i deplore making introductions

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » i deplore making introductions

Get Email Updates Email this Topic Print this Page

salima

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 07:00 pm
hello out there-
i dont know anyone who can discuss ethics and morals, so i was looking for a community online. want to test the waters and see what the temperature is.

have not had enough time to look around but registered because i wanted to reply to a post asking for help. back to my reading...:detective:
salima

Justin

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 11:13 pm
@salima,
Warm welcome to you salima! You've definitely found a community that is happy to discuss ethics and morals in a manner of mutual respect and consideration. Glad you've found us and hope you enjoy the community!

Catchabula

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 09:13 am
@salima,
The turmoil that you will find here is the turmoil in the heart of man. Sometimes enters a true wise, and I smell roses here. What a great post in the "creative" section! Please give more...

salima

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:45 pm
@Catchabula,
thanks catchabula-
but that was some 5 dimensional being doing the talking, i was only translating. i will try and post something in the creative writing area that is my own. maybe then you will see garlic and weeds instead of roses.
salima

Krumple

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:27 pm
@salima,
Howdy salima,

"i dont know anyone who can discuss ethics and morals."

I think they both are so objective that there never is a truely defined line where they reside. Seems to move along with the flavor of the day. Once upon a time we were perfectly content with slavery, you can point fingers and blame a certain group for why it happened but bottom line is it was still a human endeavor regardless. But we have transcended that thinking or attitude and have adjusted our ethics and morals accordingly and perhaps we will continue to do so as we become more considerate of other people and their culture or beliefs.

I could make the argument that driving a car is more unethical than drinking alcohol but at this current time I'll get bashed for making such a comment. But if you purely take reducing deaths into consideration, more people are killed in auto accidents than deaths due to alcohol. Yet one is viewed as sinful or degenerate while the other is viewed perfectly reasonable. How can they both be true? So perhaps one day that might change but not any time soon I bet.

Anyways, welcome to the forum,

Theaetetus

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:38 pm
@salima,
Welcome Salima! You have found a wonderful community that will be more than willing to converse with you about ethics and morals. It is one of my focuses in school, so I am sure that we will run into each other in the future.

salima

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 12:05 am
@salima,
"But we have transcended that thinking or attitude and have adjusted our ethics and morals accordingly and perhaps we will continue to do so as we become more considerate of other people and their culture or beliefs."
"I could make the argument that driving a car is more unethical than drinking alcohol"

hi Krumple-yes, i do believe ethics is something that has changed and will continue to change. we have a long long way to go...
i think it might be easier to prove that it is more dangerous to drive a car than drink alcohol...but ethics is more complicated. assuming it were possible to be sure no one else would suffer, and i dont think it is...is it unethical to endanger only yourself?

"I would rather be governed by one wise person than by millions of stupid people."

thanks, Theaetetus. i love that quote!

Krumple

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 05:02 am
@salima,
Hi salima

"is it unethical to endanger only yourself?"

Well driving doesn't just endanger yourself and there is always a potential to harm not only another driver but a pedestrian too. I know I'm tugging on an issue that seems a little silly but you already get what I mean by how our morals or ethical values are subject to change but subject to social or political acceptance.

The world seems gray to me because there is good points to every argument as well as the bad.

salima

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:57 am
@salima,
hi krumple,
i guess i didnt make my meaning very plain, sorry. i was thinking that driving is endangering everyone, but alcohol or drugs usually endangers yourself only-of course it brings a lot of grief to family members, but usually not death. and i have my own personal opinion that being drunk doesnt make you a different person-in other words, you cant say it was the hootch when someone kills someone, i think rather it is a case of just allowing his inherent tendencies to surface. of all the drunks that i have known, i only found the nice guys or happy guys to be even more so when they were drunk, but the aggressive ignorant arrogant jerks already were before they drank, they just kept it hidden sometimes. i could be wrong of course, i havent made a scientific study of drunks...

so what i was getting at is, whether it is drinking or even in the case of suicide if you knew for sure no one would be hurt but yourself, is that ethical? i guess this is going to turn into a suicide discussion. is it ethical to take your own life. but that wasnt my intention to introduce a new thread.

i personally think you have a valid point. as a matter of fact, i only drove for two years and then quit because i knew i was really bad at it and someone was definitely going to get hurt. even so, i ended up getting hit by cars twice when i was walking. i was in at least three ...no, four motor accidents as a passenger that i can remember. it got so that i was afraid of getting into a car because i could see how badly people were driving.

then i came to india. what a difference! people here drive like they are in a choreographed program. they actually LOOK where they are going and they actually SEE everything even behind their backs without looking, they can sense things. we can drive for hours without any traffic lights-the city i first lived in had one or two which were always turned off. there was NO stopping ever-continuous movement until you reach your destination.

of course the big cities are getting just as bad as america. instant road rage-everyone thinks he is the only person on the road-yada yada yada

1. Philosophy Forum
  2. » New Member Introductions
  3. » i deplore making introductions
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 09:49:22