@gotmilk9991,
The wrestler? I read his book up to the last 10 or so pages ... I forget why.
 
gotmilk9991
 
Reply Wed 28 Oct, 2009 03:53 pm
@gotmilk9991,
I actually agree with Lily. Death is more important than pornography, in MY opinion. But that doesn't prevent someone from thinking differently. And all is subjective, that is human nature to put emotion into topics not needed to have emotion. Unfortuantely, the best we can do as humans is to be objective in someway.
 
Kroni
 
Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 08:10 pm
@gotmilk9991,
Yeah, but to say pornography is the greatest regret of humanity is just kind of unfounded. Yeah this topic is subject to opinion but in order for your opinion to be taken seriously you need arguements that are both logical and able to reinforce your position. I don't think it's right to accuse someone of just wanting attention, but it would be fair to point out that his arguement is weak, seeing as he has yet to present one.
 
Judges-Vs-Poets
 
Reply Sun 1 Nov, 2009 09:09 pm
@Kroni,
The greatest regret of any man is that he didn't give up his wish, didn't learn anything higher, didn't become silent. Obviously.
 
gotmilk9991
 
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 07:43 am
@Kroni,
Kroni;101136 wrote:
Yeah, but to say pornography is the greatest regret of humanity is just kind of unfounded. Yeah this topic is subject to opinion but in order for your opinion to be taken seriously you need arguements that are both logical and able to reinforce your position. I don't think it's right to accuse someone of just wanting attention, but it would be fair to point out that his arguement is weak, seeing as he has yet to present one.


So true, but imagine someone with whom a farce to everyone else is true, just because they don't have evidence, then why are they the wrong ones, and we the right? Perspective, is perhaps the greatest inhibitor of knowledge.
 
Jackofalltrades phil
 
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 12:06 pm
@gotmilk9991,
gotmilk9991;101241 wrote:
So true, but imagine someone with whom a farce to everyone else is true, just because they don't have evidence, then why are they the wrong ones, and we the right? Perspective, is perhaps the greatest inhibitor of knowledge.


Okay, so we have atleast three persons who have not liked the proposition on the spread of pornography, as being (one of ) Mankinds greatest regrets - a personal opinion of mine.

We have few complaints about not being presented the basis for the proposition, of being selected above genocide, of being merely an argument or an opinion.

Let me take the opportunity, to examine my thoughts and whether there was an fault in the selection. But let me present the disclaimers first, so that clarity is acheived.

1) As someone above wrote/refered to as if it my 'The' Greatest Regret. No sir, it is not THE greatest. Thats highly regretable, because it is commented even after I had explained my plural perspective or distortion or expansion of the initial query in the OP.
I am not claiming it as THE (single most) Greatest Regret.

2) The issue of whether one is wrong or right cannot be raised in a survey kind of a question. A farcical viewpoint is still a perspective of an individual - however demented the person may be. For e.g. If a 60 year old happily married man is asked oneday, suddenly of what is his greatest regret. He may say that it is his decision to get married. If you are his adult, independent married son, you would say it is a farcical opinion. His wife would be distraught at such an expression. However, his view may be entirely devoid of an objective impressions which is directly pertaining to his spouse or children or the family relationship. This is an example of not mixing the subjective application of a concept and objective reflections of facts or material evidences.
So, therefore, herein it is (the list) not being claimed that it is right.

If the narrative example above may not gel with your perspective (the chances of misunderstanding are high these days) Lets take another example of subject questions not resulting in rightness or wrongness judgement.
If someone aks 'Which is the greatest nation or individual'. Than, is there any right or wrong answers to this question?.. If one proposes a figure or a country, and thereafter, one asks the reason for that answer, if sought, would not solve the problem of the right and the wrong. Because, as you know it all depends on personal subjective judgement, prejudice and bias.


3) Now, to the question of Comparisons. How can one compare, a killing, which we all agree is a crime, and a commercial activity or business called pornography. here, i am not claiming that pornography is worse than a genocide or a ethnic cleansing. How absurd that would be!
I am not claiming that the position is deliberately put above genocide, and also, that it had anything to do to grab attention.

Now, having disclaimed, i would now try and defend my inclusion of the issue of the spread of pornography in the present times as a bane to the well being of the present society. And therefore, it should be one of the regrets of mankind.

But , of course, it would be better if you agree the above, and if interested, i will continue.
 
Kroni
 
Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2009 03:06 pm
@Jackofalltrades phil,
I see what you're saying, that there is probably no objective answer to a question like "What is the greatest regret of mankind". I wasn't trying to approach this as a question/answer post, but just one where different responses are gauged by their level of support and foundation. Rather than looking at it as "Right" and "Wrong", look at it as "Well Founded" or "Baseless". All we can do is judge the arguements given with each response and formulate an educated opinion based on those facts.
For example, I can say that the greatest regret of mankind is the invention of black licorice, but I don't have any convincing evidence to support this. On the other hand, I could say that nucleur war was the greatest regreat of mankind because it increased our destructive power more than anything in history and is a looming threat to our entire existence. (As well as the existence of many other creatures on this planet) Based on the presentation of these two arguements, a reasonable person would say that the reasons for choosing nucleur war are more convincing than the baseless arguement for black licorice.
 
Jackofalltrades phil
 
Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 11:55 am
@Kroni,
Kroni;101334 wrote:
look at it as "Well Founded" or "Baseless". All we can do is judge the arguements given with each response and formulate an educated opinion based on those facts.
For example, I can say that the greatest regret of mankind is the invention of black licorice, but I don't have any convincing evidence to support this. On the other hand, I could say that nucleur war was the greatest regreat of mankind because it increased our destructive power more than anything in history and is a looming threat to our entire existence. (As well as the existence of many other creatures on this planet) Based on the presentation of these two arguements, a reasonable person would say that the reasons for choosing nucleur war are more convincing than the baseless arguement for black licorice.


Thanks..........
I think I get your point too,......... but we need greater clarity on this. Again, the coming to a judgement is not attainable. Yes, if you want to evaluate a well founded proposal with a baseless proposal for yourself, it is fine. My only request would be that whatever your 'formulation' comes out after evaluation should not be put to reach a consensus. It will never be acheived. Again, are you serious that anyone in this forum would put up a baseless proposition. Ha ha.... come on.

Or, should i consider that you are hinting to me about my baseless Regrets. (Oh please do not hurt my ego....... please, be a bit merciful, man)

Okay, jokes apart, here's my rationale for proposing the spread of pornography as one of the regrets of Mankind.
1) The commerce is hurting the stability and peaceful nature of the society, and its individuals especially the vulnerable ones.
2) The lure of the industry is making young to believe that easy money is available and a livelihood is possible.
3) It is debasing the culture of a society, and eroding the values within a family system.
4) It is a morally wrong business activity that exploits the nature of man to profit a few people.
 
Kroni
 
Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 04:51 pm
@gotmilk9991,
I guess I was just curious about hearing your reasons for choosing that subject. And yes I know that a topic like this can never reach a consensus, you're absolutely right.
And sorry if I came off a little preachy, lol.
 
Jackofalltrades phil
 
Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 08:10 am
@gotmilk9991,
hi Kroni

If you are interested, in a related context of not only my lament agaisnt the unfrettered spread of pornography but thru my blog, i have argued a case against unrestricted access to pornography.

It took a few days for me, how to post a blog...... But it was good, i could edit and reedit (?) a lot of mistakes and grammer. Hope to see your comments.
 
Gundly
 
Reply Tue 17 Nov, 2009 06:55 pm
@gotmilk9991,
U.S. Banking system/Education system
 
IntoTheLight
 
Reply Tue 24 Nov, 2009 06:08 pm
@Gundly,
The Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978.

Look it up on YouTube.

-ITL-
 
taboo
 
Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:00 am
@gotmilk9991,
gotmilk9991;95398 wrote:
...Ghandi was able to live a violence free life... l?


Osho once said Ghandi was as violent to himself as Hitler was to others.
 
Jackofalltrades phil
 
Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 08:11 am
@taboo,
taboo;114826 wrote:
Osho once said Ghandi was as violent to himself as Hitler was to others.


Read Osho again, and dont fail to read the context.
 
ArthBH
 
Reply Fri 1 Jan, 2010 07:13 pm
@gotmilk9991,
Religion. It has warped our morality to a disturbing degree.
 
Diogenes phil
 
Reply Wed 10 Mar, 2010 11:43 pm
@gotmilk9991,
If violence is not the answer, then what is the question leading to it?
 
 

 
Copyright © 2014 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.06 seconds on 11/01/2014 at 04:45:44