Max - a case study

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Max - a case study

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:59 am
Max - a case study
This is a thread dedicated to the study of personality called Max. It is not intended in anyway to bash Max or to ostracize him. We just want to understand him. So we are beginning this study.

Please feel free to post your views below. Please refrain from bringing other topics into this thread. I would like this to stay objectively focused around studying Max.

Thank you for participating.

evanman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:15 am
Do Americans understand the term, "Wind-up merchant"?

winter 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:15 am
I will begin this thread by stating why I feel Max is a worthy case study. I would have put it in the first post, but I wanted that to remain free of my views of Max. I hope I left it free of that.

I would like mention one more thing: Please ignore Max's post in this thread. Any post Max makes here should be used for this case study, Please refrain from discussing with him here. You may do that elsewhere.

I think Max is a good case study becasuse IMHO:
    He does not contribute much to the this forum. He does not seem serious. Max exhibits some noteworthy consistent behavior. He posts here and we ignore him. So why not study some psychology? It would be sad to let this case study go to waste

Many times when reading through mailing lists, I notice that some people say things because of their mood. Sometimes people say irrate things because a sensetive topic was spoken about. One can see the cause of most peoples behaviour. However, Max is a different. He has certain attibutes that show he is not merely reacting. It seems there is ulterior motives within him. Whether he knows this or not, is unclear yet.

That brings me to another behavior I noticed. I am implying Max is male using "he" and "him." However, he has displayed some interesting behaviour concerning gender. This makes me question whether Max is male or female, even though Max seems like a guys name.

Spelling/grammar mistakes? LMK! Thanks!

winter 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:17 am
evanman wrote:
Do Americans understand the term, "Wind-up merchant"?

I don't understand the term. I'm not from the USA. I am not American either. I looked it up on answers.com and came up with some old band.

Do tell.

evanman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:19 am
A "wind-up merchant" is a person who boasts of great things, however there is little substance to what they claim.

Someone who likes to get people to believe things as a joke rather than being really serious.

sadly they might often believe their own propaganda.

winter 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:28 am
It doesn't seem that he expects us to believe him though. I mean, he lacks logic and seems to add nonsense to his post that are from "left field."

So does that mean he like for us to think he's a liar? I personaly would find no interest in:
getting people to believe things as a joke rather than really being serious

This is interesting. I am not very good at understanding people. So this kind of study helps.

Actually, I met this strange guy once. He talked and talked about everything he had done. I listened to him for about 15 minutes. I thought, "If he did even half of that, it would take him a life time." Other people seemed to swallow most of what he said. I was surprised. I had no patience for the guy. I was like he lived in a dream world.

One thing for us to remember is Max's motives. He could be acting a certain way for a certain reason. We can't really tell, yet, because we don't know him in real life. So we can only study the Max that posts on this site.

Monger 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 09:43 am
Flame Warriors by Mike Reed is a hilarious examination of "forum warriors" in their myriad forms.

I believe Max is a cross between two common warrior types, Ferrous Cranus and Troller.

I guess that by starting this thread, you've firmly established yourself as a Therapist warrior, Winter.

[size=75](all intended in good fun Smile)[/size]

winter 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:20 am
Yes, I guess it would seem that way. Though I have no intention of helping Max or flaming. I want to learn about human behaviour.

You would be the Admin then, right?

I'll also have to add Capitalista to Max's list. He seems to talk of money in many of his posts.

Monger 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 10:50 am
All I REALLY want to know is what you're wearing. [size=75](I'll leave it to you to figure out the warrior type for that)[/size]

Cookie 2

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 01:54 pm
Having left the Family not too long ago, and remembering how set I was in my opinions that had been formed during my time in TF, lasting months even after i left and experienced the other side of life, I am of the opinion that he's sort of on the same wave length, where it doesn't really matter what someone outside the group says (even if there's so much evidence). All you can assimilate and digest and speak about is what's been poured into you 2 hours every day (yes, when i left 2 hours was mandatory for Word Time a day), every day, every day.

Since Max claims never to have been IN the family, maybe he's just a really good sponge and takes in their words/doctrines faster than a regular outsider.

PS: Max, whoever you are, i still want to believe that you are reasonable somewhere inside, and that you have seen the validity and the reasoning behind having a site like this.

I wonder what kind of upbringing Max has had. I wouldn't be suprised if was an unhappy child who was never really accepted for very long by others around him, and now that he's found the attention and affection Family members dole out in abundance to "people on the line", so to speak, he feels he has to contradict not only himself/herself and anyone who speaks against his newfound "best buddies" and leaders (unfortunately for him it seems they have not been completely forthcoming with all their doctrines, or explained to him anything about the downsides of their very bizzare life)

Acheick

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 03:06 pm
Very Happy Oh, what fun, can I play?

Seriously, I've mentioned my take on Max somewhere else on this forum. First off, if he's who I think he is, and it's been pretty much confirmed to me that he is, he has been around for awhile. He's already been banned from two other sites. Monger, I think you're spot on about Max (flame poster, etc.), though I haven't had a chance to read the definitions, but I've been told them before - so just relying on memory here (not a good thing).

Anyway, I'm curious as to why there are people like that, you know, who like to nest themselves or embed themselves in some sort of forum and then proceed to act bi-polar, which Max does and maybe why he doesn't make sense half the time. Sometimes he's nice and you almost like him, then suddenly he wigs out.

Is it just me, or does he have the same personality as JayJayJayJay?? remember him? Seriously, same logic, same mind games, etc.

Anyway, I think it's highly dubious that he is a current F. member, otherwise he wouldn't have so much time on the net. Or else, he was at one time for a short time and then picked up whatever else he needed to know from reading the sites. Also, F. members have come here in the past and never been so crafty and devious, they usually get emotional, defensive and hang up. No staying power whatsoever. My take - next....

winter 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:03 pm
I wonder if we can establish a few things we know about Max, such as:

He knows too much about TF to be an outsider or new to it.
Does he have a forum membership? Or is he always posting as Guest?
He has enough time to type quite a bit. I have not been to all the forums or read all the recent topics. Though he seems to show up in all of them.

I guess it's time to ask some questions and see what kind of conclusions we can draw:

Is he in TF?
Was he in TF?

I guess I am looking for evdidence that suggests he is not, as a few of us have noted that it seems he is or was, etc.

Any other questions we can ask about Max?

Monger wrote:
All I REALLY want to know is what you're wearing. [size=75](I'll leave it to you to figure out the warrior type for that)[/size]

I don't get it. I'm not that good at figurig out subtle hints and the like.

Monger 1

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:26 pm
winter wrote:
Monger wrote:

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/perv.htm

The cartoon cracks me up. Bad humor, I know.

Acheick

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:50 pm
Monger wrote:

My favorite was Patois - the ESL poster. OMG, I couldn't stop laughing. Especially having spent quite a bit of time lately on some ME sites. That guy who wrote that is hilarious. I think sometimes I'm furious typist. Actually, I'm a recovering furious typist :wink:

Cookie 2

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 07:56 pm
I am of the opinion that Max is on this site for the following reasons, Perhaps other reasons as well, but I think at least one of these should be right, heh.

Max

1.) Has a lot of free time (or like me can write from work) and has nothing better to do (like me, when i am posting Laughing ).

2.) Likes someone romantically in The Family, and can't help standing up for TF (honor at stake).

3.) Is deep down really a good guy/gal (maybe even really smart), but is misguided (by family members?) and can't help debating what is not first hand knowledge ("Never been in TF").

4.) Has been hurt by an Ex'er.

5.) Hears voices that make him/her, and don't let up.

6.) All of the above.

Cookie 2

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2006 08:07 pm
Monger, Shocked really! The Perv?!

Hee! Razz

very funny, dude. very funny.

Laughing

winter 1

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 12:04 am
Monger wrote:
winter wrote:
Monger wrote:

http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/warriorshtm/perv.htm

All of those cartoons are pretty good. I hope you weren't trying to tell me I am a perv. OK, that sounds like Weenie... Never mind.

max 1

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 02:06 am
Re: Max - a case study
winter wrote:
This is a thread dedicated to the study of personality called Max. It is not intended in anyway to bash Max or to ostracize him. We just want to understand him. So we are beginning this study.

Please feel free to post your views below. Please refrain from bringing other topics into this thread. I would like this to stay objectively focused around studying Max.

Thank you for participating.

Dear Doris
I am honored that you have dedicated a topic to me.
However, I am non-to honored that you have advised people not to respond to any points that I may wish to make here in my defense or otherwise.
Even Sadam Hussein is being allowed to respond and for that matter so was Herman Goring and I’m not half as naughty.
That’s how the Nazi’s came to power in W2 not allowing people to respond!
It seems to me to be dictatorial, but whatever, one must be grateful for small gifts.
Of course the majority should not be allowed to be dictated to by the minority and In that respect I see the “Mutual Appreciation Societyâ€

Acheick

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:14 am
hmmm...scratching head....now this is interesting. Max has a fixation on a character named yellowman that no one has ever heard of. Do you think he pulled it out of his hat or is it something he thinks he can throw us off on?

winter 1

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:27 am
There is yelloman and there's the names he comes up with - usually the wrong gender.

He's also got his finance agenda in this post as well as his history knowledge. Hmmm... I think I should read more about psychology. I am just so used to people keeping all their weirdness inside - how they do in TF. Then when they get drunk, they screw everything that moves or cry or yell or some other dumb stuff.

Maybe Max is using this site and his way to let off his inside wierdness...?

One thing I noticed is that orphans boast. Max does other things like side with TF that makes him very odd. His reasons for even coming to this site if he likes TF are unclear. Has anyone ever done that before? I mean, you old timers, have you seen anyone just happen upon this site and side with TF?

1. xFamily
  2. » General
  3. » Max - a case study
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 06:52:42