Save us all from bad ideas!

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

max 1

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:02 am
CB wrote:
Why do you prefer not to use statistics? TFI does. Claire Borowick does. No reason to take their word for things when you can calculate the numbers yourself. Unless, of course, you want to resort to a non-argument like, "Well, that's your opinion."

A decision to confront Claire Borowick has nothing to do with my personal strength. Why waste time & energy confronting a pathological liar for the umpteenth time? Claire has been confronted on several occasions by a number of people about the veracity of her public statements, and her response is always the same: Deny and obfuscate. If you want to hold her up as a credible source of information about TFI's history, maybe you should get to know a few of the people whose lives have been permanently damaged by her bold-faced lies, denials, and coverups. Better yet, learn how to do your own statistics and determine for yourself whether her claims about TFI's sociology of suicides are correct.

I have already stated several times why I prefer not to use statistics and I do not intend to keep repeating myself over and over again as is the want and need of some people.
As I have already said, with respect to Ms Claire Borowick’s views that is something you should take up directly with her and not rely on other people to do the work for you.
If you have the courage of your convictions and the personal strength, then you will do this, irrepective of cost and time.
If a dog barks and growls at you because he is afraid of you, and the more afraid you are of him, the more afraid he is of you!
I’m a firm believer that one should confront people face to face and not rely on heresy and websites.
I’m sure Ms Claire Borowick is very busy but maybe she or one of her colleagues could and would fit you in!
If you would prefer or are unable to meet with Ms Claire Borowick then as I said, you could contact a spokesperson from “The Church of Scientologyâ€

Anonymous

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 11:36 am
Jeremy Spencer? Ha!
Why is Max/Guest incessantly pushing current-Family-member Jeremy Spencer's new album on each and every post to which he submits? I have seen him bring it up more than 5 times in his various posts--even going as far as asking if anyone knows what Spencer is doing now (more than once)? It's a rather tranparent sales job if you ask me. The agenda is clear.

Anonymous

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 12:00 pm
Re: Jeremy Spencer? Ha!
Stecar wrote:
Why is Max/Guest incessantly pushing current-Family-member Jeremy Spencer's new album on each and every post to which he submits? I have seen him bring it up more than 5 times in his various posts--even going as far as asking if anyone knows what Spencer is doing now (more than once)? It's a rather tranparent sales job if you ask me. The agenda is clear.[/quote

Thank you for confirming to me that he is a current member of TFI, which I was not aware of.
At least you were able to enlighten me as opposed to my having to enlighten other people!
Have you listened to it ? or is it the case that ex members cannot bare to think that someone who is a current member have achieved greatness!

Love God Bless

Max aka Guest

Anonymous

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 12:09 pm
greatness?
You mention John Travolta and Tom Cruise numerous times with relish, using them as your posterchildren as if they legitimize these fringe cults. You know you're reaching into the muck when the only name you can wave around for TF is Jeremy Spencer, when he is the closest thing to a celebrity "legitimizer" you can find. Ha ha. How about Jacquim Phoenix? Wasn't he one of you guys as a child?

max 1

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:31 pm
Re: greatness?
Stecar wrote:
You mention John Travolta and Tom Cruise numerous times with relish, using them as your posterchildren as if they legitimize these fringe cults. You know you're reaching into the muck when the only name you can wave around for TF is Jeremy Spencer, when he is the closest thing to a celebrity "legitimizer" you can find. Ha ha. How about Jacquim Phoenix? Wasn't he one of you guys as a child?

I believe I have mentioned John Travolta & Tom Cruise twice in two separate postings and did so since most people are aware of them and who they are.
They are indeed high profile members of the “Church of Scientologyâ€

Anonymous

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 06:25 pm
Quote:
Thank you for confirming to me that he is a current member of TFI, which I was not aware of. At least you were able to enlighten me as opposed to my having to enlighten other people! Have you listened to it ? or is it the case that ex members cannot bare to think that someone who is a current member have achieved greatness!

There's an article about Jeremy Spencer if you bother to look under People: Current and Former Members.

http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/Jeremy_Spencer

I have little doubt that Spencer deserved to be inducted in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame for his mastery of the slide guitar. Nevertheless, I'm not all that impressed with his work since joining TFI and leaving Fleetwood Mac. I thought his second solo album sucked when it came out in 1972--and I was a Family member at the time. For the most part, I'm not interested in music with heavy-handed, ideologically-based lyrics. I'm also not that big of a blues fan anymore, so I'm not likely to hunt down Spencer's newest albumn to see what's going on.

I think the stuff his children are doing is more progressive. It's interesting that Jynxt is donating proceeds from album sales to education aimed at prevening gay bashing. You can rest assured that wouldn't have happened if they were still members of TFI. So tell me, do you have the hots for one of the boys in the band? Is that what your sycophantic interest in the Family is about?

Here's the deal about Spencer Senior: The rules that apply to him only apply to about 2% of the Family's membership. That's because he's independently wealthy and has lived off the royalties from his Fleetwood albums for over three decades. He can pretty much do whatever he wants as long as he doesn't badmouth Berg or Zerby. That's not how it is for the other 98% of the membership. I wouldn't call him a typical disciple.

Anonymous

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:17 pm
Elephants Never Forget
CB wrote:
If you want to hold her up as a credible source of information about TFI's history, maybe you should get to know a few of the people whose lives have been permanently damaged by her bold-faced lies, denials, and coverups.

Don't forget the ones whose lives were permanently damaged by her sexual and psychological child abuse and exploitation, sexual and financial. Inlcuding me and some of the people I care most about in the world. It changes yo when you are deprived of everything you care about, when you are separated from what makes live worth living and dignity possible.

max 1

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:30 am
CB wrote:
Quote:
Thank you for confirming to me that he is a current member of TFI, which I was not aware of. At least you were able to enlighten me as opposed to my having to enlighten other people! Have you listened to it ? or is it the case that ex members cannot bare to think that someone who is a current member have achieved greatness!

There's an article about Jeremy Spencer if you bother to look under People: Current and Former Members.

http://www.xfamily.org/index.php/Jeremy_Spencer

I have little doubt that Spencer deserved to be inducted in the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame for his mastery of the slide guitar. Nevertheless, I'm not all that impressed with his work since joining TFI and leaving Fleetwood Mac. I thought his second solo album sucked when it came out in 1972--and I was a Family member at the time. For the most part, I'm not interested in music with heavy-handed, ideologically-based lyrics. I'm also not that big of a blues fan anymore, so I'm not likely to hunt down Spencer's newest albumn to see what's going on.

I think the stuff his children are doing is more progressive. It's interesting that Jynxt is donating proceeds from album sales to education aimed at prevening gay bashing. You can rest assured that wouldn't have happened if they were still members of TFI. So tell me, do you have the hots for one of the boys in the band? Is that what your sycophantic interest in the Family is about?

Here's the deal about Spencer Senior: The rules that apply to him only apply to about 2% of the Family's membership. That's because he's independently wealthy and has lived off the royalties from his Fleetwood albums for over three decades. He can pretty much do whatever he wants as long as he doesn't badmouth Berg or Zerby. That's not how it is for the other 98% of the membership. I wouldn't call him a typical disciple.

CB Worte

Max Reply
At least we agree on Jeremy Spencer’s mastery of the slide guitar and his indictment into the “Rock & Roll Hall Of Fameâ€

Piram

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 06:54 am
max wrote:
Max Reply
At least we agree on Jeremy Spencer’s mastery of the slide guitar and his indictment into the “Rock & Roll Hall Of Fameâ€

Anonymous

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 11:34 am
Piram wrote:
max wrote:
Max Reply

Piram

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:10 pm
Anonymous wrote:
Piram wrote:
max wrote:
Max Reply

exSharon

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 02:13 pm
Re: Save us all from bad ideas!
Hrodulf wrote:
I found out about COG from wikipedia several months ago, and recently saw the Dr. Phil episode about it. What's struck me even more than how this is clearly among the worst excesses of idiotic hippie ideas about sex, it's comparable to Nazi Germany in terms of horrible, horrible, horrible ideas being put into practice and ruining people's lives.

A lot of the responsibility goes to David Berg and his obvious mental issues, but what of his followers? It is puzzling that, time and again, a bad idea in an attractive disguise can take on a life of its own and wreak havoc on a mass scale.

If there's anything we can take away from all of this, it's that as long as people gravitate towards what makes them feel good emotionally, or what superficially seems right, even if it's actually bad or destructive (which they can't see because they've been misled), this is going to happen again and again.

And that's truly a shame.

What the Family devolved into was not a result of hippie ideology but was about Berg's character and his perversions. Berg even tried to blame it on the "hippies" after media around the world began to sink it's teeth into the extent of the damage of Berg doctrines. Speaking as a youth that was recruited as a teen and who left before Berg blamed the hippies, I can say that the Family seemed at first to be a refuge from excesses whether it be drugs or other aspects of life out of control and I didn't know any people who were recruited then who were pedophiles. I can't say there weren't any but there weren't even any children around except a few that were cloistered within the family mostly at TSC. It seems Berg blaming his pedophiliac tendencies and his sexualization of the Family as a whole on hippies has worked some even in the minds of those born into the family.
Pedophilia and sexual exploitation were not well looked upon by "hippies". Yes, the sixties and early seventies were rife with adults for "free sex" meaning marriage was not the end all and be all. That is what youth of the sixties and seventies were exploring. That and "mind expansion" via chemistry. They were not exploring prostitution and pedophilia. Berg was not a hippie. But what he saw in hippies was a vulnerable bunch of youth who were looking for meaning and purpose in life and who espoused a lot of magical thinking.
This is a part of COG history that I would like to see re-evaluated on exer sites. Berg did a good job blaming his illness and perversions on the hippies. It worked because even many who grew up in the family believe that.
Look at Karen Zerby current leader. She was not a hippie and she grew up in a strict Christian atmosphere. She looked like a nerd with cat eye glasses and old lady dress style when she was in the family in the early days.
I don't look back at what berg instituted as being about sexual freedom at all but rather about sexual bondage and exploitation but that was not instituted at large for years to come. I left at a time when it was clear what was heading towards children who were largely babies to pre teens. It was clear Berg had in mind sending them to camps to be trained, considering the "adults" at 12 and encouraging child/adult sex in the name of showing children that sex was not "bad" but something good.
I am sure there were some with a predisposition towards perverse attractions who were tickled pink that Berg opened up those avenues but I am certain that the vast majority of members at the time were shocked at what Berg was advocating.We were shocked but did not speak up against it while in the family or if we did we were dealt with in various devastating ways or felt trapped and wrong for doubting. Perhaps as time went on, only those with an attraction to those perversions stuck. Or some were recruited when the sex was the recruiting methodology of choice and so that was their attraction.
But it didn't start with the hippies. It started with berg and was not attractive to most of those early "hippie" converts.

Day 1

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:22 pm
ex-Sharon wrote:
I am certain that the vast majority of members at the time were shocked at what Berg was advocating.We were shocked but did not speak up against it while in the family or if we did we were dealt with in various devastating ways or felt trapped and wrong for doubting.

I think so, too. It seemed to come down to being either "damned if you do, or damned if you don't."

Piram

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:10 am
Day wrote:
ex-Sharon wrote:
I am certain that the vast majority of members at the time were shocked at what Berg was advocating.We were shocked but did not speak up against it while in the family or if we did we were dealt with in various devastating ways or felt trapped and wrong for doubting.

I think so, too. It seemed to come down to being either "damned if you do, or damned if you don't."

This is basically why, when my wife and I started to see what was happening, we decided to leave before it affected us in a much more direct way, like having our baby girl abused, etc. -- and we were convinced that this was not something to "sit down and reason out" with the local "shepherd"! -- We pretty much knew all his pat answers, etc. -- and judging from what Pickus apparently did to his ex-wife later in Hawaii(I read an article here which says that he and a group of thugs broke into her home kidnapped the children and beat her up), I´m glad we left at night! -- Even so, he came to the boat we were leaving on, but in front of so many witnesses, I suppose the only thing he could is what he did -- tell us we were "leaving God´s will" and that he would pray for us, etc. I can assure you that we did heave a big sigh of relief when that ship set sail, however... Smile

Anonymous

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 03:27 am
The Lord's Day as Sunday was called from Apostolic times has always been accorded special attention in the history of the Church because of its close connection with the very core of the Christian mystery.
It is a day of rest.
That said, today is the Italian Grand Prix.
Nothing like the smell and sight of burning rubber!
Have a relaxing day and try not to worry about Life the Universe and everything that has happened to you or may happen to you!
Douglas Adam’s had the answer?

Love, God Bless & Forgive You All

Max aka Guest

Piram

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:42 am
Anonymous wrote:
The Lord's Day as Sunday was called from Apostolic times has always been accorded special attention in the history of the Church because of its close connection with the very core of the Christian mystery.
It is a day of rest.
Max aka Guest

It doesn´t make much difference to me which day anybody decides to rest, or go to church, or whatever. But to proclaim that Sunday was called, and, I take this to mean, generally accepted, as "The Lord´s Day" from apostolic times is showing ignorance. It is now a day of rest and worship for many, true, but if you´re insinuating that it was declared such in the scriptures, please show me the scriptures, if you don´t mind. Again, I think people should do what they want to do on Sunday, or on Saturday -- but to declare "unequivocally", that Sunday has a "close connection with the very core of the Christian mystery" is a statement which does not have much of a solid foundation, as far as I can see. -- The Sunday people, finally, after centuries of debate, won over the Saturday people, fair enough -- and that´s fine with me -- but the selection of this day, by no means, has any clear foundation in any Scriptures I´ve ever read. I haven´t seen definitive proof that Saturday was the Sabbath, either -- although I have noticed that, for example, the Spanish language uses the word "Sábado"(Sabbath) for Saturday.
I do think it´s a great idea to take a rest of at least 1-2 days a week, though!

Acheick

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:42 am
Quote:

Quote:
This is basically why, when my wife and I started to see what was happening, we decided to leave before it affected us in a much more direct way, like having our baby girl abused, etc. -- and we were convinced that this was not something to "sit down and reason out" with the local "shepherd"! -- We pretty much knew all his pat answers, etc. -- and judging from what Pickus apparently did to his ex-wife later in Hawaii(I read an article here which says that he and a group of thugs broke into her home kidnapped the children and beat her up), I´m glad we left at night! -- Even so, he came to the boat we were leaving on, but in front of so many witnesses, I suppose the only thing he could is what he did -- tell us we were "leaving God´s will" and that he would pray for us, etc. I can assure you that we did heave a big sigh of relief when that ship set sail, however... Smile

What a tale. Your wife is lucky she had a husband like you to take her out. Wish I had had the same.

Piram

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:57 am
Acheick wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

What a tale. Your wife is lucky she had a husband like you to take her out. Wish I had had the same.

And our then-baby girl is now a brilliant and very successful professional rock singer, dancer, and model who also speaks 4 languages -- and we are very, very proud of her!!! Thank God we got out when we did!!!

evanman

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 01:26 pm
Sabbath, or Shabat, or Shabbis (for the Yiddish speakers to this site) begins at around 6:00 pm Friday, and ends around 6:00 pm Saturday. So Sabbath actually begins on a Friday and ends on a Saturday.

The first day of the week, which many call "The Lord's Day" actually begins on a Saturday (Approx 6:00 pm) and ends on a Sunday (Approx 6:00 pm).

If we are to go by Jewish time (which the Bible does, being a Jewish book).

Also, to advocate gambling as a godly way of making money is totally out of kilter with the teaching of the Bible.

Interesting the similarities between CoG/TF and Mormonism. A lot of LDS's (Latter Day Saints) income is generated from casinos in Las Vegas.
Quote:
Persecuted for a long time, particularly because of its now abolished tradition of polygamy, the Mormon Church is based in Salt Lake City, the "promised land", in neighbouring Utah. There is still a large Mormon community in Nevada. Although the sect bans both gambling and alcohol, its - substantial - financial interests include casinos and hotel chains.

http://mondediplo.com/2000/08/06vegas

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2005/Mar-27-Sun-2005/opinion/946733.html

Quote:
Nevada’s dominant religion is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Mormons. If the Mormons wanted to, they could put a stop to gambling and prostitution in Nevada.

http://www.giveshare.org/BibleStudy/098.gambling.html

Quote:
Denton and Morris detail the amazing rise and reach of Meyer Lansky – the mind that ran the city; exactly how criminals, politicians, and businessmen worked together to control Las Vegas; the curious interplay of the city with the fates of Joseph, John F., and Robert Kennedy; how Howard Hughes and J. Edgar Hoover vastly intensified the city's corruption; how Mormon bankers and Wall Street financiers have bankrolled and profited from casinos ruled by organized crime; how a handful of dedicated journalists and law enforcement officers were destroyed before they could expose the city's secrets.

The Money and the Power is a detailed and illuminating chronicle of an extraordinary place and time – and a provocative reinterpretation of twentieth-century American history.

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=92-0375414444-0

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,615154461,00.html

Acheick

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 06:57 pm
Piram wrote:
Acheick wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

And our then-baby girl is now a brilliant and very successful professional rock singer, dancer, and model who also speaks 4 languages -- and we are very, very proud of her!!! Thank God we got out when we did!!!

Good -- and there are quite a few SGs who are doing the same but all on their own without parents or parents that have dumped them. And when they perform in whatever manner, there is no one in the audience to beam with pride. I always feel for them whenever one of my kids does well. I think I wrote a poem about that somewhere on this site.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:05:30