Hi from a fan of Heraclitus, Lau Tzu and Itzhak Bentov

  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hi from a fan of Heraclitus, Lau Tzu and Itzhak Bentov

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

richrf
 
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 12:47 am
Hi everyone,

I live in Chicago. Began reading about philosophy many moons ago. As life developed, it made me develop along with it. I've studied Western and Eastern philosophy and lived the same. Parallels between Heraclitus and Lao Tzu, have been a great source of interest and amusement. I wish I knew ancient Greek and Chinese, but alas I am living now not then. I am not sure it would make a difference. I don't think I understand my girlfriend. Heck, I don't think I even understand myself. Doubt I would understand Heraclitus.

I have a blog, which I just started at My Meaning of Life and Philosophy, which I will use to convey my thoughts, so that two thousand years from now, no one will be confused about me like they are about Heraclitus. I think ahead.

Looking forward to some lively learning and discussions.

Rich
 
jgweed
 
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 09:48 am
@richrf,
The fragments of Heraclitus are always worth pondering, and we can always interpret them as we please. Even with the most careful composition, there are many different interpretations possible---so be warned than two thousand years from now, you thought may also be enigmatic.
Welcome to Philforum.
John
 
richrf
 
Reply Sun 7 Jun, 2009 10:13 am
@jgweed,
jgweed;67110 wrote:
The fragments of Heraclitus are always worth pondering, and we can always interpret them as we please. Even with the most careful composition, there are many different interpretations possible---so be warned than two thousand years from now, you thought may also be enigmatic.
Welcome to Philforum.
John


Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, everything is always open to interpretation. So much for Objectivism. Sometimes I even wonder what I meant when I said or did something? :bigsmile:

Regards,
Rich
 
Theaetetus
 
Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 06:46 pm
@richrf,
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard.
 
richrf
 
Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;67838 wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard.


Hi there! Thanks for the welcome.

Rich
 
GoshisDead
 
Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:18 am
@richrf,
A bigg Woot Woot for Lao Tzu

Cheers and Welcome,
Russ
 
richrf
 
Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 08:08 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;67911 wrote:
A bigg Woot Woot for Lao Tzu

Cheers and Welcome,
Russ


Hey there! Thanks for the welcome Russ.

Rich
 
Victor Eremita
 
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:14 am
@richrf,
I wish I had time to get into Chinese Philosophy; but the best I could do is read summaries, but I don't want to do that, I want to read the primary texts...

Welcome to the forums by the way
 
richrf
 
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 08:14 am
@Victor Eremita,
Victor Eremita;68216 wrote:
I wish I had time to get into Chinese Philosophy; but the best I could do is read summaries, but I don't want to do that, I want to read the primary texts...

Welcome to the forums by the way


Hi Victor,

Eastern philosophy is very interesting, and very much parallels Heraclitus. No matter whether you read the original or otherwise, you will have come up with different understandings. All the translations are different. For me, I read and I experience, and I develop my own understanding of Life. Much of my understanding, comes not from books or teachers, but from practicing Tai Chi, Chinese medicine, yoga, and above all, observing myself and others. It is all there, for one to see.

Hope to see you around,

Rich
 
Vice
 
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:34 am
@richrf,
First off, Vice comes from a nick-name given to me because I look like one of the guys in the original tv show Miami Vice, not from how I live or debate.

I'm a philosophy major. I want to know all of philosophy, and I guess that means I'm going to be here for a while.
 
richrf
 
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 01:01 pm
@Vice,
Vice;68304 wrote:
First off, Vice comes from a nick-name given to me because I look like one of the guys in the original tv show Miami Vice, not from how I live or debate.

I'm a philosophy major. I want to know all of philosophy, and I guess that means I'm going to be here for a while.


I hope you enjoy your stay, and we have a chance to converse.

Rich
 
Vice
 
Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 07:58 pm
@richrf,
richrf;68330 wrote:
I hope you enjoy your stay, and we have a chance to converse.

Rich


looking forward to it.
 
 

 
  1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » Hi from a fan of Heraclitus, Lau Tzu and Itzhak Bentov
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 08/12/2022 at 05:45:14